Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

Shaytan

Just a sad thing that the 'youth of today' believe that power equates to awesomeness, when that's not the case at all.

As has been discussed, the lower power of any console is an issue mostly because of multiplatform titles. If the development target for developers is the PS4/Xbone performance and the Switch doesn't perform well enough, then it might not get the titles it otherwise might have.

See how the Wii U got a lot of the same games as PS3/360 but none (AFAIK) of the PS4/Xbone-only titles.

Plus, instead of being a separate accessory it's actually a support to stick the console into - leading to believe it might be 1080p and running at 60FPS - making the headset a much more cheaper accessory, and also remove the cables inconvenience of the competitors because the console itself would be part of the headset. Note nothing is confirmed, but it's more of a very possible thing to hit the shelves.

Hmm considering that the current VR headsets weigh 500-600 grams and the Switch can't be significantly heavier than that if it wants to be a portable console... It could be doable. Sounds silly on the surface but I'm sure Nintendo will do their best to avoid another Virtualboy.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Just a sad thing that the 'youth of today' believe that power equates to awesomeness, when that's not the case at all.

As has been discussed, the lower power of any console is an issue mostly because of multiplatform titles. If the development target for developers is the PS4/Xbone performance and the Switch doesn't perform well enough, then it might not get the titles it otherwise might have.

See how the Wii U got a lot of the same games as PS3/360 but none (AFAIK) of the PS4/Xbone-only titles.

Hence the second part to my comment that stated that the negative aspect is that developers may be put off by having to make Switch specific titles that are of lesser quality than newer titles for the One/PS4. It could go either way though; If the Switch is an absolute best-seller, then companies will be more open to making specific titles for the console, or down-graded versions of new titles, but if the Switch sells poorly, then 3rd party support will also dwindle, thus Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot yet again.

KilnerLUFC.gif

That VR concept looks all cool and fancy until you swing your head a little bit too strong and jumps the switch tablet out like a f*cking toaster.

I think both of your arguments lead to believe it can be successful considering the advantages over the competitors, but it depends how well Nintendo takes the concept in practice. It's worth to keep in mind the Switch wasn't intended to have any connection to VR, the only time Nintendo talked about the subject was a few months back when they stated they didn't thought VR could be fun or interesting but seeing the interest people got on the matter made them reconsider (although I don't have a source atm).

BTW, Samsung has already been doing VR headsets using the same concept, and so has Google with their Cardboard project. Those are indeed not the best out there, but it proves it's nothing that absurd or that could not work - if it follows the principle being a relatively simple accessory would make it cheap, plus the fact you'd only need the already built-in controllers, this would the cheapest and most straightforward gaming VR headset yet.

On a side note, the second video Dr. John had shared already had a peak on this patent but the way I formulated my last post would lead to believe it was an unknown thing. I admit I had only watched his first video, and then was too tired to reformulate everything I've already written.

Edited by Zombified Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this topic for some new reports. Also, for the upcoming press conference on 12th January.

I think 250$ is pretty decent price. Hopefully, it's not because the hardware of the system is weak. Wii U also had similar price range.

Edited by Dr. John
  • Like 2

A lot of people already predicted that price and I subscribed that prediction multiple times here, and multiple people had said it was nonsense and couldn't be that cheap. Well, nice to see I was almost surely correct correct, and I don't think that's because it will lack performance, but instead it won't feature all the features found in tablets people used to justify an high price (aka touch screen I don't think it would make sense, because when it's hooked you couldn't rely on those controls and Nintendo surely wouldn't promote having to take it off the dock just to play a certain part; or cameras the snaps of it suggest aren't a feature of it).

Well good then if they don't have unnecessary features like camera and crap. It keeps the price lower and only to what we need it as a gaming hardware.

• Like 1

250 is still about 50 more than I would like it to be to keep my interest as a day-one job. I'll probably give it time til there's a couple of titles I really want before I go ahead a make a purchase.

Yes, definitely wait until there are some interesting title in my eyes and stuff like this better be purchased late.

• Like 1

Mario Kart and Zelda tipped to be day-one releases. If that is so, this is a day-one buy for me.

Truly hoping they also sell extra stands to connect to the TV at a decent price so that I can have one on the family's vacation house and bring the Switch over there when we go away for the weekend.

This is exactly what I wanted.

• Like 1

2lzNHds.png

OK. The actual price is 300$, confirmed by Nintendo. Sorry about that.

Edited by Dr. John

Did I hear it right?

No region lock?????

Yeah, no more region locks.

Battery Life would last between 3-6 hours in general.

Share button to capture screenshot and video in the future.

R/L3 buttons.

Gyro sensor.

I'm ironically watching this from ps4.

Todd showed up. Skyrim confirmed.

New Shin Megaten and not Persona. Bout f*cking time.

Edited by luisniko

Shadowfennekin

Super Mario Odyssey

Well

At least we're finally getting another Mario game. It's been years since Galaxy 2.

Not sure I'm buying the Switch for awhile though, nothing of interest aside from that.

A bit disappointed they didn't talk about specs, but those will be online soon I'll bet. Likely to be older tech, hence why the omission.

However, extremely excited for Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, and Mario Odyssey. f*ck that game looked fun.

Going to be a day one buy for me anyway, cause that Zelda just looks too good.

And Fire Emblem. f*ck yes!

Edited by Tchuck

2lzNHds.png

Goddamn, they should have introduced more 3rd party titles. And no Pokemon? They introduced new Mario and revealed more on Zelda. Even a teaser would have hyped millions.

Anyways, I want more game titles information. The console looks like it can run Skyrim fine so maybe it's decently powerful

I love the hardware itself.

But I don't care about first party. All I care about now is the new Shin Megaten and I don't know how the future of Switch will come.

But I'll be using this as a handheld definitely and to replace my Vita.

Mario Kart + Splatoon

Seems like the best racing game is back in town.

Edited by Dr. John

Ehhhhhhh

Didn't really impressed me. Seems gimicky.

I do like skyrim on switch maybe getting it on Black Friday

But online pay come on. Paying for Xbox and ps4 already

That's turned me off

Edited by Quinn_flower

Ehhhhhhh

That's turned me off

Did they say about subscription to play online?

Ehhhhhhh

That's turned me off

Did they say about subscription to play online?

They said the service will start free, and go paid near the end of the year. No words on pricing or anything.

If the service is good, no harm in paying for it.

2lzNHds.png

Paying for online :lol: Good going Nintendo. Free online was the only reason why I was curious about the Switch as paying for online MP is a ridiculous idea for me. And while people may be willing to pay to get Halo, Killzone, COD, Destiny, GTAO, Overwatch etc. etc. and 3 or 4 games every month (often quite recent AAA titles), what is Switch's online gonna provide? A free NES/SNES game every month?

Seriously, that's the appeal? A free NES/SNES game every month :lol: They are serious about that. I couldn't think of a better joke.

Yea they pretty much killed it.

• Like 2

Paying for online :lol: Good going Nintendo. Free online was the only reason why I was curious about the Switch as paying for online MP is a ridiculous idea for me. And while people may be willing to pay to get Halo, Killzone, COD, Destiny, GTAO, Overwatch etc. etc. and 3 or 4 games every month (often quite recent AAA titles), what is Switch's online gonna provide? A free NES/SNES game every month?

Seriously, that's the appeal? A free NES/SNES game every month :lol: They are serious about that. I couldn't think of a better joke.

Yea they pretty much killed it.

Good, the console is not for you. Now you know. If free online was the only reason you were curious about the Switch, then you really have a pretty narrow mind when it comes to games, and Nintendo games aren't appealing to you so there was never any point in you being interested in it.

Nintendo's proposal is literally "You wanna play Nintendo games? You need Nintendo platform". If you don't like Nintendo games, it's not for you. If you like them, it may be for you.

2lzNHds.png

Hm yea, that's why the Wii U did so well. 'Nintendo fanboys exlusive club', well okay I guess, enjoy your closed community then.

For your info, I've never played a Nintendo game besides SMB 20 years ago on a borrowed GameBoy. I don't know anyone who has or ever had any home Nintendo console because it's simply not a popular brand here (a few people had the Wii only for the sports minigames and then gave it away or forgot about it). So if Nintendo wants to get me interested, another Mario isn't going to cut it. The logical way would be to lure newcomers for something else and then maybe get them interested in those 1st party games.

Tchuck: how is criticizing paid subscription having a narrow mind? I've never heard about people hacking Nintendo online games, that wasn't an issue for them and until now they always had free online service - it seems they're just doing it to follow up Sony and Microsoft. The service better be really good for it to worth it; I don't think the Switch library would be that rich for them to manage to distribute free games every month so I guess we'll see some free retro games worth 1 dollar as the gift...

Saying it's narrow mind and that consoles aren't for him just because he criticizes paid subscription and saying "if you like Nintendo games you buy a Nintendo console" is just fanboy-ing at the highest level. So it could be the biggest crap the gaming industry ever pulled off, you'd buy regardless?

• Like 2

I'll be using this as an outdoor handheld mostly where there's no internet access. But the online subscription just destroyed my like point instantly by 80%.

I hope the community can take stand, which I don't think will happen.

Zombified Andy:

I'm not saying criticizing paid subscription is having a narrow mind: I'm saying being interested in the Switch solely because it may have free online is narrow minded. It would be like me being interested in an Xbox One because it may come in a blue colour, then being completely disappointed and turned off when it doesn't, completely disregarding everything else about the system. That is what our pal over there is doing: He was never interested in the Switch, only in the "Oh it may have free online, it might be good". Which is a retarded reason to be interested in and completely dismiss a console for.

Also don't be ridiculous. If it was the biggest crap in the gaming industry, of course I wouldn't buy it. I may enjoy Nintendo games, but if they put out crap, I'm not obligated to buy it.

And you are completely misinterpreting what I said. What I very clearly said was that Nintendo's proposal is "You wanna play Nintendo games? You need Nintendo platform" and not "If you like Nintendo games you buy a Nintendo console". Read my post again.

RogerWho:

Then you don't like Nintendo games, you don't need a Nintendo console. Simple as that. I want third party games, I'll play them on my preferred platform (the PC). Nintendo is the only company with a different proposition, and who always puts out quality games. It's a pity you haven't touched anything Nintendo has made in 20 years, because they've done a LOT of great stuff over the time. Nintendo's main interest is in selling their games. Third parties come later. Again, Nintendo sells consoles to people who like Nintendo games. Lucky for them, that is a lot of people. Sure the Wii U didn't sell a lot, specially compared to the insane predecessor that was the Wii. The 3DS/DS, however, would show you that their business model does indeed work.

2lzNHds.png

What DS/3DS shows is that you can buy a Nintendo console and never touch a Nintendo game on it. Final Fantasy? Not Nintendo. Monster Hunter? Not Nintendo. Harvest Moon? Not Nintendo. A crapton of other games that are not Nintendo.

Believe it or not, not everyone buys a 3DS only for Pokemon. If I get a 3DS one day, Nintendo 1st party games are pretty low on my list of what I want to look into.

It's only the blind fanboys like you who call other people's opinions 'retarded' because they don't share your worldview on the oh so amazing special snowflake that is Nintendo who can't see that. Of course Nintendo themselves can't see it either otherwise they wouldn't be pulling this bullsh*t every time.

I didn't say I was 'never' interested in the Switch. Of course I found it interesting and I was hoping they'd come to their senses and provide some decent competition to the sleepwalking MS/Sony duo. A free online service would be a good start to gain at least some goodwill among people who are considering a next gen console. But it's now obvious they are just pulling the same crap again and their only card besides another Zelda and another Mario is Skyrim. Geez.

Oh, I just remembered: I lied when I said I've not played a N game since SMB. I tried Mario Run recently. It's garbage.

Edited by RogerWho

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.