2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Shaytan

Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

Corndawg93

Am I a bad person for completely cheesing the Darker Side level using the frog glitch

KilnerLUFC

Just googled that glitch - Was hoping it was more at the start of the level so I could skip all the boss battles. This may be one of the levels that I actually just totally skip altogether. Hands down, Odyssey is by far the best Mario game ever done, and I don't say that lightly. The moment that made me fall in love with the game was the 2D section on New Donk City, was like an ultimate throwback to all the previous Mario titles, absolute genius work by Nintendo. The icing on the cake is unlocking the Castle though at the end of the game.

Has easily overtaken Zelda as my top Switch game right now.

In other news, Atari can go suck a dick.

Edited by KilnerLUFC

Shaytan

Atari can go suck a dick[/url].

Is Atari going full e-begging or what? They haven't even showed of the Ataribox and are already asking more money for another product - why don't they release it for their own console? Says a lot already...

Corndawg93

So I defeted the Brootals on the Dark side level, I completed* the darker side, just need to find 144 more moons and I'm done

Edited by Corndawg93

KilnerLUFC

Atari can go suck a dick[/url].

Is Atari going full e-begging or what? They haven't even showed of the Ataribox and are already asking more money for another product - why don't they release it for their own console? Says a lot already...

A 'major' company begging people for money so they can re-sell a 20+ YO old game that this 'Atari' didn't even make themselves, so will be some sh*tty remake that plays just like the mobile versions. The whole thing is sketchy - why ask people to invest in it, if you're promising to give them all their money back, plus extras if all goes too well?

I was only interested in this because I don't RCT will play on my Win10 anymore, barring RCT3, and that just doesn't run well on this sh*tty laptop.

On a side note, our lass got us Doom for Valetines day (early present), and obviously besides all the graphical and performance downgrades, the game plays really surprisingly well. Every now and then you run to an area and it looks like when a game is trying to load textures in, but apart from that, I have no qualms with the game at all, fantastic.

If any of you guys fancy it, my Switch code is - SW-1649-8498-0291

Edited by KilnerLUFC

Shaytan

So, Bayonetta 1 and 2 are getting released for the Switch. While the first title was housed by Sony, Nintendo offered a new home to the second title in exchange of being an exclusive title for the Wii U. Both being greatly praised titles, it's great to see them being released to the Switch with better performance, plus I've already heard a few rumors of a third title in the way! I never managed to play either but I'd love to, when I finally buy the Switch these have an high place on my purchase list for sure.

Source: Kotaku

Edited by Shaytan

Tchuck

I've already heard a few rumors of a third title in the way

Oh it's no longer a rumor, it's actually happening. Tons of fanboys got pissed off at it being a Nintendo exclusive, which is hilarious since they are the first ones to complain that the Switch has no exclusives, and if it wasn't for Nintendo the series would have died long ago.

Switch is looking better and better. This will be yet another strong year. Kirby, Yoshi, and apparently a Pokemon game too!

KilnerLUFC

I've already heard a few rumors of a third title in the way

Oh it's no longer a rumor, it's actually happening. Tons of fanboys got pissed off at it being a Nintendo exclusive, which is hilarious since they are the first ones to complain that the Switch has no exclusives, and if it wasn't for Nintendo the series would have died long ago.

Switch is looking better and better. This will be yet another strong year. Kirby, Yoshi, and apparently a Pokemon game too!

Probably repeating myself here, but it's been a fair few years since I've found myself not having enough money to buy all the games I want for a current-gen system I own. Think the PS2 was the last time I suffered this, and that was only due to me been of school age at the time and relying on pocket money and my paper round to get the games. I currently own 12 physical games for my Switch, but the majority of them are thanks to the other half owning a catalogue account. Even with this, there are still around 7/8 games I'm after that are already out, including both RE: Revelations, both Bayonetta's, Worms W.M.D, Blossom Tales, Xenoblade, Stardew etc etc.

2018 is looking to be even more expensive for me, already on my list are - Wolfenstein 2, Kirby Star Allies, Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis, Hyrule Warriors, Dark Souls, Yoshi etc...and that's just the titles confirmed for 2018. Metroid Prime is on my list too.

I think the only downside I can have for the Switch right now is that the next Zelda title is like 5/6 years off, and there are to be no more updates to Breath of The Wild. I've actually yet to complete the 2nd DLC pack due to how much it just repeats the core game (shrines, bosses etc)...whereas in my mind I genuinely thought/hoped they were adding a proper dungeon to the game and much more. As much a great game it is, it's becoming harder and harder for me to actually want to play the game, rather than feeling the need to play it just to complete it.

It's fine though, Rime got an update/patch so I've started that, been crazily hunting down power moons in Odyssey, Slaying tons of demons in Doom and owning people in Rocket League in the meantime.

Dryspace
Posted (edited)

At Target a few days ago, I came across a Switch for the first time, which was running a demo of Breath of the Wild.

The first thing that surprised me was how diminutive the controllers were. For some reason, I had assumed they were substantially larger.

I then discovered that it felt both poorly designed and cheaply constructed. Most notably, the analog sticks were too small too either feel good or achieve acceptable accuracy, and the buttons, especially the 'plus' and 'minus', reminded me of those cheap handheld games of the '80s and '90s with the single-purpose LCD displays.

My first impression of Breath of the Wild was mostly disappointment. I'd gotten the idea that BotW was a high quality, engaging game, so I suppose I assumed I would experience something special, but I apparently overestimated the processing power of the Switch.

I don't know exactly how Nintendo Nintended the game to be played (sorry), but the demo unit was running on a ~42" display that I was standing a couple feet away from (it was in an aisle), and I could only marvel at the extremely low resolution of the textures and the fact that the output was sampled at less than 1080p but with no attempt at multisampling.

Clearly it is the stylized overall effect that is intended, but I can say that this game--or more accurately the Switch--does not benefit from high resolution, high field of view display situations. Had it been running on a much smaller display, it would have been the overall effect that I appreciated and not the glaring technical limitations.

As to gameplay, I quickly discovered that the button mapping is ridiculous. The button placement is a problem too, but--

Actually, on this subject there is only one thing that matters: that the inputs may be remapped by the player. I don't know whether BotW allows this, but I can think of no legitimate argument for not doing so.

But enough of the technical matters. After exiting the Vault--err, cavern--I was treated to a panning shot of a mysterious land, in which I gathered nothing has any identifiable shape until one approaches it.

While trying to decide which assortment of pastel blobs I was going to set out for, I caught sight of a stooped old man hurrying away. It was clear he wanted nothing to do with me. But was he simply antisocial? Or was he perhaps a lookout--a member of a secret order, sworn to keep watch over this cavern until the day I emerge as foretold in the prophecies? Was he making to raise an alarm?

Without another thought I scrambled down the hill after him. I could see now that he was only going back to his camp, situated so as to take advantage of a natural hollow in the rock. It seems that after all the old man was just worried about me stealing his stuff.

I walked over and greeted him, but was surprised to find that he was dumb. He communicated by writing on long strips of paper. He never allowed me to write--he only provided me with a selection of questions he was either willing or able to answer. The more I thought about it afterwards, the more I realized the advantages of such a system. One would never again waste time asking questions that a person couldn't or wouldn't answer. Oh sure, there are disadvantages, but--

I'm interested in playing more of Breath of the Wild, but only if can take advantage of a sale, and then actually play the game on a PC via an emulator, assuming that the emulation is near-perfect.

Edited by Dryspace

KilnerLUFC
Posted (edited)

To be honest, it took me a while to get used to the controller - after having played the 360 for so many years, it felt weird how small the analogs were and whatnot, but since then it just doesn't bother me anymore. Played many systems over the years, and it's by far definitely not one of the worst controller designs I've played with. Pretty sure one of the Gamecube controllers I own is high up on that list. And not exactly sure what you're getting at by mentioning the button placement? If you're on about the location of the buttons themself, then it's because it allows for each joycon to be used as a single controller, so technically you have 2 controllers in one. If you're on about the whole 'X swapped with Y' thing then, well, you do realise this is the actual way that it started off in Japan, and that Sony and Microsoft were the ones who swapped the buttons around in the West? Metal Gear Solid 1 for the PS1 is a fine example of this, since O is confirm, and X is the back-out button. Apart from that, my only gripe is that I keep getting the top 4 buttons mixed up - been the bigger one, you'd think the back L/R button is the main one, but it's not, it's the secondary of the 2. I am planning on getting a Pro controller at some point, but that's mainly because there's a Zelda themed one that I want, and at some point maybe the Mario one too.

As for the rest of your post, you just come across as a privileged, new-gen gamer that can only focus on having the highest end graphics playing at the highest possible output resolution. If that's the case then the Switch really isn't for you, nor any of the games played on an emulator, which again, that part of the post makes you sound rather snobby. The fact that you call it a cavern goes to prove how little you give a f*ck about the game.

Anyway, moving on, Nintendo Direct has officially made me realise I am too skint for this new system - On top of the games I listed in my wishlist above, the new Direct has now added:

- Okami - Never played the original, but always see it rank high on 'Games You Need To Play' lists

- Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy - One of the biggest surprises of the Direct for me by far, definitely can't wait for this!

- Little Nightmares - Again, not played this, but videos I've seen make this look like a decent little puzzle game

- South Park - 'cos it's South Park...

- Super Smash Bros - f*ck yeah, we knew it was coming, but for the release date to be this year, I'm hyped!

Edited by KilnerLUFC

Tchuck

South Park is coming for the Switch? Awesome!

Also I want Mario Tennis. Might pick up Captain Toad too. My June bonus can't come soon enough haha!

KilnerLUFC

South Park is coming for the Switch? Awesome!

Not only that, but it's coming out next month!

Nick1020

The Switch is probably the best handheld I ever had. Its cool theyre getting more 3rd party support. Im interested to see how the Switch does in 2018.

Dryspace

@KilnerLUFC "If you're on about the locations of the buttons..."

For the record, being "on about" something means talking about it a lot--not simply mentioning it once and moving on. I understand that if one feels emotionally connected to a particular device, a single mention may seem like a vitriol-filled rant.

For some reason, you jumped to several conclusions about me without evidence. You also displayed a certain type of bias typified by the mindset: "One can criticize Product X, but there is no legitimate reason not to love Product X. Ergo, anyone who doesn't love Product X is clearly a trouble-maker." This wasn't a profession of love or hate. It was a first impression.

By the button placement, I am referring to the fact that the four primary buttons and right stick are not comfortably accessible by my thumb, unlike my Wii U Pro controller, for example. It seems like proven ergonomics were sacrificed for the sake of diametrical symmetry. But as you can see by comparing our posts, you went on a lot longer about the placement than I did. I simply said it's "a problem".

By the button mapping, I am referring to the fact that 'jump' is mapped to the 'X' button at the top. I don't even recall the other mapping issues, but as I said, it shouldn't matter, as there is no legitimate reason to disallow re-mapping.

You may be surprised to learn that there is in fact nothing in my post that suggests I am a "privileged, new-gen gamer that can only focus on having the highest end graphics playing at the highest possible output resolution". That's called presumption or prejudice. I happen to think that the video game industry took a wrong turn down Stink Street about ten years ago. I am anything but new-gen. The last three games I played on my PC--F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, and F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate--were played at 1600 x 1200. But I don't understand: For what reason would a person not want to play a game at the highest possible output resolution? Do high resolutions cause cancer or something?

I am frankly taken aback that you found a way to misrepresent my very simple point: BotW may indeed look fine on a portable screen or a TV from across the room, but on a 40"+ screen from literally a couple feet away, it looks terrible. I didn't ask to play it that way; that's how the demo was set up.

Would you care to enlighten me as to why "any of the games played on an emulator" are not for me and I "sound rather snobby"? I just beat The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link back to back a few months ago, and finally figured out why I could never get into A Link to the Past (the combat mechanics). Clearly if there's a snob in the room it's not you!

I admit though that I don't follow the logic of why my use of the word 'cavern' proves that I don't care about Breath of the Wild. It is a cavern, right? I was making a stupid Fallout joke that I knew probably no one would get. I didn't look back at the entrance, because I ran after the old dude as soon as I regained control of my character, but it looked like a cave on the inside.

I'm looking forward to giving Breath of the Wild another try in the future. NOT in the aisle of a Target. NOT on a standard Switch controller. And NOT on an emulator, because emulation is not for me.

KilnerLUFC

@KilnerLUFC "If you're on about the locations of the buttons..."

For the record, being "on about" something means talking about it a lot--not simply mentioning it once and moving on. I understand that if one feels emotionally connected to a particular device, a single mention may seem like a vitriol-filled rant.

For some reason, you jumped to several conclusions about me without evidence. You also displayed a certain type of bias typified by the mindset: "One can criticize Product X, but there is no legitimate reason not to love Product X. Ergo, anyone who doesn't love Product X is clearly a trouble-maker." This wasn't a profession of love or hate. It was a first impression.

By the button placement, I am referring to the fact that the four primary buttons and right stick are not comfortably accessible by my thumb, unlike my Wii U Pro controller, for example. It seems like proven ergonomics were sacrificed for the sake of diametrical symmetry. But as you can see by comparing our posts, you went on a lot longer about the placement than I did. I simply said it's "a problem".

By the button mapping, I am referring to the fact that 'jump' is mapped to the 'X' button at the top. I don't even recall the other mapping issues, but as I said, it shouldn't matter, as there is no legitimate reason to disallow re-mapping.

You may be surprised to learn that there is in fact nothing in my post that suggests I am a "privileged, new-gen gamer that can only focus on having the highest end graphics playing at the highest possible output resolution". That's called presumption or prejudice. I happen to think that the video game industry took a wrong turn down Stink Street about ten years ago. I am anything but new-gen. The last three games I played on my PC--F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, and F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate--were played at 1600 x 1200. But I don't understand: For what reason would a person not want to play a game at the highest possible output resolution? Do high resolutions cause cancer or something?

I am frankly taken aback that you found a way to misrepresent my very simple point: BotW may indeed look fine on a portable screen or a TV from across the room, but on a 40"+ screen from literally a couple feet away, it looks terrible. I didn't ask to play it that way; that's how the demo was set up.

Would you care to enlighten me as to why "any of the games played on an emulator" are not for me and I "sound rather snobby"? I just beat The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link back to back a few months ago, and finally figured out why I could never get into A Link to the Past (the combat mechanics). Clearly if there's a snob in the room it's not you!

I admit though that I don't follow the logic of why my use of the word 'cavern' proves that I don't care about Breath of the Wild. It is a cavern, right? I was making a stupid Fallout joke that I knew probably no one would get. I didn't look back at the entrance, because I ran after the old dude as soon as I regained control of my character, but it looked like a cave on the inside.

I'm looking forward to giving Breath of the Wild another try in the future. NOT in the aisle of a Target. NOT on a standard Switch controller. And NOT on an emulator, because emulation is not for me.

No, 'on about something' can be used when asking if someone is referring to a certain thing, and doesn't only mean going on about it over and over. "Did you hear about [name]"..."Oh, you on about..."...

You're whole attempt at trying to intellectually break down every single part of my post is quite amusing to be honest, when in actual fact, my post was asking you questions and putting my own opinion across about what I thought your post was about. I'd build upon your new post, but I feel like you'll just get worked up again and jump down my throat, so yeah...

Enjoy the game if you do one day get it.

The Switch is probably the best handheld I ever had. Its cool theyre getting more 3rd party support. Im interested to see how the Switch does in 2018.

It's been good so far to see how many companies have got behind the Switch, and even if they have all been remasters and ports, it's still great that these games are been brought to a new audience. Yeah, there's a sh*t ton of indie games that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, but the fact that Nintendo is welcoming these with open arms is only a positive. 2018 should hopefully be an even better year, no matter how hard it will be to top Mario and Zelda.

Shaytan
Posted (edited)

I guess I have to agree this console could've done better in terms of build quality and controls. Regarding build quality, I think that's mostly because we've grown used to smartphones and tablets that increasingly became much more quality feeling and built out of quality materials - even the Nvidia Shield Tablet, which was a very affordable device and, up to some degree, Switch's natural predecessor, feels very solid, robust and nice quality (I've mentioned a couple times already but my sister owns one she bought back in the day by my recommendation and surely it doesn't disappoint). My original NDS is just painted plastic prone to wear out in its corners and GameBoys were ever cheaper-feeling consoles. My 2012 Kindle doesn't feel that premium either besides the aluminum(?) back. My point is, if a portable console made out of lower-grade plastic came out a few years ago nobody would mind all that much, but I guess our quality standards for such devices have increased mostly thanks to the smartphone and tablet market.

In short, it's not normal that a console can warp or get its screen scratched under normal use as it happened not that long after its release. Same about the controls that aren't just a matter of getting used to, even if Nintendo released a Pro controller, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. While it's clear the idea they're meant to be symmetrical to each other so they can be used as standalone controllers, I'm sure they could be a way to incorporate either a S pad or a thumbstick, as Nintendo pioneered all the way back to the Game&Watch series and in the N64 to allow better controls in 3D environments, respectively - for a reason literally all companies have sticked with bott concepts to this day and so, even if it requires affecting some of that symmetry, I think better controls would be preferred over multilayer with two Joy-Cons. Eventually Nintendo will most likely release an improved model and might fix such issues alongside the limited internal storage and battery. As Daft Punk would say, the Switch truly deserves to become...

In different 'news' (these have been around for over a while, my bad I forgot to post it here), a group of hackers managed to turn a Switch into a functioning Linux tablet - quite impressive, uh?

Screen_Shot_2018_02_19_at_5.17.27_PM.0.p

Source: https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/964954316892119040

Edit: fixed some of the phrases as I noticed they were misleading from the ideas I was trying to express as I re-read them.

Edited by Shaytan

JayKed20

What do you guys think the next game to be ported to the Switch will be? I'm guessing it will be Watch Dogs 2

Dryspace

@KilnerLUFC

Dear me, lol. You cast rude and prejudicial slights on my character without provocation, but by all means put me in my place for, uh...getting worked up and jumping down your throat. I certainly didn't mean to jump down your throat. Perhaps when you get a chance, you can teach me how to communicate in a calm and rational manner.

You're not completely without self-awareness: the restraint you showed in your last post indicates that. Here is something that I learned: By refusing to admit you messed up, you prove you're a fool. But by admitting that you messed up, you only prove that you're human.

Tchuck

I find it hilarious on the internet, people bitching that the Switch is getting ports and sucks for it. When these are the same people that were bitching that Switch never got any third party titles and had to focus on Nintendo titles. Damned if you, damned if you don't I suppose?

I agree, this is the best handheld I've ever owned. 2017 was so damn good in terms of games, and 2018 is looking to be great as well.

Just finished Mario + Rabbids, and boy was that good fun. Really streamlined the good old X-Com formula, and made it work so damn great. Loved it.

LiangHuBBB

120 hours in Xenoblade 2

and now I finally started to lvl up my mastery skills in order to beat further bosses

dem this game is long!

KilnerLUFC

I guess I have to agree this console could've done better in terms of build quality and controls. Regarding build quality, I think that's mostly because we've grown used to smartphones and tablets that increasingly became much more quality feeling and built out of quality materials - even the Nvidia Shield Tablet, which was a very affordable device and, up to some degree, Switch's natural predecessor, feels very solid, robust and nice quality (I've mentioned a couple times already but my sister owns one she bought back in the day by my recommendation and surely it doesn't disappoint). My original NDS is just painted plastic prone to wear out in its corners and GameBoys were ever cheaper-feeling consoles. My 2012 Kindle doesn't feel that premium either besides the aluminum(?) back. My point is, if a portable console made out of lower-grade plastic came out a few years ago nobody would mind all that much, but I guess our quality standards for such devices have increased mostly thanks to the smartphone and tablet market.

In short, it's not normal that a console can warp or get its screen scratched under normal use as it happened not that long after its release. Same about the controls that aren't just a matter of getting used to, even if Nintendo released a Pro controller, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. While it's clear the idea they're meant to be symmetrical to each other so they can be used as standalone controllers, I'm sure they could be a way to incorporate either a S pad or a thumbstick, as Nintendo pioneered all the way back to the Game&Watch series and in the N64 to allow better controls in 3D environments, respectively - for a reason literally all companies have sticked with bott concepts to this day and so, even if it requires affecting some of that symmetry, I think better controls would be preferred over multilayer with two Joy-Cons. Eventually Nintendo will most likely release an improved model and might fix such issues alongside the limited internal storage and battery. As Daft Punk would say, the Switch truly deserves to become...

From a design perspective, I agree, the Switch just feels so cheap both in material wise and aesthetics. The dock is just a bland, black 'box', and the design of it has seen many people complain about the damage it has caused their Switch, from scratches to the screen and warping of the tablet, to the simple fact that design leads to a lack of airflow for the system. I think my biggest personal gripe with the whole design is the little stand that can be extracted from the tablet - I've given up trying to stand the screen up due to the amount of times it's just fallen down, mainly due to the location of the stand and the cheap design overall.

I'd like to think all of this was to try and keep the price of the Switch down, meaning it was accessible to many gamers. Priced above last-gen consoles, but also below current-gen consoles.

I'll probably end up buying some Pro controllers and some 3rd party dock to beef my Switch's design up - also maybe skin the controllers/tablets at some point, but currently holding off on that as stickers can damage it.

What do you guys think the next game to be ported to the Switch will be? I'm guessing it will be Watch Dogs 2

Watch Dogs 2 would be amazing to see get a port, but the last time I heard, Ubisoft were holding out on bringing that game to the Switch for some reasons; Mainly mentioning the fact they were preferable to bring games over that fitted the DNA of the Switch, games that could easily just picked up at any point, have a quick game and then put down again. Believe that's why the chose titles like Just Dance and Steep.

Sticking with Ubi, I'd personally love to see some of the older AC titles come to the system, especially ACII. Played through the game so many times on my 360, but would happily play through it again from fresh. It's not like the earlier AC titles were highly graphical or anything - I guess we'd just see some lag through combat and some of the draw distance compromised, but that wouldn't really bother me.

The one title that I was really hoping for to be ported over was Darksiders 2. One of the best 360 games that I played through. Just a shame that THQ have come out to say that they are struggling to port titles over due to the lack of hardware. Come on though, the Switch has stronger games than Darksiders 2, so why the hell not?

Another major port that I strongly believe will happen is we'll see Fortnite coming to the Switch at some point at the end of the year. I mean, why couldn't it be ported to the Switch when it's already announced it's coming to Smartphones, thus meaning portability and power can't possibly be an issue. It's also been rumoured very heavily, and pretty sure Donald Mustard has clearly come out and said he is very interested in bringing it to the Switch. The cartoon style also suits Nintendo.

I find it hilarious on the internet, people bitching that the Switch is getting ports and sucks for it. When these are the same people that were bitching that Switch never got any third party titles and had to focus on Nintendo titles. Damned if you, damned if you don't I suppose?

I agree, this is the best handheld I've ever owned. 2017 was so damn good in terms of games, and 2018 is looking to be great as well.

Just finished Mario + Rabbids, and boy was that good fun. Really streamlined the good old X-Com formula, and made it work so damn great. Loved it.

The console has been out for a year and some of the best titles from last year were Nintendo IP's, with Zelda even winning GOTY and Mario scooping many awards too. After the previous run Nintendo has had, it's great to see them having such a great run again, and part of this is down to the 3rd arty support that Nintendo are receiving again. I haven't got any gripes with seeing ports come to the Switch at all. A number of the games I have for my Switch are titles I already own for previous consoles, but getting them again has made them feel fresh, and playing them on the go is an absolute bonus. When many companies are worried about the power of the Switch, it's easier to bring over a port to test it out, rather than working on a fresh game from scratch, just to be hit by problems along the way.

2018 is going to be a great year for the Switch, original titles or ports.

120 hours in Xenoblade 2

and now I finally started to lvl up my mastery skills in order to beat further bosses

dem this game is long!

Still need to get this title so badly.

--------

So with Nintendo announcing that September will see the official launch of the paid online service, is this also going to finally bring the Virtual Console to the system? It was said that the online service would give us 2 free games a month on rotation, which was then changed to us getting these titles to keep, so if these titles are coming from the likes of the NES and the SNES, why would there be any reason to hold back on bringing the Virtual Console as well? It's quite possibly the biggest pot of cash Nintendo are sitting on, so I just don't get the reasoning behind the lack of news concerning the VC, and even the rumour of them not bringing it at all.

With Nintendo closing down the shop on the Wii and WiiU, is this also maybe pointing to the VC coming to Switch at the end of the year?

Ivan1997GTA

So with Nintendo announcing that September will see the official launch of the paid online service, is this also going to finally bring the Virtual Console to the system? It was said that the online service would give us 2 free games a month on rotation, which was then changed to us getting these titles to keep, so if these titles are coming from the likes of the NES and the SNES, why would there be any reason to hold back on bringing the Virtual Console as well? It's quite possibly the biggest pot of cash Nintendo are sitting on, so I just don't get the reasoning behind the lack of news concerning the VC, and even the rumour of them not bringing it at all.

With Nintendo closing down the shop on the Wii and WiiU, is this also maybe pointing to the VC coming to Switch at the end of the year?

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see.

A few days ago, there was a teaser for a Super Smash Bros. game on the Switch. Whether it's gonna be a new game or just a port of the Wii U game, again, we'll have to wait and see. I remember that Nintendo released an adapter for the Wii U that allowed players to use the GameCube controller for Super Smash Bros. 4, like you could use the GameCube controller in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and some other Wii games. Since I don't think that any game on the Switch allowed people to play with anything but the Joycons or the Pro controller, Nintendo should probably release a GameCube-styled controller for the Switch, titled the "Wavebird", obviously named after the wireless GameCube controller of the same name, for nostalgia sake.

KilnerLUFC

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see.

A few days ago, there was a teaser for a Super Smash Bros. game on the Switch. Whether it's gonna be a new game or just a port of the Wii U game, again, we'll have to wait and see. I remember that Nintendo released an adapter for the Wii U that allowed players to use the GameCube controller for Super Smash Bros. 4, like you could use the GameCube controller in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and some other Wii games. Since I don't think that any game on the Switch allowed people to play with anything but the Joycons or the Pro controller, Nintendo should probably release a GameCube-styled controller for the Switch, titled the "Wavebird", obviously named after the wireless GameCube controller of the same name, for nostalgia sake.

I never got chance to play the Wii U version, but part of me says maybe the new one will be a bit of both, like so Definitive Version or something, so bringing the majority of the old game, whilst adding a sh*t ton more new content to the table. The reveal already showed off the BoTW Link, so it's obvious it already has new content. Either way I'm hyped for the new Smash, haven't had chance to play it since the Gamecube days, and even now the game goes for high prices.

KilnerLUFC

Double post, sorry.

Does anyone else have a feeling that the Virtual Console won't actually come to the Switch any time soon, or even at all? Just seems that Nintendo is really pushing the Indie titles on the EShop, or 'Nindies', which is more the obvious during their Directs, where they have a whole slot just for the Nindies section of games. I mean, just a quick example, but would people be willing to fork out for the obvious Zelda clone, Blossom Tales, if Zelda:ALTTP was available to purchase too? That's the only real game that springs to mind right now as a blatant example, but when there are so many developers trying to push out games that are clones of older titles, and Nintendo obviously trying to give them an easy platform to release them on, would the Virtual Console kill this off?

The only problem right now is that the eShop needs a serious overhaul. Unless the game is currently one of the most downloaded titles, or up for discount, it just gets lost forever amongst the other hundreds of titles...unless obviously you know the name of what you're searching for. It needs categories added to it and whatnot.

Said it many times, but I seriously want the VC to come to the Switch. Nothing would beat playing old NES/SNES/N64/GC games on the go!

Guess time will tell, but seems weird how Nintendo have become so quiet over the VC, and what exactly will be included when the Online service has to be paid for.

Tchuck

I'm fairly confident it is coming out, as Nintendo knows there's unlimited cash to be made there.

I think they are taking their time to ensure the integration with their online service is smooth.

scalliano

I'm not so sure, TBH. Given that Sega announced that they are bringing Sega AGES to the Switch (at least in Japan) and the glut of NeoGeo games already on the eShop, I'm beginning to think that VC isn't coming around this time. I still think we'll see classic games on the eShop, just not necessarily in the form we're used to.