2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
Wiseguy94

My Most Hated Characters (and what you think of them)

Osho

I really hate when the characters seem like they're trying extra hard to be something through the writing for said characters behaviour, personality, backstory, etc. and forcing you to relate with the kind of choices and decisions the character makes that you know the character shouldn't do but have to waste your time in doing sh*t and stick with the silly narrative.

Niko Bellic is a fine example of such hate-inducing character.

In V, the leading men were pretty much uninteresting for me right from the beginning to even take them seriously. They didn't make me cringe for the most part but neither interesting enough to appear memorable. I'd call them decent, and easy to engage with a story that's entertaining but a no brainer, short and straightforward at that.

SonOfLiberty

Anyone who isn't Michael, Lester and Franklin is an obnoxious ass. That pretty much sums it up for me.

This doesn't include GTA IV/EFLC characters that were ruined with their respective cameos.

Piggsy pls

I find that I don't really have an opinion on any GTA V character. They're all "whatever" to me.

rampage08

I feel like OP's question went over almost everyone's head and the posts made this thread to be another "hate" thread.

It's not about how good or not the characters are written.

Edited by rampage08

DangerZ0neX

I don't truly hate anyone, but I do have a problem with Franklin and Trevor as protagonists unlike Michael, and I legitimate believe that GTA V would've been a much better game when it comes to focus and story if it centered around him only.

Franklin is okay for the most part, I like his suits and most of his SubUrban clothing alongside his house and car, but I just despise his music selection and how utterly boring he is. Nothing about him is ever explored and he's just there as a blank character with no real or strong opinion, all he does is react to everything with a whatever and never saying no to people he's annoyed with, his relationship with Tanisha is forgettable, you forget she exists until she comes up in person in Lamar Down and forget about her afterwards, what's the point of adding that?

I honestly wished that R* made him less neutral and made him have a bit more pride in himself, it just sucks knowing that he had potential and it just failed to grow.

Now, when it comes to Trevor, his psychopathic tendencies are always treated like jokes, the game never treats him seriously outside of the North Yankton mission, he acts like a random retarded crossdressing clown just to amuse kids and casuals who are only interested in comedy. I wanted him to be more terrifying and threatening, not have some forced mommy issues where he acts like a f*cking baby, give him some serious f*cked up reasons for his crimes and not some fetish or first-world problems that make him commit such crimes.

Michael is almost perfect, the game's limitations kinda cut his growth when it comes to his movie producer side short, so he could've gotten more light on it, and if his family had actual reasons to leave him and be scared of him instead of getting whiny about things any rational married man would do because he doesn't want them to devolve into pure degenerates.

I'm thinking of what Skyler White feared in Walter White from Breaking Bad, all of those crimes that Michael committed for the sake of his family and financing them does help them, but it also brings more threat and danger towards the household because of the regular GTA sh*t that Michael does and make him lose his mind to his anger issues. If they abandoned him for that reason, it would've been better, and if the game centered around Michael only it could've been that way.

FranklinsIron

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but I've been playing GTA since GTA 3 came out back in 2001 and I was just seven years old. I have played every GTA except for Vice City Stories and I have to say that the characters in V were....hit or miss. Some characters like Trevor and Lamar were hilarious, some were easily to relate to like Michael and Trevor, and the rest....were annoying little dirtbags.

In terms of most hated, I can't stand any of Michael's family, his scumbag therapist, or Franklin's aunt Denise. I want to punch them all in the face. People talk about how much they hate Weston and Haines...well you know what? I'd rather spend a day driving around with them than any of the people mentioned above. Just played the Yoga mission again and I want to punch Jimmy in the face. Did these characters get to you as much as me?

The way in which I'm playing Michael is that he's as honest a crook as can be. He doesn't cheat on his wife, he helps his family, etc. When you play this way, you realize just how worthless his family really is. I'd enjoy their absence if I didn't get that annoying cutscene where Michael wakes up from a nightmare every time I switch to him.

TL;DR version: I can't stand Michael's family, Dr. Friedlander, or Denise. Is anyone else with me?

honest as a crook can be and doesn't cheat on his wife?

Amanda caught him get hobbled by a stripper and he planned his best friends death, to save himself and uses the reason as his family, to make him believe that in his f*cked up head, it's justifiable?

He's a selfish, sociopathic c*nt, who lives in his own world and own mind and realistically is only concerned about his own happiness, being when his family leaves he just feels alone, he doesn't nessarily miss them for them, he misses HIS house company. He only stops cheating on Amanda once she does, because he doesn't like the feeling and again it's because of his pride. He is never EVER happy and always wants more and any flaws he has, there's someone/something in the past to blame for said actions. He only rekindles his friendship with Trevor, because his disgruntled best friend shows up years after realising he's been lied too, snaked and maybe stabbed in the back. But deep down, there is a genuine person inside him, that is the foundation of his contractile actions, that are made by the superior feeling he has (if someone else does it, they're wrong, if I do it, there's a justifiable reason and you need to realise that, because I'm the main actor in this story) that goes on in his head. He does feel compassion for people similar to him and shows love when they are in his company, only to forget the love he has for them when they are gone, because he's so in trenched in his own mind and perspectives. He needs negativity to live, hence he misses his family (back to first example), but if you was to ask why, it wouldn't be love, happiness, it would be because he just doesn't like to be alone.

And that's why I f*cking love him.

KingAJ032304
Posted (edited)

GTA 5 characters are just annoying... that's it.

Even the antagonist weren't really hatable... just annoying

Edited by KingAJ032304

perennial
9 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

GTA 5 characters are just annoying... that's it.

I agree. No one was a hateable serious threat unlike in most earlier games (except maybe Martin Madrazzo for a short while, what a waste). The GTA V characters just got on my nerves.

Davao

The antagonists, are awful in GTA 5 no real meaning to them, unlike the others.  They were only antagonists for a short time, Devin Weston was only really one, when he tried to shoot Michael's Family.   Stretch, only appeared in a few missions. Wei Cheng, wasn't in the story much.   Steve Haines, only really appeared in the middle half of the story.  They were poorly written IMO.   The only one who I'd say was a real antagonist was Martin Madrazzo for a few missions, but that's the best in the story tbh. It's all messed up.

El Penguin Bobo

To be honest, I'm actually quite neutral with most of the characters. Some which I like. (ex. the three protagonists yes that includes Trevor, Lester, and Lamar) Some which I hate. (ex. Micheal's whole nuclear family, Denise, etc)

I personally think R* made most of these characters unlikeable so we can catch a glimpse of our modern society.

KingAJ032304
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, perennial said:

I agree. No one was a hateable serious threat unlike in most earlier games (except maybe Martin Madrazzo for a short while, what a waste). The GTA V characters just got on my nerves.

meant to say "weren't" not "were" I couldn't even dislike Martin because I mean it was our fault his house was destroyed otherwise we would have been left alone but my gosh he makes Jimmy Pegorino look like a badass mob boss and Online still trying to make him seem terrifying. He really was jsut a waste (just like 80% of GTA 5 new characters)

11 hours ago, Davao said:

The antagonists, are awful in GTA 5 no real meaning to them, unlike the others.  They were only antagonists for a short time, Devin Weston was only really one, when he tried to shoot Michael's Family.   Stretch, only appeared in a few missions. Wei Cheng, wasn't in the story much.   Steve Haines, only really appeared in the middle half of the story.  They were poorly written IMO.   The only one who I'd say was a real antagonist was Martin Madrazzo for a few missions, but that's the best in the story tbh. It's all messed up.

I actually liked the idea they had going for Wei Cheng, I just think they executed it bad.

Edited by KingAJ032304

Davao
58 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

meant to say "weren't" not "were" I couldn't even dislike Martin because I mean it was our fault his house was destroyed otherwise we would have been left alone but my gosh he makes Jimmy look like a profession badass mob boss and Online still trying to make him seem terrifying. He really was jsut a waste (just like 80% of GTA 5 new characters)

I actually liked the idea they had going for Wei Cheng, I just think they executed it bad.

I could understand why they went for Wei Cheng. He was on the phone to Trevor during one of the missions, then you never hear from him again until not far from the end of the story, and there's no build up to it imo.  More missions were needed for the chinese, like the chinese could have gone to that shootout with Merryweather, FIB, ect at the Kortz centre as an example. No build up for him, apart from the michael kidnapping.

KingAJ032304
1 hour ago, Davao said:

I could understand why they went for Wei Cheng. He was on the phone to Trevor during one of the missions, then you never hear from him again until not far from the end of the story, and there's no build up to it imo.  More missions were needed for the chinese, like the chinese could have gone to that shootout with Merryweather, FIB, ect at the Kortz centre as an example. No build up for him, apart from the michael kidnapping.

Didn't he set up Michael and Trever at north yankton and kidnap Michael and almost got him grinded up?

TNT Goes Boom!
9 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

meant to say "weren't" not "were" I couldn't even dislike Martin because I mean it was our fault his house was destroyed otherwise we would have been left alone but my gosh he makes Jimmy look like a profession badass mob boss and Online still trying to make him seem terrifying. He really was jsut a waste (just like 80% of GTA 5 new characters)

He was worse in Online. Even back when I was a low level player, I didn't find him terrifying. He kept making so many meaningless death threats that I just laughed them off and didn't care about him anymore after I stopped grinding contact missions. Especially when the game never has him do any violence to your character (like how he beat Michael with a baseball bat). Both of my characters nowadays have so many guns and vehicles with guns (plus an orbital cannon) that they could wage war against him and his cartel and win. He is a massive joke. Plus, the fact that he is the one sending you invites to dead game modes makes him more of a loser.

KingAJ032304
1 hour ago, TNT Goes Boom! said:

He was worse in Online. Even back when I was a low level player, I didn't find him terrifying. He kept making so many meaningless death threats that I just laughed them off and didn't care about him anymore after I stopped grinding contact missions. Especially when the game never has him do any violence to your character (like how he beat Michael with a baseball bat). Both of my characters nowadays have so many guns and vehicles with guns (plus an orbital cannon) that they could wage war against him and his cartel and win. He is a massive joke. Plus, the fact that he is the one sending you invites to dead game modes makes him more of a loser.

I laughed at this WAY more than I should have HAHAHAHAHAHA

Utopianthumbs
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Agreed, the idea of a triad boss as an antagonist is cool and he seemed threatening enough in his limited appearances,( for that matter I actually thought he was more intimidating an antagonist than Jimmy Pegorino, like you said he nearly turned Michael into mincemeat which is more threatening than Jimmy P ever felt ). The problem is they just didn't do anything with him beyond that, iirc he kept threatening Trevor but never attacked him directly and his appearances were too limited to make an impact.

Edited by Utopianthumbs

perennial

There was unrealized potential with Wei Cheng. I still got a bad first impression of him thanks to the "we have your lover" speech to Trevor after Bury The Hatchet. It IMO established him as a kind of a joke especially after a serious (on GTA V standards, anyway) mission.

Utopianthumbs
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, perennial said:

There was unrealized potential with Wei Cheng

You can substitute Wei Cheng with GTA V as a whole and the sentence will still be true lol. I like V don't get me wrong but there's no denying it fell very short of realising it's potential as the "most ambitious GTA" that R* was calling it before release, and the same goes for its characters like Cheng, Madrazo etc

Edited by Utopianthumbs