1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Official General

The real story with Grove Street Families and dealing drugs.

Official General

I'm nearing the end of the story campaign of what is only my second playthrough of SA in 12 years. This time I've followed the story and dialogue much more closely the the first time to get a deeper understanding of everything that went down. What I want to establish is the fact that CJ's Grove Street Families gang are not entirely against drugs. Judging from events in the story, it is clear he Families are involved the drug trade on some level - Ryder's cooks up PCP, Big Smoke buys weed to resell etc. It appears to me that the Families are into selling weed and PCP, but they are against the selling of crack cocaine. Or was it they are fine with selling crack, but just not in their hoods ? Either way, surely the Families must be into selling some kind of drugs at least. CJ makes money from his gang territories, so surely that must translate into profits from drug sales within these territories ?

It's my opinion that the Families sell drugs and make money from it, just not selling crack in their hoods. As far as I'm concerned, the money made from CJ's turf is drug money proceeds.

Your thoughts ?

Edited by Official General

Jeansowaty

I doubt they would deal crack. Just nah. Imho it's mostly PCP/Weed as you said, perhaps some psychodelic stuff like Acid too. About the turf income... I guess that they are taking income from various sources. Perhaps protection rackets and what not. Maybe they even deal with weapons in these turfs.

lil weasel

Ryder is a leisure user, I see no "Selling" in his game play.

As far as Big Smoke, and his industrial production of whatever it is, again he is not representing the Grove Street Families, both in his removal from the neighbourhood and his secret dealings with his partner Tenpenny.

As far as the Families (Sweet) it appears more of a Shakedown business. Sweet does not do much of anything to keep the Gang Together. And the Influx of monies to the Street ($) also is more of a Muscle business than a provider of tangible product. (Protection Insurance racket).

The Pro's do not provide an income. So they are not in that business either.

GTA-Biker

I think they are not against weed (random GSF NPCs can be seen smoking joints and mention weed in their dialogue),but they seem to be against hard drugs,and Ryder seems to be the only known member doing sherm.

As for the money they make by expanding turf,maybe they do sell some weed,but I guess it's mostly from other sources,maybe protection racket, prostitution, illegal gambling...

Official General

I think they are not against weed (random GSF NPCs can be seen smoking joints and mention weed in their dialogue),but they seem to be against hard drugs,and Ryder seems to be the only known member doing sherm.

As for the money they make by expanding turf,maybe they do sell some weed,but I guess it's mostly from other sources,maybe protection racket, prostitution, illegal gambling...

But that's the stupid thing - the backbone of Black street gang activity is drug-dealing, the rest is robbery, prostitution, and selling guns. Black street gangs in America are generally not involved in stuff like protection or extortion rackets that's more of a Mafia thing. As for illegal gambling, that's not really the mainstay of Black street gangs either, they don't seriously focus on that stuff as a racket.

I reckon the Families are into selling weed and PCP, but they should have made them sell crack. In my game I always take the turf money as drug money.

lil weasel

Also consider that the title of the game is *Grand Theft Auto* yet there is no chop shops, or way of making money off the GTA aspect.

So the game is already perverted.

There is only one grower, and Carl admits to smoking, we also see him drinking.

The crime aspect of the game is neither here nor there.

The Game is a GAME, something to do with the controller (or keyboard & mouse) in a suitably decent story to tie it all together. (inane and as impossible as it seems)

Grove Street gang does not sell drugs, does not have prostitution, does not sell guns, does not steal cars for profit, does not smuggle, so the only thing left is shake downs.

Yes, it was already stated in the story that the money taken in the turf wars is drug money. But the money received after taking the turf would not. It would have to be from shaking down the neighbourhood, since Carl puts a stop to dealing.

Official General

Also consider that the title of the game is *Grand Theft Auto* yet there is no chop shops, or way of making money off the GTA aspect.So the game is already perverted.There is only one grower, and Carl admits to smoking, we also see him drinking.The crime aspect of the game is neither here nor there.The Game is a GAME, something to do with the controller (or keyboard & mouse) in a suitably decent story to tie it all together. (inane and as impossible as it seems)Grove Street gang does not sell drugs, does not have prostitution, does not sell guns, does not steal cars for profit, does not smuggle, so the only thing left is shake downs.Yes, it was already stated in the story that the money taken in the turf wars is drug money. But the money received after taking the turf would not. It would have to be from shaking down the neighbourhood, since Carl puts a stop to dealing.

Look at GTA wiki, they do sell drugs, they sell weed and PCP, they just don't sell crack. I listened carefully to the dialogue - it was crack they had an issue with, because crack brings destruction to ghettos as its a cheap but highly addictive drug. Besides, Big Smoke was buying weed wholesale and Ryder was cooking up PCP to use and sell. All I'm saying is that they should have been into the crack game, not against it.

CJ owns a semi-legitimate auto/car trading business in SF. CJ can do pimping missions. But yet the Families can't do crack ? That was my argument. In my game I just see the territory income coming from crack sales.

The shakedown argument makes no sense. Just don't fit in with the theme at all.

B Dawg

Also consider that the title of the game is *Grand Theft Auto* yet there is no chop shops, or way of making money off the GTA aspect.

The garage in San Fierro can be considered a Chop Shop.

Also, no way of making money off the GTA aspect? Import/Export is exactly that. Steal cars, put them on a boat, get profit.

Osho

Originally, the developers did plan of making the player buy and sell drugs. I guess they changed the story a bit to make it look like the GSF are against selling crack to avoid any controversy. Now, I don't have any idea about the gangsters nor LA at that time but it'd have been cool to buy and sell drugs. I mean, I really don't see why would GSF have any objection against it. The in game justification doesn't really matter since once Ballas take control of their territory, they can't stop them from spreading the crack cocaine across the Ganton and GS anyways.

Clearly, the refusal on part of Sweet seems forced into the story. For the most part the game remains true to that time of rampant drug addiction and selling crack cocaine. It'd have been awesome to see CJ and the homies involved heavily in drugs trade, too, because the time and place the game is set really deserved a different story with this missing aspect it needed to make it excellent and more engaging. They should have scrapped LV entirely, too. Mafia stuff gets boring after a while.

GTA-Biker

But that's the stupid thing - the backbone of Black street gang activity is drug-dealing, the rest is robbery, prostitution, and selling guns. Black street gangs in America are generally not involved in stuff like protection or extortion rackets that's more of a Mafia thing. As for illegal gambling, that's not really the mainstay of Black street gangs either, they don't seriously focus on that stuff as a racket.

I reckon the Families are into selling weed and PCP, but they should have made them sell crack. In my game I always take the turf money as drug money.

I guess they just wanted to make Families (and Aztecas) morally superior to Ballas and Vagos.Crack ruins the hood,good guys don't want it in their hoods,bad guys don't care,they just want profit.

Official General

Originally, the developers did plan of making the player buy and sell drugs. I guess they changed the story a bit to make it look like the GSF are against selling crack to avoid any controversy. Now, I don't have any idea about the gangsters nor LA at that time but it'd have been cool to buy and sell drugs. I mean, I really don't see why would GSF have any objection against it. The in game justification doesn't really matter since once Ballas take control of their territory, they can't stop them from spreading the crack cocaine across the Ganton and GS anyways.

Clearly, the refusal on part of Sweet seems forced into the story. For the most part the game remains true to that time of rampant drug addiction and selling crack cocaine. It'd have been awesome to see CJ and the homies involved heavily in drugs trade, too, because the time and place the game is set really deserved a different story with this missing aspect it needed to make it excellent and more engaging. They should have scrapped LV entirely, too. Mafia stuff gets boring after a while.

* The long-standing gang rivalry between the Crips and Bloods was almost entirely rooted in battle for control of the crack trade in their territories, and also the trade other drugs too. It always has been and still is to this day.

* I agree, Sweet's resistance to the gang's entrance to the drug trade feels very forced indeed. To someone like myself who knows a lot about African American gangs, it just looked and felt so out of place and silly.

* Yes, for most part the theme crack cocaine and gang violence in the ghetto was well explored and touched on thankfully. At least with money making territories you can easily decide for yourself that its over crack sales and ignore the story in roleplay mode.

* I agree the Mafia gets stale after a while, its been done too much in GTA. However I was happy for Las Venturas to be in the game. I just wished that the gang stuff extended to LV too.

@ Leopard

You're 100 percent right, that's what it was. But it was still very stupid, they should have just allowed for crack sales on both sides but made the Ballas a lot meaner and more evil.

SmokesWithCigs

Also consider that the title of the game is *Grand Theft Auto* yet there is no chop shops, or way of making money off the GTA aspect.So the game is already perverted.There is only one grower, and Carl admits to smoking, we also see him drinking.The crime aspect of the game is neither here nor there.The Game is a GAME, something to do with the controller (or keyboard & mouse) in a suitably decent story to tie it all together. (inane and as impossible as it seems)Grove Street gang does not sell drugs, does not have prostitution, does not sell guns, does not steal cars for profit, does not smuggle, so the only thing left is shake downs.Yes, it was already stated in the story that the money taken in the turf wars is drug money. But the money received after taking the turf would not. It would have to be from shaking down the neighbourhood, since Carl puts a stop to dealing.

Look at GTA wiki, they do sell drugs, they sell weed and PCP, they just don't sell crack. I listened carefully to the dialogue - it was crack they had an issue with, because crack brings destruction to ghettos as its a cheap but highly addictive drug. Besides, Big Smoke was buying weed wholesale and Ryder was cooking up PCP to use and sell. All I'm saying is that they should have been into the crack game, not against it.

CJ owns an auto business in SF. CJ can do pimping missions. But yet the Families can't do crack ? That was my argument. In my game I just see the territory income coming from crack sales.

The shakedown argument makes no sense. Just don't fit in with the theme at all.

they were mainly against crack because the soldiers started getting high. big bear for example. to semi quota carl "its making base slaves out of everybody"

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Threads, like this make me wonder if R* could make a bundle by including the missing elements from the street lifestyle of sex, drugs and prison life from the Beta Version and expanding it and the clothing and tattoos and extras in an Adult version of the game. I mean, this long after 9/11 the extra missions could be included and nobody would blink about it. I'm just looking at this possibility because there is a demand for it, as seen elsewhere online, and they remastered and resystemed the previous game. It could even be a downloadable content card bought from sites or stores IRL, commercially speaking.

The people complaining and stirring the pot of sh*t are doing so for publicity for the sake of grabbing a public angle for the sake of profiting off of companies like R* anyway, even a brief analysis demonstrates this with their use logical fallacies and all and money made on the backs of the companies and ripping off the public in a Hegelian Dialectic fashion with an Appeal to Emotion Banner. Pointedly, this game and the others in the line point that out in various ways repeatedly, if you are familiar with satire.

Nuff Said "."

The Adult Gaming Genre are taking off and R* set the bar in the first place in many ways.

So, logically speaking.........

Vanzant

RockStar lost so much profit from the Hot Coffee fiasco there's no possibility anyone would consider putting it back in even without the fully nude models present on the original disc.

On the topic, the grove street profit is generated by number of territories taken. There's no such mention of where they money actually comes from.

SMACKED!

The few OG's from the gang are into PCP drug dealing, besides, you can also see few Families peds buying drugs from the crack dealers around. The peds are OGs from the gang, you can hear them few times when quoting, besides of several cutscenes.

There is a lot of disloyalty coming from the OGs.

You can check this into the San Andreas official page for more info.

It wasn't as easy to clear the drugs in a neighborhood back in 1992, remember that the game takes places during the crack epidemy, that may explain a lot.

Edited by Still Madd

Veigar

They probably just do weed deals; ryder and big smoke aren't relevant at the end of the story (after the last mission)

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

@Vanzant. Oh, for an MA game that is clear. The gaming world hasn't stopped developing yet, though. Give it a decade and numerous adult games and that will change.

Hell, if you really want that game then you could always check out the retittled online equivalent. GFA

Times changea and go way further down the rabbit hole and there is no end of that tendency in site.

Besides, I wasn't' speaking of only that one aspect that was kicked but ALL of the aspects that were kicked for an Adult Market.

It most likely will never happen according to what people believe today, fine. I'm not talking about the current paradigm staying as it is now. Things continue to change and the ice-breaker was this game.

edit

The effects of Supply & Demand are not just a GTA Series mission, it is a force within the Nature of Mankind. This isn't my opinion, it is a directly observable phenomena throughout the world. It could take several decades in the worst plausible example yet it is pretty much guaranteed that someone will do it whether R* is involved with it or not.

edit add 2

It is a renegade inevitability and with today's adult market it is more likely sooner than later for the upgrade with all that and more, I'm not saying that it is proper or even legal.

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Vanzant

I wouldn't rely on any major changes to San Andreas though. The changes are happening with GTAV and beyond, but San Andreas will be the same game as it has since 2004.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

I wouldn't rely on any major changes to San Andreas though. The changes are happening with GTAV and beyond, but San Andreas will be the same game as it has since 2004.

Probrably not from R* yet retro-reformat and rewrites of games haven't ever stopped in the video game industry and someonr will eventually get the hankering for it and pull it off. The many movies within the GTA SA format assisted with the set up for that eventuallity. It is really just a matter of time and whomever decides to do it. They may set themselves up for lawsuits or whatever yet that too can change with time and property rights and executive decisions.

It really doesn't matter to me either way. I am just looking at it from a analytical and business perspective.

GTA SA pioneered many things and the ice breaker for many issues. Some of those issues were retracted early and some caused controversy. Yet, times change and then become something else. Consider the Larry Flynt Story and how that changed the world.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong here, nor where I stand. I'm just looking at markets and how they change because of controversy and then how that continues to change along a line of consequential trends and changes that emerge in commerce.

Supply and Demand change in respect to more and nostalgia is being demonstrated even now with the current resale of GTA SA, for example.

It is a matter of time, for profit or for spite and bragging rights that this sort of thing will happen. Human Nature doesn't change and there are several human nature issues involved in this analysis.

There is a market for it, change has occured and there is still a market for it.....therefore

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

iiCriminnaaL 49

I believe the reason that Grove Street Families were written to be against drugs for is to show them as "the good guys" among Los Santos' gangs. I mean, all they do is killing Ballas (who are their sworn rival gang, which means not some poor citizens, but criminals already) and spraying graffiti tags all over the city. They don't go as far as dealing drugs, smuggling guns (they do steal gun packs in some cases, but only to be used by the members, not for dealing) or doing heists, which are definitely more profitable and believable for a gang.

I'd like to add: as most people know, the Grove Street Families (most likely Families in general) were supposed to wear orange colors - "Orange Grove Families", but I guess the green color was picked to give them some more "nice" vibe. (not like the color is really that important, but you can tell that R* usually tend to humanize the protagonist's gang)

Off-topic: Compared to the Families in San Andreas, The Lost MC were written better in The Lost and Damned, but still not as good as they were written in IV, IMO; they made half of the MC's members clean skinny young shaved boys who mostly wear clothes with green, blue or camo colors, and pick masks instead of helmets. I had to make this mod to get a better satisfaction on the MC.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

(not like the color is really that important, but you can tell that R* usually tend to humanize the protagonist's gang)

They low-key are important unless I read you wrong :turn: During the early events of the storyline, If the player chooses the wear gang colors which are green, ballas members immediately shoot Carl on sight while other gangs like Vagos and VLA members taunt CJ from being from the Grove.

iiCriminnaaL 49
10 hours ago, Big_Smiley said:

They low-key are important unless I read you wrong :turn: During the early events of the storyline, If the player chooses the wear gang colors which are green, ballas members immediately shoot Carl on sight while other gangs like Vagos and VLA members taunt CJ from being from the Grove.

Not that what I meant.

I meant: I think R* changed the Families' color from orange (as in the beta) to green to give them some "nice" vibe so they feel more like the "good guys". But anyway, the color isn't that important after all. (not talking about the gameplay)

Big_Smiley
1 hour ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Not that what I meant.

I meant: I think R* changed the Families' color from orange (as in the beta) to green to give them some "nice" vibe so they feel more like the "good guys". But anyway, the color isn't that important after all. (not talking about the gameplay)

I see. Understood now :^:

Beg_Ultra

Speaking about drug dealing, I got a question. But first I wanna say that I actually like the idea of GSF being against hard drugs dealing, such as crack, and not doing it, but doing only weed and such stuff. And I think it's pretty well explained throughout the story why they don't do that, I like CJ's and Sweet's explanations they state about the reasons for not touching hard drugs. The money you generate in GS comes (the way I see it) from other activities, such as selling weed, prostitution etc, like the others mentioned above. To me, it totally makes sense for a street gang to be against hard drugs - again, CJ and Sweet explain it very well.

Now, the question: The GSF is against hard drugs dealing. And at the end of the game, you defeat and kill El Grando Smokio, you destroy his crack factories in LS and SF, you defeat the Ballas etc, but... at the end of the game, the drug dealers are still all over the streets of LS, dealing just normally like always? I mean, shouldn't they be cleaned from the hood and from the streets as well? At least during a feature mission such as Gang wars, where you would go arround and sweep them arround the game's end?

Edited by Beg_Ultra

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, Beg_Ultra said:

Now, the question: The GSF is against hard drugs dealing. And at the end of the game, you defeat and kill El Grando Smokio, you destroy his crack factories in LS and SF, you defeat the Ballas etc, but... at the end of the game, the drug dealers are still all over the streets of LS, dealing just normally like always? I mean, shouldn't they be cleaned from the hood and from the streets as well? At least during a feature mission such as Gang wars, where you would go arround and sweep them arround the game's end?

R* probably ment to keep them at the end of the final game for detail  purposes. Seeing as your in the hood you'd expect at least one dealer throughout LS. And if you notice the dealers only spawn in highly infested crime areas like Ganton and many parts around Idlewood, El corona and other small parts in 

Playa del Seville. Few in Temple drive and other close areas. Also the fact that they provide large amounts of money for the player.

R* must have ment for the dealers to remain active even when finished with the story. It would make sence that after destroying

Big Smokes crack palace and his ties in SF, dealers would have no means for selling dope on the streets without a connection of suppliers but remember even on the north side, the San ferrio Rifa had cuts aswell in hard drugs even though they have don't have any factories left. We can assume the dealers get their sh*t from other gangs like SFR and possibly other connections not mentioned. It's not ever mentioned throughout in the story but we can assume similar cases in this.

Edited by Big_Smiley
Or it could just be another case for "gta logic" :/

Evil empire
6 hours ago, Beg_Ultra said:

at the end of the game, the drug dealers are still all over the streets of LS, dealing just normally like always? I mean, shouldn't they be cleaned from the hood and from the streets as well? At least during a feature mission such as Gang wars, where you would go arround and sweep them arround the game's end?

Since the horse bets are your best mean to become rich, since your companies generate money at a random rhythm and since the dealers are a very good and easy mean to make money there's nothing surprising in it. It's very convenient for the player and so much the worse for realism.

lil weasel

It is a Game, the "Drug Dealing" has to be down played because there still is a "Code" of the Good Guys winning, in the end.

Does your Real Life authorities win the War against Drugs. No! [It is not profitable for the government to win.]

A vigilante Gang like GSF is not going to do that either, especially with  the fictional lazy/coward Sweet in charge.

Remember when he puts Carl to Tagging, if you follow Sweet he goes back to the Grove Street, and waits under the bridge. Leaving Carl to do ALL the tags.

Sweet wants Carl killed. He sends Carl (alone, although CJ can recruit help) to deal with taking back the Hood (Twice)

Official General
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, Beg_Ultra said:

Speaking about drug dealing, I got a question. But first I wanna say that I actually like the idea of GSF being against hard drugs dealing, such as crack, and not doing it, but doing only weed and such stuff. And I think it's pretty well explained throughout the story why they don't do that, I like CJ's and Sweet's explanations they state about the reasons for not touching hard drugs. The money you generate in GS comes (the way I see it) from other activities, such as selling weed, prostitution etc, like the others mentioned above. To me, it totally makes sense for a street gang to be against hard drugs - again, CJ and Sweet explain it very well.

Errmm, you missed the point here. I know the reasons why GSF have a policy of not touching hard drugs. I suggest you read the OP again for a better understanding.

Beg_Ultra
25 minutes ago, Official General said:

Errmm, you missed the point here. I know the reasons why GSF have a policy of not touching hard drugs. I suggest you read the OP again for a better understanding.

I actually just stated my opinion about the discussion that was going on about it in previous posts, some people like the idea of GSF not selling hard drugs, and some don't like it and think they should sell it (and both sides explain why they think like that). So I just added my opinion about it as well

TheSantader25

I'm glad they don't. Selling drugs is the worst thing a protagonist can do. Even worse than burying a man alive. I'd like to believe the money we earn in GSF is based on protection services to the people and businesses of different territories and also controlling different events in those territories like lowrider events and street races. 

Edited by TheSantader25