2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

GTA VI should focus on "real" criminal organizations again

Journey_95

I wasn't a big fan of GTA V's focus on the corrupt goverment that took up most of the main story and how over the top all that was handled ("gang" war between FIB, IAA and Merryweather was silly), it just felt like some splinter cell knockoff(see Monkey business mission).

The heist theme was sadly shafted in favour of that. Not to mention the wasted opportunity of having Mexican cartels play a big role in the story.

Anyway I hope we return to proper gang focus with GTA VI and the corrupt goverment stuff is just a side plot like in every other GTA before V, anyone agree/disagree? I would rather the protag(s) isn't their bitch for most of the story again.

Edited by Journey_95

Official General

I wasn't a big fan of GTA V's focus on the corrupt goverment that took up most of the main story and how over the top all that was handled ("gang" war between FIB, IAA and Merryweather was silly), it just felt like some splinter cell knockoff(see Monkey business mission).

The heist theme was sadly shafted in favour of that. Not to mention the wasted opportunity of having Mexican cartels play a big role in the story.

Anyway I hope we return to proper gang focus with GTA VI and the corrupt goverment stuff is just a side plot like in every other GTA before V, anyone agree/disagree? I would rather the protag(s) isn't their bitch for most of the story again.

Bravo.

Of course I agree. This has been spoken about many times on here here with the same view expressed by many other forum members, but I don't mind reiterating it again.

I'm so disappointed that Rockstar didn't use V as an opportunity to focus on the Mexican drug cartels and their ties to the Chicano LA gangs. That would have made for such an exciting and interesting sub-plot within the main story. Or at least had it down in some side missions. No all we got was boring corrupt government agent bullsh*t.

Next time, I just hope they take the GTA back to its essence, and focus on more relevant organised crime to the genre, not some stupid Splinter Cell, COD kinda bullsh*t.

TheHumanIsland

rockstar did just fine on Online, official general.

They did not alienate anyone and did not burn the series' catch on any one single focus.

You have seen it as one entity - which is good for single player, and I agree there - but you have ignored the broad phase of the fan base.

You need to see a global tongue on fanbase, only then will you appreciate and understand what gtaonline was. WAS is the key word!

O.Z

FIB missions - where you already know that you are not going to be rewarded at the end of the missions are the most boring in the game by far.

îlîlîlîlîlî

Yes please. There was so much potential for the Mexican and Korean gangs in V; why rockstar didn't take advantage is beyond me.

Fuzzknuckles

Comparing GTA V to COD is absolutely boneheaded ridiculous. A few missions had a sort-of stealth-ish focus and now it's Splinter Cell?

I can't think of anything stupider.

Journey_95

Comparing GTA V to COD is absolutely boneheaded ridiculous. A few missions had a sort-of stealth-ish focus and now it's Splinter Cell?

I know you are a GTA V fan but no need to insult, that just makes you look like a silly fanboy. Also why not comment on the question of this thread, should GTA VI focus on gangs again or not?

Anyway never said it was exactly like Splinter Cell but some missions like Monkey Business definitely felt like I was playing some rip off of SC instead of a proper GTA. I mean Nervetoxins? lol.

A war between the CIA, FIB and Merryweather? Silly, even for GTA.. They completely wasted the heist theme on the whole corrupt goverment bs. Instead of doing it for themselves, the protags once again were just being bitches for the FIB and get no reward.

Yes please. There was so much potential for the Mexican and Korean gangs in V; why rockstar didn't take advantage is beyond me.

Guess they wanted to do something different than just gangs again but it didn't work out at all. And they missed a big opportunity too, a big role for Mexican cartels would have been great and new for GTA.

Edited by Journey_95

Official General

I know you are a GTA V fan but no need to insult, that just makes you look like a silly fanboy. Also why not comment on the question of this thread, should GTA VI focus on gangs again or not?

Anyway never said it was exactly like Splinter Cell but some missions like Monkey Business definitely felt like I was playing some rip off of SC instead of a proper GTA. I mean Nervetoxins? lol.

A war between the CIA, FIB and Merryweather? Silly, even for GTA.

Guess they wanted to do something different than just gangs again but it didn't work out at all. And they missed a big opportunity too, a big role for Mexican cartels would have been great and new for GTA.

Thank for explaining my comment to Fuzz. It would have been of great help to him, since he had a temporary lapse in the basic understanding of what it means to speak figuratively.

That stupid, over the top three-way beef between those government agencies symbolise exactly my point. It all felt like some kind of a pseudo-military/intelligence agency plot line to me, and very little like typical GTA - hence why I mentioned comparisons to COD and Splinter Cell to highlight the connection. I guess some people may not be intelligent enough to grasp this, or maybe they are but just don't want to.

That three-way beef between the FIB, IAA and Merryweather - I'm like "what the f*ck has this got do with me, and what do f*ck do I care?". All I'm trying to do commit crimes for personal financial gain. That was a prime example of the government sh*t being boring and dull, most of it just served no constructive purpose and made no sense to the main theme of pursuing dollars.

Edited by Official General

GTA-Biker

GTA 5 definitely had potential to have a decent crime themed story,but screwed it up by focusing too much on corrupt government agencies and corrupt rich businessmen.Franklin could have been involved more with street gangs and street racing crews (and later robberies with Michael),Trevor with redneck gangs,outlaw biker gangs and later triads,and Michael could still have a bank robber story,with some missions for Madrazo cartel.I didn't really like the corrupt government agencies story.

Hopefully GTA 6 will be more about gangs and criminal organizations again.I would personally prefer biker gang theme like in TLAD,but I wouldn't complain if it's something else like mobs,drug cartels,street gangs,illegal street racing crews...

Edited by LeopardGecko

Efreet

I am sure they will. V is a game of its own and whatever comes next will be a completely different story experience, just like how III, VC, SA and IV are different from each other. This is not to say that V didn't have its lion share of bad reception in respect to the story, from critics and players alike, and I have to say that it deserves it.

Journey_95

GTA 5 definitely had potential to have a decent crime themed story,but screwed it up by focusing too much on corrupt government agencies and corrupt rich businessmen.Franklin could have been involved more with street gangs and street racing crews (and later robberies with Michael),Trevor with redneck gangs,outlaw biker gangs and later triads,and Michael could still have a bank robber story,with some missions for Madrazo cartel.I didn't really like the corrupt government agencies story.

Hopefully GTA 6 will be more about gangs and criminal organizations again.I would personally prefer biker gang theme like in TLAD,but I wouldn't complain if it's something else like mobs,drug cartels,street gangs,illegal street racing crews...

They wanted to try something different but it just didn't work out imho.

I would understand if they didn't want to use the italian mafia again (almost every GTA game had them) but since since it was LA they missed a big opportunity with the Mexican Cartels which no GTA game had so far

The corrupt goverment stuff should have been just a side plot and only with Michael. Dragging the other two into it was lame etc.

Edited by Journey_95

MrAssClap

That's what happens when you pander to the mindless. You get a mindless story plot about "corruption conspiracy yadda yadda". Gta 5 was a huge letdown for me story wise and I know quite a few of gta fans in real life that completely agree with me for the same reasons that are mentioned above. I still play the game as it is good however I couldn't and still cant get immersed into the world and story like I could IV. I would compare it to the first fast and furious movie to the movies now. Sure there are more explosions and planes and helicopters and a bigger budget, but it all feels like gimmicks when you're missing the true heart and soul that once was. I cared about niko Johnny and luis way more than I ever gave a flying rats a$$ about the 3 in 5

Cern

Hell nah. Corrupt government has always played a big part in gang media. The entire plot of San Andreas was based around a corrupt official, Tenpenny.

slimeball supreme

Personally, yeah. The corrupt government thing only made its presence in SA, IV, and V - and tbh it doesn't really make sense to center the whole game around it like V did. If you're gonna keep corrupt officials in the story, don't make them half of the game's story.

fanboy

you do understand this is a fan forum right

Official General

Personally, yeah. The corrupt government thing only made its presence in SA, IV, and V - and tbh it doesn't really make sense to center the whole game around it like V did. If you're gonna keep corrupt officials in the story, don't make them half of the game's story.

fanboy

you do understand this is a fan forum right

The thing is you see, it's not just the main theme of corrupt government agents dominating that bothered me in V - it was the fact that it was not interwined with the themes of organised crime, gangs, drug trafficking etc - you know, the real interesting and fun stuff. It was just all this mumbo-jumbo about being held to ransom and acting as a lapdog and b*tch to the Feds, which took up more than half the game's main story. Gosh, it just got so boring.

Fuzzknuckles

Gosh, it just got so boring.

Nearly as boring, as, say, someone saying the same thing every day for three years.

Dude, are you stuck?

Just out of interest, if the missions had been EXACTLY the same, but you'd been working for the Cartel, or some other tedious criminal trope, would you have complained so much? Is it literally just the theming that ENTIRELY RUINED this game for you, or is it deeper than that? If every single thing about the game's missions had been as they were, but done for someone that fitted your trope criteria exactly, would the game have been better for you?

Edited by Fuzzknuckles

Algonquin Assassin

It depends on the time setting and theme. I didn't really like the stranglehold this angle took in GTA V, but fair enough it was relevant to the time setting and theme.

I was actually less a fan of the Merryweather fiasco than the FIB and IAA seeing as every GTA game has featured some sort of corrupt government figure/agency side story so working for corrupt agents didn't bother me.

It was how much it felt like it took up the story killing potential for other avenues to be explored and roping in a private militia in a GTA game just felt weird IMO.

However I would really prefer it took take more of a backseat role this time around and focus more on traditional criminal organisations.

Official General

Gosh, it just got so boring.

Nearly as boring, as, say, someone saying the same thing every day for three years.

Dude, are you stuck?

Just out of interest, if the missions had been EXACTLY the same, but you'd been working for the Cartel, or some other tedious criminal trope, would you have complained so much? Is it literally just the theming that ENTIRELY RUINED this game for you, or is it deeper than that? If every single thing about the game's missions had been as they were, but done for someone that fitted your trope criteria exactly, would the game have been better for you?

Brother, you know if you don't like my posts you don't have to read them or reply to them. Or I can go on your ignore list. I'm not gonna keep on telling you this man. If you post such comments like "aren't you bored of saying the same things" or anything like that again I'm simply not going to respond. If you're gonna talk GTA then talk GTA, don't question me on irrelevant points like if I'm bored, repeating myself etc.

I have no issue discussing stuff with you whether you agree with me or not, but seriously cut out the bullsh*t and take it to someone else who has time for it.

In response to your more relevant question - I can't see a scenario where drug cartel missions could be exactly the same as the Feds missions in V, for me to properly answer that. But if it was possible and implemented fittingly, then no, I'd more than likely have complained less, because I'd have felt like I was involved in a 'proper' typically GTA crime story.

And I never said a drug cartel theme would guarantee the story to be more fun and interesting, it could still be messed up and turn out to be boring - but in my opinion it's much less likely to be boring to me because it's to do with organised crime, which it what drew me to GTA in the first place. And there are more reasons why I found the main theme of V boring and uninteresting, I'm not naming them for you, you've been around long enough to see my previous posts and know what they are. Don't wanna bore you any further now do I ?

Now, please stick to GTA talk with me from now on......

Jimbatron

It depends on the time setting and theme. I didn't really like the stranglehold this angle took in GTA V, but fair enough it was relevant to the time setting and theme.

I was actually less a fan of the Merryweather fiasco than the FIB and IAA seeing as every GTA game has featured some sort of corrupt government figure/agency side story so working for corrupt agents didn't bother me.

It was how much it felt like it took up the story killing potential for other avenues to be explored and roping in a private militia in a GTA game just felt weird IMO.

However I would really prefer it took take more of a backseat role this time around and focus more on traditional criminal organisations.

I wonder if they felt on safer ground having the protagonists killing mercenaries and corrupt spies rather than regular cops. In the Paleto score an awful lot is made of the fact the cops in Blaine County are "dirty". GTA has never been a franchise to pull punches in the past, but as it becomes bigger it's not a surprise if they become more cautious being more in the spot light with more money at stake. There are very few missions where you are forced to kill a lot of regular cops in V - only the obvious approach to the finale score really springs to mind.

I think all GTAs do need a corrupt government agency where someone on the inside has an incentive to cover up the protagonists actions to suspend disbelief - otherwise they'd be tracked down very quickly.

I also didn't mind V's plot at all. I would have definitely liked to see more from Wei Cheng and Martin Madrazo's organisations though, my suspicion is this was trimmed down because they wanted to make the story shorter because not enough players bothered to finish IV.

AidanGTALCVCSA

Grand Theft Auto was about corrupt governments since San Andreas. Remember C.R.A.S.H? San Andreas was always the current best GTA and you had to work with C.R.A.S.H at times in San Andreas. I would like to see more of working with the government/police. :/

Official General

Grand Theft Auto was about corrupt governments since San Andreas. Remember C.R.A.S.H? San Andreas was always the current best GTA and you had to work with C.R.A.S.H at times in San Andreas. I would like to see more of working with the government/police. :/

Your're getting government and PMC agencies confused with local law enforcement.

Not the same thing bro.

Journey_95

Really not comparable. Almost every GTA had the protag doing dirty work for some corrupt goverment dude but V was on a whole other level.

It was basically the main story and we got a ridiculous "war" between FIB, IAA and Merryweather. Instead of a proper heist & money focused story or more involvment of real criminal organizations we got the protags being bitches of the FIB for the whole game.

I don't see how it was relevant to the time setting and theme at all. If anything a big role for cartels would have made sense considering this game is set in freaking LA, just like the mob did for GTA IV.

Racecarlock

Well yes, but I'd like to issue a challenge to whoever might actually make a concept around this idea, along with rockstar themselves if they're bored and surfing our forums for whatever reason.

Have 3 gangs in conflict, but they CAN NOT be italian mafia or african american gangsters or the russian mafia. Or bikers. Sorry biker fans

Why? Because those have been done to death, brought back as a frankenstein monster, and then pushed off a cliff by angry villagers. I know there are a lot of godfather fans on here, and that's great, but for once in my stinkin' life I want to see different gangs. I want to see unique gangs that don't normally get looked at. I mean, I get it, the godfather was the greatest thing to happen to humanity since jesus summoned his army of large breasted hookers and sent all of humanity into sexual ecstasy for a week, but IT'S GOTTEN STALE NOW! It's always about the damn mob! It's so repetitive. Same goes for hood rats and bikers. I want to see something new.

Official General

Well yes, but I'd like to issue a challenge to whoever might actually make a concept around this idea, along with rockstar themselves if they're bored and surfing our forums for whatever reason.

Have 3 gangs in conflict, but they CAN NOT be italian mafia or african american gangsters or the russian mafia. Or bikers. Sorry biker fans

Why? Because those have been done to death, brought back as a frankenstein monster, and then pushed off a cliff by angry villagers. I know there are a lot of godfather fans on here, and that's great, but for once in my stinkin' life I want to see different gangs. I want to see unique gangs that don't normally get looked at. I mean, I get it, the godfather was the greatest thing to happen to humanity since jesus summoned his army of large breasted hookers and sent all of humanity into sexual ecstasy for a week, but IT'S GOTTEN STALE NOW! It's always about the damn mob! It's so repetitive. Same goes for hood rats and bikers. I want to see something new.

Hence why I always wanted a Mexican drug cartel theme in V as that angle has not bern touched on before in GTA.

MrAssClap

Some of yall don't realize that creating satire over any form of a Mexican cartel could potentially get someone at rockstar killed. I do support the implementation of a Mexican cartel though.

El-Gaddafii

I agree with a lot that has been said on here and feel the same, it almost feels as if GTA V's story was rushed (shortest story if I'm not mistaken) it also lacks that 'rags to riches' feel of every other previous GTA title. As many others have stated too much of the story was focused on being the governments little bitch whilst running errands for them instead of focusing on growing my money, power and respect in Los Santos.

Another part of the story which I hated is how we were effectively playing as a snitch, could there be anything worse for a protagonist in a game about crime?

Online isn't any better in the whole 'criminal' aspect as free roam seems more like a terrorist simulator more than anything else.

UAL

Some of yall don't realize that creating satire over any form of a Mexican cartel could potentially get someone at rockstar killed. I do support the implementation of a Mexican cartel though.

Madrazzo was one big parody

ClaudeSpeed1911

I don't see how that would put anyone in danger. This has been done in other games and yet nothing happened.

Triple Vacuum Seal

People in the media industry generally only get killed when they make unfavorable references and allusions to very specific crime figures. Otherwise, the Mexican drug gangs would be killing artists every week.

Journey_95

Hence why I always wanted a Mexican drug cartel theme in V as that angle has not bern touched on before in GTA.

Same with the Heist theme really, we had heists in previous GTA's but it was never the main focus. I thought that was what we would be getting with GTA V.

Instead we just got being bitches of the corrupt FIB for the majority of the game and even doing most heists for them (if it was just one I would be fine with it), soo much potential wasted.

Edited by Journey_95