1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Traits you don't want to see in the next protagonist?

Michael

On 1/19/2021 at 10:05 PM, Thelema93 said:

I don't want a clean protagonist.. I want a cokehead.. I want a coke snorting mini game where it gives you enhanced reflexes and faster movements for a small period of time after you snort a line.. always try your own product 

Rule one never underestimate someone else's greed. Rule two never get high on your own supply.

• Like 1

I don't want them to have a family. Like, a brother, sister, cousin... whatever. Just no wife/husband and kids; I wanna play a person with no strings attached with nothing holding them in a particular place.

• Like 2

I wouldn't call that a trait, but... I don't want a protagonist who is just there and we don't know anything about them.

Edited by Americana

Thomas Cavendish
1 hour ago, Ser_Salty said:

I don't want them to have a family. Like, a brother, sister, cousin... whatever. Just no wife/husband and kids; I wanna play a person with no strings attached with nothing holding them in a particular place.

What will it be about?
what dilemas will this man have?
What will he care about?

9 minutes ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

What will it be about?
What will he care about?

Lmao, I kinda f*cked up my wording a bit, I meant it's fine if they have have a brother, sister or cousin or something, just no wife/husband and kids. Also literally no GTA protagonist except  Michael had a family of their own. CJ had a brother and a sister, Niko had a cousin, and Luis a mother, but that's it (As in, they appear in the game.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

What will it be about?
What will he care about?

Did you just assume the gender of the next protagonist???

• Bruh 1

Thomas Cavendish
On 1/30/2021 at 6:45 AM, Collibosher said:

Did you just assume the gender of the next protagonist???

whatever.
I don't care.
and it doesn't matter for the subject.

• KEKW 1
  • Bruh 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, darkdayz said:

For me personally I like to embody the character, the actions I take in the open world are reflective of what is happening to that character in the story. I think that's how Rockstar want us to play their games. Of course that's not for everyone. People still like to play a Rockstar game like they did back in the VC/SA days - as much chaos as possible in the open world.

This is a huge dissonance with the stories they are trying to tell. It's a hard line to blur but I think they are making good attempts to fix that, especially with RDR2. I was more cautious with Arthur in the open world than I ever have been in a Rockstar title. I really felt like I had to work towards the Arthur they presented to me in the story. I asked myself "would Arthur do that" many many times. Back in the SD games this wasn't even part of my thoughts.

I'd hope Rockstar would revert back to this attitude, but I'm afraid Take-Two won't let them.

Just make the game you wanna make and trust that your players will play with the right mindset and truly immerse themselves with the story and the personality of their protagonist.

And the ones that don't and still play the game like we're in 2005? Well f*ck em! Its their thing, let them do it. We wanna enjoy a timeless, beautifully written story.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2021 at 2:24 AM, 1funeral2many said:

...i'm cool with the idea of a girl protagonist, hell you could play as girls in the original gta so dont know why anyone would really care...

Nobody cares, that’s the thing. The issue is the gaming journosphere acts like it’s the 1890s and they still have to go out and protest for women’s suffrage or some other nonsense, meanwhile back in reality gamers have proven they legitimately don’t care so long as the game is fun. Everyone wants to LARP as a progressive cultural revolutionary, but are pissed all the ‘noble’ battles have already been fought and won. So they pick inconsequential crap like “first female protag with 824651 qualifiers” because Samus Aran already smashed the patriarchy and the glass ceiling by being a strong independent woman who don’t need no man in 1986. People need to pick up a bloody history book

• Like 3

PsyWarVeteran

I basically want another Tommy Vercetti with a tiny bit more humor and selflessness. Oh also, no more 45+ protagonists please.

Edited by PsyWarVeteran
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, éX-Driver said:

Nobody cares, that’s the thing. The issue is the gaming journosphere acts like it’s the 1890s and they still have to go out and protest for women’s suffrage or some other nonsense, meanwhile back in reality gamers have proven they legitimately don’t care so long as the game is fun. Everyone wants to LARP as a progressive cultural revolutionary, but are pissed all the ‘noble’ battles have already been fought and won. So they pick inconsequential crap like “first female protag with 824651 qualifiers” because Samus Aran already smashed the patriarchy and the glass ceiling by being a strong independent woman who don’t need no man in 1986. People need to pick up a bloody history book

I'll come back to this if GTA VI actually does get a female protagonist and capital G gamers here, on reddit and on twitter will be f*cking pissing their pants because of the "liberal agenda." You already know The Quartering is gonna make 10 f*cking videos a day about how Rockstar has "gone woke" and how GTA VI is gonna fail because of it etc.

2 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

I'll come back to this if GTA VI actually does get a female protagonist and capital G gamers here, on reddit and on twitter will be f*cking pissing their pants because of the "liberal agenda." You already know The Quartering is gonna make 10 f*cking videos a day about how Rockstar has "gone woke" and how GTA VI is gonna fail because of it etc.

I think you’ve built up this strawman of what you want to believe “gamers” are, so you can then justify devoting your Two Minutes Hate to attacking that strawman under the belief that any significant percentage of actual game players are genuinely like that. And you convince yourself that this strawman actually exists, and you continue to get angrier under the belief it does, despite the fact its an invention of your own imagination.

Have a snickers

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want the protagonist to be weak and unintimidating. I want him to be a big intimidating badass like Arthur Morgan who can lift people off their feet and choke them out.

vlus6eh8gwg61.png

Edited by Damien Scott
  • Like 3

I don't want the protagonist to be another Niko Bellic or Michael De Santa type where they are written as hardened killers, but on the inside they also are flawed humans that don't want to be criminals, I want someone who is proud of his criminal lifestyle, or at least, likes to take advantage of it as an easy source of income, simply to enjoy luxuries and have a better life overall, sort of like Vito Scaletta from Mafia 2, It would be pretty fresh for the GTA franchise.

Edited by The Tracker