1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Traits you don't want to see in the next protagonist?

Michael

On 4/19/2016 at 1:04 PM, The Dedito Gae said:

This, Michael got so annoying with the act, it was always "poor me" "i miss my family" and that little dialogue he has with Franklin, "if you don't have something to whine about, life would be boring"

Who the f*ck wrote this sh*t?

Niko was grounded with the self loathing, Michael is just a whining bitch.

Two different people at different parts of their lives I guess.

Pre GTAV Michael is the rare example of a gta protagonist who didn't get brutally murdered/imprisoned in months or years after their story took place. He's seen and done it all, got out as clean as possible and is experiencing a big case of "now what?".

Edited by GR7
  • Like 1

A lone ranger

I like em but wow it's lonely playing GTA games again. Maybe a work duo or something.

One of the things I like about the Saints Row games no matter which you play.

Nice necro

on topic, I love how people are whinging about how they want a GTA protagonist that’s calm, level-headed, nice, and pleasant to be around. You’re literally playing as a mass murderer, what do you expect? For the protagonist to give a child a balloon before he mercilessly guns down a dozen cops and RPG’s a car? Come on. The reason 5’s protagonists were such whiney bitches is because it’s meta humour. The game is a critical takedown of the vapid pursuit of the ‘almighty dollar’, as R* put it when they first unveiled the game. Michael and Franklin in particular are parodies of aspects of American society and especially southern Californian people. Franklin is mocking millennials who are giant sticks-in-the-mud who blame everyone and everything else for their problems and simply cannot see the positives in anything, and Michael is mocking baby boomers who are stuck in the past. In both, it’s mocking Los Angeleans who can’t recognise how good they have it and who think the only measure of happiness and success is how many zeroes there are in their bank savings. And overall the entire game is a showcase of the “grass is always greener” mindset. All 3 protags think they will finally find happiness with “one last score”, only to find they’re no happier once they do it. And instead are just stuck staring into the miasma of a bland meaningless future where they’ve already done everything they thought they’d do. 

I fully agree it could’ve been written better, 5 had the weakest writing of any mainline GTA game since 3. But the bones are there; you can see what they were going for. 

Personally, I wouldn’t want another protagonist like Trevor. He takes the whole “I don’t give a f*ck” thing too far for it to be entertaining. I know why they made him that way, and it works for the narrative, they just never stopped to think if it was a narrative worth writing. 
I also wouldn’t want a protagonist like Claude. He has no personality and just mindlessly does as he is instructed like a robot. Even when dealing with Catalina he comes off emotionless. 
from a narrative standpoint, I liked Niko and especially Johnny the most. With Luis and Wang being the next best.

• 1 month later...

please a female character i wanna watch the world burn for the scumbags

GRINCH ASS BITCH

It's divisive, but I'm solidly onboard with a woman or transgendered person taking the lead role; this is dangerous territory all things considered, but I have the utmost faith in R*'s ability to pull it off convincingly 👍

• Like 3

reluctantly working for assholes for little reward and getting nothing substantial in return

this sh*t straight up pisses me off

I never understood the ideology that the protagonist is SUPPOSED to be unlikable. Like yeah, just because they kill people and sell drugs and do this that and the third doesn’t mean they can’t be compelling and likeable, and have REAL goals and motivations. I mean hell, I’ve been around people like that my whole life so maybe I’m a bit more open minded to it, but I found CJ, Johnny and Lamar to be great characters with real loyalty and values, even if they are loose cannon gang members. What I DONT want is another self absorbed crybaby with a death wish (Michael/Franklin). I’d like if the family aspect was done in a more supportive way as opposed to all of the side characters being chastising and condescending. Why couldn’t we have Franklin living with his grandfather and give him a dynamic like Craig and pops from Friday, where he genuinely cares about him and gives him advice on the right thing to do. I think more that anything That’s my problem with the protagonists in V. None of them have any positive outside influences and are just complacent being everyone else’s errand boy and punching back. Why can’t we have SUPPORTIVE characters that flesh out some new great protagonists? Lamar was the only character I genuinely liked in V. Everyone else was AWFUL.

Edited by SonofLosSantos

15 minutes ago, SonofLosSantos said:

I never understood the ideology that protagonist is SUPPOSED to be unlikable. Like yeah just because they kill people and sell drugs and do this that and the third doesn’t mean they can’t be compelling and likeable, and have REAL goals and motivations. I mean hell, I’ve been around people like that my whole life so maybe I’m a bit more open minded to it, but I found CJ, Johnny and Lamar to be great characters with real loyalty and values, even if they are loose cannon gang bangers. What I DONT want is another self absorbed crybaby with a death wish (Michael/Franklin). I’d like of the family aspect was done in a more supportive role as opposed to all of the side characters being chastising and condescending. Why couldn’t we have Franklin living with his grandfather and give him a dynamic like Craig and pops from Friday, where he genuinely cares about him and gives him advice on the right thing to do. I think more that anything That’s my problem with the protagonists in V. None of them have any positive outside influences and are just complacent being everyone else’s errand boy and punching back. Why can’t we have SUPPORTIVE characters that flesh out some new great protagonists? Lamar was the only character I genuinely liked in V. Everyone else was AWFUL.

Well said. A character like Franklin, trying to escape crime, doesn't really fit in a game all about crime.

Michael goes from being a bank robber to murdering thousands of cops - it didn't feel as believable as it did with a former people smuggler like Niko for example.

Trevor of course was the other extreme. No more of him please.

Have a protagonist that is believable in terms of being a criminal, but with a personality. No more "holier than thou" characters like Franklin.

1 hour ago, SonofLosSantos said:

I never understood the ideology that the protagonist is SUPPOSED to be unlikable. Like yeah, just because they kill people and sell drugs and do this that and the third doesn’t mean they can’t be compelling and likeable, and have REAL goals and motivations. I mean hell, I’ve been around people like that my whole life so maybe I’m a bit more open minded to it, but I found CJ, Johnny and Lamar to be great characters with real loyalty and values, even if they are loose cannon gang members. What I DONT want is another self absorbed crybaby with a death wish (Michael/Franklin). I’d like if the family aspect was done in a more supportive way as opposed to all of the side characters being chastising and condescending. Why couldn’t we have Franklin living with his grandfather and give him a dynamic like Craig and pops from Friday, where he genuinely cares about him and gives him advice on the right thing to do. I think more that anything That’s my problem with the protagonists in V. None of them have any positive outside influences and are just complacent being everyone else’s errand boy and punching back. Why can’t we have SUPPORTIVE characters that flesh out some new great protagonists? Lamar was the only character I genuinely liked in V. Everyone else was AWFUL.

1 hour ago, Patrizio said:

Well said. A character like Franklin, trying to escape crime, doesn't really fit in a game all about crime.

Michael goes from being a bank robber to murdering thousands of cops - it didn't feel as believable as it did with a former people smuggler like Niko for example.

Trevor of course was the other extreme. No more of him please.

Have a protagonist that is believable in terms of being a criminal, but with a personality. No more "holier than thou" characters like Franklin.

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the protagonists of GTA V seem to have been a result of a revolutionary new mechanic they wanted to display and it's as though they chose surface templates of old protagonists in an attempt to easily satisfy this mechanic and offer the gamer characters they are already familiar with. It's piss poor in my opinion and I hate it. It really made me value Niko more.

In terms of the ideology that GTA characters are supposed to be unlikeable, that's hilarious, it's actually the opposite, that's why they are the protagonist. Connecting with a character actually has very little to do with their negative actions, but more to do with relating to their pitfalls they experience amongst those actions. We attach those emotional moments with our own and that's how we relate. It's all about the human condition.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, darkdayz said:

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the protagonists of GTA V seem to have been a result of a revolutionary new mechanic they wanted to display and it's as though they chose surface templates of old protagonists in an attempt to easily satisfy this mechanic and offer the gamer characters they are already familiar with. It's piss poor in my opinion and I hate it. It really made me value Niko more.

100%. I agree completely. Franklin was CJ-lite without the personality. Michael and Trevor both seemed like "experiments".

"Why not have a character already at the top of his game who gets back in?" - failing to realise most want to make THEMSELVES to the top of the game, not to be given it.

"Let's have one with a dysfunctional family including adult children" - let's not.

"Let's have one like a GTA player on a rampage" - let's not. Our story character and how we play outside of the story are separate. Don't thrust that on us.

All in all it just proved to me that multi protagonists spreads them too thin. Protagonists become one dimensional and stale. Two MAXIMUM but as you said V really made me appreciate Niko. Before V I took it for granted that I'd like and connect with the protagonist. Thankfully RDR2 restored this faith.

1 hour ago, Patrizio said:

"Let's have one like a GTA player on a rampage" - let's not. Our story character and how we play outside of the story are separate. Don't thrust that on us.

All in all it just proved to me that multi protagonists spreads them too thin. Protagonists become one dimensional and stale. Two MAXIMUM but as you said V really made me appreciate Niko. Before V I took it for granted that I'd like and connect with the protagonist. Thankfully RDR2 restored this faith.

It's an awkward line to walk with the story and how people play in the open world. For many people it doesn't work, too conflicting, I totally understand that.

For me personally I like to embody the character, the actions I take in the open world are reflective of what is happening to that character in the story. I think that's how Rockstar want us to play their games. Of course that's not for everyone. People still like to play a Rockstar game like they did back in the VC/SA days - as much chaos as possible in the open world.

This is a huge dissonance with the stories they are trying to tell. It's a hard line to blur but I think they are making good attempts to fix that, especially with RDR2. I was more cautious with Arthur in the open world than I ever have been in a Rockstar title. I really felt like I had to work towards the Arthur they presented to me in the story. I asked myself "would Arthur do that" many many times. Back in the SD games this wasn't even part of my thoughts.

But yes. RDR2 solidified for me that you don't need more than one character to make a game incredible. The benefits to having one and going on that journey for me far out-way any moments of excitement that multiple characters can bring.

Edited by darkdayz

2 hours ago, Patrizio said:

100%. I agree completely. Franklin was CJ-lite without the personality. Michael and Trevor both seemed like "experiments".

"Why not have a character already at the top of his game who gets back in?" - failing to realise most want to make THEMSELVES to the top of the game, not to be given it.

"Let's have one with a dysfunctional family including adult children" - let's not.

the thing is, they had 3 fully fleshed out great protagonists in IV, and I foolishly expected them to do the same for V but BETTER. imagine my surprise when it was way way worse 

• Like 3

Always being whiny.

Seriously, sometimes he just should be more like a Tom Cruise movie character and act instead of whine or complain.

Edited by VercettiGuy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofLosSantos said:

the thing is, they had 3 fully fleshed out great protagonists in IV, and I foolishly expected them to do the same for V but BETTER. imagine my surprise when it was way way worse 

Incredible really isn't it? I look at V as an experiment. I hope they revert back to type with VI. 

• Like 1
  • Best Bru 1

44 minutes ago, Patrizio said:

Incredible really isn't it? I look at V as an experiment. I hope they revert back to type with VI. 

V is just so overrated. Compared to other GTAs it's really a couple of steps backwards.

The only step forward was the online mode, which also started moonwalking around 2017.

sometimesIwork4goverment

Not wacky

Not greedy

Un-kind (please i just want to be kind to people)

A female protagonist is fine, just so long as they don't make it the typical SJW "Anything a man can do a woman can do better!" or some other bullsh*t. If it's in the past then that's alright but modern day 'feminism'? That can f*ck right off to hell. Honestly what I'd like is a Bonnie/Clyde situation where you play as a couple, multiple protags CAN work GTA V just had one too many. The story potential is great, especially if they adapt the timeline aspect from RDR 2 so we see them meet and build up to them being master bank robbers and thieves!

Also don't have the next protag(s) kill off Trevor, Lamar, Franklin, Michael, or Niko just to look good. I'm fine if they bring back Madrazo, El Rubio, or an antagonist to kill off like Rocco in GTA V but don't bring back allies/protags just to kill them...

Don't want another honourable thief type..don't want one with a lot of emotional baggage... don't want another CJ or franklin.. I want a lovable rouge type.. a ruthless cutthroat killer with a sharp tongue who's involved with the cartel.

Someone like Rafael Montero.. Anthony Ruivivar's character from burn notice.  He's only in one episode but he steals the spotlight in every scene he's in.. hilariously sadistic.. extremely charasmatic.. devilishly evil.. yet strangely loveble..he'd make a great protagonist.. 

Edited by Thelema93
  • Like 1

If it's a "street/gangsta" mc then please actually let them enjoy the gang life and want to excel at it. I'm tired of the trying to escape the hood story we've already seen it with cj, luis, and franklin. Also I'm good on the families let's focus on another gang like the vagos or mara bunta. 

Hypocrite both michael and Trevor showed hypocritical traits it made them more relatable but when overdone it can be annoying.

Whiney I don't mind the occasional complaint but I'd rather the character be a smart ass than a whiner. 

Edited by Copcaller
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Copcaller said:

If it's a "street/gangsta" mc then please actually let them enjoy the gang life and want to excel at it. I'm tired of the trying to escape the hood story we've already seen it with cj, luis, and franklin. Also I'm good on the families let's focus on another gang like the vagos or mara bunta. 

Yeah that's one thing I hated about all the streets/gangsta protagonists we've had. They always wanted to leave that life behind.

They should make it so that even in the end when he ends up being successful and rich he still misses it and it's still in him and no matter how much money he has he cares more about his reputation in the street.

Edited by Zello

I don't want a clean protagonist.. I want a cokehead.. I want a coke snorting mini game where it gives you enhanced reflexes and faster movements for a small period of time after you snort a line.. always try your own product 

1funeral2many

the silent protaganist is pretty much the ultimate gaming protagonist; no need to worry about character developement, more emphasis on the game itself. though i suppose the silent character was more of a trope of the "golden era" of late 90s/early 00s gaming so i can see how people get sick of it and would want more emphasis on a good story.

i'm cool with the idea of a girl protagonist, hell you could play as girls in the original gta so dont know why anyone would really care. "hurr durr muh sjws" those type of people complained of GTA5 for being mysogonistic or whatever but unlike the conservative politicians that had the power to kill off the manhunt series they didnt do sh*t to halt GTA5 or get it censored.

12 minutes ago, 1funeral2many said:

but unlike the conservative politicians that had the power to kill off the manhunt series they didnt do sh*t to halt GTA5 or get it censored.

They kinda got it removed from being sold at Targets in Australia for some time way back in 2014-2015. But you do have a point those kinds of people don't really hold much weight or power over getting stuff banned compared to the politicians and conservatives trying to get rid of GTA in the early 2000's.

Edited by Zello

1funeral2many
4 minutes ago, Zello said:

They kinda got it removed from being sold at Targets in Australia for some time way back in 2014-2015.

i actually didnt know that before. still, getting it removed from a single chain as opposed to an entire country is not much.

NOT Like Claude (someone who talks too much)

• Like 2

billiejoearmstrong8

Just not some kind of young trendy club-going GTA Online style character, I beg of you. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zello said:

Yeah that's one thing I hated about all the streets/gangsta protagonists we've had. They always wanted to leave that life behind.

They should make it so that even in the end when he ends up being successful and rich he still misses it and it's still in him and no matter how much money he has he cares more about his reputation in the street.

I wouldn't mind that but I'm thinking someone who's aspiration is to become the leader or high ranking member of the gang. Someone like lamar just smarter or the boss from saints row  like I'd love to actually start out as a rookie then move up from regular gang member to shot caller to actually leading the gang. I wouldn't mind him or her doing other types of crime but they should be a gang banger first and foremost. 

Edited by Copcaller