2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Should I switch to PC?

RamiTR

I became a PC gamer about a year and a half ago, but I still had my Xbox One laying around. I bought the game day one back in 2013 for the Xbox 360 & again when it came out for the Xbox One since it was my primary gaming platform at the time.

However, lately I've been playing a lot of PC games & have been enjoying my experience more. I'm planning on upgrading my PC specs in the near future and maybe even sell my console if I get more into the PC gaming scene, but my question is; should I buy the PC version of GTA V & get rid of my console version, or should I just stick with the console version & save myself the hassle? Are there any key differences besides graphics? Are the mods good enough to justify switching platforms? Thanks in advance!

60FPS @1080p+, Faster loading times, way faster, insanely better graphics, obviously mods which are practically limitless, keyboard and mouse controls, more mature players, its free online(no XBL subscriptions), Steam, seamless KB+M to controller transition, Self Radio. I could go on.

It's the same game of course, but every little detail is better. Whatever you want to do you can. Sell your console and get a nice GPU, or buy a few hundred Steam games. Join us.

While most of what Crystal mention is true, keep in mind that in order to achieve [email protected], faster loading times and "insanely better graphics" you need a good PC. Some old CPU/GPU with 4Gb ram won't achieve any of this. I know, because my brothers old PC consisted of Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 4Gb ram and GTX650 and the game ran horribly on it. Lowest settings, 720p, 20-40 fps, not to mention the insane lag spikes after around 30 minutes of gameplay. I suggest you NOT to sell your console and keep it for GTA5. GTA Online on PC has cheaters that from what I've heard recently can drain your money and put you in bad sport. You can get PC version on a sale just for the singleplayer and mods. Don't expect Online to be better than consoles. There are some cool mods for it, but don't expect to play online if you plan on modding. You can check out what mods are available in https://www.gta5-mods.com/

Also I'd argue about "more mature players" in GTA on PC. Still plenty of kids yelling "stfu" to everybody in their chrome supercars with $ wheels throwing sticky bombs left and right. Wouldn't call the playerbase very mature. Same stuff that I experienced on my 360 back in the day only now these kids have access to mod menus that can mess up your game. I still don't get it why R* just doesn't drop the ban hammer on them.

Edited by WalterS_LV

While most of what Crystal mention is true, keep in mind that in order to achieve [email protected], faster loading times and "insanely better graphics" you need a good PC. Some old CPU/GPU with 4Gb ram won't achieve any of this. I know, because my brothers old PC consisted of Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 4Gb ram and GTX650 and the game ran horribly on it.

Well if you had a PC that doesn't even meet minimum requirements you shouldn't expect good results. Also I'm talking PC in general has more mature players. I've got 500 hours on Arma 2 and never met anyone under 20, but there definitely are less squeakers on PC than an Xbox or PS4.

I've heard recently can drain your money and put you in bad sport

1 guy did that and it was patched within an hour.

I still don't get it why R* just doesn't drop the ban hammer on them.

I have an interesting thread for you: http://gtaforums.com/topic/830734-rockstar-accidentally-allow-cheaters/

Edited by Crystal3lf

The game runs fine with a core 2 quad. But I discovered something: with the right combination of drivers and OS (for some reason I get less stutter on Windows 7) it is possible to play (most of the times with little stutter) with just 4gb of ram. Recently I found that my system was using 5gb of memory (ram+pagefile. It climbs to almost 6gb after a while) when playing GTA. So the minimum ram requirement should be changed to 6gb (or at least 5-5.5gb). The program "Process Explorer" can tell the true memory usage of a computer running Windows: look for "commit peak" under "Commit Charge" in the "Memory" tab that shows up when you open "System information".

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff382715.aspx

Reasons to play PC:

• Custom Soundtrack (Self Radio)
  • Graphics
  • 60fps performance
  • Faster load times

Reasons to stick with PS4/XboxOne:

• Little to No cheaters online
  • Higher player count
  • Cheaper
  • Easier to maintain (no need to mess with settings or download graphics drivers)

Mods are absolutely not good enough to be a factor when choosing to buy this game on PC. They are generally highly unstable, they're only allowed in single player (yet people cheat and use them online anyway and get themselves banned), and are just not interesting. You might use an iron man mod for 20 minutes before you get completely bored.

@Crystal... god damn you have some rose tinted glasses there buddy. "Insanely better graphics"? lmao. They look practically identical. The main difference is the performance. I own both the PS4 copy and the PC copy. And I completely max out the PC version with 60+fps

Edited by Nick930930

Thanks for the replies! Based on what you guys posted I think I'll stick with my Xbox for now, not a big fan of cheaters online.