1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

thafablifee46

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

What era should the next game be set in?  

846 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

GTA-Biker

San Francisco has had some thrilling criminal activity in 70's, actually starting from mid-60's. They should really consider doing it. It's as good as 90's LA and 80's Miami, or even better.

You know something I'd like proof of this. I've heard a few people on here say this now, and as someone who has read a lot about American organised crime, I'm just not convinced that San Francisco had such a thriving criminal underworld scene in the 1970s that was well-known enough to rival those of other American cities that were actually well-known like 80s Miami or 90s LA. For one, SF had no real Mafia, and no Irish Mob, none of them operating there on any significant level. Black gangs were mainly big in nearby Oakland, not SF. The only crime group SF is well known for are the Triads, and even then their era was the 1980s and it was not highly publicised. I think guys like you watch too much of that 1970s American cop show called "The Streets Of San Francisco" and got too carried away.

There were Asian gangs and the Golden Dragon massacre (maybe we could see Yakuza in GTA again,they would fit San Fierro more than any other GTA city),there were some biker gangs in San Francisco (the AOD were mentioned to be from San Fierro in TLAD),maybe some Latino gangs and cartels...And besides,even if there wasn't some big crime wave in San Francisco in the 70s,that doesn't mean there can't be in San Fierro.GTA isn't really historically accurate,there were no gangbangers breaking into military bases in early 90s,mobsters blowing up a whole neighborhood in late 90s,or biker gangs breaking into prisons in late 2000s.R* can just take some gangs and events from real life and upgrade the violence to make a game.

Honestly,I'd be happy with almost any location,as long as it's in the 70s.That decade would be awesome for a GTA game,the cars were awesome (classic muscle cars, classic sports cars and super cars, big American sedans, early Japanese cars on American market...), the bikes too (classic Harleys, old school choppers, first Japanese crotch rockets, maybe some cafe racers...), the music was cool as well (classic rock, heavy metal, classic pop, early hip hop...).I'd be much more happy with a past setting than present,especially since there's not much new to show since 2013,there's still hipsters, reality shows, liberals vs conservatives, celebrities and many other stuff around.

Official General

@ GTA Biker

Nah, sorry I'm just not attracted to the idea of GTA in the 1970s. Having been treated to amenities of modern life in IV and V with HD console tech, I'm just really not excited by the prospect of driving ancient-looking cars, no mobile phone, no Internet, old weapons, and past popular cultural trends. Like I've said already, the past is the past, keep it modern day. I'd love to see San Fierro again, just not in the 1970s. SF looks great in WD2, I really wished we had that in V. But once again, no modern day is where it needs to stay.

Edited by Official General

evd

the worst thing here is that the maps or too detailed to have 2 time variants, which would connect EPISODES from GTA world (single player stories) with Multiplayer mode which have place in modern day.

it could satisfy both sides.

Jezus Holy Christ

Rockstar was kinda building its own "Alternate History" with 3D universe games. But it seems like they've gave it up.

When I browsed LCPD database in IV I had hopes for a game set in 70s LC. But they gave 2 DLCs and even a portable game, all of which were set in modern day.

The most popular GTA games are still the ones set in past: One in 1990s California and one in 80s Miami.

Modern-day supporters won't believe, but crime existed before 2008 too :lol:

Damn, the most dangerous and the most discussed crime today, is Terrorism, which is in no way connected to gang/mafia wars in IV or the grand heist in V. So should they make a GTA game about terrorism? Nope. That's the case with past years, too.

The world never saw Mr. Niko Bellic at New York City, in 2008.

They look at the possibilities, and work on one of them. Seventies have a lot of potential. Take the SF's Asian gang wars and the bay area's drug trade and exaggerate it; there you go, a unique storyline is ready.

evd

so why cant they come up with fictional stories for 2016? there is a tone of awesome music, which probably not many know, since everybody masturbates to vc's RADIO hits (inB4 - many of people here are usually about "awesome" soundtrack as a major aspect of the game, so here you have a clear statement, that good music is always around the world, but not necessarily around You)

> every VC song :) Edited by evd

1970s. Great music, cool cars, lots of interesting stuff happening around the world to parody, and drugs and crime were entering a new era. f*ck the 80s and 90s.

The 1970s would be the most boring era of real life American organised crime to portray in my opinion. Not in the sense of research or reading out of interest, but in the sense of it being used as a setting and era for GTA. I just don't think it was explosive or thrilling enough as an era of gangs and organised crime to be best placed within a game like GTA grounded in realism.

The 1980s and 1990s would be a much better better past eras of gangs and organised crime to portray because they contain far more action and hugely dramatic events within that world in real life - however we've already had VC and SA, two GTAs so hugely successful that there legacies still overshadow their successors. The 1960s and the classic gangster/Prohibition era of the 1920s/1930s were already well-covered by the Mafia series.

That's another important reason why I say future GTAs should just stick to modern day.

GTA is not so much about organized crime, as it is about crime with the backdrop of society anyway, not since the 3D era. Taxi Driver and Heavy Traffic were released then. Two fantastic films at least half-focused on the NYC underworld, which was at its darkest in the 1970s.

Also punk rock was just getting started, so they could probably do something with that??

(Just realized that was on page one, oops! Still an okay defense of my second choice of decade.)

I'd most like to see a GTA set in the future. They could go way far out with mocking society, since it's an accelerated society that doesn't exist yet.

Edited by 3223

Official General

Rockstar was kinda building its own "Alternate History" with 3D universe games. But it seems like they've gave it up.

When I browsed LCPD database in IV I had hopes for a game set in 70s LC. But they gave 2 DLCs and even a portable game, all of which were set in modern day.

The most popular GTA games are still the ones set in past: One in 1990s California and one in 80s Miami.

Modern-day supporters won't believe, but crime existed before 2008 too :lol:

Damn, the most dangerous and the most discussed crime today, is Terrorism, which is in no way connected to gang/mafia wars in IV or the grand heist in V. So should they make a GTA game about terrorism? Nope. That's the case with past years, too.

The world never saw Mr. Niko Bellic at New York City, in 2008.

They look at the possibilities, and work on one of them. Seventies have a lot of potential. Take the SF's Asian gang wars and the bay area's drug trade and exaggerate it; there you go, a unique storyline is ready.

My point is that the past was done in GTA before with VC and SA, it was done excellently, and it should be left at that. No Rockstar didn't give anything up in its alternate history of GTA, it's clear that they decided the best crime eras of the past had been covered already by VC, SA, and LCS. There was just no point in going back to the past when there was nothing else to cover. Don't you think Rockstar would have made a 1970s SF based GTA if they felt it warranted it ? Of course they would have. But they didn't and they didn't for a reason - there was nothing hugely significant about the SF criminal underworld during the 1970s, and that is why Rockstar did not make a GTA set in that location and of that era. I get you'd have loved it, but to Rockstar it was not an attractive idea with regards to its thematic content relating to the criminal underworld.

I have no issue with an SF extension as long as it's set in modern day, that I've stated already.

Zello

But what else is left to cover in the present? R* already did that twice in V and IV and if you count EFLC plus CTW that's 5 games back to back set in modern day and they've covered just about everything that can be covered in the present day social media, reality TV, first person shooters, yoga, terrorism and too many unfunny jokes.

It's time to go back to the past

Edited by Zello

Official General

But what else is left to cover in the present? R* already did that twice in V and IV and if you count EFLC plus CTW that's 5 games back to back set in modern day and they've covered just about everything that can be covered in the present day social media, reality TV, first person shooters, yoga, terrorism and too many unfunny jokes.

Well there is nothing to go back to in the past. At least in the present we have modern tech gadgets to use and make the game more fun and sophisticated. And most people who play GTA relate to modern times anyway. Edited by Official General

Zello

You hardly use those modern tech gadgets that much in IV or V you only used the internet for a couple missions and if you wanted Niko to pick up some women, in V you just use it to buy cars and planes, cellphones you only used to either hang out with friends or listen to conversations or start a mission.

I don't see how that makes the game more fun

Edited by Zello

GTAVGG

Although I agree with what you are saying, remember that the game isn't coming out tomorrow or even in the next year most likely. So the present now isn't going to be the same present in the game, if it is going to be set in the present anyways. It's going to be the present in the future. If that makes sense. So there will possibly be quite a bit of new things to cover. One of which will most likely be this wacky election.

Official General

You hardly use those modern tech gadgets that much in IV or V you only used the internet for a couple missions and if you wanted Niko to pick up some women, in V you just use it to buy cars and planes, cellphones you only used to either hang out with friends or listen to conversations or start a mission.

For me it adds more depth to interactivity within the game. And many others I assume. Sorry I'm just not sold on the idea of the 1970s. And what about cars ? Driving those wide, huge square cars like how Cadillacs looked back then ? Going back to that after driving slick, sweet looking modern day cars in V ? Just no. Edited by Official General

Zello

For me it adds more depth to interactivity within the game. And many others I assume. Sorry I'm just not sold on the idea of the 1970s. And what about cars ? Driving those wide, huge square cars like how Cadillacs looked back then ? Going back to that after driving slick, sweet looking modern day cars in V ? Just no.

You want more depth and interactivity? you can still have that without modern technology I've probably said this before and so have many others but In a game set in the past you want a car? Go to the car dealership ask for a test drive then steal it guess what now you have a free car.

Check the newspaper out read the classifieds you might meet some interesting people maybe a crazy psycho chick looking for love, or stumble upon some shady people running a "used" car dealership and need some help.

Cars? Well everybody has different tastes in cars but look at the difference from VC to SA you went from having those flashy 80's cars to driving some beat up gang cars (well later on in SA you get access to better ones but you get the point.)

Edited by Zello

PhillBellic

Personally, I'd be fine without the Internet in the Next Game. I barely used it in IV/EFLC, or V. When I used it, it was only during required Missions.

Jezus Holy Christ

Even the Internet we have in HD universe isn't as interactive as it is in real life, so I'd be happy with a newspaper (San Fierro Chronicles, eh?).

I think some of you guys are underestimating the past. Rockstar has done modern day so deep they've come to things like yoga.

And if it's about the trivia and side things, you should know that we're really fed up with election jokes. I already hate Trump and Hillary enough for a life.

I've never lived in the 90s but I love that era's hip-hop, I've never lived in 80s but I know some of the best music from that era. When it comes to 70s, you probably don't know what you're talking about or what to expect. It has a lot of potential.

I know this is a hate-generating example to say, but don't you see the Assassin's Creed? The most loved title of that franchise go back to the time that even newspapers didn't exist lmao

So how can 1970s be uninteresting? Imagine yourself in an old school Cadillac, while the radio is playing you some Elvis, and you arrive at Chinatown, SF, just to go inside the Golden Dragon.

This can't be anything far from exciting, thrilling or amazing. It just depends on how Rockstar does it. They could do it on Renderware back in 2002, so it's absolutely possible on RAGE in "2018/2020 maybe".

Official General

Even the Internet we have in HD universe isn't as interactive as it is in real life, so I'd be happy with a newspaper (San Fierro Chronicles, eh?).

I think some of you guys are underestimating the past. Rockstar has done modern day so deep they've come to things like yoga.

And if it's about the trivia and side things, you should know that we're really fed up with election jokes. I already hate Trump and Hillary enough for a life.

I've never lived in the 90s but I love that era's hip-hop, I've never lived in 80s but I know some of the best music from that era. When it comes to 70s, you probably don't know what you're talking about or what to expect. It has a lot of potential.

I know this is a hate-generating example to say, but don't you see the Assassin's Creed? The most loved title of that franchise go back to the time that even newspapers didn't exist lmao

So how can 1970s be uninteresting? Imagine yourself in an old school Cadillac, while the radio is playing you some Elvis, and you arrive at Chinatown, SF, just to go inside the Golden Dragon.

This can't be anything far from exciting, thrilling or amazing. It just depends on how Rockstar does it. They could do it on Renderware back in 2002, so it's absolutely possible on RAGE in "2018/2020 maybe".

Lol ha ha you bring up Assassins Creed to support your points. That's the worst example you could have chosen. One of the most overhyped, boringly repetitive franchises in the HD era of gaming.

You heard me the first time, I find it uninteresting. That Cadillac, Elvis scenario you just described ? Not exciting in the slightest, no disrespect but it just sounds like a load of boring bullsh*t to me.

Jezus Holy Christ

-

overhyped, boringly repetitive

boring bullsh*t

Yea I heard you the first time but you just talk, rather than listening or thinking.

I agree with what you say about AC since AC III but the earlier entries were even historically correct to some extent and the gameplay had something new to say. It was more than what I'd expect from a sh*tty company like Ubisoft.

BTW, I told you before. You don't even know what it's gonna be. You just repeat the same sentence again and again and again to seem knowledgeable and sh*t. Well, then GTA:O is what you get. The most modern thing in GTA games to satisfy insecure kids with unlimited money. How cool it is!

RogerWho

Yea I heard you the first time but you just talk, rather than listening or thinking.

Well summed up. Some people are so afraid of losing their smartphones they even attack and dismiss everything that suggests they might lose them in the game.

evd

how is it that everybody here wants old muscle cars, but nobody drives them in Online?

If the next game gets Online component, it will be almost 100% sure, that only a 1% of players will drive muscle cars, and rest will go for supercars like Corvette, Testarossa, etc.

RogerWho

I drive muscle cars in online when I'm in a lobby alone. As soon as I get in a public lobby, I have to get in an Insurgent to have protection against idiots or a Bati to get the f*ck away from them quickly.

Official General

Well summed up. Some people are so afraid of losing their smartphones they even attack and dismiss everything that suggests they might lose them in the game.

It's not just about smartphones and gadgets. If you read my past comments you would see that, but you clearly chose not to.

Anyway I've said enough on the matter. My view has been expressed already.

The Deadite

Only if we visit new city we didn't or is in a DLC, i honestly would love a 70's San Fierro or a 80's Las Venturas, but a Vice City set in the 80's or 90's would be unnecesarily sucky and repetitive.

...honestly I'd really love it if the next GTA was either set in the future or indeed in the 70's even if for no other reason than to see the tears of 10-year olds who can't use their virtual smartphone and plastic wonder supercars, or the hipsters who'd cry "it's like COD". That alone would be worth it even if the game turned out bad.

And I still hope for a GTA Berlin 1983 or GTA New Delhi 1955. Just imagining those confused stares cracks me up. There would be so much flame the internet would literally be set on fire.

There's so many reasons why i hate this post is not even fun to make a list, just shut up already with that future bullsh*t and knock it off with your annoying posts made on a high horse.

slimeball supreme

What did Yugoslav Wars have to do with organized crime in New York?

It's kinda funny you ask, but quite a lot actually.

Any war can create huge shockwaves in the world's economy, and they have in the past. European conflicts in the late 19th and early 20th century created the American Mafia, the Cold War allowed the Russian Mafia to expand worldwide, and the Yugoslav Wars actually created some of the most ambitious crime groups of the modern day, especially in New York.

Groups like the Serbian and Albanian Mobs were able to expand greatly in the following years of the war, and these groups especially gained a foothold in New York. Not only this, but other crime groups also gained a lot of foothold thanks to Yugoslav immigrants - the most notable example being Boško Radonjić, leader of the Irish-American Westies gang (which also served as inspiration for the McReary Family along with other Irish mobs.)

I'm not saying I agree with OG's "the 70's suck" evaluation (hell a HD LC in the late 90's or Chicago/other Midwestern cities in the early 2000's would be like sex for me) but if you're gonna say something like this at least put in some research.

Edited by Mr. Fartenhate

Jezus Holy Christ

What did Yugoslav Wars have to do with organized crime in New York?

It's kinda funny you ask, but quite a lot actually.

Any war can create huge shockwaves in the world's economy, and they have in the past. European conflicts in the late 19th and early 20th century created the American Mafia, the Cold War allowed the Russian Mafia to expand worldwide, and the Yugoslav Wars actually created some of the most ambitious crime groups of the modern day, especially in New York.

Groups like the Serbian and Albanian Mobs were able to expand greatly in the following years of the war, and these groups especially gained a foothold in New York. Not only this, but other crime groups also gained a lot of foothold thanks to Yugoslav immigrants - the most notable example being Boško Radonjić, leader of the Irish-American Westies gang (which also served as inspiration for the McReary Family along with other Irish mobs.)

Did you read the post I had replied to?

Official General: Hippies ? What's so great about them that I'd wanna badly see them in GTA ? Long haired people with flower power dress sense that smoke weed, is it supposed to add more coolness to the game?

My point in saying that, was showing that we can't ignore everything for sake of our own opinion.

You can see that I later said:

what on the earth was 80's Miami cool for? Did those pink-and-blue clothes add anything to the game? Did those booty-shaking girls in Vice Beach add anything to the game? Of course they did. It's called a theme.

I have done research and I think San Francisco is a great setting especially for a period piece set in 70s. I've talked about it and expressed my reasons enough I guess. I think the number 1970 scares people that are used to modern-day settings, but I won't start flame wars on others for their opinion (which is actually the reason of this page-long discussion about 70s SF).

Good luck with your opinions and interests, everybody. :p

Edited by Jezus Holy Christ

RogerWho

// Actually never mind, I'm not gonna pour more fuel into this stupid flamewar against everything new.

Edited by RogerWho

The Deadite

// Actually never mind, I'm not gonna pour more fuel into this stupid flamewar against the horrible way in which i post.

FFY

slimeball supreme

Did you read the post I had replied to?

Official General: Hippies ? What's so great about them that I'd wanna badly see them in GTA ? Long haired people with flower power dress sense that smoke weed, is it supposed to add more coolness to the game?

My point in saying that, was showing that we can't ignore everything for sake of our own opinion.

You can see that I later said:

what on the earth was 80's Miami cool for? Did those pink-and-blue clothes add anything to the game? Did those booty-shaking girls in Vice Beach add anything to the game? Of course they did. It's called a theme.

I did read/mostly agree with your post, it's just I didn't get this impression from how you said 'what did the Yugoslav War have to do with gangsters in NY?'. So really I just pointed out why it was so important.

Like I said, I don't agree with OG's opinion here. But I also didn't agree with how you presented your comment, so sorry. :)

.Smaher.

Modern, please. The past is the past, and some of the best ideas for the past have already been done with GTA. And I definitely wouldn't want them basically rehashing old ideas of making VC in the 80s.

And with the modern stuff, things will easily keep evolving, and there'll be new topics to cover.

Lies. I use the phones all the time and modern weapons all the time.

It's not like we use modern day technology much in GTA it won't be missed.

It's not like we use modern day technology much in GTA it won't be missed.

Lies. I use the phones all the time and modern weapons in GTA all the time.

Edited by .Smaher.

evd

Only if we visit new city we didn't or is in a DLC, i honestly would love a 70's San Fierro or a 80's Las Venturas, but a Vice City set in the 80's or 90's would be unnecesarily sucky and repetitive.

...honestly I'd really love it if the next GTA was either set in the future or indeed in the 70's even if for no other reason than to see the tears of 10-year olds who can't use their virtual smartphone and plastic wonder supercars, or the hipsters who'd cry "it's like COD". That alone would be worth it even if the game turned out bad.

And I still hope for a GTA Berlin 1983 or GTA New Delhi 1955. Just imagining those confused stares cracks me up. There would be so much flame the internet would literally be set on fire.

There's so many reasons why i hate this post is not even fun to make a list, just shut up already with that future bullsh*t and knock it off with your annoying posts made on a high horse.

spit them out finally.

or "just shut up already".

what a douche.

jpm1

glad majority agrees with me. when i play a game i love to feel like if i was irl. i love games where i am in a realistic environment