1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

thafablifee46

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

What era should the next game be set in?  

817 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

Official General

What can they do with modern day crime though? R* could explore the Mexican cartels but for it to work you'd have to set it in a Mexican border town but I don't see it happening because people only seem to want the same cities LC,VC, and LS over and over again with no new locations or they could try Los Santos again. They tried to do it in V but it sucked.

The Mafia is dead and not relevant anymore

Gangbanging is pretty much over unless it's in Chicago and even then you won't have much of a story. Modern day chicago is just random young people in gangs shooting each other for no reason.

What's left hacking? Watch dogs is pretty much handling that R* could do it but it wouldn't feel like GTA though. Another story focusing on being the government's bitch again? No thanks.

I hate to say it, but you speak a lot of the truth here.

The Mafia are still around and they wield some kind of power, but you're right, they are no longer of any major significance in American organised crime, well not like they used to be. V was perfectly placed to host a great Mexican drug cartel theme, but amazingly Rockstar went against that in favour of story revolving around being the b*tchboys of corrupt Federal agents. Chicago would definitely be suited to a new gangbangin' theme in GTA, but I'll have to admit that a lot of that Chi-town gang stuff is a bunch of kids just killing each other over stupid sh*t. However a Chicago setting could work if it's anything inspired by The Wire, but that's highly unlikely, if Rockstar's bullsh*t writing and efforts in V's story is anything to go by.

Hacking ? Man, f*ck that tedious sh*t, this is GTA, about hands-on crime, not causing havoce bashing buttons and hiding behind screens. Watch Dogs looked and felt boring, that hacking stuff ain't for me.

I think modern day Miami still has a lot to offer, especially to do with crime. The ultra-violent 1980s era of Miami's Cocaine Cowboys is long gone, but make no mistake, Miami still has a huge narcotics trade and heavy presence of street gangs, organised crime and drug cartels. Many people just don't realise how dangerous, wild, and violent a place modern day Miami still is in many of its districts, and shootings occur almost everyday in these places.

Edited by Official General

Zello

I think modern day Miami still has a lot to offer, especially to do with crime. Just because the the ultra-violent 1980s era of the Cocaine Cowboys in Miami is long gone, make no mistake, Miami still has a huge narcotics trade and heavy presence of street gangs, organised crime and drug cartels. Many people still dig realise just how dangerous and violent a place Miami still is.

I guess I can see modern day Miami working with the city attracting a lot of people from the Caribbean and Latin America lots of things going in and out of there the nightlife, drug lords, and the street gangs there could make a good setting for a game. I'm still a bit biased though and prefer a game set in the past :D

Edited by Zello

Majestic81

I really like modern times. There are too many games and movies about old times. Its everywhere. I like to see Rockstar's version of the modern times.

Keep moving forward. The 90s, 80s, 70s themes and even before that time period have been done to death.

Smoov_Operator

a 50's gta... yea right...

gangs would include the civil rights activists vs KKK members.

They just need to keep it modern but be creative on their own. Using a city model is fine, but they don't need to reference current events. It would be nice to see something new. Either way, they have a very creative team and I'm sure I will like it. I did not like IV very much, but I do remember it being GTA ;) That is enough for me.

Edited by Smoov_Operator

GTA-Biker

a 50's gta... yea right...

gangs would include the civil rights activists vs KKK members.

There were some gangs back in the 50s,like Italian and Irish mafia, early biker gangs (Hells Angels formed in late 40s, Outlaws in mid 30s...), greaser gangs, some Latino street gangs (Latin Kings, White Fence, 38th Street Gang...) and maybe some others.However,Mafia 2 already covered 50s setting,and Mafia 3 will cover 60s,so I think the earliest GTA should go to the past is the 70s setting.

Edited by GTA-Biker

Sweet Bellic

I think GTA should go next to 80s because GTA Vice City had the best atmosphere.

Arran B

'80s all the way.

PacketOverload_x64bit

80's all the way!

Modern times? Doesn't really sound all that great. Even IV had a more eighties or nineties tone to it. If modern day is a must, I'd probably buy into a Miami or beach-side city if it was neon-esque and like a second coming of Scarface.

Cocktails_Neon_Sign_on_White_Matte.pngpurple-down-arrow.png088.pngtumblr_n53t43XbJy1ttlc0qo1_500.png

Edited by PacketOverload

eCola

Anywhere during any period in the 1990's would turn out great. It could create a dark atmosphere.

Another reason it can be good would be less focus on social media. There were two things that were in its early days throughout the 90's: mobile phones and the Internet. All the protagonist needs for terms of communication is an old cellphone or a pager. :santa:

RogerWho

Even though I was originally against it, reading this thread now, you guys sold me on the 70's :lol: Especially the Rubble Kings trailer. I need to hunt that thing down.

One thing I always loved about the USA culture are the muscle cars and chopper bikes and these just get better the further back we go. Those rocket ships and carbon-plastic wonders can go screw themselves. And more propeller planes! I'm a sucker for propeller planes. Jets are boring. Also, hopefully no hypersensitive cops and ultra-accurate NOOSE. Instead, detectives in suits with revolvers :D

More importantly than the actual decade, I do think they need to go back into the past just for the principle of it. After 2 contemporary games (or in fact 6, if you also count TLAD, TBOGT, CW and GTAO), if they make another one in a row, it probably means they'll just not interested in going back again. Which would be a real shame. Only a couple of games in and the current era already feels done to death.

And, while I think a GTA-like game would work completely fine in the future / sci-fi setting, it does require a different kind of writing/thinking than what R* tends to do, so the past makes the most sense.

Also I'd be fine with setting outside of the US. Latin America seems like a much better fit for GTA than it was for Max Payne. They should've done it the other way around.

Thegrandtheftmaster

Even though I was originally against it, reading this thread now, you guys sold me on the 70's :lol: Especially the Rubble Kings trailer. I need to hunt that thing down.

One thing I always loved about the USA culture are the muscle cars and chopper bikes and these just get better the further back we go. Those rocket ships and carbon-plastic wonders can go screw themselves. And more propeller planes! I'm a sucker for propeller planes. Jets are boring. Also, hopefully no hypersensitive cops and ultra-accurate NOOSE. Instead, detectives in suits with revolvers :D

More importantly than the actual decade, I do think they need to go back into the past just for the principle of it. After 2 contemporary games (or in fact 6, if you also count TLAD, TBOGT, CW and GTAO), if they make another one in a row, it probably means they'll just not interested in going back again. Which would be a real shame. Only a couple of games in and the current era already feels done to death.

And, while I think a GTA-like game would work completely fine in the future / sci-fi setting, it does require a different kind of writing/thinking than what R* tends to do, so the past makes the most sense.

Also I'd be fine with setting outside of the US. Latin America seems like a much better fit for GTA than it was for Max Payne. They should've done it the other way around.

Eh they could just make a Gta 5 stories or Gta 4 stories that is set in the 80's in miami. Or maybe san francisco in the 70's. What we could have is a gta stories that explains events in gta 5 and gta 4. The stories could be set in the 80's or 70's and it is set in a different city then liberty city or los santos. These stories can explain how gangs formed in gta 4 and gta 5. It could explain a lot of stuff in gta 5 or gta 4. The gta stories could still the events of gta 5 or gta 4 if the stories is set in a different time period and city.

RogerWho

Yea it can be a spinoff, whatever. Although I kinda doubt that would be the case - going back 40 years would require to redo almost everything, no to mention a completely another city. Unless they want to make separate, simplistic GTA games for smartphones, it seems the 'stories' are over since making games in this fidelity takes years.

Point is, a GTA set in the past should happen again. The GTA games always used to be set in various periods; to ditch all that and just go for the low-hanging fruit of current day parody would be a shame and abandonment of this legacy. It's really silly to say that 80's and 90's were already done and there's nothing else to say about that. Well what else is there to say about 2010's? Is R* now redoing the work on the next GTA to include a Pokemon Go parody?

As for the in-game tech, what exactly does that bring to the game? Not much. The only truly useful thing is being on call all the time. But that's not really very useful either: friends and girlfriends calling all the time was annoying and so is the game forcefully starting a mission with a phone call while I'm just about to save and quit.

And those couple of times where the story would really ask for someone needing to reach the protag immediately, well you can always have another character walking/driving up to the protag, going "Man, so glad I found you, I was looking all over town for you! This is important!" See? Easy.

Also, for those people who think GTA is inherently about 'satire of modern American culture' I can only say... GTA London 1961, GTA London 1969.

evd

Also, for those people who think GTA is inherently about 'satire of modern American culture' I can only say... GTA London 1961, GTA London 1969.

for me those people cant enjoy anything that isnt IN their country.

its weird that they want to stick to the US, yet being a constant joke subject.

modern London would be fresh and neat.

Edited by evd

RogerWho

^ I like the drunken ladies in that video.

Anyway, considering the comments how 'barely anyone' speaks Spanish that have appeared in threads about the radio, I'm not sure some people are even aware there's a world outside the US :p

Honestly I'd really love it if the next GTA was either set in the future or indeed in the 70's even if for no other reason than to see the tears of 10-year olds who can't use their virtual smartphone and plastic wonder supercars, or the hipsters who'd cry "it's like COD". That alone would be worth it even if the game turned out bad.

And I still hope for a GTA Berlin 1983 or GTA New Delhi 1955. Just imagining those confused stares cracks me up. There would be so much flame the internet would literally be set on fire.

evd

so here you have another example, how it could work in the UK

damn this heavy bass, pure european style.

RogerWho

Here's the best reason to set a game in the UK. You could have a came of this guy:

Edit: forget that. I just saw this and it's epic:

And it's not even Vice City. I've been saying for some time that modern VC makes little sense because it's so similar to LS (in the V rendition). But even tho I'm not as hang up on the 80's as some old timers here, I gotta admit, this is cool.

If R* were smart, they'd make an episodes/mission pack in LS a few decades prior. They wouldn't even need to change the map that much, I doubt that Mount Chilliad moved more than half a mile during that time.

Edited by RogerWho

Shadow__Hazard

I find modern settings to be quite boring. For most the stuff portrayed in these games, I can just go outside or turn on the news to experience it.

I only like cars from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. So I want to see a new GTA set in the 70's. And simpler crime makes for a more fun and satisfying game - no elaborate heist bullsh*t, no high tech security crap to get through just to make a quick buck. I want to play a GTA game set in a world where I can rob a store, hijack a truck and sell off the cargo, sell stolen cars, hold up a bank truck, etc. You simply can't have that in a modern-setting game, proper money-making crime is becoming too unbelievable in these games.

Please, no more boring contemporary crap. With GTA V being so modern, unless we will get yet another stale modern setting we have nowhere to go but back in time, otherwise I bet the next GTA will be some rubbish set in the future.

At least I'll finally get to play a game like GTA but set around my favourite era with Mafia 3. But I'm not looking forward to another GTA at all due to the chance of another damn modern setting.

cryptorelic

I would live the location Miami in the 70s / 80s.

Pretty much like Vice City did it, amazing music, amazing atmosphere.

Neon_Dreaming

I'd like to see a period piece, at the moment the 80's would be my preferred time, I think the advantage of having a game set in the past is that you can incorparate all the cool aspects of the time, Vice City is a great example of this, it feels authentic, the best of the 80's music was cherrypicked for the game, it brought in the trends of the time, Vice City itself had a great atmosphere, it just worked.

In the present things are always changing, everything is in a state of flux, it's hard to create a game which captures the atmosphere, culture and trends of a place which is constantly changing and evolving, for a game set in the past this is no problem, you can look back and find what made the time and the place tick, what gave it it's unique feel, Los Santos in Gta San Andreas and Vice City had an undeniable sense of place, you were there in their heyday.

Obviously for a game to be good it needs more than a great, well researched setting, it needs a great story, memorable characters, quality game mechanics and fun and memorable missions. I just think a Gta set in the past would be a great palette cleanser, the first HD Gta which is a period piece, it could be epic.

The last time Rockstar went back to the past Red Dead Redemption happened, hopefully they can pull it out of the bag again, release another gem. I'd like to see a Gta set in the past, but present is ok too, overall I just hope it's good.

Edited by Neon_Dreaming

Official General

I would live the location Miami in the 70s / 80s.

Pretty much like Vice City did it, amazing music, amazing atmosphere.

Then just play Vice City again. No point in Rockstar making another GTA just to make the exact same thing again just to feed your appetite for nostalgia. Edited by Official General

Mister Pinkerton

Modern times because I live in modern times and I want to see more modernity. Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry, Saints Row isn't enough for me.. I need more modern games. I need only slight variations of modern cars between games and the latest fashionware and cool pop-music such as Fergie and Rhianna. I want to see modern cities in a modern light with slightly topical humour that goes quickly out of date. I want to use a lot of in-game time navigating mobile phones and laptops becuase I don't do enough of that in my modern life all ready.

Please no more 80's or 90's. They didn't even have Dubstep or YouTube back then. Gay.

Edited by Mister Pink

OfficialTwiggz

We don't need cell phones, computers, Internet access.

Set in the early 80's, growing up in the ghetto. Living your young teen years around the struggle that is known as home, you want out.

Tired of being treated poorly, your neighbor hooks you up with some deals. You make some connections, get a beeper and some money.

Next thing you know, it's a few years later (1983-84?) and you're making moves. Heading to payphones to set up deals and murdering anybody getting in the way. You're making a name for yourself. The police know you, but can't get anything to stick. Pay them off, and eliminate your enemies. You're seeing penthouses, hookers, blow, the whole underground scene is at your fingertips. Will you sell out or stay true to your home?

This....is Vice City: The Story of (enter protag name here)

Eh, I can dream right? I have this whole concept in my head but nobody to tell it to lol

Edited by OfficialTwiggz

Jezus Holy Christ

San Francisco has had some thrilling criminal activity in 70's, actually starting from mid-60's. They should really consider doing it. It's as good as 90's LA and 80's Miami, or even better.

ClaudeSpeed1911

You know what? Who cares if real life is different? Just do whatever, do VC and make it modern and add old school crime.

There is a reason GTA has different companies and brands so why not tweak every thing into their liking. I am sure we didn't have a couple of guys stealing gold from a bank in the middle of sunlight in 2013.

I would love for it to go back however I am also fine with a modern version of cocaine cowboys.

Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911

Official General

San Francisco has had some thrilling criminal activity in 70's, actually starting from mid-60's. They should really consider doing it. It's as good as 90's LA and 80's Miami, or even better.

You know something I'd like proof of this. I've heard a few people on here say this now, and as someone who has read a lot about American organised crime, I'm just not convinced that San Francisco had such a thriving criminal underworld scene in the 1970s that was well-known enough to rival those of other American cities that were actually well-known like 80s Miami or 90s LA. For one, SF had no real Mafia, and no Irish Mob, none of them operating there on any significant level. Black gangs were mainly big in nearby Oakland, not SF. The only crime group SF is well known for are the Triads, and even then their era was the 1980s and it was not highly publicised. I think guys like you watch too much of that 1970s American cop show called "The Streets Of San Francisco" and got too carried away.

You know what? Who cares if real life is different? Just do whatever, do VC and make it modern and add old school crime.

There is a reason GTA has different companies and brands so why not tweak every thing into their liking. I am sure we didn't have a couple of guys stealing gold from a bank in the middle of sunlight in 2013.

I would love for it to go back however I am also fine with a modern version of cocaine cowboys.

This indeed. People just don't understand this sometimes. In IV the Mafia were depicted as rival crime families in a mob war in 2008 - there has not been any of that mob war stuff in the NYC Mafia on such a scale since the early 1990s. But yet it was in IV. Edited by Official General

Jezus Holy Christ

^

http://www.timelines.ws/cities/SF_E_1970_1977.HTML

I'm not saying this is the most criminal activity possible for a city, but it's undeniable. Things like Zebra murders and the lie called Zodiac can't be denied. The terror attempt on President, and the assassin's escape.

Put these aside, and take a look at SF's cultural scene in those days: The San Francisco Sound, the drug trade, prostitution and hippies.

Just do some research and you'll see how great it is.

EDIT: I suggest you to search SF Gate for its articles about 70's, and read this (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_in_the_1970s) for the culture i talked about.

Edited by Jezus Holy Christ

Official General

^http://www.timelines.ws/cities/SF_E_1970_1977.HTML

I'm not saying this is the most criminal activity possible for a city, but it's undeniable. Things like Zebra murders and the lie called Zodiac can't be denied. The terror attempt on President, and the assassin's escape.

Put these aside, and take a look at SF's cultural scene in those days: The San Francisco Sound, the drug trade, prostitution and hippies.

Just do some research and you'll see how great it is.

EDIT: I suggest you to search SF Gate for its articles about 70's, and read this (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_in_the_1970s) for the culture i talked about.

* The Zodiac and Zebra murders ? That's some lone, pyschopathic serial killer sh*t, that's not the typical themes of crime that GTA revolves around. What the f*ck has that got do with organised crime and gangs ? Nothing. If you can't provide what's asked if you then it's best to be quiet and not make such ridiculous defences.

* Hippies ? What's so great about them that I'd wanna badly see them in GTA ? Long haired people with flower power dress sense that smoke weed, is it supposed to add more coolness to the game? Come on don't be silly, it's nothing special at all, especially with regards to GTA.

* Drugs and prostitution ? Lol you're acting like SF is one of the few major American cities to have this stuff.

Your clutching at straws just like I thought.

American Venom

I want it to stay modern. Screw the past.

Jezus Holy Christ
The Zodiac and Zebra murders

Hippies

Drugs and prostitution

About your bitching regarding Zodiac and Zebra cases: What the f*ck did Area 51 have to do with organized crime? What did jetpacks have to do with organized crime? What did Yugoslav Wars have to do with organized crime in New York?

About hippies: Can you read? I said there's a cool vibe in 70's SF, there's hippies and sh*t. There's crazy sh*t there. Things that may seem insane in other settings. For instance, what on the earth was 80's Miami cool for? Did those pink-and-blue clothes add anything to the game? Did those booty-shaking girls in Vice Beach add anything to the game? Of course they did. It's called a theme.

and about drugs and prostitution: I know that SF is not the only city to have that; I'm saying that SF has everything you'd expect to see in a GTA game, understood? You may like Chitown, or hell, New York again or other major cities. That's not stopping SF from being a good GTA setting. It's a beautiful location which has had its own crime waves in 70s.

How can you be so ignorant, seriously?

> that's not the typical themes of crime that GTA revolves around. Bullsh*t. Do you want to buy one game a million times? Plus I didn't say that we should have a Zebra murderer or the Zodiac as protagonist. I said that's the sh*t that can help making a storyline in GTA. That wouldn't be weirder than cannibals we met in 3D universe.

BTW, if you hate SF and the seventies so much, shut up and enjoy watching Franklin's dog f*cking a bitch or watching Michael's wife cheat on him. Oh, I had forgot CHEATING is the typical kind of crime one would expect to see in GTA. That's what modern day settings have given us: Cellphones and bullsh*t.

In that case, I prefer MURDER to family-time things in V or Niko's freak friends in IV.

Edited by Jezus Holy Christ

evd

BTW, if you hate SF and the seventies so much, shut up and enjoy watching Franklin's dog f*cking a bitch or watching Michael's wife cheat on him. Oh, I had forgot CHEATING is the typical kind of crime one would expect to see in GTA. That's what modern day settings have given us: Cellphones and bullsh*t.

How can you be so ignorant, seriously?

what cellphones?

Edited by evd