1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

thafablifee46

What era should the next game be set in?  

1,300 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future
  2. 2. What era do you think Rockstar will choose for their next game?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

Damien Scott
13 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

We're nearing on 8 years since GTA V released. Does the game make you feel like you were transported back to the early 2010s when you start it up? 

Not yet but it will become a ''period piece'' in a few years. GTA IV already is, playing it takes me back to mid to late 2000s with the internet cafes, old cellphones, big box analog TVs, post 9/11 paranoia, dating websites, etc. What's great about games set in present time is that they eventually become period pieces.

13 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

I'm not saying we need to "return to the good old days because it was so much better than now", I'm saying GTA works *much* better if it's a retrospective view instead of a contemporary one.

Let's agree to disagree then. The way I see it, after the 3D Era the GTA series became a satire of modern America and it should stay like this. Leave the past to the Mafia series IMO.

Edited by Damien Scott
  • Like 2
  • fir thi bairns 1
VercettiGuy
57 minutes ago, Damien Scott said:

Leave the past to the Mafia series IMO.

Which you can completely forget since Hangar 13 took over.

I wish we'd just get the announcement already, so this discussion can end. I feel like I'm tiping why I'd love a past setting at least once a week.

Ah, I'll probably continue doing it, lol.

• Like 1
Damien Scott
33 minutes ago, VercettiGuy said:

I wish we'd just get the announcement already, so this discussion can end.

Well, there's at least one thing we can agree on.

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 1
Ser_Salty
14 hours ago, Yinepi said:

Speaking of no imagination, oh look a guy whose second choice is the '80s.

I didn't say "omg 80s Miami drug smuggling", I mainly said 80s because that is what I think is most likely to actually happen. If it had to be 80s, I'd choose late 80s, east coast, maybe Philadelphia. I ain't too familiar with the areas history, but I think it might offer some nice aesthetics, story beats and atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

Not yet but it will become a ''period piece'' in a few years. GTA IV already is, playing it takes me back to mid to late 2000s with the internet cafes, old cellphones, big box analog TVs, post 9/11 paranoia, dating websites, etc. What's great about games set in present time is that they eventually become period pieces.

Let's agree to disagree then. The way I see it, after the 3D Era the GTA series became a satire of modern America and it should stay like this. Leave the past to the Mafia series IMO.

Yes, you are right about GTA 4. Personally I just think it's better to transport the player to someplace/sometime else. There's always going to be plenty of satire of current events and culture, but how often does any piece of media take a look back at things?

I think 80s/90s/2000s might be a bit too modern for Mafia. Maybe 80s, but only just about. I think the sweetspot for GTA is no more recent than 10 years ago and no older than 30-35 years ago. Gives it a nice range of nostalgia for it's audience and enough time passed to be able to be accurate in its satirization.

• Like 1
Zello
10 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

Leave the past to the Mafia series IMO.

I disagree with this statement. The Mafia franchise is limited to just exploring the Mafia and not other criminal groups. Because of its name you can't make a Mafia game about 70s Bikers and call it Mafia, you can't make a game about the gangs in the hood in the 90s and call it Mafia, you can't make a game about Mexican Cartels and call it Mafia. They tried to do something different with Mafia III and look how that turned out disappointing.

Letting only Mafia make games in the past would limit our options.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
  • fir thi bairns 1
RamsaySaint77

Vice City didn't have any mention or reference to crack, so hopefully a new gta set in the 80s comments on crack

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
GTA-Biker

I'd like to see a game set in the 70s,but I'd also be happy with the 80s, 90s, and even early-mid 2000s.

As for what R* will choose,I have no idea,there's probably an equal chance they'll pick the past and that they'll pick the present.

• Like 2
Black_Jesus

Wouldn't a modern GTA just be Covid-19 and it's restrictions?

A heist involving stealing vaccines.

Out pass 10 pm instant 2 starts.

Less pedestrians crowds.

Homelessness. 

Trailer trucks of dead people.

Funerals.

Etc.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 5
  • Bruh 1
RamsaySaint77

In terms of the 70s, they could either do the early 70s 70-73 or late 70s 77-79

Patrizio

We are long, long overdue a game based around Mexican cartels. Modern(ish) is probably what suits a game like that. Most other groups have had their day and would better suited to a past setting. I've said it a thousand times, but a game set in 2001 or 1998 (yes I know, III and LCS...) would be interesting as it now very much past. Where though I don't know.

• Like 2
GrudgefromSanAndreas
7 minutes ago, Patrizio said:

a game set in 2001 or 1998 (yes I know, III and LCS...) would be interesting as it now very much past. Where though I don't know.

Chicago? Detroit? also i think 2003 and 2005 would be interesting years

i want anything but LA/LS bc it's been overrepresented in media in general and i still believe modern Vice City setting could be inspired by the bad boys trilogy

Zello
4 hours ago, Patrizio said:

We are long, long overdue a game based around Mexican cartels. Modern(ish) is probably what suits a game like that. 

Phoenix, Dallas, or  Houston could work.

Edited by Zello
VercettiGuy

I was watching a video some days ago with some dude walking down Ocean Drive at night, lowriders passing by, when I suddenly thought "Well, maybe a modern setting won't be that bad after all".

But then I remembered that our phones will always ring, with (knowing Rockstar) no option to turn it off. Modern super weapons would be added, like in GTAO. God forbid a Juggernaut. Cars from GTA V returning. Cars I've been seeing for +/- 7 years. Since they always added newly released cars to Online, traffic would be pretty much the same. Ah, who am I kidding? Everything would feel pretty much the same. We'd be lucky if the game would feel different by being atmospheric (which V never was).

After being such a downer, let me add some more songs to our VI playlist:

This Is Not America - David Bowie

State of Shock - The Jacksons & Mick Jagger

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak

Seasons of Wither - Aerosmith (I think I'm totally wrong, but wasn't that song in EfLC?)

Dangerous Game - Tommy Shaw

Got My Mind Set On You - George Harrison

Nowhere Fast - Meat Loaf

Private Dancer - Tina Turner

Drive - The Cars

What Do You Do for Money Honey? - AC/DC

Listen to those and you'll want a past setting as well. Hopefully.

Edited by VercettiGuy
  • Like 1
Zello
13 minutes ago, VercettiGuy said:

I was watching a video some days ago with some dude walking down Ocean Drive at night, lowriders passing by, when I suddenly thought "Well, maybe a modern setting won't be that bad after all".

But then I remembered that our phones will always ring, with (knowing Rockstar) no option to turn it off. Modern super weapons would be added, like in GTAO. God forbid a Juggernaut. Cars from GTA V returning. Cars I've been seeing for +/- 7 years. Since they always added newly released cars to Online, traffic would be pretty much the same. Ah, who am I kidding? Everything would feel pretty much the same. We'd be lucky if the game would feel different by being atmospheric (which V never was).

and the characters are going to be worse.  You thought the modern day commentary in V was bad? in modern day Miami it's all flash no substance a lot of people there just fake it til they make it.

Driving expensive flashy cars, buying designer clothing, while at the same struggling to pay bills. A lot of people there are superficial It will be much much worse.

Edited by Zello
MrBreak16

Why do people act like everything bad about GTA Online would be present in the story mode? There isn’t any flying cars or futuristic guns in the GTA V story mode? And also why do people act like the 1980s were like the prehistoric age with caveman's and stuff? People really complain about the dumbest sh*t when it comes to both of these time periods. No 1980s isn’t restrictive, life was pretty much the same as today except technology wasn’t as advanced, and no a present day setting isn’t just being on your phone 24/7 with futuristic sh*t. It’s really boring to see people bitching and moaning in petty arguments everyday, wether it’s here or on another website.

Anyways, now I am going to play bowling with Roman...

Edited by MrBreak16
  • Like 3
Damien Scott

People don't realize that a past setting won't allow Sam to have his friends and favorite DJs appear in the game. Let's be honest here, the chances of a past setting are pretty slim.

• KEKW 1
Kris194
5 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

People don't realize that a past setting won't allow Sam to have his friends and favorite DJs appear in the game.

This is probably most ridiculous argument I read here, ever.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
EliteGamer_6

Reporter: Sam, why did you decide to set the game in modern day America?

Sam: Because I love my best friends and want them to be in this game and listen to their music while getting high. 

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 4
VercettiGuy

None of the music that has been added to any of these new radio stations is actually worth a listen.

• Like 1
3Peat
16 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

Why do people act like everything bad about GTA Online would be present in the story mode? There isn’t any flying cars or futuristic guns in the GTA V story mode? And also why do people act like the 1980s were like the prehistoric age with caveman's and stuff? People really complain about the dumbest sh*t when it comes to both of these time periods. No 1980s isn’t restrictive, life was pretty much the same as today except technology wasn’t as advanced, and no a present day setting isn’t just being on your phone 24/7 with futuristic sh*t. It’s really boring to see people bitching and moaning in petty arguments everyday, wether it’s here or on another website.

Because it’s Rockstar and for 8 years people have been telling Rockstar that they like that kind of sh*t with their wallets.

Pete4000uk
16 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

It's the way we are today, polarised to one side or the other with little inbetween 

• Like 1
Damien Scott
1 hour ago, Kris194 said:

Lol Am I wrong though? Most of those DJs are in GTA Online because either Sam likes them or they're friends. Sam enjoys eletronic music and having his friends/favorite DJs in the game and this will most likely continue in the next installment. Needless to say, this is not the sole reason of setting the game in modern day. It's just something pointing towards a modern setting.

Here's Sam and Solomun:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gv4ZmHwu_/

Edited by Damien Scott
DexMacLeod
1 hour ago, Kris194 said:

Nah, potential nepotism is far less ridiculous than "if they don't go back in time it'll be just like the last game" as if radically changing the time period is the only way to make a story look and feel different.

Edited by DexMacLeod
  • Like 3
MaddenedGhost

They should keep it modern, period limitations is showing in RDR2/RDO, unless they are planning to go the crazy GTAO route with futuristic stuff.

GrudgefromSanAndreas
12 minutes ago, MaddenedGhost said:

They should keep it modern, period limitations is showing in RDR2/RDO, unless they are planning to go the crazy GTAO route with futuristic stuff.

Imagine a setting in near future like Watch Dogs Legion, i wonder if r* can pull it off better than distant future

EliteGamer_6
14 minutes ago, MaddenedGhost said:

You can't really compare the 1890s to 1980s as an argument that GTA VI in the past can't work. For online, they can include all the futuristic stuff since those originated from the 80s if they would really want to. 

Edited by EliteGamer_6
  • Like 3
testarossa 86
On 2/5/2021 at 6:59 AM, Patrizio said:

We are long, long overdue a game based around Mexican cartels. Modern(ish) is probably what suits a game like that. Most other groups have had their day and would better suited to a past setting. I've said it a thousand times, but a game set in 2001 or 1998 (yes I know, III and LCS...) would be interesting as it now very much past. Where though I don't know.

if we ever get a game based around Mexican cartels, I think it would have to be set in the early 90s and can show the start of the modern Mexican drug war.

although, I think it would be hard to pin point a good setting for a Mexican cartel themed game, and I think we are all sick of California at this point.

I am probably alone in this, but if we talk about a game set around 2001 or 1998, I would like to see it based around the Italian-American mob with influences such as the Sopranos.

no New York or Liberty City, just in a completely new city set in the state of New Jersey and maybe feature some parts of Philadelphia.

In my opinion, we haven't really had a good game based around the Italian mob since Mafia II, and that's just classic 1950s mob stuff.

• Like 1
MrBreak16
3 hours ago, MaddenedGhost said:

RDR2 is supposed to be like that, it takes place during the end of the wild west era...

• Like 2
Zello
37 minutes ago, testarossa 86 said:

I am probably alone in this, but if we talk about a game set around 2001 or 1998, I would like to see it based around the Italian-American mob with influences such as the Sopranos.

no New York or Liberty City, just in a completely new city set in the state of New Jersey and maybe feature some parts of Philadelphia.

In my opinion, we haven't really had a good game based around the Italian mob since Mafia II, and that's just classic 1950s mob stuff.

While I love The Sopranos and consider it one of the greatest shows of all time tied with The Wire. The late 90's early 00's are kind of the death of mob and would be boring they were all getting arrested or dealing with snitches in their ranks and that weakened them. There's hardly much action and by that point they were mostly running their legit rackets with a couple scuffles here and there.

I'd rather a Mafia focused game set in the 70s or 80s.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 6
testarossa 86
1 hour ago, Zello said:

While I love The Sopranos and consider it one of the greatest shows of all time tied with The Wire. The late 90's early 00's are kind of the death of mob and would be boring they were all getting arrested or dealing with snitches in their ranks and that weakened them. There's hardly much action and by that point they were mostly running their legit rackets with a couple scuffles here and there.

I'd rather a Mafia focused game set in the 70s or 80s.

I see, well, It's sort of like how RDR II is, the fall of outlaws upon a new age of progression.

whereas in the late 90s/early 00s, the mafia is at the end of the line, struggling to stay alive.

realistically, we can only hope to see the next installment of the Mafia series to be fully mob based.

they definitely can fill the hole for a lot of us who want mob-based games.

• Like 2