1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

thafablifee46

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

What era should the next game be set in?  

838 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

DexMacLeod
4 hours ago, Viceportcoke said:

What do you guys think of 2 eras? Is that possible? Story line starts in the 70s or 80s and finish off in modern times. Let's just say the protagonist does a 20+ prison sentence. Or the child of the protagonist finishes the story

2 hours ago, mde2 said:

I mean on paper its a good idea but if you're going to have a game like that more than likely its going to be quite linear. But given the mission design of RDR2 its expected so I mean why not. It's interesting, fresh and might actually churn out a plot that isn't the same bland revenge story or rise to power story we've been getting for the past 20 years.

Yeah, I think from a story standpoint it's a cool idea but it would work better in a more linear game than a big open world. They'd essentially have to make two maps populated with two sets of cars/pedestrians in order to really sell the effect. Personally, I'd rather see them spend the time working on one big, detailed world instead.

Maybe if they did the past sections via, flashback it could work a little better. Like, mde2 pointed out, Rockstar's missions are so relentlessly rigid and linear (seemingly getting worse with every release) that they could just make a handful of them that are set in the past and only have to redecorate a few streets and/or hallways.

Zello
On 4/13/2019 at 2:48 AM, DexMacLeod said:

Like what? I can't really think of any crimes in the last 70 or so years that don't exist anymore. I'd say there's a wider variety of criminal activity now than ever before.

Modern day is becoming harder and harder for criminals unless you're a hacker.

LeakyLine
Posted (edited)

A game set close to the millennium in the late 1990s would be very interesting. Mostly bias for a liquid DnB soundtrack like MSX. PFM, LTJ Bukem, I could go on... But digressing, pre-Y2K hysteria could make a good game. LCS' time period but in the HD universe could be cool.

In a similar vein, a game set in the early 2000s could be cool too. According to GTA V, 9/11 or something similar did happen, at least in the HD universe, so post-terrorism paranoia would make for a very unique atmosphere. Think GTA IV's, but ramped up to the max. Rockstar is no stranger to controversy and I think they'd do an amazing job. He'll, even set it in Liberty City. Heavy police presence would make the game quite different. 

A game set in the 50s would be cool too. Not enough open world games in the 50s. The soundtrack and slice of Americana could be done by Rockstar perfectly. The racism aspect could be an issue though, Rockstar tends to steer away from it whenever possible, which would be difficult in a game set in the 1950s.

Edited by LeakyLine

Len Lfc
On 4/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, Viceportcoke said:

What do you guys think of 2 eras? Is that possible? Story line starts in the 70s or 80s and finish off in modern times. Let's just say the protagonist does a 20+ prison sentence. Or the child of the protagonist finishes the story

Driver Parallel Lines did this on PS2. It was pretty cool. But I don't think it'd work in GTA. I'd rather have one open world to explore. Not 2 versions of it.

Equatecurl
Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2019 at 2:48 AM, DexMacLeod said:

Like what? I can't really think of any crimes in the last 70 or so years that don't exist anymore. I'd say there's a wider variety of criminal activity now than ever before.

Almost impossible to do physical crimes without a mask and gloves 24/7 because of cameras everywhere, if they really want to find you, they will, connecting the dots with cameras and forensics. 

Things are gonna have to turn into watch dogs. 

I wonder if the profiler in watch dogs is possible in real life that would be sick

Edited by Equatecurl

DexMacLeod
9 hours ago, Zello said:

1 hour ago, Equatecurl said:

Almost impossible to do physical crimes without a mask and gloves 24/7 because of cameras everywhere, if they really want to find you, they will, connecting the dots with cameras and forensics. 

I wonder if the profiler in watch dogs is possible in real life that would be sick

In the real world, sure, but we're talking about GTA. Police have always been considerably better at their jobs in real life vs video games and I don't see Rockstar being the ones to try and change that trend. It's not like they're suddenly gonna start factoring security cameras, fingerprints, and DNA into the wanted system just because that's the way real life works. Turning the series into a 1:1 simulation of how real life crime works would kill the entire feel of a GTA game regardless of when it's set. It just wouldn't be GTA anymore.

But even if they did go a little deeper with the wanted system and Police capability, murder clearance rate isn't all that high in America. Police solve maybe 40% of murders in the whole country. Chicago alone only solved about 18.5% of their murders last year and only 17% the year before.

Aquamaniac
On 4/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, Zello said:

Soon your own car might prevent you from speeding. I'd say Rockstar should make one current GTA, maybe set as late as 2025, featuring battery cars like Teslas and mocking them and all that environmental BS and then return to the past, needn't to be 100% authentic; or set the game in a less developed country.

evd

On 4/20/2019 at 4:07 AM, Equatecurl said:

not watch dogs.

HITMAN.

having whole open city and gameplay complexly focused on stealth would only make the whole game experience less predictable.

Zello

Gentrification is making modern day boring

TheSantader25

You can't even take a sh*t in modern times without a camera up your ass. So how are we supposed to commit crimes realistically without turning GTA into Watch Dogs? 

EVOLUT7ON
15 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

You can't even take a sh*t in modern times without a camera up your ass. So how are we supposed to commit crimes realistically without turning GTA into Watch Dogs? 

Lester 2.0 will make everything instead of us.

ivarblaauw
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

To be fair, I wouldn't mind GTA turning partially into watch dogs.

The free running aspect is cool as f*ck and the cities feel alive since every npc has a name, job and reacts to your actions. 

I hope R* takes some things from Watch Dogs for GTA VI. Including freerunning, interiors and the smooth transition between gunplay, driving and parkour. 

Also I f*cking loved the fact you can listen to your playlist or radio on your phone. 

Aquamaniac
23 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

The FEDs might cover you, already in IV and V you were more or less acting under the eyes of the law, which a lot of gamers here seem not to like, personally I'd favor the involvement of corrupt law enforcement over a too futuristic approach.

the consigliere

Late 90s early 2000s, this generations gamers can look back at this time with nostalgia, just before the internet blew up and smartphones were invented.

.Smaher.

Keep it modern. I don't see a big reason to go back in time other than pop culture references some part of the fanbase is gonna love.

MostWantedMVP

I'm hoping the rumor is true about it being set over multiple years like RDR2. That would be insane. Especially the 80s. Nothing can beat 80s Vice City.

Fetooh
20 hours ago, MostWantedMVP said:

I'm hoping the rumor is true about it being set over multiple years like RDR2. That would be insane. Especially the 80s. Nothing can beat 80s Vice City.

Yup , hope the leak is true especially the idea of travelling, multiple times period.... and going back to the old style is great , that mean a great story , gta 5 one was just decent.

MostWantedMVP

I think GTA 6 will be a soft reboot for the series. Taking the series back to it's roots like III and Vice City. And after RDR2 the level of realism is going to be like something we've never seen before.

Emmi
39 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

I think GTA 6 will be a soft reboot for the series. Taking the series back to it's roots like III and Vice City. And after RDR2 the level of realism is going to be like something we've never seen before.

Just imagine the generational leap in pretty much everything, especially coming from GTA V which was developed for last-gen hardware!!! (PS3, 360)

GTA 6 will have jumped an entire generation of platforms and R* will be able to use even more powerful hardware to create something really special and unlike anything we've seen before.

I have high hopes for GTA 6, may R* not let us down!

Also, I'm so so so hapy that it'll be a next-gen release and not being developed for this generation of consoles!

MostWantedMVP
31 minutes ago, Emmi said:

GTA 6 will have jumped an entire generation of platforms and R* will be able to use even more powerful hardware to create something really special and unlike anything we've seen before.

I think it will compare in how San Andreas compared to IV. IV was a huge leap forward and I feel GTA6 will be the next. Very exciting.

Emmi
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

I think it will compare in how San Andreas compared to IV. IV was a huge leap forward and I feel GTA6 will be the next. Very exciting.

Yes, I think so as well ... I know the game is likely not coming for another 4 years but I can't help but get excited more and more as the days pass. This will also be the longest period between mainline GTA releases as of yet. We can expect big things from this!

Edited by Emmi