1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

thafablifee46

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

What era should the next game be set in?  

838 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

GTA-Biker

Early 90's in Los Santos/all surrounding cities that we missed in GTAV should be featured in GTA7. That's where I was raised in that time period, so I am biased; but there would be so many great things they could satire from that location and time. Plus by then (approx 15 years from now), I imagine people will be nostalgic about the 90's and the beginning of the internet age.

GTA6 is still up in the air. Most people would likely like a new location with present time. Miami would be great. Vice City 2 situation, updated graphics.

OpG1dlp.jpgNot created by me, but I found it quite convincing.

No need to wait 15 years,many people are already nostalgic about the 90s (including myself,despite being able to remember only the last 3-4 years of the decade).From what I've seen,90s nostalgia has existed for years now.

Edited by GTA-Biker

DMThePro123

Modern times again. GTA IV was set in 2008 and GTA V was set in 2013. So, Rockstar is going to set GTA VI at modern times again.

SonOfLiberty

An idea for early 90s LC setting could be a theme based on the John Gotti era, but come on, don't you think most fans have had enough of being overdosed with Mafia stuff GTA now ?

Not me. I actually really missed the the mafia not being in GTA V. The mafia and GTA go together like hand in a glove. Sure they don't always have to go together, but it feels right when they do.

The mafia is the best theme IMO.

PhillBellic

An idea for early 90s LC setting could be a theme based on the John Gotti era, but come on, don't you think most fans have had enough of being overdosed with Mafia stuff GTA now ?

Not me. I actually really missed the the mafia not being in GTA V. The mafia and GTA go together like hand in a glove. Sure they don't always have to go together, but it feels right when they do.

Ehh? Personally, I feel the Mafia Theme has been done to death.

However, I'm all for another Game set in the '90's.

Mr_Human_Guy

I havent seen a gta game set in the 70s yet, honestly it would be nice to see a satirical look on life back then.

DeucesR

anywhere from 1990 to the future is fine by me. I have a feeling we'll see modern in the next one for sure

Official General

I love the Mafia being in GTA, look VC is my favourite in the series - however, I want to see the Mafia feature as the main theme in GTA only if it makes sense to do so, not just because they are popular.

SonOfLiberty

I love the Mafia being in GTA, look VC is my favourite in the series - however, I want to see the Mafia feature as the main theme in GTA only if it makes sense to do so, not just because they are popular.

But that's just the thing. The mafia theme has only ever featured when it's made sense so I don't really see how it's been "overexposed" or "done to death" like people put it. There's already been 3 GTA games to not feature it at all (VCS, CTW and GTA V).

The last time we played as a mafiaoso was in LCS and that was 11 years ago.

Official General

But that's just the thing. The mafia theme has only ever featured when it's made sense so I don't really see how it's been "overexposed" or "done to death" like people put it. There's already been 3 GTA games to not feature it at all (VCS, CTW and GTA V).

I'm not just talking about playing as a protagonist. I'm talking about the Mafia's involvement in the main GTA series as a whole. In III, VC, LCS, and most of IV, the Mafia were the main theme and at the forefront of those game's stories. Even the black gangsta-centred SA still had a significant chunk of Mafia involvement. That's a good 5 of the titles from III onward which is a lot. I think many GTA fans just want to the theme centred around more different theatres of organized crime. I cant say we had that with V, because for most part V was about that stupid corrupt federal agent bullsh*t.

SonOfLiberty

I'm not just talking about playing as a protagonist. I'm talking about the Mafia's involvement in the main GTA series as a whole. In III, VC, LCS, and most of IV, the Mafia were the main theme and at the forefront of those game's stories. Even the black gangsta-centred SA still had a significant chunk of Mafia involvement. That's a good 5 of the titles from III onward which is a lot. I think many GTA fans just want to the theme centred around more different theatres of organized crime. I cant say we had that with V, because for most part V was about that stupid corrupt federal agent bullsh*t.

I get what you're saying OG, but it still doesn't change the fact it's been a while since we've had a GTA with significant mafia involvement. If GTA games were annual releases and if every game had the mafia shoe horned in for the sake of it that I can understand however their placement has been only dependent on the time period/setting.

And I would much rather see the mafia again than that FIB crap we we forced fed in GTA V. In saying that I don't feel GTA VI HAS to include the mafia, but I would love it if it did. It only would if it fit the time period/setting like it always has.

Official General

I get what you're saying OG, but it still doesn't change the fact it's been a while since we've had a GTA with significant mafia involvement. If GTA games were annual releases and if every game had the mafia shoe horned in for the sake of it that I can understand however their placement has been only dependent on the time period/setting.

And I would much rather see the mafia again than that FIB crap we we forced fed in GTA V. In saying that I don't feel GTA VI HAS to include the mafia, but I would love it if it did. It only would if it fit the time period/setting like it always has.

I don't know man, IV+EFLC was made not that long ago by Rockstar's standards, as V is still the most recent GTA. So going by the GTA chronology, it does not feel like a long while without seeing any Mafia involvement, well in my opinion in anyway. You're getting the wrong idea, I'd always love and welcome the idea of significant Mafia involvement in GTA games - IF it makes sense according to reality. Assuming the next GTA game is set in Vice City, it just won't make sense, as modern-day Miami does not have much Mafia activity there these days (if any at all). A minimal role would be fine, but to see the Mafia play a big role in a new, modern VC just don't make sense, when most of the criminal underworld in modern-day Miami revolves around Latin American drug cartels/organised crime groups, and Black and Hispanic drug-dealing street gangs. You won't hear of any significant La Cosa Nostra involvement in reports of modern Miami underworld crime.

Edited by Official General

SonOfLiberty

I don't know man, IV+EFLC was made not that long ago by Rockstar's standards, as V is still the most recent GTA. So going by the GTA chronology, it does not feel like a long while without seeing any Mafia involvement, well in my opinion in anyway. You're getting the wrong idea, I'd always love and welcome the idea of significant Mafia involvement in GTA games - it makes sense according to reality. Assuming the next GTA game is set in Vice City, it just won't make sense, as modern-day Miami does not have much Mafia activity there these days. A minimal role would be fine, but to see the Mafia play a big role in a new, modern VC just don't make sense, when most of the criminal underworld in modern-day Miami revolves around Latin American drug cartels/organised crime groups, and Black and Hispanic drug-dealing street gangs. You won't hear of any significant La Cosa Nostra in reports of modern Miami underworld crime.

I agree if GTA VI is in modern Vice City it wouldn't make much sense if they played a significant role, but I still miss them. Would love a GTA game inspired by The Godfather that lets us run our own mafia family. Probably wont happen though. :(

Official General

I agree if GTA VI is in modern Vice City it wouldn't make much sense if they played a significant role, but I still miss them. Would love a GTA game inspired by The Godfather that lets us run our own mafia family. Probably wont happen though. :(

Well the best opportunity for that idea would have been in a DLC for IV. The New York setting will always be the best for a modern-day Mafia-themed GTA, as the Mafia are still very active in the NYC-NJ metro area (albeit with a much lower profile than before). Rather than TLAD, I'd have very much preferred a Mafia DLC with a Mafioso protagonist.

Oh well, that ship sailed away a long time ago.

Edited by Official General

LaBombaRomba

Seeing how bad GTA V's story and general sp was, i want something R* feels comfortable with and do well.

Edited by LaBombaRomba

Jimmy

I don't know man, IV+EFLC was made not that long ago by Rockstar's standards, as V is still the most recent GTA. So going by the GTA chronology, it does not feel like a long while without seeing any Mafia involvement, well in my opinion in anyway. You're getting the wrong idea, I'd always love and welcome the idea of significant Mafia involvement in GTA games - it makes sense according to reality. Assuming the next GTA game is set in Vice City, it just won't make sense, as modern-day Miami does not have much Mafia activity there these days. A minimal role would be fine, but to see the Mafia play a big role in a new, modern VC just don't make sense, when most of the criminal underworld in modern-day Miami revolves around Latin American drug cartels/organised crime groups, and Black and Hispanic drug-dealing street gangs. You won't hear of any significant La Cosa Nostra in reports of modern Miami underworld crime.

This would be the best idea probably. Just like The Godfather game. Ranking through the family and being the Don or Underboss itself. This would require an even older setting to make it more realistic. Maybe 70s. I wonder what city they would select for that.

PaddsterG2k3

Something that keeps the series fresh.

A modern day VC with nice Easter eggs to the old setting

Or

A 70/80/90s setting somewhere. Part of the reason I feel IV and V are so unloved is they they lack the pop culture they previous GTAs had due to their modern underground music.

Ivellios

50's-80's with playable Jon Gravelli would be great, I think.

BurnettVice

What if they do GTA game set in the 70's? The protagonist is Irish and was a member of the IRA. We work with a younger Derrick McReary.

Mid Night Club

00's please. I'm hoping there would be some crazy midnight racing scene in the next GTA and have even started a topic for that.

The early 00's or the late 90's will be the perfect time for that, since that was when the first Fast and Furious film was released and the racing scene gained popularity.

xDatxJunkyx

I'd love a GTA in the 1960's or 70's. That era, with the mafia roots or dirty government/ cops would be cool.

I know a lot about the 60's and the fashion of the time, but the 70's not so much. When I think of the 70's I think grungy and grimy. Then again, I know nothing of the time period at large. I'm probably thinking too much about the gimmicky outfits of the subcultures.

Then again, I might like the 70's, but I do like the suave, "Mad Men" esque 1960's feel when I imagine a GTA premise. Nice slim suits, with the pocket squares, the clubmaster/wayfarer sunglasses with a trilby hat, and some tight fit polo shirts, mixed in with the youthful counterculture I'm not too fond of, but still very atmospheric.

A lot of people are crazy for Pony cars such as the Impala SS and the Mustang, I think a mid century gta would be well received regardless.

I'd meet in the middle and say 1967-1973? The "Culture" of the 60's didn't really end in the 60's.

Edited by xDatxJunkyx

skramzkid

I'd love a modern day GTA set in Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee. It'd be great if they focused on crime again instead of heists that were initially entertaining that then became un-engaging. Themes should include the gang related gun violence in Chiraq as well as the lucrative gun running business that fuels it. They should also include the heroin epidemic spreading throughout Chicago and the rest of the Midwest as well as showcase traditional drug dealing gangs vs mostly suburban upstarts that use the Dark Web.

Another idea for a modern GTA can be set in Newark that focuses on car hijacking crews and the international crime syndicates/rich foreigners they sell stolen cars to. There should be a system where you manage how many cars to sell, and how to sell them, differing options can include more risk but higher more immediate profit like selling whole cars in bulk, or you can specialize in shipping parts one by one.

A modern GTA set in El Paso and Juarez would be a perfect setting as well. They can really show the disparity between the relatively safe El Paso and the lawless, cartel dominated city of Juarez. Along with drug running and warring with rival cartels, you can also traffic illegal migrants as a side activity. Enemies, and possible player factions can include Minutemen type militias

Official General

I'd love a modern day GTA set in Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee. It'd be great if they focused on crime again instead of heists that were initially entertaining that then became un-engaging. Themes should include the gang related gun violence in Chiraq as well as the lucrative gun running business that fuels it. They should also include the heroin epidemic spreading throughout Chicago and the rest of the Midwest as well as showcase traditional drug dealing gangs vs mostly suburban upstarts that use the Dark Web.

Another idea for a modern GTA can be set in Newark that focuses on car hijacking crews and the international crime syndicates/rich foreigners they sell stolen cars to. There should be a system where you manage how many cars to sell, and how to sell them, differing options can include more risk but higher more immediate profit like selling whole cars in bulk, or you can specialize in shipping parts one by one.

A modern GTA set in El Paso and Juarez would be a perfect setting as well. They can really show the disparity between the relatively safe El Paso and the lawless, cartel dominated city of Juarez. Along with drug running and warring with rival cartels, you can also traffic illegal migrants as a side activity. Enemies, and possible player factions can include Minutemen type militias

A Chicago plus Midwest setting for GTA would be great, with all that's there, it's got all the perfect ingredients for a GTA title. However, I'd rather see a modern VC first.

skramzkid

A Chicago plus Midwest setting for GTA would be great, with all that's there, it's got all the perfect ingredients for a GTA title. However, I'd rather see a modern VC first.

You, along with others have a point about Vice City being next. It would be too sudden a change if they veered from their formula, and like you said, there still is a hell of a lot going down in Miami/Florida. Plus maybe we can see some truly severe weather like storms and hurricanes. Like a level can take place in a town getting torn apart by a hurricane with Katrina type rioting after.

DOUGL4S1

It really depends on what the game is going for:

GTA online is set nowadays (not 2013 anymore) because a game set in present times can be kept updated. Bugatti released a new car on 2016? make a parody of it and put it in the game, no big deal. This also means we can hame modern days game mechanics, like Smartphones and Social websites, which isn't possible on a game set in the 80's or 90's for example (maybe the websites, but I wouldn't want to wait 30 seconds for a site to load in-game).

A game set in the past can have a much better story and setting because what happened 25+ years ago already happened and it's long gone, so the game can reference real-life events to make it's setting richer (i.e. Drug Cartel wars in 1980's Miami/Vice City, 1992 LS/LA riots, etc), and it also prevents surprises during development. GTA III was set during present days on its release, and R* had to change a few things on the game so it isn't that heavy after 9/11. That was 2001, and surprisingly, people nowadays can get "*TRIGGERED*" easier. Imagine if something similar happened to GTA V, maybe a terrorist attack, and Rockstar had to tone down a few things mostly related to Trevor, but then there would be nothing to do with that character, etc.

zmudziak32

What about Las Venturas and Mafia theme?

Official General

What about Las Venturas and Mafia theme?

That won't make sense, unless it's set in the 1970s and early 1980s when the Mafia controlled Vegas. A modern setting in Vegas themed on the Mafia makes no sense, as the Mafia's presence and influence in Vegas has been long diminished.

Daitojo97

Detroit in the 70s.

Yinepi

How about going back in time we go forward? Say 14 years like GTA2 did. This allows Rockstar to create their own unique cars and map and perhaps even technologies and parody the various that stereotypes of the future ... stuff like Robots, Compact electric cars, fascination with everything glowing blue, Retro-futurism, etc.

If not that then go back to 80s or 90s. Modern America is just garbage. It have horrible pop culture and because this the satire becomes to obvious and ruins the writing and creativity.

Edited by Yinepi

Journey_95

I really like the Mafia theme too (in both Era's) but they wouldn't make sense if we go back to VC and it is true that they have been kind of overused.

Just hope they don't pull something like the corrupt goverment/splinter cell bs again that we got in GTA V (better to overuse the mob instead of that sh*t). Just felt very out of place in a GTA game, otherwise I wouldn't have minded.

Not using the cartels was also a big missed opportunity (Madrazzo doesnt count, he was a pussy).

We need real criminal organizations and gritty atmosphere in VI, no matter where it takes place.

Edited by Journey_95

universetwisters

I wanna see Vice City in the 80s again. There you get the best of both worlds, gritty sh*t and glamour sh*t.