1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

thafablifee46

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

What era should the next game be set in?  

844 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

Shadow__Hazard

glad majority agrees with me. when i play a game i love to feel like if i was irl. i love games where i am in a realistic environment

The majority don't agree with you.

Out of the total number of votes cast thus far, votes for a Modern setting equal less than the rest.

The majority have voted for anything BUT modern.

RogerWho

glad majority agrees with me. when i play a game i love to feel like if i was irl. i love games where i am in a realistic environment

Democracy in practice. The rule of the morons.

And this 'realism' argument, I just can't. What is more realistic about a parody of 2010's than a parody of 1980's? Good grief.

0cta

The majority don't agree with you.

Out of the total number of votes cast thus far, votes for a Modern setting equal less than the rest.

The majority have voted for anything BUT modern.

A relative majority is still a majority.

Besides, a modern setting would dissappoint 55% of the voters, but another setting would dissappoint more people. There are 80% that don't want an 80s setting (with 80s beeing the 2nd place). And we haven't even counted the people that say "Whatever..." or "I explicitly DO NOT vor any of them!".

Democracy in practice. The rule of the morons.

And this 'realism' argument, I just can't. What is more realistic about a parody of 2010's than a parody of 1980's? Good grief.

Yeah, every time a vote doesn't mirror the own personal opinion, it's "morons". Otherwise, its "the people has spoken, deal with it" :whistle:

I guess people mistake "realism" with "personal experience" or "immersion". I have no real memories of the 80s, only nostalgic 90s kids memories and from the 2000s to now, not that much has changed. At least i don't get a nostalgia trip with the GTA IV setting. With modern times, everybody can relate to the setting, because well....everybody who plays it is...well...living in those times. Every numbered GTA was set roughly in a modern times setting. I don't see why this should be changed.

Edit: Not saying i wouldn't like a past setting somehere aside from the main game/storyline. Like a longer prologue, DLC or alternating between different times.

Edited by 0cta

evd

is nostalgia most precious emotion for GTA players? shouldnt it be the feel of freedome?

nostalgia keeps you in one specific place, which is a opposite of freedome actually. going back to VC every time NVIDIA releases new graphic card is pointless in a matter of pushing the game forward.

Edited by evd

RogerWho

Yeah, every time a vote doesn't mirror the own personal opinion

I can understand if someone simply prefers a particular setting, even if it's modern. But some people can't imagine anything except modern America and even argue for it - it's so stupid as if I were arguing that medieval fantasy is a bad fit for a BioWare RPG just because it's not my preference.

I've always respected Rockstar for doing new things. Every GTA brought something new and the majority were anywhere but in the modern setting. Nobody complained about London in the 60's, or Miami/VC in the 80's, people embraced the new. If this "majority" had their say, we'd never had anything except modern setting.

I'd like to have an option in the poll "anything but modern" - because I want to see something new after 2 games (or 6 if you count all of them) in the same era.

It's always been a staple of GTA to keep changing the time and place of the setting, not keep doing the same thing over and over to please the masses who fear change.

Edited by RogerWho

0cta

Let me rephrase:

GTA 1+2 had modern time settings with those London 61/69 Expansion packs

GTA 3 had a modern time setting, I consider Vice City and San Andreas as standalone expansions/spin offs. Same engine/timeline, they share many mechanics. They evolved the series, not the kind of evolution between the major games.

GTA 4 had a modern time setting, with EFLC rockstar went a different approach with 2 new campaigns which touched the main story here and there

GTA 5 had a modern time setting, no sp expansions so far.

GTA 6 having a modern time settings is not a far fetch. The last "past spinoffs" where all in the 3D Universe, in HD, the games were expansed around the same setting.

As said, maybe they will release a single-Player DLC set in Los Santos (like EFLC) and then GTA IV will come. Maybe it will start the 4k era. with an expansion set in the past. But right now, i don't see a past setting in the next years. (would be cool as an expansion though: GTA VI in modern times with your average joe protagonist. Then the expansions with show the rise to power of a few parties from the main game. Of course, one party became relevant in the 60/7, oone in the 80s and one in the 90s.

RogerWho

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Just because all the games in the HD universe so far were set in modern times doesn't mean it has to be like that forever, does it? Besides, while technically there were 6 releases, it's really just 2 games (or 2 stories if you will), so not much to go on in terms of inertia.

If anything, it would be a terrible shame. As much as I like to make fun of those who constantly cry for a new VC and I'm not much into the 80's myself, such a game has a potential to be amazing:

The way I see it, if the next game is in the same era again, it's not the same R* that weren't afraid to take chances and create games that were their own world and not just going with the flow (some argue it already is not). We'd never get RDR if they had such a mentality 10 years ago.

BTW it's interesting how in the 2007-2013 or so, some game series which were previously either period pieces or set in different time have all went for the modern setting - COD and BF are the most obvious examples - and now they're moving away again. The reason is simple, it's getting stale.

Since I mention COD and BF, it's interesting how BF players embrace any new setting (Vietnam, future, WW1) while COD players just bitch and moan about any change (first WW2->modern, then future).

I'd expect GTA players would fall into the first category.

I don't see much chance for prequels or sequels set in the same map in different time periods since that would require too many changes to the map, which is expensive with this kind of graphics (unless not much time has passed, like in GTAO->V).

But of course, if the'd have the base game in one setting (even modern) and then some DLCs or episodes or whatever set in a different time, I'd take at least that.

Edited by RogerWho

Niobium

????????

COD players are getting sick of the future setting...

GTA-Biker

I don't really get the people saying that the appeal of modern setting is that we live in it and can relate to it.In my opinion,that's what makes a modern setting boring.What's the point of wanting to use a smartphone in a video game when I can use my actual smartphone?Why would I want to see hipsters or modern vehicles in a video game when I can just go outside and see those stuff in real life?Why listen to the same music that's mostly playing on real life radio,on in game radio too?I mostly like open world games that show me stuff from the times before I was born (1980s and before) or remind me of the times I lived in (1990s and 2000s),so unless I play the game at least 5 years after it's release,I don't really find modern setting that interesting.

Edited by GTA-Biker

evd

????????

COD players are getting sick of the future setting...

they hate future setting, because its made COD-way. flashy. hollywoody, generally unauthentic.

since R* tries to make their game authentic where does your worries come from? from different game?

OK, f*ck logic.

Edited by evd

jpm1

is nostalgia most precious emotion for GTA players? shouldnt it be the feel of freedome?

nostalgia keeps you in one specific place, which is a opposite of freedome actually. going back to VC every time NVIDIA releases new graphic card is pointless in a matter of pushing the game forward.

This

Yeah, every time a vote doesn't mirror the own personal opinion

I can understand if someone simply prefers a particular setting, even if it's modern. But some people can't imagine anything except modern America and even argue for it - it's so stupid as if I were arguing that medieval fantasy is a bad fit for a BioWare RPG just because it's not my preference.

I've always respected Rockstar for doing new things. Every GTA brought something new and the majority were anywhere but in the modern setting. Nobody complained about London in the 60's, or Miami/VC in the 80's, people embraced the new. If this "majority" had their say, we'd never had anything except modern setting.

I'd like to have an option in the poll "anything but modern" - because I want to see something new after 2 games (or 6 if you count all of them) in the same era.

It's always been a staple of GTA to keep changing the time and place of the setting, not keep doing the same thing over and over to please the masses who fear change.

i think you're making yourself too much movies (no offense). i was just saying i'd like modern times,point. what is so annoying with that. with modern times, i like how the environment makes me feel at home. and what i love is to be able to do not everyday activities together with everyday activities together in an friendly environment. that's what i call realism in games. that particular feeling you're at home while doing fun and uncommon things. you can do an episode about the 80s if you want, but game main core shouldn't put limits IMO

RogerWho

Sorry if I was offensive, like I said, if you prefer the setting that's fine, I was put off by your comment that you're glad that the majority agrees with you. I mean what does personal preference have to do with the majority? But - again, sorry for that.

Now that I think about it, all the numbered GTAs were set in the period when they were released (2 was a bit off with its retrofuturism but is still officially set in 1999 AFAIK). Funny, I never realized that. So I suppose the next GTA should be GTA <city> <year> whatever those are... Not GTA 6.

I mean, seriously. There were 2 games set back to back in the same setting. 6 if you count everything. So, another one immediately? Even if you're a fan of the setting, you should feel the danger of the series getting stale. Unless they do something truly revolutionary with the environment or gameplay.

The Roaming Brougham

Wow, people really love to use the "nostalgia accusation" on long-time players when trying to justify their preference for a modern setting, don't they? Alrighty then...

I was born in the mid '90s, ergo I have no nostalgia for the '70s or '80s, as I wasn't even alive to experience those times. Heck, I don't even really have much memory from the '90s. I am, however, quite nostalgic for the early to mid 2000s, though I don't particularly care for that time period as a setting in fiction compared to earlier decades. I think a late 1970s setting would be ideal, since there's so much awesome music from the time, cool vehicles and clothing styles to choose from, oodles of parody/satire potential, and hey, there's never been a GTA game set in the '70s, so I don't see how that would be akin to the older games. If anything, that would be breaking the mold a bit. Plus, we haven't had a "period piece" GTA since Vice City Stories, which will have its 10-year anniversary this Halloween.

Also, like GTA-Biker said above, if I wanted to experience a modern setting, why not just go outside or perhaps just play one of the many games that take place in recent years? It would just feel mundane to me. Video games are a great medium for experiencing eras gone by, which is why I'm quite fond of games like the Mafia series, which have picked a certain era to take place in and sort of represent in a way. Yeah, there may be the occasional immersion-breaking anachronism here and there for those with a keen eye for detail, but there's just an inherent sense of cool when playing as a mobster in the '20s to the '40s, a drug lord in the '80s, a gang member in the '90s, etc. Sure, many people out there, like myself, think that particular points in history have a certain je ne sais quoi that comes off as appealing, but is that really nostalgia? I figured there had to be some sort of personal connection or experience attached to the time period in question for it to be considered nostalgia.

I think that's a topic for a different discussion, but like I said, the '70s would be untouched territory for GTA, so the developers would at least be trying something new in an era with a lot of material to work with. Just to clarify, I have no problem with anyone's opinion in regards to when/where they think the next GTA should take place. I just think a lot of these "nostalgia accusations" are a tad uncalled for.

jpm1

an episode with 70s era can't go wrong. i mean great music, great cars, with highly charismatic characters, skin cancer free sunbathings .. yes, i'd definitely dive into such atmosphere. but for an episode only :colgate:

Vanzant

A 70's setting would be great even if Mafia III is set around the same time period. I modern setting would feel repetitive at this point. Driving the same cars using the same weapons would feel lazy.

Jezus Holy Christ

A 70's setting would be great even if Mafia III is set around the same time period. I modern setting would feel repetitive at this point. Driving the same cars using the same weapons would feel lazy.

Damn right. If I'm gonna wait another five years, I expect something new not getting the same feelings in just another setting.

killdrivetheftvehicle

Counting from III there's been

- 3 contemporary games (III, IV, V)

- 2 games in the 80's (VC, VCS)

- 2 games in the 90's (SA, LCS)

It seems the roman numeral games are all set in the present time, while all the other games were in III universe (3D universe)

So, if it's going to be VI, it should be a contemporary game, but if it's going to be a city game, I think it's going to be set in the 90's or 70's, because the last period game was set in 80's, But mid 90's and late 80's are not dealt with yet.

Edited by killdrivetheftvehicle

JTap0

I wouldn't mind returning to an earlier era at some point, but for right now, I prefer modern.

0cta

My guess:

- GTA V SP Expansion (modern times) within 1-2 years

- GTA VI by 2020

R* is caught between a rock and a hard place regarding VI's setting without a more or less original twist. They'll either rip off themselves or another game with something like VC and SA (haters gonna hate anyway): "Look, it's Vice City/Mafia 3 all over again!". A good combination of different timespans in one game or with a DLC (past/future setting) following rather fast like EFLC within 1-2 years can do the trick.

-Quantum-

I want something revolutionary. I want GTA game to take place in two different time periods. Something similar was in Driver Parallel Lines, where the first half of the game was in 70's and the second half in 2006. R* need to do something revolutionary, next step after 3 main characters at the same time - now it's two different time periods at the same time.

bomberswarm2

Pre 9/11. The world changed that day. The sun shone more brightly in the 90s. Go, look at any video or picture from the 1990s and you'll see. They could get away with doing a 2000 setting. Internet, Camera phones with touchscreens, message boards all existed (yes camera phones, look it up). Suprisingly, setting the game in the present does date the game. Radio stations, phones, the entire plot, all seem so old. On the other hand, games set in the past don't feel dated. They are set in a timezone and are supposed to be. Works well in SA, because there's a concrete link to a real world event (Rodney King riots). You know everything is 90s, because its based around 90s events.

Hodgey.

I'd be fine with a number of time periods but I wouldn't want it to go into the future.

For me if they set the next game in either the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's or now then I'd be fine with that but like I said anything in the future or anything in the 50's or earlier would put me off.

ColePhelps

They need to go into the past, Liberty city or carcer city or somewhere with a colder environment ..

A modern day VC would feel exactly the same as V, not saying i don't want VC just not for 6

Jassassino

I feel like if it was a game set in a different era, it wouldn't be the 6th game, like how Vice City wasn't the 4th title numbered game.

I'd really love to see a game set in the 90's, that would be great. But for the next game, assuming it's the title numbered sixth game, I'd like to keep it in modern day.

Wolfsbane Franklin

GTA can remain in the present setting but do something about the story. V's story is crap and it is due to R*'s preoccupation with MP. Make it about gangs and OC with some heists go with. Please produce a better SP game and just improve on GTAO.

Rusty9130

DICE/EA did the "cool" thing and went all the way back to WW1, so who knows. Maybe they'll set a trend. There's also that Mafia III piece of sh*t, too. Set in 1970s New Orleans I think?

Just think... GTA VI set in 1950s Chicago or Miami or whatever. You'll soon see threads about the OP MIG-15 and P-51 Mustang

Mister Pinkerton

Consecutive, back to back, modern times is getting a little tiresome. I loved the charm, the hindsight, the stark difference in car models when jumping between decades of the 3D-era games.

For example from IV to V, there's little variation in the car models and clothes etc. However from III to VC there's a huge difference. So rather than voting I just want games set in the past, I'm voting for variety. Alternating between decades with each installment would be great.

Every second GTA can be modern and set in the past respectively. Multiple consecutive current day GTA's is getting stale for me, considering there's no new cities since San Andreas and all. There's plenty of modern-day games open-world games.

Vice City or San Andreas was what give Rockstar this really unique and boldness that just wasn't seen in other games before it. What other games were set in the early 90's South Central LA!? That was crazy. We had films depicting this culture but never videogames.

54% of the people that voted, voted for something other than a contemporary setting. That says something.

LA/Los Santos is the epitome of modern-day contemporary pop-culture and entertainment. I'm wondering what Rockstar are thinking next. Hopefully something vastly different from L.A.

Edited by Mister Pink

Shyabang Shyabang

Edited by Shyabang Shyabang

AnimalFather

i would like GTA Fifth Element.