Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,653 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

thafablifee46

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

What era should the next game be set in?  

687 members have voted

1. 1. What era should the next game be set in?

• 50's or earlier
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's
    • Modern times
    • Future

thafablifee46

I think rockstar most successful games were the era games. So what do you think ? Should they keep it up to date or look towards the past for inspiration?

Edited by RedDagger

mariana_dm1989

Up to date. I don't want to drive old vehicles and use old guns.

Michael

I wouldn't mind if we would go back in time or actually up to date. As long if the story is great and the game good.

PhillBellic

I'd like to go Back In Time.

"Is this 50's, or 1999..."

Seriously, if they can if they can make a great Game set in modern times, then do it, but I'd prefer a setting in the past. The Satire would be better, I feel.

Raavi

I can't see them going too far back in time. The current era lends itself perfectly to those extra elements such as Snapmatic for instance, which adds to the longevity. Could hardly use a smartphone to snap pics if it were set in the 30s. Practicallties of the era aside, I'd love a GTA that would takes place during and focussed on the Cold War, with both the 60s and 80s being good candidates for a fitting era. Plenty of food for satire and an exciting story, especially if it's from the perspective of someone with Soviet ties in one form or another.

Pedinhuh

San Fierro in the 70's.

For the photos, just steal a camera from some tourist and use it, then let us keep those photos somewhere in our safehouses were we can choose where to post in the walls or discard them.

Then just give us a option to upload them at social club, it could work, just needs some work and creativity.

San Francisco in 70's looked very good in many places through photos

TheRockfordGuy

U are right , Marijana Maki ...

Just imagine this ... Driving a small number of super fast sport cars , black&white TV shows , no internet , no stock market , no cellular phones , no yachts , no more many of gta brands , no super-fast sport bikes , the old architecture of the city .... Besides , the Mafia franchise would be too similar to that kind of gta , because Mafia franchise is already going in that direction , going forward to the next decades ....

And GTA 70' or 80' ONLINE multiplayer wouldn't be 20% popular as it is now . Why ? Who would buy sharkcards ( or waste time on the missions ) for some old clothes and houses or apartments .Don't start about the cars ! The car upgrades ? Any upgrades ? The plains or choppers ? How would you get mission instructions like with Lester or how would you call companies and other contacts from your phonebook ? You would each time go to your home and dial with the old phone or you should search each time for public phones ? And messaging with other players ? And the soundtrack would be classic but unpopular for this modern age of today's GTA consumers ...

It wouldn't work ...

Pedinhuh

U are right , Marijana Maki ...

Just imagine this ... Driving a small number of super fast sport cars , black&white TV shows , no internet , no stock market , no cellular phones , no yachts , no more many of gta brands , no super-fast sport bikes , the old architecture of the city .... Besides , the Mafia franchise would be too similar to that kind of gta , because Mafia franchise is already going in that direction , going forward to the next decades ....

And GTA 70' or 80' ONLINE multiplayer wouldn't be 20% popular as it is now . Why ? Who would buy sharkcards ( or waste time on the missions ) for some old clothes and houses or apartments .Don't start about the cars ! The car upgrades ? Any upgrades ? The plains or choppers ? How would you get mission instructions like with Lester or how would you call companies and other contacts from your phonebook ? You would each time go to your home and dial with the old phone or you should search each time for public phones ? And messaging with other players ? And the soundtrack would be classic but unpopular for this modern age of today's GTA consumers ...

It wouldn't work ...

You just described the perfect GTA for me.

And I got your sarcasm.

Journey_95

I hope they go back in time but they probably won't. It would be too big of a change.

San Fierro in the 70's.
For the photos, just steal a camera from some tourist and use it, then let us keep those photos somewhere in our safehouses were we can choose where to post in the walls or discard them.

Then just give us a option to upload them at social club, it could work, just needs some work and creativity.

Yeah the 70's are whats still missing. We had the 80's and 90's but sadly they missed out on a great game set in the 70's, San Fierro or Las Venturas would have been great

Edited by Journey_95

Official General

I just don't get what was so great or exciting about the 1970s regarding the American organised crime and gang scene. I just don't see how a GTA game would greatly benefit from being based on it. In the 1970s there was not much of going on of any real significance, in terms of events and periods. Most American organised crime by then was already dominated and tightly controlled by La Cosa Nostra, there were very few mob wars, because the all the main Mafia crime families by then had business agreements and territorial boundaries in place. The main street gangs in the U.S are well known today either started in the late 1970s or early 1980s, and only grew into prominence from the mid/late 1980s and into the whole of the 1990s. The explosively violent Hispanic drug cartels terrorised Miami for most of the city's golden and glamorous era in 1980s, that's the era they are most associated with, and the era that Vice City so successfully portrayed. And what's the obsession with 1970s San Francisco ? They barely had a Mafia in that city, and it's not known for having a strong gang culture - especially in the 1970s.

I'd love a HD return to 80s VC, but it's been done already, GTA VC already did an unforgettable and totally legendary job on that, it's just pointless to re-create it again.

And like someone said earlier, I too don't wanna be driving old cars and using old weapons. I also wanna be using modern-day gadgets like we did in IV and V, I'm just too used to it now. I say stick to modern day, I still think VC needs more justice done to it with complete HD refurbishment job. Besides modern-day Miami still has a lot to offer and there is a lot of crime, drugs and gangs out there.

The7thOne

Keep it modern. GTA's always been about emulating current trends and stereotypes, I doubt they'd risk going back into the past, since the writers would have to do their homework. Granted, it could be interesting, but unlikely.

BlackScout

Modern times seems to have no defined style and trend. I won't expand this, it's just my opinion.

*70's Disco 80's Synthwave/Miami and so on, now, 2010' ????*

I'd rather go back in time.

Edited by TrustedInstaller

zuckmeslow

mid to late 90's. no more talk about social media or hipsters or anything else that's wrong with this generation.

a game set in a gritty 1990s liberty city would be amazing. just think about the atmosphere they could pull off with the beautiful cars of the 90s and the beautiful urban grit of new york while it was in its prime. we would get the world trade center and pedestrians would actually be walking instead of just looking down on their phones and talking about life invader or some other stupid present day trend.

Pedinhuh

mid to late 90's. no more talk about social media or hipsters or anything else that's wrong with this generation.

a game set in a gritty 1990s liberty city would be amazing. just think about the atmosphere they could pull off with the beautiful cars of the 90s and the beautiful urban grit of new york while it was in its prime. we would get the world trade center and pedestrians would actually be walking instead of just looking down on their phones and talking about life invader or some other stupid present day trend.

That was done in GTA LCS.

Fuzzknuckles

1970s. Great music, cool cars, lots of interesting stuff happening around the world to parody, and drugs and crime were entering a new era. f*ck the 80s and 90s.

PhillBellic

San Fierro in the 70's.

About the Cameras; Take the Film to a Photo Shop to have it developed. There's a potential Business for the Game.

Cameron Star

I'd rather stay in the present, but I wouldn't mind if R* went back in time for the next game.

Piggsy pls

I'm 99% sure they will keep it in modern times. From IV onwards it's been too ingrained in modern tech. The cellphone (people won't want to have punch in each number), the internet (major thing in the series now is managing sh*t like banking, stock market, etc on the internet, plus a major thing in GTA Online is buying vehicles online, they're not just gonna completely scrap convienient things like that). All these alternatives people keep suggesting will just be seen as a hassle compared to IV and V by most gamers. The earliest I could see them going is early-mid 2000's, the series will most likely stay modern.

IntellectualCougarCub

What they could do is make a whole strand of flashback missions(suppose the protagonist or One of them is slightly older like Michael who's my favourite GTA Protagonist ever) where you are in "the past"(for flashback purposes).That way the main game could be in the present but you'd get a chain of 10 or so missions where you explore the map as it was at an earlier period.

GTA-Biker

I would like a game set in the 1970s or 1980s.

70s because it would be something new that they never did before so they could work with many fresh ideas (70s mob in East Coast or Las Venturas,Asian gangs in San Fierro and Golden Dragon massacre,old school biker gangs...),and it's not too far in the past that it would feel more like Mafia game.It would also have lots of cool muscle cars,big American sedans,badass classic chopper bikes,early sports bikes,some classic European and maybe Japanese cars...and a great soundtrack,probably with lots of classic rock.

80s because it would feel very nostalgic,for both the people who were alive in the 80s and the people who played GTA VC and VCS as kids,not to mention that it would probably have great soundtrack (VC was set in the 80s and it had one of the best,if not the best soundtrack in the series).

Edited by LeopardGecko

Pedinhuh

I don't see how hard it would be to adapt to a GTA without the cellphone, people in the 70's did just fine without it.

-Want to buy cars? Go to the dealership(or steal a car from it);

-Want to manage your bank account? Go to the bank(and pull off a heist while you're at it);

-Want to invest in the stock market? Go to the building where they do it(And pull off another heist while you're at it too);

-Want to the see news? TV or newspaper;

-Social media? Well f*ck that sh*t anyway, GTA is better off without it.

Also keep in mind that these suggestions(besides the last one) would add more interiors to the game and the mechanics of it would make you explore more of the map, it's a win-win situation in my eyes.

Fuzzknuckles

I don't see how hard it would be to adapt to a GTA without the cellphone, people in the 70's did just fine without it.

-Want to buy cars?;

-Want to invest in the stock market?

-Want to the see news?

TV or newspaper;

Actually works for all three of these. Back in the 70s, and even now, classified ads were king. This could actually be handled really well, and the interface from RDRedemption for the newspapers could be approximated.

And hey, at least there'd finally be a use for phone boxes beyond the assassination calls.

zuckmeslow

That was done in GTA LCS.

Yes, but we arent in the 3 generation are we. Just like people want another 80s vice city game, the graphics of today will provide a realistic atmosphere. As much as i love LCS, the graphics dont sell the era at all.

Piggsy pls

-Want to manage your bank account? Go to the bank(and pull off a heist while you're at it);

-Want to invest in the stock market? Go to the building where they do it(And pull off another heist while you're at it too);

Also keep in mind that these suggestions(besides the last one) would add more interiors to the game and the mechanics of it would make you explore more of the map, it's a win-win situation in my eyes.

After IV and V most players would see these things as a downgrade. I wouldn't mind it but I doubt they will go back in time for that reason.

MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Yeah. But it wouldn't surprise me if the 6 year olds who get their hands on GTA will start crying because 'everything is old'

Pedinhuh

After IV and V most players would see these things as a downgrade. I wouldn't mind it but I doubt they will go back in time for that reason.

Those players can go f*ck theirselves then, they are the typical kind of players who wants everything handed to them on a silver plate, and the main reason V panders soo much to them, I hate how these guys took over R* interests.

universetwisters

I would love to see the 1980s again. f*ck the modern day and it's unfunny "social commentary".

Zello

This!!!

jimknc.jpg

Payphones, newspapers, and everything people used back in the day. Gameplay would be different but it's not like we use modern day technology much in GTA it won't be missed.

Edited by Zello

MakeAmericaGreatAgain

I would love to see the 1980s again. f*ck the modern day and it's unfunny "social commentary".

Agreed.

Official General

1970s. Great music, cool cars, lots of interesting stuff happening around the world to parody, and drugs and crime were entering a new era. f*ck the 80s and 90s.

The 1970s would be the most boring era of real life American organised crime to portray in my opinion. Not in the sense of research or reading out of interest, but in the sense of it being used as a setting and era for GTA. I just don't think it was explosive or thrilling enough as an era of gangs and organised crime to be best placed within a game like GTA grounded in realism.

The 1980s and 1990s would be a much better better past eras of gangs and organised crime to portray because they contain far more action and hugely dramatic events within that world in real life - however we've already had VC and SA, two GTAs so hugely successful that there legacies still overshadow their successors. The 1960s and the classic gangster/Prohibition era of the 1920s/1930s were already well-covered by the Mafia series.

That's another important reason why I say future GTAs should just stick to modern day.

Edited by Official General