2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

ULPC character model

Jimbatron

OK - I am well aware there is a modding section - but I've had no response to this question there so please don't flame me! As most of the hardcore IV fans frequent this section I'm hoping I might have more joy here.

Does anyone know if I can get a working model of the ULPC guy for IV in game - and if so where I can download one?

Searches have drawn a blank, I have a nasty suspicion one doesn't exist.

There's a cutscene model, "cs_cia", although as with all IV cutscene models their spine is bent into a right angle if you spawn them in game. I need one that stands up straight and normal - although I don't actually need him to walk or move.

I have V on the PC and note there is a working in-game model - I think it is called "ig_paper" from memory. However the model files are not directly compatible. As and alternative, I don't suppose there's an easy way / guide on how to transfer them (for very much a novice modder who doesn't own expensive software like 3ds max)?

If you are interested in the why, I would like the character to feature in a cameo for an upcoming IV movie I am making. Not much but I can offer a note in the credits to anyone who points me in the right direction!

PhillBellic

To the best of my knowledge, the Modding Community has yet to be able to convert NPC's from V to IV, or vice versa.

Ah, this post made me remember the bent over models, its real fun to use them in game, it happened to me with Tom Stubbs III in TLaD, but I dont know how to make the spine work properly

Open your trainer.ini, find your animation slots, put this in there:

[AnimationSlot1]AnimationName=rpbri1_0AnimationSequence=cs_brian_0[AnimationSlot2]AnimationName=n2_0AnimationSequence=cs_cia_0
Load those up in-game on your favorite cs model and have your mind blown.

Open your trainer.ini, find your animation slots, put this in there:

[AnimationSlot1]AnimationName=rpbri1_0AnimationSequence=cs_brian_0[AnimationSlot2]AnimationName=n2_0AnimationSequence=cs_cia_0
Load those up in-game on your favorite cs model and have your mind blown.

You absolute legend!

For some bizarre reason they don't become available to me in the load slots, even though the above seems perfectly specified and I simply cut and pasted them in. However, you've helped me locate the cutscene animation files - and I've just used Open IV to swap out n2_0 cs_cia_0 with [email protected] playpinball (or whatever the first alphabetical one is called).

n2_0 cs_cia_0 is him sitting in a chair, and I need him standing, however, I reckon I'll be able to use OpenIV's animation viewer to find the one of him standing in the final John Gravelli mission and I think that will give me what I need!

Thanks again!

It's nice you found that way though regarding actual modelling, it is possible. I tried getting Gerry McReary to be in-game and it DID work... albeit not too nice. The model is VERY buggy and he looks like Slender lol. I didn't make it via 3dsMax though (I got 7 and programs to open IV's formats are only for 8 and above), but a combining meshes method. Still, I've been told it works similar to GTA San Andreas rigging - you'd need to get an IV ped with the exact same number of meshes (head, upper, lower etc.) First you'd import ULPC's model, remove all the "bones". Then import the IV ped, edit ULPC's meshes to fit perfectly with the imported ped. Then you'd have to go into Editing Meshes Mode, select the IV ped, attach the meshes to Charles' model and delete the meshes of the ped you used as base. After all of this, you'd just need to export him and I guess he'd work in-game better than the in-game model, but there is still a lot of risk for bugs.

DhF4CUK7S5mrQmZkTLK8DA.png

Damnit! The animation trick would work a treat but there's a snag. When I use F2 to take a clip, and I review it, the cutscene model vanishes - even though I can see him in the thumbnail for the clip.

My best guess is the cs animations take place quite a distance from where your ped is standing. That's not a problem because using the trainer I can move him - but I guess when I record the clip the model is too far away, and vanishes as it only renders peds who are close by?

Glad you figured it out!

Yeah the cutscene animations often move the characters far from their actual position, which seems to cause problems with the video editor. A workaround is avoiding the editor altogther and using something like this to capture your scene. If I remember correctly, they won't vanish using this method.

I took it a step further awhile back and re-adjusted the position of the animations in 3ds Max which mostly fixed the editor bug. I'd help you out with that, but I don't have 3ds Max anymore. But if you still want to use the video editor for this, try out animations from random encounter cutscenes (they are named rp in cuts.img), I've noticed those ones don't move your character too far from their actual position, making the editor bug less likely to occur.

Edited by Deadly Target

Glad you figured it out!

Yeah the cutscene animations often move the characters far from their actual position, which seems to cause problems with the video editor. A workaround is avoiding the editor altogther and using something like this to capture your scene. If I remember correctly, they won't vanish using this method.

I took it a step further awhile back and re-adjusted the position of the animations in 3ds Max which mostly fixed the editor bug. I'd help you out with that, but I don't have 3ds Max anymore. But if you still want to use the video editor for this, try out animations from random encounter cutscenes (they are named rp in cuts.img), I've noticed those ones don't move your character too far from their actual position, making the editor bug less likely to occur.

Thanks again, like you suggested, I found an animation that doesn't move the character too far from their positions - then it works in clip capture.