1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[REL/OpenSrc] Magic.TXD

The_GTA

50 minutes ago, dot exe said:

Thank you for this Amazing Tool!

Is there any update?

I just want to request one feature that if we export the texture, the texture that exported is got separated. I mean like with alpha and without alpha is on different folder, not at same folder. Thanks!

You mean a feature like in TXDWorckshop, where you can export the alpha chanal separatlly from the rest? Have requested such feature years ago, but not going to hepend, specially since the developer of the tool no longer updating it.

17 minutes ago, cj2000 said:

You mean a feature like in TXDWorckshop, where you can export the alpha chanal separatlly from the rest? Have requested such feature years ago, but not going to hepend, specially since the developer of the tool no longer updating it.

Yeah like that. But idk if that feature is there in TXDWorkshop. It's very useful feature anyway.

What happened with the developer? Is this tool discontinued? So sad.

Edited by dot exe
1 hour ago, dot exe said:

Yeah like that. But idk if that feature is there in TXDWorkshop. It's very useful feature anyway.

What happened with the developer? Is this tool discontinued? So sad.

Unfortunatelly TXDWorkshop is a really old and a bit bugy tool, so it has problems with some txd files. The tool is only for PC txd files and DXT5 textures can´t be handled by the tool.

Edited by cj2000
15 hours ago, dot exe said:

Thank you for this Amazing Tool!

Is there any update?

I just want to request one feature that if we export the texture, the texture that exported is got separated. I mean like with alpha and without alpha is on different folder, not at same folder. Thanks!

Since this is asked again, this tool aims to get people used to a more professional method (TXDWorkshop allowed this but it was also recompressing the image each time you changed the alpha or messed with it, resulting in degraded image quality), here's a quick guide on how to get it...

On Magic.TXD, export your chosen texture in a format that can handle alpha channels, in this case PNG...

unknown.png

Then, load that PNG into an image editor, here I've chosen GIMP, but many others pack the same feature set, what you want to do is ADD LAYER MASK to the image...

unknown.png

When given the options, choose to transfer/keep the current mask...

unknown.png

Then after that you'll notice the mask is now displayed next to the original image, so just right click that and toggle between editing and showing the mask, or to edit the base image...

unknown.png

And voila, once you get used to this you'll find it much quicker and also have the ability to do more tweaks and effects to the mask and base at the same time WITHOUT degrading the quality...

unknown.png

• Like 2
On 3/17/2020 at 4:01 AM, Ash_735 said:

Since this is asked again, this tool aims to get people used to a more professional method (TXDWorkshop allowed this but it was also recompressing the image each time you changed the alpha or messed with it, resulting in degraded image quality), here's a quick guide on how to get it...

On Magic.TXD, export your chosen texture in a format that can handle alpha channels, in this case PNG...

unknown.png

Then, load that PNG into an image editor, here I've chosen GIMP, but many others pack the same feature set, what you want to do is ADD LAYER MASK to the image...

unknown.png

When given the options, choose to transfer/keep the current mask...

unknown.png

Then after that you'll notice the mask is now displayed next to the original image, so just right click that and toggle between editing and showing the mask, or to edit the base image...

unknown.png

And voila, once you get used to this you'll find it much quicker and also have the ability to do more tweaks and effects to the mask and base at the same time WITHOUT degrading the quality...

unknown.png

But for export only TXDWorckshop could be a good solution, as long it can handle the format of txd file.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears to be a bug that doesn't let you mass convert .txd -> image format in the same folder that you are getting your .txd files from. Otherwise, really good work, thank you for making this piece of art!

I noticed when starting a Mass Build, there's a quality checkbox and input, what is the min/max of the quality input?

Also, does anyone have a good compression balance?

• 3 weeks later...

OtU6dbP.png

Can I get some guidance with generating mipmaps for SA?

• Should I clear mipmaps?
  • What does "max" in "generate mipmaps" refer to?
  • "Improve filtering"?
  • Should I enable the other options?
  • Can I output to the game folder?
Edited by muh linucs
  • 2 weeks later...

For some reason I'm unable to save pcbtns.txd with magic.txd, every other txd works fine, but the save option doesn't save this particular txd nor does the save button with the popup when closing do anything at all 🤔

22 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

For some reason I'm unable to save pcbtns.txd with magic.txd, every other txd works fine, but the save option doesn't save this particular txd nor does the save button with the popup when closing do anything at all 🤔

It's not marked as "Read Only" is it?

3 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

It's not marked as "Read Only" is it?

It wasn't, but it gave me an idea, applied read only & then reverted it, seems to work as expected now 🙃

Probably Windows 10 that might've done something funny with that particular txd in an update maybe. Not sure. Anyway it works now.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm new here, my name is Meng fan, magic. txd tool is GTA3 mobile TXD version settings PowerVR game appeared very big problem, the Mapping error, Windows version

Edited by Meng Fan
Typo

How about, in some next version, more quality settings for DXT compression?

Using Unity Engine for my game, I noticed very useful compression quality options.

Spoiler

00.png

0,9 / 0,6 MB for a 2048x2048 texture, this is insane.

Its very important for RoSA Project Reborn, because that thing already has dozens of GBs and we need to decrease the resolution because the crappy game streaming causes lag spikes, even using .img (that is, it's not a disk fragmentation problem from separated files in modloader).

Taking advantage from this message, please make the compressed texture option as default instead of uncompressed,and fix power of 2 automatically for compressed textures.

I know that there may be some case where the person "loses" his job by adding in the .txd and not making a backup of the uncompressed version, but it is an exaggeration to worry about it, it is for a greater good.

I have posted mods on my site for almost a decade, and you guys have no idea of the problem that happened when Magic.TXD arrived in the community replacing TXD Workshop. Virtually all mods that use .txd created with Magic.TXD, do not include compression on textures and / or include compression but with a non-power texture of 2 (without exaggeration, 95%, not considering my internal community that learned from me).

Note that from the beginning I put a very highlighted warning on my website with a tutorial, for, at least those who download there, have a short tutorial on how to use compression and resolution power of 2, and even so practically all mods created in Magic.TXD create the .txd file in the wrong way, even with a internal tutorial explaining that using compression is important, and they also don't know the concept of mipmaps (some PCs the mipmaps makes effect on sprite textures, and it gets blurred, others not).
Magic.TXD was a very important milestone in modding, at the same time it increased the number of bad created .txd mods for thousands %, and I'm not talking about small inexperienced modders, even though it is still important because they are the majority, but I see these errors even on big, experienced modders. Some action from Magic.TXD itself is needed to solve this, change the default or just a better warn about compression, also warn about compression without power of 2 etc.

Edited by Junior_Djjr

I don't see how this can help with lagspikes as crunches have to be decompressed back to DXT. But reducing archive sizes is a must with such mods.

Edited by firedihm
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 11:14 AM, Gmer said:

hey @The_GTA just a question, now that Qt has its business sorted (issue that annoyed you fixed, and the "Qt is crashing") and I see you got a lot of changes in your repo at https://osdn.net/projects/magic-txd/ ...

are you planning to upload a new version (for windows) anywhere soon? I'm excited : )

well @The_GTA let me repeat this question as you didn't answer it.

.. is Magic.TXD fully, and permanently, abandoned when it comes to updates?

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 7:51 PM, LaDiDa said:

I know it's a bit late answer but I think this pcbtns.txd problem isn't related to your OS, it's happening me everytime(Windows 7). No idea about is it related to MagicTXD but probably it's a bugged file by rockstar. I had fixed it with creating another TXD file and importing the edited pcbtns textures to this new TXD and renaming this file to pcbtns.txd.

What does "Max" means, I see it in mipmap tab but no idea about what is it and I don't have time + enough computer power to compare differences between two Max Level, I am asking because of that, what it means? Is it have something changes texture quality in game? Or affecting something else?

Edited by Malekithh
50 minutes ago, Malekithh said:

What does "Max" means, I see it in mipmap tab but no idea about what is it and I don't have time + enough computer power to compare differences between two Max Level, I am asking because of that, what it means? Is it have something changes texture quality in game? Or affecting something else?

Where is this in the settings? It should be on the builder but unsure about the main program, it basically means you can FORCE a maximum AF rendering level, these days everything should be fine with the highest level (AFx16), but if for some reason you wanted to set a forced value lower then you can do so here. Leaving it to 0 lets the game or your forced drivers option decide.

28 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

Where is this in the settings? It should be on the builder but unsure about the main program, it basically means you can FORCE a maximum AF rendering level, these days everything should be fine with the highest level (AFx16), but if for some reason you wanted to set a forced value lower then you can do so here. Leaving it to 0 lets the game or your forced drivers option decide.

It's in mass convert and mass build, I converted my textures with Max:6, and my textures be black like the current black texture bug in gta, and i converted them again with Max: 9 and the black texture is fixed. I will try with Max: 0 too because I think making this number higher also makes bigger size (Max: 6 was 750MB~ and Max:9 was 800MB~).

Edited by Malekithh

I converted textures again with Generate Mipmaps checked and Max: 0, it seems it didn't created mipmaps because I checked the mipmaps in converted files, they all are still 1. So making it 0 isn't lets the game, it's also doesn't creates mipmaps, what level should I use? In Mass build, it's default is 32, in Mass convert it's 6(6 causing black texture bug, 9 isn't I don't know why.)

Edited by Malekithh
10 hours ago, Malekithh said:

I converted textures again with Generate Mipmaps checked and Max: 0, it seems it didn't created mipmaps because I checked the mipmaps in converted files, they all are still 1. So making it 0 isn't lets the game, it's also doesn't creates mipmaps, what level should I use? In Mass build, it's default is 32, in Mass convert it's 6(6 causing black texture bug, 9 isn't I don't know why.)

Ahh in that case it's setting how many steps, so yes 6 is going to contain less mipmap levels then 9. Again most modern systems will be fine with 9. Anything less and it starts cutting off the lower end mipmaps which games will seek at the furthest point, that's why SA has the black texture bug.

• 1 month later...

Hello, thanks for this awesome tool. It makes really easy the texture edit in the GTA games, now Im trying to open the .TXD from the txd.img that the PSVita creates the first time you run the game to look at the compression that the game uses, the thing is that when I try to open the any files I get these errors

*** ["info"]: Loaded plugin a8.magf (A8)
*** ["info"]: Loaded plugin v8u8.magf (V8U8)
*** ["info"]: loading TXD: C:\IMGConsole\out\psv\3d8ball.txd
*** ["warning"]: texture has an invalid filter mode; defaulting to linear
*** ["warning"]: texture has an invalid uAddressing mode; defaulting to wrap
*** ["warning"]: texture has an invalid vAddressing mode; defaulting to wrap
*** ["error"]: failed to load the TXD archive: texture  has an invalid image data stream section size

With TXD Workshop i get errors too, but it gets the size of the first texture of the file, but not the others.

Here you have the file if you want to check it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wnnbj80ki2wkzlj/3d8ball.txd/file

Edited by ALCAMJI
On 11/29/2020 at 3:42 AM, ALCAMJI said:

now Im trying to open the .TXD from the txd.img that the PSVita creates the first time you run the game to look at the compression that the game uses

I'm going to assume you're talking about re3 here? In which case it's not an "official" version of the game so it will contain some oddities when used with tools that were made for the original versions. As far as I'm aware the PSVita version forces everything to low quality DXT though.

It's a custom format we use on the vita. not compatible with anything else.

17 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

I'm going to assume you're talking about re3 here? In which case it's not an "official" version of the game so it will contain some oddities when used with tools that were made for the original versions. As far as I'm aware the PSVita version forces everything to low quality DXT though.

It can be, but after going one by one with the textures of the txd.img and applying the DXT 1/3/5 compression the game runs about 15fps slower and with constant stuttering.

I have checked the PS2 textures that occupy approximately the same and those are in PAL 4/8 palette, so maybe Vita uses the same.

For exaple

• PS Vita 3d8ball.txd is 4.096 bytes
  • PC 3d8ball.txd with DXT1 is 4.096 bytes
  • PS2 3d8ball.txd with PAL4 is 4.096 bytes
  • PC 3d8ball.txd with PAL4 is 4.392 bytes
Edited by ALCAMJI

We're using DXT on vita.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys help with my big problem, about texture issue (alpha) the hair of the model looks transparent. How do you make it normal?

I'm porting models in deviant art (i'm using blender btw)

Example:

Untitled.png

Edited by MAGNUMCHOCO
  • KEKW 1
  • 3 months later...
DragonYisusXD

what's going on with Magic.TXD, everytime i'm trying to replace one of the CJ clothes texture, it just glitch with sh*tless CJ, i'm the only one who got this ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...