3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why does everyone hate Michael?

sneakyboi23334

sneakyboi23334

Sure he betrayed his best friend and got Brad killed, but think of it like this.

Trevor was crazy and he had nothing to lose, while Michael had a family he cared about, and he had to leave the crime life for their safety, what would you do in this situation? You can't just go the police station and tell the cops you're becoming a good man and leaving scores.

Michael made a deal with Dave Norton, but did Dave just accept the deal and let Michael walk free? He had a life too, so he thought his carrier would become extremely amazing if he killed one of the most wanted criminals in America, so at the end of the deal, both Michael and Dave were going to have a good life, but things went wrong, Brad was walking so fast and he blocked the bullet that was going to hit Trevor, and then 10 years later, because of Michael's stupidity, Trevor found Michael.

Do you still hate Michael?

Edited by The Lone Spirit

I don't think everyone hates Michael, well I don't but Michael is always complaining about things his family, his shrink, the boat accident, him getting involved with the government or Trevor. He is never positive and he never tries to change things. He could try and better his life, but no. He cheated and had sex with prostitutes and basically never blinked an eye to Tracey and James which caused that Tracey is having a food disorder and forcing herself to throw up in the bathroom and James using drugs in his room while playing video games. I mean what kind of father would you be to let your children smoke drugs in your house?

• Like 1

sneakyboi23334

sh*t... you're right. lol

btw I know it's pretty off-topic, but during the flashback scene, who was saying "You wanna live? Tell me you wanna live! We'll work this out"? Was he Dave?

FranklinsIron

Probably because he reminds themselves, of well themselves. Out the trio, Trevor is the most genuine and loyalist to people he considers in his circle. Michael is the most selfish, and lives in his own world genuinely believing what he does is right. Franklin is the most distant to any emotion ie all about the money and his attachment to everyone is artifical.

But.. Like em all. All unique and different when you look at a different perspective. The characters are what you make them at the end of the day. Michael is no different to Tony Soprano (minus the snitching bollox, personality wise no different) and he was loved..

• Like 2

lol why? for having nothing to do with the actual story?

Definitely one of the reasons I disliked him (he was also really bland).

Anyway most people like Michael a lot. He is always leading in popularity polls etc. and was generally well received. Trevor was way more divisive and Franklin was just ok.

I personally like Michael a lot and consider him to be the one of the best GTA protagonists. A realistic and very flawed character but thats what makes him interesting. I don't blame him for betraying Trevor and Brad.

Trevor was overall too cartoonish for me and Franklin just boring

Edited by Journey_95

The Dedito Gae

He's a boring cliche, an angry middle aged dad with a annoying family, he just ... whines and moans to his psychiatrist (or everyone he knows) and does f*cking yoga, he's so f*cking mundane on every level.

At first i thought he was ok (even though i wasn't fond of playing as him and missions centered around him) but the more and more i replayed V, the more i realized how much of a boring and unlikeable turd he is, i really have a hard time to find a quality i like about him.

• Like 3

The majority of the complaints I've seen were because he's a snake who sold out his best friend, and when it comes to GTA that is supr srs stuff nd u can't b doing stough like tht. Regardless that Claude literally f*cked over practically everyone he came in contact with, but since this is the new GTA it's cool to hate it :)

Edited by cp1dell

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My least favourite character was actually Franklin.

Sure he brought back the 'Gangsta' element, but he was definitely no CJ.

He just complained a lot.

I liked the Michael and Trevor storyline better. Franklin was just a 'let's keep the fans happy' character.

I mean, he doesn't even fulfil his main goal of being in the game, which is setting up his own heist. They talked about it at the beginning, and made out like he was gonna become a big kingpin bank robber, but nope. He doesn't. He just eats chips and irons his shirts, simetimes he gets drunk, but sh*t he ain't getting drunker.

theGTAking101

Michael was the best character in all of V. He's my second favorite GTA character of all time.

Sure he betrayed his best friend and got Brad killed, but think of it like this.

Trevor was crazy and he had nothing to lose, while Michael had a family he cared about, and he had to leave the crime life for their safety, what would you do in this situation? You can't just go the police station and tell the cops you're becoming a good man and leaving scores.

Michael made a deal with Dave Norton, but did Dave just accept the deal and let Michael walk free? He had a life too, so he thought his carrier would become extremely amazing if he killed one of the most wanted criminals in America, so at the end of the deal, both Michael and Dave were going to have a good life, but things went wrong, Brad was walking so fast and he blocked the bullet that was going to hit Trevor, and then 10 years later, because of Michael's stupidity, Trevor found Michael.

Contrary to the relatively few dissenters in this forum, not a lot of people hate Michael. Like all GTA characters, he is a criminal, not a "nice person,: and he is the typical GTA anti-hero. Great character. Awesomely written, and excellent voice acting.

• Like 3

TommyMontana

Contrary to the relatively few dissenters in this forum, not a lot of people hate Michael. Like all GTA characters, he is a criminal, not a "nice person,: and he is the typical GTA anti-hero. Great character. Awesomely written, and excellent voice acting.

The unique real anti-hero in GTA story is Niko,i can't see another life for him,different from the others,who become criminals only for the money or the power,they have the possibility for honest life,but prefer the criminal.

Michael isn't different: He is a selfish Judas,he put the guilty for is miserable emotional life in everybody he knows,but is incapable of recognizing his own mistakes. Trevor is a socipath. Franklin is a boring criminal,Carl Johnson is waaay more interesting than,even Lamar would be a better and more interesting protagonist.

FranklinsIron

The majority of the complaints I've seen were because he's a snake who sold out his best friend, and when it comes to GTA that is supr srs stuff nd u can't b doing stough like tht. Regardless that Claude literally f*cked over practically everyone he came in contact with, but since this is the new GTA it's cool to hate it :)

Claude only f*cked over people, who was about to f*ck him over. Especially after being f*cked over, wasn't taking that chance. He was loyal to certain people(from what I remember), ie the female yakuza general, forgot her name. (Work for her when you get to stauton island?). So don't put claude and Micheal in same boat.

You saying that though, you are right there. He's a snitch, no way round it. Set up his best pal. In any GTA (and real life really), he deserves death. The fact they made that a trait, is terrible terrible decision..

Should of made it, he gets caught, pretends to setup his friends (or goes prison) warns Trevor etc he's going away for a long time, Feds caught him, this next job is the getaway job blah blah). He still gets to go los santos for the arc, Trevor can still be kind of pissed because let's say M didn't say where he was going, brad gets killed by accident leaving Trevor with anger and why Micheal disappeared without telling him.. BUT.. Stops the "he ratted and snaked his friends out" trait, that's plain wrong..

• Like 1

PhillBellic

I don't hate Michael. Out of the three, he was my preferred Protagonist.

• Like 1

Cheatz/Trickz

Michael's the most liked, a lot of people hate Trevor, but i'd say most people just think Franklin isn't even worth liking or hating.

Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Like 1

FroudeyBrand

I don't know who it was but with Michael.... you can belive Franklin would car jack folk and get involved in shootings based on the black man sterotype, Trevor is just a crazy c*nt but Michael is former bank robber someone that would plan stuff down to a tee (as pre the missions etc) and wouldn't really draw attention to himself by stealing cars, shooting people etc....

My two cents

The unique real anti-hero in GTA story is Niko,i can't see another life for him,different from the others,who become criminals only for the money or the power,they have the possibility for honest life,but prefer the criminal.

Michael isn't different: He is a selfish Judas,he put the guilty for is miserable emotional life in everybody he knows,but is incapable of recognizing his own mistakes. Trevor is a socipath. Franklin is a boring criminal

NIko? Single most forgettable, unsympathetic character in the series. Boring, annoying, and.....

should have shared Johnny K's fate!

V's characters are colorful, charismatic, and full of life. Yes, they are all flawed, particularly Trevor and Michael, but that's what makes them so awesome as criminal protagonists. People don't play GTA because they want sunshine & puppies from the lead characters. They want backstabbing, duplicity, and great personalities, obviously not counting Fido who didn't speak. lol

Edited by ChiroVette

Fuzzknuckles

Personally I hate Michael because he starts out as a vaguely interesting character with a vaguely interesting past, but by the end of the game, he's become a venomous, spoiled little prick who believes he's more than he really is. Time and time again, I've mentioned the transition animation of him leaving the studios, berating the poor security guard and telling him "I'm your boss" etc. What a prick. You loaned some money to Solomon and now you're acting like a major Hollywood player? You're not even employed by the studio, so you're not that guys boss. You're just a jumped up little prick.

I hate Michael because he's a jumped up little prick.

I initially started out hating Trevor and thinking he was the worst game protag of all time. While I largely believe that to be true still, I think Michael is a pretty close second. Characters should have at least some redeeming quality, something that makes them a sympathetic character. Even the most hardened protags from super-violent games make me feel a little something that makes me warm to them, but Michael? Nothing. An irredeemably awful person, who actually gets worse throughout the game. I was genuinely rooting for the other team when he's strung up in the meat packing plant.

• Like 1
Signatures are dumb anyway.

PhillBellic

I initially started out hating Trevor and thinking he was the worst game protag of all time. While I largely believe that to be true still, I think Michael is a pretty close second. Characters should have at least some redeeming quality, something that makes them a sympathetic character. Even the most hardened protags from super-violent games make me feel a little something that makes me warm to them, but Michael? Nothing. An irredeemably awful person, who actually gets worse throughout the game.

I was genuinely rooting for the other team when he's strung up in the meat packing plant.

Did you intentionally fail that Mission multiple times, so you could see Michael suffer?

Fuzzknuckles

Nah, blasted my way through using Frank as much as possible, as quickly as possible. The less time I spend playing as Michael, the better, and repeated fails would just lengthen the punishment of playing as him.

Maibatsu545

He's a mid-west white trash rageagolic douchebag who got extremely lucky, yet even then he won't stop bitching. Even after the story when he's pulled off the biggest heist in the world he still acts like an asshole. He's a prick. A far cry from the savvy ex-gangster we thought we were getting in the narration of trailer 1.

• Like 2

Fuzzknuckles

He's a mid-west white trash rageagolic douchebag who got extremely lucky, yet even then he won't stop bitching. Even after the story when he's pulled off the biggest heist in the world he still acts like an asshole. He's a prick. A far cry from the savvy ex-gangster we thought we were getting in the narration of trailer 1.

^ This.

I thought Balcony Guy was going to be a much older, more interesting character than the one we eventually got. Someone wise, someone who commanded respect, rather than demanded it. I really thought he was going to be the antagonist initially, which might have made him more interesting.

• Like 1

BoobieDroogie

I like Micheal, he's not my favorite but he is still pretty good. I don't like Franklin, He is just so generic when it comes to the GTA series. Trevor and Micheal bring something different to the table.

TheRockfordGuy

Michael is my favorite GTA character , next to Carl Johnson . He's my number one ! He isn't perfect person , he is full of mental and physic weaknesses , and that makes him perfect for me . The voice acting is superb , real , engaging and emotional . Ned Luke did the job better than some actors in real big budget movies ... Trevor is ok , cool to say , in some strange way ... but Franklin ? He is like Niko Belic ... Doing stuff 'cose he's told so . Like he is brainless ... Very bland , poor character . When he was chasing Michael to shoot him , he was like : " Why are you running , come back , don't go ?!?!?!??? Where you're think you're going ? Stop now ?!?!?!??? The last mission should be option C . Not cose i care about the rest of the characters , but because options A and B are so dark and sad , in a bad way . The script for dialogs in options A and B is soooo bad , that i think that it just came in the last moment and rushed so fast ... Even Franklin going on Trevor i can digest , but going on Michael ? Story-wise and gameplay-wise , very bad . So , Michael is the most realistic and the most interesting character for me. Who can hate him ? Why ? He's more mature then the rest of the characters and the oldest too. He's not some 20-something Carl Johnson rolling in da hood . He's what he's meant to be ...

Edited by TheRockfordGuy

Cheatz/Trickz

Michael is the average American.

Mentally unstable former bank robbers in WitSec common over there are they?

• Like 3

sneakyboi23334

The script for dialogs in options A and B is soooo bad , that i think that it just came in the last moment and rushed so fast ... .

I agree with that, If you're going to kill someone why don't you just shoot them instead of talking with them for 3 minutes?