2. Support

3. Suggestions

Should FPS have auto aim?

American Viking

Auto-aim for FPS  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should FPS have auto aim?

American Viking

Here's the thing, I really enjoy many first person shooters but I find it very difficult to aim using a controller...a problem not shared by PC players. Therefore, I'd love for first person shooters to incorporate an auto aim feature exactly like GTA. Although many FPS do have assisted aim I find it of little use and still end up using the "snap to" feature the whole game just so I can hit what I'm looking at.

I see no reason at all that they couldn't put this in games...and make games like COD, MOH, and FC all the better for us console players. You could make the argument that it would make the game too easy...but playing on harder difficulty levels could alleviate that, and besides, who ever said games HAVE to be super challenging. I don't think it would take away but only enhance my experience with FPS. What's your take?

I've never had a problem aiming in FPS games on console, if anything I tend to do better with a Xbox or Playstation controller but that might be because I grew up playing games with a controller on not keyboard and mouse.

Any FPS with multiplayer would be a complete farce if it had auto-aim.

Assisted aim is already pushing the boundaries of acceptability as is.

Should platformers have jump-assist?

Should fighting games have an auto-combo button?

who ever said games HAVE to be super challenging. I don't think it would take away but only enhance my experience with FPS. What's your take?

To me, FPS games are a very competitive genre; every game there will be winners and losers. The outcome should not be based on who could get the game to snap to their targets the fastest but rather who has the better hand-eye coordination to become an efficient player.

And the excuse of "Well, you see, I have a "life". I don't have time to spend 100's of hours learning X Y or Z to get decent at it." Is starting to become obsolete as well, with plenty of games now featuring matchmaking to pair you up with and against players of your similar skill.

Edited by Ruin
  • Like 3

No game should ever have auto-aim, or aim assist, at the very least for Multiplayer. We're not on PS1's with controllers that don't have sticks anymore.

Keep it for Easy difficulty Co-op, but never for Competitive game modes. Git gud or go home.

Edited by B Dawg

Sticky aim is just fine. Auto aim butchers multiplayer PvP, look at the cartwheeling f*ck fest you get in R* shooters.

Richard Power Colt

Well I wouldn't use it, but I don't see why it couldn't be an option in singleplayer games. In pvp multiplayer I do agree that it would be garbage.

Shadowfennekin

Single player games, yes.

Multiplayer, NO. I don't play any MP outside of GTA O but even I know auto aim would be stupid for FP

• Like 1

John The Grudge

I think it's difficult to get it close to realistic in a situation where we're using a stick to move our head. The reason is because in real life we have hand to eye coordination. Auto-aim is too easy and free aim can never be as fast as our hand to eye coordination allows us to be. I suppose the only thing that matters is our enjoyment so no I never use auto-aim because it's boring. Why would you want the game to play itself?

No. Aim assist works and auto aim I don't think would improve a game in any way. Personally, I would rather have no aiming assistance at all, but most people disagree.

I'm pretty sure COD already has auto-aim in Campaign mode. It may not be as drastic as GTA's, but it's certainly there.

But like Coin said, as far as MP is concerned, it would completely defeat the purpose of playing the game competitively. A player's skill is based on how well you they can aim.

Edited by X S

I find it awkward to use in GTA and I'd find it awkward to use in other games as well.

We already have aim assist (and bullet magnetism, in some games). Full auto-aim would be insanity, though I don't see how adding it as an option in singleplayer games would do any harm, besides extra development time being spent on it.

Single player modes yes, online f*ck no.

EqqGXy2.gif

Don Z McHenry

Assisted aim is tolerable in a game like GTA, but in an actual shooter? No, it just wouldn't work. Ever. At least not for me.

Even in GTA, I play free aim all of the time, though. I've never preferred the game to do the work for me.

• Like 1

Assisted aim is tolerable in a game like GTA

Not even in GTA in my opinion.

• Like 2

Jitterdoomer

Assisted Aim is only dependant for consoles because they have analog stick to aim a weapon which is hard to do it.

Uncle Sikee Atric

With consoles, I can see the benefit of auto aim, but I feel devs are far too generous with correction boxes for the auto-aim system to lock on. You should at least make an effort to aim in the general direction of your intended target before it kicks in.

Personally I am a PC player, so it has been mouse, keyboard and no auto-aim since the nineties for me, but consoles should at least offer the chance to turn it off, or disable it as the difficulty setting rises....

MOaRJRr.jpg

either stop being a noob and turn off aim assist, or stop being a peasant and get a PC with a keyboard and mouse :D

Edited by Niobium

American Viking

After reading the replies to this topic, it seems apparent that a lot of you have forgot that video games are meant to be FUN...not a chore. So, if I could turn on auto aim and have fun with it, what's wrong with that? Now I don't play online but I can understand why you'd frown on something like that in competitive play, but I see no problem at all with it in single player...especially if it's optional.

it should be optional so that everyone is happy.

i guess that counts as a "yes."

Edited by Niobium

If you need to use auto aim in a game you should probably go the f*ck back to N64.

Then again auto aim in a game is also a failure of the developer, not being able to program controls properly so you don't need it.

Naughty Dog games for example, headshots with a controller are an absolute breeze.
Whereas trying to even shoot someone in GTA V on a console with free aim is like trying to lift an elephant with your ass while singing old macdonald.

Edited by Freakorama
  • Like 2

If you need to use auto aim in a game you should probably go the f*ck back to N64.

Then again auto aim in a game is also a failure of the developer, not being able to program controls properly so you don't need it.

Naughty Dog games for example, headshots with a controller are an absolute breeze.

Whereas trying to even shoot someone in GTA V on a console with free aim is like trying to lift and elephant with your ass while singing old macdonald.

That's something I've been saying for a while now. The aiming in V is terrible, it's floaty and the lack of aim assist (not auto aim) combined with basic features like shoulder swap and crouch missing makes it frustrating.

it seems apparent that a lot of you have forgot that video games are meant to be FUN

Implying that developing skills can't be a fun learning process, and that playing in a competitive environment is non-enjoyable.

So, if I could turn on auto aim and have fun with it, what's wrong with that?

Nothing, but you were asking for peoples' opinions. You got them.

Or were you asking for agreement?

Edited by Ruin

American Viking

it seems apparent that a lot of you have forgot that video games are meant to be FUN

Implying that developing skills can't be a fun learning process, and that playing in a competitive environment is non-enjoyable.

So, if I could turn on auto aim and have fun with it, what's wrong with that?

Nothing, but you were asking for peoples' opinions. You got them.

Or were you asking for agreement?

I've implied no such thing. Sure developing skills can be part of the fun but take into account the individual that doesn't have hours and hours to develop these skills but still wants to enjoy a game from time to time, also take into account the individual who plays games more for the "ride along" and doesn't need to give himself a pat on the back by being a controller marksman. Point being not everyone is as gung ho about gaming as you seem to be.

And to the other point, sounds like you're just trying to start something with those wiseguy cracks. All opinions are welcome but I will counter them with my own.

Jerking For Soup

I personally believe FPS games should not have auto-aim. Auto-aim is fine and balanced In games like GTA, but in Battlefield, Battlefront and COD, I don't think they'd work so well.

GTA is about killing, yes, but if you play the game you'll find you can't crouch, and the game is way different to an FPS. For example, players have more health, move faster and shoot faster than normal AI. Also, players are arranged into different lobbies depending on aiming-style.

FPS games, would be way too easy IMO if they included auto-aim. Players are equivalent to AI and would be killed way too quickly by auto-aim like AI.

Edited by - Ballistics -

Sure developing skills can be part of the fun but take into account the individual that doesn't have hours and hours to develop these skills but still wants to enjoy a game from time to time, also take into account the individual who plays games more for the "ride along" and doesn't need to give himself a pat on the back by being a controller marksman. Point being not everyone is as gung ho about gaming as you seem to be.

What the hell did I just say earlier?

the excuse of "Well, you see, I have a "life". I don't have time to spend 100's of hours learning X Y or Z to get decent at it." Is starting to become obsolete as well, with plenty of games now featuring matchmaking to pair you up with and against players of your similar skill.

Jesus...

And demanding that both dedicated players and casuals have the same odds at facing each other is unfair and eliminates any notion of competitive play. There's no inner-reward for being the victor if it's attributed to an aim-bot doing the work for you.

And to the other point, sounds like you're just trying to start something with those wiseguy cracks. All opinions are welcome but I will counter them with my own.

I was genuinely curious since your initial reaction was condescending towards the majority of replies.

Meh, what does it matter anyway, not like you're going to read this topic anymore.

SapphireCrystal

For singleplayer games, absolutely. For multiplayer no. Auto aim pretty much ruined COD on consoles which is now "mash the aim trigger and have yourself a legit aimbot" simulator.

This cringeworthy topic has spread to the gaming section...

FPS with assisted aim (all it does is barely slow down movement when the crosshairs are pointed at an enemy) which is typically found on console shooters barely provides any advantage to those who do not have it enabled. As an avid console FPS player with the sensitivity maxed (or near maxed), I actually found that setting a little annoying and I turned it off, but thats player preference. I am still able to go 20-0 (or sometimes 0-20 :p ) regardless of whether its enabled.

This AA vs FA crap needs to stop. This horse has been beaten to a pulp as much as heists. Just get good and stop yr whining

d63e9e08366fdc.gif?dl=true

Edited by Dottie

Auto aim, can't imagine how that can make one feel like one has been gaming, might as well watch a movie, you'll be having fun though, never want to see this in competitive play.

Lock-aim, like in AC games works well even online, free-aim no assist is all good, takes the cake in my opinion. At least that keeps the gamer the decisive factor of whom or what or when to target, and targets that are first unseen or hidden remain unrevealed.

:rampage: "iTRiP" :rampage:

Edited by iTRiP