3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

The Mysterious One

Scarface: The World is Yours

The Mysterious One

What were your thoughts about this game? I remember when I saw a story about this game in EGM in 2005 and thought to myself "Huh? Seriously?" At that time I was skeptical about movie-based video games, and even I wondered about the story considering Tony Montana was alive in it, until I read that the story was in a what-if scenario that had him survive and fight off all of Sosa's henchmen and had him rebuild his empire. I bought the game in 2008 when it was a Greatest Hit title and I found myself enjoying the game.

However, I had a few problems with the game, like when you had to fast talk a cop or a thug, or even when you had to deposit the money to the bank. Also, I didn't like the fact that even though you could wipe out the rival gangs, when you distributed the drugs, the gangs still come after you. Not to mention when you have unwanted police and gang attention, you have to pay the vice cops a large sum of money to get them off your back (At that rate, it's enough to put those cops through an early retirement).

Other than that, I still enjoyed the game. What did you think of it?

Th3MaN1

Definitely an underrated gem.

It's not a game that tries too hard, and that's why it's good. It did what it set out to do perfectly, and that was to show us what you said: a what-if scenario.

I was a bit bummed when I first saw the movie and got through it, for obvious reasons. So this game hit the sweet spot for me perfectly. And it didn't feel tackled on in the story department - it has the right pace, the story is well written and the game itself is really fun.

Of course it's not without its faults, but f*ck me if I didn't have a lot of fun with it.

DareYokel

I replayed it like a month ago or less. I love it.

I like all of those things that you don't like because they add a fair bit of challenge to the game and since the game is pretty much all about making money, it was a really good idea to implement mechanics that had the potential to cost you more or less depending on how you preform. And when you're forced to pay for bribes to lower your heat with cops and gangs it doesn't feel good. And that's a good thing. More open world games should do that kind of stuff. A large chunk of them barely have a decent failure state.

kBlaise

Played it a few years ago on PS2. Damn, it was fun. I wish it would find its way into the library of PS4 or XB1 somehow.

angeldust

I though it was really good on PS2 although the PC port controls/mechanics are a little f*cked up

Freakorama

I tried playing it through twice.

I always got to a point where I had absolutely no idea how to progress and just gave up.
I had no idea how you were supposed to unlock more missions.

angeldust

You had to take over more turf by dealing right?

Shenmue18

It's been a long time since I've played the game, but I remember it being pretty good, especially the guy who voiced Tony really did a good job sounding like Al Pacino.

luisniko

It's been a long time since I've played the game, but I remember it being pretty good, especially the guy who voiced Tony really did a good job sounding like Al Pacino.

Yeah. I watched the movie first before I remembered there was this game a decade ago.

When I checked it out on Youtube, damn... the voice actor did a good job!

Sunrise Driver

Pity they cancelled this on Xbox360.

ClaudeSpeed1911

This really was the best, it did everything right and was one of the best movie licensed games.

DEALUX

Too bad you can't run this game on modern hardware, at least not at 60 FPS.

DareYokel

Too bad you can't run this game on modern hardware, at least not at 60 FPS.

3D Ripper DX is what you want to use to run Scarface on a modern machine. I said that I replayed it a month ago. I did that on a modern gaming PC with Windows 10. At 60 fps.

DEALUX

f*ck me. Are there any instructions that I can follow? I've been meaning to play this game for a while. I couldn't figure out how to make it run properly.

Nicole_T_21

But the world is not mine 🌚

Edited by Nicole_T_21

Michael

Some years ago I recieved this game from my parents and I really liked this game. The graphics were good and I just liked driving around the city and going to the islands. I agree with Th3MaN1, this game is definitely an underrated gem.

angeldust

The more I remember it I really liked the whole mansion customization thing that was rad

stanky77

When my kids are playing the ps4, I'm usually playing this on the xbox 360. I love starting from the bottom and making my way to the top.

Mr. Scratch

I just went in and killed everyone. And remember the rage mode? Rockstar definitely didn't straight up rip it off in V...

Th3MaN1

I just went in and killed everyone. And remember the rage mode? Rockstar definitely didn't straight up rip it off in V...

Come on dude. It was almost totally different - rage in Scarface is much more fun. Infinite ammo, and all you had to do was just hold down the fire button.

DareYokel

Yeah just Google it. People have been using that solution for a while now.

Here it is: http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/scarface-the-world-is-yours-2/

I remember this guide. It totally doesn't work...unless you are really lucky. All I see in the game is polygons, the same as running the game normally.

It works. Are you sure you read the whole thing about 3D Ripper DX? You're supposed to launch the game through that program every time, not through the actual game executable.

Download 3D Ripper DX.

2. While installing, Select 3DS MAX 9x 32-bit and press Next.

3. Check all the checkboxes on page 2 of installation.

4. Skip the last page and continue to install.

5. Launch 3D Ripper DX.

6. Where it says "Please select DirectX 6/8/9 application to analyze"(the first option at the top), press the folder to the right of it, find the Scarface folder you have installed on your drive and select Scarface.exe.

7. Press "Launch" at the bottom right of the program.

Edited by The Yokel

BUT THE BENZ

wasn't this game a nintendo wii exclusive? I've only played it on that console, yeeeears ago when it was new, at a friend's place. maybe 1 hour in total so I can't say I really know what is going on further down the road. but from the bits I recall it was fun indeed. you had to shake that "nun-chuck"?! in order to make tony swear and fill up the rage bar, so you could go into something like a madness mode where you just fired away and could take hit after hit like it was nothing. that was really awesome, kinda like in the movie climax, to that point where the story of the game, the what-if-tony-survived-scenario, begins.

has there been a sort of re-release these days?

thesnowyguitar

I absolutely loved Scarface on the PS2. My only real gripe about it was that it became repetitive, such as: Do a job, buy coke, deliver the coke, pick up money from businesses while gang members try to stop you. Eventually, you had to do it several times just to buy 1 front, and you had to take over every area completely to progress the story. When you spend like 45 minutes just doing one rotation of the do a job, buy the coke, deliver coke, pick money up, it got to repetitive for me. Took too long just to unlock a story mission. Getting the coke from the islands and into miami harbor was pretty annoying as pirates and coast guard were literally everywhere. I did have a blast with the game, though. Definitely deserves more recognition.

B Dawg

I absolutely loved Scarface on the PS2. My only real gripe about it was that it became repetitive, such as: Do a job, buy coke, deliver the coke, pick up money from businesses while gang members try to stop you. Eventually, you had to do it several times just to buy 1 front, and you had to take over every area completely to progress the story. When you spend like 45 minutes just doing one rotation of the do a job, buy the coke, deliver coke, pick money up, it got to repetitive for me. Took too long just to unlock a story mission. Getting the coke from the islands and into miami harbor was pretty annoying as pirates and coast guard were literally everywhere. I did have a blast with the game, though. Definitely deserves more recognition.

Still better than Grand Retirement Simulator 5

DEALUX

Yeah just Google it. People have been using that solution for a while now.

Here it is: http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/scarface-the-world-is-yours-2/

I remember this guide. It totally doesn't work...unless you are really lucky. All I see in the game is polygons, the same as running the game normally.

It works. Are you sure you read the whole thing about 3D Ripper DX? You're supposed to launch the game through that program every time, not through the actual game executable.

Download 3D Ripper DX.

2. While installing, Select 3DS MAX 9x 32-bit and press Next.

3. Check all the checkboxes on page 2 of installation.

4. Skip the last page and continue to install.

5. Launch 3D Ripper DX.

6. Where it says "Please select DirectX 6/8/9 application to analyze"(the first option at the top), press the folder to the right of it, find the Scarface folder you have installed on your drive and select Scarface.exe.

7. Press "Launch" at the bottom right of the program.

Yep. I followed the steps and it doesn't work. Curiously enough, disabling all CPU cores except one also doesn't work. I mean it works at first but then the graphics start to go crazy less than five minutes into the game.

DareYokel

Maybe it doesn't work on Nvidia cards. That's too bad then. You can try to get the Wii version and run it through Dolphin emulator I guess.

angeldust

iirc the furthest I ever got on this was the one mission where you gotta snipe a bar owner, could never do that one.

Queen

I really f*cking loved this game as a kid. One of my fondest memories was being eaten by a shark.