2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
born2fart

Converting Steam-GTAV to Rockstar-GTAV (and back again)

born2fart

A friend of mine owns a copy of Grand Theft Auto V and wants to play it on my more powerful rig. His copy is just the standard Rockstar version you download with their custom launcher; my version is the one I bought on Steam (which obviously you download via the Steam client.) It turns out neither of us could just input our login information and play because the Steam files and Rockstar files are somehow totally different.

I don't know which files are different exactly, even after doing this trick. But I have developed a technique to alternate between the Rockstar Version and Steam Version if you ever need to change between the two.

If you want to go from Steam-GTAV to Rockstar-GTA, do the following steps:

1. Go to your Steam directory for Grand Theft Auto V (Program Files - Steam - steamapps - Common - Grand Theft Auto V)

2. Delete everything except the .rpf files and the folders. You may need to delete 'x64a.rpf' for some reason (or store it somewhere else.)

3. Download the Rockstar game client download (available via the Social Club website, click on the little gear beside your name and Game Downloads)

4. Use the .exe you just downloaded to Repair the files.

5. Launch with PlayGTAV.exe

If you want to go from Rockstar-GTA to Steam-GTAV , do the following steps:

1. Go to your game directory, wherever you saved it. I assume this will be Program Files, under Rockstar Games or Grand Theft Auto V.

2. Delete everything except the .rpf files and the folders. You may need to delete 'x64a.rpf' for some reason (or store it somewhere else.)

3. Select Grand Theft Auto V in your Steam directory and begin to install it. Then stop this installation.

4. Copy all your game files into Program Files - Steam - steamapps - Common - Grand Theft Auto V.

5. Resume installation. It shouldn't download anything more, but it may add a few more files.

6. Right click Grand Theft Auto V in your Steam games list, click Properties, click Local Files and then click Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

7. Wait for it to verify and download whatever it needs to replace (this could take a while.)

tofrus

thanks alot for this man, i really appreacite it.

davedumas0

no longer works the site asks me to download with steam

⁣V⁣

What is the actual difference between the two?

If you launch Steam in offline mode, the game launches in offline mode as well.

You can't launch the Steam version from the GTAVLauncher, only from the Steam library.

That's about it. I can't think of other differences.

kringled

Authentication maybe? The steam version seems to want to use your steam id as part of the login process.

⁣V⁣

I don't know about that. Steam just opens the GTAVLauncher and the launcher takes care of the rest.

Both have the same Achievements and if you buy the game from Steam it tells your to copy over the CD Key to the launcher when it starts.

One thing I prefer Steam over Rockstar is the updates. Steam downloads updates as soon as they're available and the Launcher downloads them when you start it.

SoDank_ItPainsMe

The only files you need to swap out are these.

322e580d9771926cdb3ed2e3f402f7a7.png

The executables are different depending on whether you have the SC version or the Steam. The RSC version has 1 more executable, and to launch the RSC version you would use PlayGTAV.exe

You do not need to delete ANY other files, to revert the process simply paste back in your original Steam version executables.

If you need a copy of the 1.39 SC files I can provide them easily enough.

Skare6801

I would like those files if you could link em to me

wizooord

I actually have a question related, i remember when playing certain steam games (cs, dirty bomb, others) you could change your nick at will through steam overlay, is this the case with GTA as well?

Verstappen

Your nickname is your RSC, not steam in GTA Online. At least it is for the non steam version I'm using.

⁣V⁣

Okay, so okay if I bought the game on Steam, do I need Steam to play it? When I start it through the launcher it says "The game was not launched via the Steam Client".

Can I use this and just start it from the launcher?

3. Download the Rockstar game client download (available via the Social Club website, click on the little gear beside your name and Game Downloads)

When I do this it says: "You will need to download the game through Steam." Edited by --V--

lethalshark

So if you have the Steam Version and your main rockstar account is banned, will this allow you to use a new rockstar account (with GTA purchased on it) and still be able to use the steam launcher?

Convultus

So if you have the Steam Version and your main rockstar account is banned, will this allow you to use a new rockstar account (with GTA purchased on it) and still be able to use the steam launcher?

If you mean the RGSC account that is linked to your Steam account is banned, and you made a new RGSC account and bought GTA 5 RGSC version... no but you can add it as a non-Steam game so you can have the overlay.

SaiyanGoku

Hi.

I would like to convert my steam GTAV to the SC version, but so far I'm having no luck.

Every time I go to the Rockstar download/activation page, I press download for windows and it says: "You will need to download the game through Steam.".

I've googled it, and I keep ending up in the same place.

I've deleted the steam executables, and even tried deleting all but the RPFs but to no avail.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Gaffa
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SaiyanGoku said:

Hi.

I would like to convert my steam GTAV to the SC version, but so far I'm having no luck.

Every time I go to the Rockstar download/activation page, I press download for windows and it says: "You will need to download the game through Steam.".

I've googled it, and I keep ending up in the same place.

I've deleted the steam executables, and even tried deleting all but the RPFs but to no avail.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

The only differences that I know between the Social Club (Warehouse) version and Steam version are: 

GTA5.exe
GTAVLauncher.exe
update.rpf

By the way, you can't just convert to the Social Club version if you bought the Steam version but have some issues with Steam, or if the Steam account got banned or anything - you'll need to have a Social Club license of the game to be able to play via the Social Club exe's. That's because the Steam game needs to be launched through Steam for its authentication. 

Edited by Gaffa

SaiyanGoku
1 hour ago, Gaffa said:

The only differences that I know between the Social Club (Warehouse) version and Steam version are: 

GTA5.exe
GTAVLauncher.exe
update.rpf

By the way, you can't just convert to the Social Club version if you bought the Steam version but have some issues with Steam, or if the Steam account got banned or anything - you'll need to have a Social Club license of the game to be able to play via the Social Club exe's. That's because the Steam game needs to be launched through Steam for its authentication. 

So I'm guessing the people in other similar topics I've visited have payed licences for both versions?

I just wanted to convert to the SC version to avoid the steam verification, and I just thought there would be a way from what I've heard to convert it, minus the fact that I have to have two licences.

Looks like I'm gunna have to spend money on the same game :d

Gaffa
6 minutes ago, SaiyanGoku said:

So I'm guessing the people in other similar topics I've visited have payed licences for both versions?

I just wanted to convert to the SC version to avoid the steam verification, and I just thought there would be a way from what I've heard to convert it, minus the fact that I have to have two licences.

Looks like I'm gunna have to spend money on the same game :d

Yes. 
9 times out of 10 (I would bet money on it) people want to do it because they get banned on their Steam copy of the game and because you'd have to create a whole new Steam account if you wanted the Steam version again, people just opt for the (often cheaper) Warehouse / Social Club version, and thus, convert their Steam installation to the SC. 

And remember, if you buy the game again you'll be starting again on a fresh account, because you must go through Steam to make use of the character created for use with the Steam account.