2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

stef_92

The purpose of Mr. Whoopee

stef_92

After completing Vice City probably many of you have decided to try if Mr. Whoopee in GTA3 can be used in a similar way. I remember when I decided to try it. I tapped the horn button in order to start the famous Mr Whoopee melody. People started walking towards the van but after reaching it they simply turned around and walked away without giving any money. I was so disappointed. I asked myself what is the purpose of it anyways if you can't use it to sell ice cream, drugs ot whatever.

I wonder if R* had something in mind by making this. Were you supposed to be able to use it like you do in Vice City? I hope if some people who have spent more time looking at the mission script have found anything interesting related to Mr Whoopee. Maybe there is something like leftover from unfinished feature.

The other thing I wonder is if there is any way to create a mod which simply adds a sub-mission to this vehicle (just like police or taxi) and you can actually sell ice cream.

Cameron

It's used in an El Burro mission to attract and kill a group of Forellis, that's its purpose I guess.

Edited by lazy.

stef_92

It's used in an El Burro mission to attract and kill a group of Forellis, that's its purpose I guess.

Well I wanted to say what's its purpose besides the mission I scream You scream, my bad

Cameron

Well I wanted to say what's its purpose besides the mission I scream You scream, my bad

I feel like it never had a purpose, it was just a cool vehicle to add. An ice cream truck goes well with the cold rainy atmosphere of LC.

SpooferJahk

To humorously have an Ice Cream truck in such a ruthless city.

PhillBellic

I think that besides for the Mission it's used in, it's just a fun novelty Vehicle.

xNCx

I've just had a quick look into the main.scm.

1. There are no Distribution-like sidemissions left-overs.

2. Rockstar programmers included Mr. Whoopee in only two missions - I scream, you scream and one for Luigi where you pick up Misty*.

I'm convinced pedestrians running towards the car was made just because of the El Burro mission, as already said. Depending on the possibilities of GTA 3's engine, one can script a Distribution-like mission or even copy-paste it from VC, but I don't have access to my PC now so can't even tell how much would that be possible.

*Rockstar listed Mr. Whoopee as a big vehicle (like a bus) therefore there are some minor, visual differences when picking Misty with it. (The f*ck would someone grab an ice cream van for that?).

Edited by xNCx

PhillBellic

Who here would have liked to sell Ice Cream, even for a bit of fun?

xNCx

Bad news. "Copy-paste" the distribution mission from VC won't work. It turns out that the main part of selling ice cream (when a customer goes towards the van and leave after few seconds) can't be scripted due to III's scm limitations. For example this opcode is missing and it is important. Maybe it can be replaced somehow, but I think it is simply not worth.

I never liked the distribution mission anyway.

Edited by xNCx

stef_92

Well thanks for trying :) I really hoped that something can be done

Rim

Bad news. "Copy-paste" the distribution mission from VC won't work. It turns out that the main part of selling ice cream (when a customer goes towards the van and leave after few seconds) can't be scripted due to III's scm limitations. For example this opcode is missing and it is important. Maybe it can be replaced somehow, but I think it is simply not worth.

I never liked the distribution mission anyway.

Opcode 058B is only important if you want to "copy-paste" the code from Vicy City, but it's really easy to create a workaround.

In fact, Dimzet has already done that. Link.

xNCx

Eset reports this site as malware.

Rim

That's odd, it's probably a false positive.

gts.

Eset reports this site as malware.

ESET here too, but I can view the site without any problem.

xNCx

I was able to open that website ("ignore warning") but after waiting 60 secs before the download, eset blocked the download. According to the placed screenshot - the mod should work, I'm only curious how much is it similar to VC's mission.

universetwisters

It's there to make you go "whopee".

NotFreeman

Mr Whoopee's mission is to be a huge pain in the ass for the people that discovered the import/exports garage after beating i scream you scream, i still love the little truck though 

Dealux

You can get it to spawn pretty easily. Just keep looking away and towards the roads in Chinatown and nearby areas. You can trigger cars to respawn on command this way.

If I remember correctly, I got it to spawn pretty early in my one sitting 100% run that I did recently.

stef_92

I noticed that on mobile Mr Whoopee spawns much more frequently (probably on purpose).

Evil empire

You need to use a Mr Whoopee in "Ice-cream, you scream", it's one of the vehicles you need to export and it brings a certain realism and immersion to the game.

I think these are good justifications for its presence even if you unfortunately can't use it to sell ice-cream like in Vice City.

GTA_CAT

Everybody knows that Mr Whoopees in GTA 3 are cover ups for selling spank😂

NotFreeman
On 8/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, Dealux said:

You can get it to spawn pretty easily. Just keep looking away and towards the roads in Chinatown and nearby areas. You can trigger cars to respawn on command this way.

If I remember correctly, I got it to spawn pretty early in my one sitting 100% run that I did recently.

thanks for the info, but i will never forget how much of a pain it was on my first playthrough 

Dealux

It also frequently spawns during either Firefighter or Vigilante. Blista is a bit harder to come by during these missions but I did acquire one during Vigilante on my pseudo 100% speedrun.