2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA 5 has good music- the real issue is...

ELLIS_T17

The number of pointless radio stations. While having a station like East Los FM is a nice touch, how many people actually listen to it? There's just far too many radio stations that are dedicated to genres of music that no one (or at least the main demographic of GTA players) actually listen to. There's good music, just not enough.

ClaudeSpeed1911

The ones we have now are fine however, we should have had more radio stations for music genres like metal and synthwave.

Femme Fatale

The only good music it has is that of Channel X, but I wish they mad an LS rendition of LCHC, they did it with LRR...

The talk radios in V are absolute trash. Massive step down from the ones of VC and SA.

That's the great thing you always discover new music in GTA's. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others don't.

I discovered quite a few amazing artists via Radio Mirror Park and Vinewood Boulevard Radio.

East Los FM does suck balls indeed, no question about that. I kind of get it why it's in the game, given the west coast theme an ethnic radio makes sense - still, every second of it is annoying as hell.

One more Radio for alternative rock with more notorious bands would fix this issue. LSRR did a good job, but this is a classic rock. The Alternative one like Radio x in San Andreas felt necessary.

Edited by ThiagoBass

I discovered quite a few amazing artists via Radio Mirror Park and Vinewood Boulevard Radio.

East Los FM does suck balls indeed, no question about that. I kind of get it why it's in the game, given the west coast theme an ethnic radio makes sense - still, every second of it is annoying as hell.

I agree. Radio Mirror Park along to Non Stop Pop on the radio wheel are all excellent stations, with some truly great songs. Rebel Radio and West Coast Classics are also ok. I feel the hate for GTA 5 in general is way too harsh, and to say the music is bad is an outrageous statement.

• Like 1

That's the great thing you always discover new music in GTA's. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others don't.

Maybe I worded my original post poorly. What I really meant, wasn't that no one likes those stations (because of course some people will), but more R* should simply focus on the more popular genres and cut down on the stations that less people will listen to. This would quite simply increase the quality of music in game for the masses. I would take an extra rock or pop station over a stupid Mexican oriented station that barley anyone can actually understand.

The talk radios in V are absolute trash. Massive step down from the ones of VC and SA.

I think the entire radio concept in general in the HD era is a huge step down from SA and VC. Those games had absolutely amazing music, even genres that aren't my cup of tea. I think a lot of it has to do with the age of the music. I bet that Rockstar was able to procure the rights for the best music from the Eighties and Nineties for a lot less money than the top music from present day.

This is why the Rock Station and, oddly enough, the Country station in V are very good, because these all very old songs, and Rockstar probably was able to get the licensing for them for a pittance compared to the newer music on many of the other stations. I forgot to mention that I do like the pop station, even though it isn't my genre at all.

I disagree about the Talk radio. I think its pretty good.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 5

I like FlyLo FM because Hannibal Burres is funny as hell (Stay out of Blaine County, everyone's on Meth...), but I hate how the station is named after a sub-par producer who sounds like he used a garage sale keyboard to make his songs. Worldwide FM is great, except songs are really mixed up and I'm not sure what the station revolves around, and it only got worse to know on CG/PC. LSRR was disappointing and I was looking forward to that Nightride FM (? From a poster in some artwork).

I hate East Los FM because it sounds like it only appeals to mariachi Hispanics, TBoGT had amazing Spanish songs! Westcoast FM was decent and so was Radio Los Santos, but San Andreas did way better with old school rap, and as I grew up, I learned to appreciate the 80's rap station on that game (spacing the name). All other stations were either annoying because the songs were too overplayed and weren't even good songs to overplay or just didn't have those memorable songs the previous GTA installments had.

TL;DR V's radio wasn't as good as IV's, and was horrid compared to VC and San Andreas.

Edited by YngDady
  • Like 2

It really comes down to tastes. In my opinion GTA 5's radio stations are decent. I personally prefer Vice City's and 4's though.

• Like 1

TheHumanIsland

if you read the lyrics of east los fm, it will help you understand the other radio stations.

But some Spanish-speaking fellow could find East Los FM interesting...

• Like 3

Maybe I worded my original post poorly. What I really meant, wasn't that no one likes those stations (because of course some people will), but more R* should simply focus on the more popular genres and cut down on the stations that less people will listen to. This would quite simply increase the quality of music in game for the masses. I would take an extra rock or pop station over a stupid Mexican oriented station that barley anyone can actually understand.

Well i found through this way some cool songs in every GTA. I listened to radio stations i normally wouldn't listen.

• Like 3

CryptReaperDorian

You can't please everybody's musical taste(s), but GTA V still has a disappointing soundtrack for me (compared to many previous games). I think one of the big issues is that some of the stations just seem like a mess. For instance, Non-Stop FM. Hall & Oates and Britney Spears may both be pop, but honestly, they still seem way too far apart to actually be played back-to-back. Meanwhile, Channel X and Radio Boulevard Radio seem way too similar to me (there's less disparities here than between individual songs on Non-Stop), and thus they should have honestly been a single radio station (to make room for a different channel with a significantly different sub-genre of either rock or metal).

....Maybe I worded my original post poorly....I would take an extra rock or pop station over a stupid Mexican oriented station that barley anyone can actually understand.

I'm sorry mods, I'm usually not this hostile but....

WHAT DID THIS STUPID MUTHAFUKKA JUST SAY!!!!!????

Bro.... Just because you (one insignificant person) doesn't understand something, IT WILL NEVER MEAN that out of 8 billion people, "barely anyone can actually understand" it as well... Are you like that fukking stupid??? Like, there's literally a whole continent that's speaks Spanish and it waaaay bigger than the UK.... And let's not mention Central America, The Carribean, and Spain.... sh*t most of the state of Florida speaks Spanish.... And they most likely enjoy at least some songs on EastLos FM, I know I have one or two...

Barley understands lol... That the single most arrogant and self centered comment I've read in a while... South America has 387.5 million people (not including other Spanish speaking places)... Your country only has 64 million.... I think the people who DO understand & listen to EastLos FM outnumber you, dude.... Stop being ignorant... How could you honestly think that your existence is the census for the planet? I'm not a rock fan but you don't here me asking for it to be removed (LSRR is the sh*t tho!!)

Please, get off the internet, you lost for today....You must be young.... /rant /thread

Edited by JStarr31
  • Like 3

While I'd actually say the ones from IV were a little better simply because they had some more depth there's still some quite good stuff in there. Since the stations always try to incorporate the local demographics, styles and tastes it's no wonder that there's a Hispanic one existing. I mean how many percent of the population of California are from a Latin American country or descent? Besides that it was in SA so it makes sense to have it in V, too.

I've actually found some quite cool songs I didn't knew before thanks to Lee "Scratch" Perry for example. I would have missed out on quite some stuff if they wouldn't have chosen exactly the stations and songs they did. I'd presumably never heard music from the Wild Beasts, The Black Angels, Favored Nations or even M.I.A. otherwise.

I'm actually quite happy with what we have.

Fuzzknuckles

that barley anyone can actually understand.

I mean, there's probably at least 3 or 4 people that speak Spanish that play GTA, right? Maybe as many as 10!

Signatures are dumb anyway.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

East Los FM is great in.... East LS =p

seriously, every single channel fits an area of the game, really... I listen to basically all of them depending on which car and which area

I like East Los FM in Vapid Sadlers in East LS

FlyLo at night in LS

Soulwax in sports cars on the highway

Worldwide FM in Blaine County with nice cars

Rebel Radio in Blaine County with poorer cars

etc etc

Edited by S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • Like 2

When I play online I hear a bunch of people who are speaking spanish so there is a large market for that kind of music. GTA in general has a very diverse fanbase so it's hard to cater to everybody. Also IV had a russion station and III had opera to fit with the themes so this isn't unusual.

The Dedito Gae

Yeah, but Vladivostok had some nice songs, East LS is hot garbage (and this comes from a latin) they should had put Funky Aztecs, House of Pain, Coka Nostra, good bands that fit cholos and that kind of stuff, not this sh*t joke radio.

I disagree, SA talkshows were embarassingly short, don't give time to enjoy them, V talk shows are fine, i'm personally a fan of Dr. Ray's and Beyond Insemination. Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 1

House of Pain is an Irish rap group so I don't see how that would fit a Latin station.

• Like 1

Ok guys. I was just throwing out an idea, I didn't expect everyone to get their panties in a twist over a stupid Mexican radio station that a minority of GTA players can actually understand and therefore actually listen to. And East Los FM is just one example of a station that caters to a very niche genre. Yes, my idea was a bit ignorant on my part but I still stand by it. Ditch the stupid stations, and get more music that will appease to the majority of GTA players.

Fuzzknuckles

If they got rid of all the stations I don't like, they'd probably only have one left.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

....Maybe I worded my original post poorly....I would take an extra rock or pop station over a stupid Mexican oriented station that barley anyone can actually understand.

I'm sorry mods, I'm usually not this hostile but....

WHAT DID THIS STUPID MUTHAFUKKA JUST SAY!!!!!????

Bro.... Just because you (one insignificant person) doesn't understand something, IT WILL NEVER MEAN that out of 8 billion people, "barely anyone can actually understand" it as well... Are you like that fukking stupid??? Like, there's literally a whole continent that's speaks Spanish and it waaaay bigger than the UK.... And let's not mention Central America, The Carribean, and Spain.... sh*t most of the state of Florida speaks Spanish.... And they most likely enjoy at least some songs on EastLos FM, I know I have one or two...

Barley understands lol... That the single most arrogant and self centered comment I've read in a while... South America has 387.5 million people (not including other Spanish speaking places)... Your country only has 64 million.... I think the people who DO understand & listen to EastLos FM outnumber you, dude.... Stop being ignorant... How could you honestly think that your existence is the census for the planet? I'm not a rock fan but you don't here me asking for it to be removed (LSRR is the sh*t tho!!)

Please, get off the internet, you lost for today....You must be young.... /rant /thread

Don't act like you're so smart because you can google the population of a couple of places. While there are many Spanish speakers around the world (and I already knew this, I'm not a complete moron) the majority of GTA PLAYERS will be English speakers. Therefore dropping the stations that cater to a smaller demographic of GTA players doesn't make sense. Cater to the masses and that means a better game and batter quality music for the masses.

• Like 1

You can't please everybody's musical taste(s), but GTA V still has a disappointing soundtrack for me (compared to many previous games). I think one of the big issues is that some of the stations just seem like a mess. For instance, Non-Stop FM. Hall & Oates and Britney Spears may both be pop, but honestly, they still seem way too far apart to actually be played back-to-back. Meanwhile, Channel X and Radio Boulevard Radio seem way too similar to me (there's less disparities here than between individual songs on Non-Stop), and thus they should have honestly been a single radio station (to make room for a different channel with a significantly different sub-genre of either rock or metal).

That's the point I'm making. If you ditch a more niche station like East Los FM, that frees up room for more pop/rock and other more popular genres. Yes, while people who like Mexican music will miss out, more people in general will benefit. As you said you can't cater to everyone's tastes, but you can at least try to satisfy the majority.

To further back up my point look at Vice city. I think the general census is that Vice City has one of the best soundtracks of the series. And other than Radio Espantoso all the other stations were made up of more popular 80s music and genres. And look at the outcome. Incredible music left and right. I'm not suggesting to completely fill the next GTA game with 80s music, but the point still stands. Cut the stupid radio stations like East Los FM and Soulwax and you end up with a better soundtrack overall.

bloatedsack

"You don't like what I like because what you like is stupid." - Every GTA soundtrack thread on this forum, summarized.

East Los is great, btw. I say this as a 42 year old white guy who can't speak Spanish and has no idea what's going on there except for a part where a man asks me to stop hitting his wife and a girl shouting WHAT at me.

Oh, and beeps.

BTW, Keith Morris is also fantastic and fulfills the role of burn out head admirably well before the hate turns its way to Channel X.

• Like 3

The Dedito Gae

House of Pain is an Irish rap group so I don't see how that would fit a Latin station.

I meant Cypress Hill, they sound the same.