Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,953 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Keano

How Good was GTA 2's Soundtrack?

Keano

What does everyone think of the GTA 2 soundtrack? I personally think it's one of the best soundtracks in the GTA series along with III, Vice City and San Andreas as well as IV

DimitriFaustin

I will always think GTA 2's soundtrack to be the best one in the series. Yes, the other GTA game soundtracks are impressive, but to me, they just don't compare to 2.

"Forget the trash, listen to Marshall Nash!"

Ivan1997GTA

In my opinion, one of the best soundtracks ever - not just in the entire GTA series. This is one of those games where I could listen to it's soundtrack for hours and hours on end. And out of all top-down GTA games, GTA2 has the best soundtrack. I wish they carried this over in later games, not just III, some tracks in Vice City & Liberty City Stories.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA

Ss4gogeta0

GTA 2 was the best soundtrack due to being mostly developed in house with only a few songs that were licensed :p

Keano

GTA 2 was the best soundtrack due to being mostly developed in house with only a few songs that were licensed :p

Indeed. I think some of the best GTA soundtracks are the ones where they are specifically written for the game i:e III, LCS had many songs written for the game and GTA V even had some too with "Sleepwalking" being the most well known to me.

IV had a few and while it was nice to the top 80's and 90's hits in VC, SA, and VCS, Rockstar do a good job of making original soundtracks really enjoyable...something not always possible with media in my opinion.

Tumppi90

The game had some radio stations which were damn funny, especially KGBH. The music, well.. not so good.

ShrugLord

I'd say the HipHop section was on point!

WorthlessYouth

The radio stations were, and still are the most believable of any GTA game, imo

Excessive and obnoxious attention grabbing commercials, fast-paced nature, superb mixing and the overall flow of the stations is extremely accurate and impressive. Seriously, give them a listen sometime.

Lithium FM

Funami FM

The music, however? Not amazing, but extremely memorable. Rockstar were clearly coming to grips with the whole in-house music production thing, and I believe they perfected it in GTA 3. This isn't to say that there aren't some great tracks in GTA 2, however!

<- 50s rockabilly inspired track

<- Preachy 'Christian' 90s pop track. Massive guilty pleasure of mine

- <- Superb breakbeat track

<- Main menu track. Super chill!

And that's only to name a few!

Edited by Azurex

Richie Makyura

GTA 2 have the Best songs :D

My Favorite is Osmosis Radio

Hiddenshadow

<- Main menu track. Super chill!

Which version had this as the menu track? The ones I've played(PC and PS1) have

as the menu track, whereas "I Love This Feeling (Stoned Again)" by the Scrapyard Mongrels played over the credits instead.

turbocharger

♫ All I wanna do is to get with you

Edited by turbocharger

Raindancer

'If you wanna see them cry, poke them in the eye. Taxi Drivers must DIE'

Is that GTA2? I regularly sing that to myself!

Leone Family

KREZ is my favorite station. I especially like the song Carjacking In Hilltown :)

asgppl

I like all radio stations in this game because they all has awesome songs.

Edited by asgppl

Yinepi

This game caputred radio like no Rockstar game has. Not only were the songs humorous but they fit GTA's parody better than the other soundtracks. No better way to parody mainstream radio than with repetitive songs that make you think "WTF?' like:

I wanna phunk, I wanna phunk, I wanna F-F-You F-You and Me :lol:

Kevin Yost sampled that originally in '96 from an old '70s funk song into a more New York deep house sound, and Track 7 remixed Kevin Yost's version in '99 into the disco house sound we hear in the game. But it's still an accurate portrayal of the sh*t on radio both back then and even still today.

I feel Rockstar had a lot more creativity back then in the top down days and really knew how to make cynical satire.

Edited by Yinepi

Algonquin Assassin

The theme song in particular has always been one of my favourites after GTA IV and Vice City. Though its been a few years since I played GTA 2 its still highly memorable. So smooth and slick.:)

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

ClaudeIzABadAzz

The theme song in particular has always been one of my favourites after GTA IV and Vice City. Though its been a few years since I played GTA 2 its still highly memorable. So smooth and slick. :)

I agree! I haven't even played GTA 2 before but I'm in love with the theme song for some reason lol.

Surya926

The theme song in particular has always been one of my favourites after GTA IV and Vice City. Though its been a few years since I played GTA 2 its still highly memorable. So smooth and slick. :)

This. GTA IV and VC's main theme is also my favourite.

Hmmm nice bike

This game caputred radio like no Rockstar game has. Not only were the songs humorous but they fit GTA's parody better than the other soundtracks. No better way to parody mainstream radio than with repetitive songs that make you think "WTF?' like:

Kevin Yost sampled that originally in '96 from an old '70s funk song into a more New York deep house sound, and Track 7 remixed Kevin Yost's version in '99 into the disco house sound we hear in the game. But it's still an accurate portrayal of the sh*t on radio both back then and even still today.

I feel Rockstar had a lot more creativity back then in the top down days and really knew how to make cynical satire.

You're probably right. There was a parody of a Christian music radio station in GTA 2, I don't think Rockstar would really do something like this anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHr3JrmG-oA

The first song, "God Bless The Universe," is pretty damn catchy for a cheesy religious song, and it sounds really similar to what you'd hear on Christian radio in real life (as do the other two songs). The satire on the in-game media back then compared to GTA V was a lot different. It wasn't as in-your-face, and it didn't feel like they were taking themselves as seriously as they do now.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

Jeansowaty

May I know which one of his songs samples that? :)

Yinepi

May I know which one of his songs samples that? :)

at 2:39

Edited by Yinepi