4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

thehambone

[WIP|LCS] GTA Liberty City Stories Save Editor

thehambone

GTA Liberty City Stories Save Editor

[a logo of some sort will go here eventually...]

Hello everyone! I'd like to announce that I am working on a save editor for Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories! The project is currently a work-in-progress and I will release it to the public when it is complete. I began working on the tool in early February and had originally planned to release it in late March, but college, life, and other things have gotten in the way and development has been taking longer than expected. So instead, I've decided to make people aware of the project and provide a place to give out information as development unfolds. :)

All save file research and program development was conducted by me. When the tool is complete, I will post my research to GTAModding.com and I'll probably release the source code for the tool under a "for learning purposes; not to distribute" license.

Features
As of now, the editor supports PS2 saves only, but I've already developed framework that allows me to easily add iOS and Android support, which I will do soon. You can edit general game info, such as the current time, weather, and even some of the game settings! You can also change Toni's clothes, make him spawn anywhere on the map, give him more health and armor than normally allowed by the game, edit weapons and garages, and much more! A full list of features can be found below.

Full List of Features and Editable Properties

(this also functions as a to-do list somewhat)
Key: Completed; In-progress; Planned

Editor

• PlayStation 2 save support
  • Recently-accessed files list
  • User-defined carcols.dat support
  • Save file platform auto-detection
  • iOS save support
  • Android save support
  • User-defined GXT file support
  • Auto-update checker
  • Save converter
  • Header logo and icon
General Page
  • File modification time (PS2 only)
  • Game time: hours and minutes, minute length, global script timer, total time played
  • Permanent weather: sunny, cloudy, rainy, foggy, extra sunny, hurricane, extra colors, snowy
  • Game settings
    • Toggle HUD
    • Toggle subtitles
    • Toggle blur
    • Toggle widescreen (PS2 only)
    • Toggle "player cheated" flag
    • Vehicle camera mode
    • Radar mode
    • Radio volume
    • SFX volume
    • Brightness (can go much higher or lower than game normally allows)
  • Save name (mobile only)^
  • Ability to reset script timers
^ If you are using a custom GXT file, you will be able to attach it to the editor so you can use your custom GXT strings.

Player Page
  • Max health and armor (0-255, game normally goes up to 150)
  • Current armor
  • Money
  • Player perks
    • Infinite sprint
    • Fireproof
    • Get out of jail free
    • Free bombs (not found in-game by default)
    • Free resprays (not found in-game by default)
  • Player outfit (all 16 outfits are available)
  • Player can be placed anywhere on the map
  • Weapon slots
  • Pre-defined spawn locations
Garages Page
  • Change primary and secondary colors^
  • Change radio station
  • Special vehicle properties
    • Bulletproof
    • Collision-proof
    • Explosion-proof
    • Fireproof
    • Pop-proof
    • Tip-proof
    • Heavy
    • 4x damage resistance
    • Permanent color
    • Timebomb (not found in the game by default)
    • Two unknown properties
    • Handling multiplier (applies to motorcycles only)
  • Change stored vehicle (not all vehicles are defined yet)
  • Add/remove extra vehicle parts (not all vehicles parts are defined yet)
  • Add/delete cars from garages
^ If you are using a custom carcols.dat file, you can attach it to the editor so you can use your modified colors.

Hidden Packages Page
  • Map showing collected/not collected/all Hidden Packages
  • List showing all Hidden Packages and their collected status
  • "Collect All" button
  • Toggle Hidden Package safehouse rewards
Rampages Page
  • Map showing completed/not completed/all Rampages
  • List showing all Rampages and their completion status
  • "Complete All" button
  • Toggle Rampage safehouse reward
Stunt Jumps Page
  • Map showing completed/not completed/all Stunt Jumps
  • List showing all Stunt Jump and their completion status
  • "Complete All" button
Unlockables Page
  • 100% Completion rewards
  • Side missions completed/rewards
  • Donald Love's Car-Azy Car Giveaway cars
  • Various car generators enabled or disabled
Stats Page
  • Stats viewer/editor
100% To Do List Page
  • A list of tasks required for 100% and their completion statuses
Advanced Page
  • Global variables editor
  • Mission script variables and timers editor

Screenshots

1BaVR0C.png

LcKYmUS.png

eWwZNHa.png

UDSMwZn.png

sgyyawG.png

Credits
Special thanks to MetalMilitia89, Username.gta, and CartmanKusanagi for providing me with their mobile saves during the research phase.

Copyright © 2016 thehambone.

Lethal Vaccine

Very good stuff, man! :) I am sure a lot of people will like this, especially when it supports the Mobile Platform. Keep up the good work! ;)

_pseudoimage

Hi, very interesting tool. How's the progress?

thehambone

Thanks! It's been on hold for about a month and a half now so I could finish up school. I'm going to resume development in a week or two. :^:

Sweet Bellic

Thanks! It's been on hold for about a month and a half now so I could finish up school. I'm going to resume development in a week or two. :^:I can understand that school can be a pain in the ass.

_pseudoimage

Thanks! It's been on hold for about a month and a half now so I could finish up school. I'm going to resume development in a week or two. :^:

Well best of luck!, Excited fo this one. Do update me when it's done :lol:

Butcher696

Nice work man - u writed mayby a mobile support - but nice will by ad psp version support .

thehambone

Nice work man - u writed mayby a mobile support - but nice will by ad psp version support .

Thanks! Yeah I'd like to add PSP support, the only problem is every PSP save I can find is encrypted and I don't know how to decrypt them. So, until I learn how to decrypt PSP saves, I won't be able to add PSP support.

gts.

Very useful tool, thanks a lot!

Inadequate

Wow, how I missed this? :D Thanks hambone!

_pseudoimage

oh and also.. could you please add Waterproof to the Special vehicle properties options if at all possible..

Thanks a bunch hambone! :)

Edited by _pseudoimage

thehambone

oh and also.. could you please add Waterproof to the Special vehicle properties options if at all possible..

Thanks a bunch hambone! :)

From my research, I could not confirm that waterproof (WP) was a distinct vehicle property in LCS. It seems to be a side effect, so-to-speak, of the Heavy (H) property when applied to motorcycles (note how every WP vehicle in LCS is a bike that's also heavy). In addition, neither of the two "Unknown Properties" appear to have the effect of WP when applied to both motorcycles and cars.

Note about the two unknown properties: I'm sure that one of the unknown properties is the melee-proof (MP) property found in GTA III, VC, and SA. The MP property makes a vehicle immune to melee attacks, but is broken in III, VC, and LCS; it only works in SA (I'm not sure about VCS). I have no idea what the second unknown property may be.

Edited by thehambone

Blackbird88

Thanks! Yeah I'd like to add PSP support, the only problem is every PSP save I can find is encrypted and I don't know how to decrypt them. So, until I learn how to decrypt PSP saves, I won't be able to add PSP support.

Wouldn't it be the same key used for decrypting EBOOTs?

thehambone

Wouldn't it be the same key used for decrypting EBOOTs?

Hmmm... maybe. I'll have to do some research. To be honest, encryption isn't my strongpoint; I've never had to encrypt/decrypt game files before, so I don't know much about how to do it. I'll figure it out eventually. :p

Lethal Vaccine

From my research, I could not confirm that waterproof (WP) was a distinct vehicle property in LCS. It seems to be a side effect, so-to-speak, of the Heavy (H) property when applied to motorcycles (note how every WP vehicle in LCS is a bike that's also heavy). In addition, neither of the two "Unknown Properties" appear to have the effect of WP when applied to both motorcycles and cars.

Note about the two unknown properties: I'm sure that one of the unknown properties is the melee-proof (MP) property found in GTA III, VC, and SA. The MP property makes a vehicle immune to melee attacks, but is broken in III, VC, and LCS; it only works in SA (I'm not sure about VCS). I have no idea what the second unknown property may be.

You might be right. It is REAL, but I am not sure if it's a Property in and of itself, or it is tied to the Heavy Property on Bikes. There is only 3 WP Vehicles in LCS and all 3 of these are Bikes and all 3 of them also have the Heavy Property (H/BP/FP/WP/EC Chrome Red PCJ-600 from Biker Heat, H/UH/WP PCJ-600 from 9MM Mayhem, and H/PP/WP/EC Yellow Faggio from Stop the Press). Then in VCS, there is 1 WP Vehicle and again, it's a Bike and is also Heavy. The H/WP Sanchez from Beach Patrol. So yeah, I am not sure if WP is a Property by itself or if it's tied to Bikes and more importantly, Heavy Bikes...

Hmmm... maybe. I'll have to do some research. To be honest, encryption isn't my strongpoint; I've never had to encrypt/decrypt game files before, so I don't know much about how to do it. I'll figure it out eventually. :p

When you open the Hazard GTA V Save Editor, it automatically decrypts and encrypts the Saves. You should send him a PM as he knows his stuff with the Save Editors. PS3 and GTA V are much more complex I'd imagine than the 3D Era GTA's, even if LCS/VCS on PSP. You'll figure it out eventually...

_pseudoimage

How's development going?

thehambone

How's development going?

It's coming along, but a lot slower than I'd like. I'm currently working on the garage section and identifying which vehicles have extra parts that can be swapped and listing all of them out (i.e. liveries on the Yankee and Mule and the light on the Taxi).

Shaz22

Great work on the save editor! :colgate:

I'm a big fan of the GTA series

Questions

1.How's the development getting along.

2.Should the tool be done around next year, or longer than that.

3.And will the save editor be compatible with PSP saves in the future, because I'm hoping to take out my UMD disk from the game case and start playing Lcs again with unlimited Cash and stuff.

Anyways,

Good luck with finishing it.

Edited by Shaz22

thehambone

Great work on the save editor! :colgate:

I'm a big fan of the GTA series

Questions

1.How's the development getting along.

2.Should the tool be done around next year, or longer than that.

3.And will the save editor be compatible with PSP saves in the future, because I'm hoping to take out my UMD disk from the game case and start playing Lcs again with unlimited Cash and stuff.

Anyways,

Good luck with finishing it.

Thank you!

Development is slow, unfortunately. I'm very busy with school at the moment, but I do work on the editor when I have the time. I certainly would like to get it out there soon though. I'm hoping to release it before the end of the year, but that will depend on how the rest of my semester goes.

As far as PSP saves go, as of now the editor does not support PSP saves. Reason being is I don't know how to decrypt PSP saves. Once I find a way to reliably decrypt and re-encrypt PSP saves, I will add PSP support to the save editor. :^:

Glovenfun21

I always wanted to create a huge gang war in GTA LCS by making the game only spawn gangsters, Similar to Pedgrp.dat or modifying gang density in areas of the Main.SCM, Which makes me wonder.... Are we at a point that changing the spawning locations for npc's possible? Can we make Gang01,02,03,04,05 ETC Spawn anywhere with editing the game's internal save data? With this program? (Possibly in the future) Will Sanny Builder ever finally add the ability to compile Stories Main.scm file... my rambling aside... I am very excited for the future of GTA stories modding, And hope to finally see GTA LCS/VCS get the modding scene it deserves! Keep up the good work man! hope to see more from you! :lol:

Edited by Glovenfun21

fastman92

I always wanted to create a huge gang war in GTA LCS by making the game only spawn gangsters, Similar to Pedgrp.dat or modifying gang density in areas of the Main.SCM, Which makes me wonder.... Are we at a point that changing the spawning locations for npc's possible? Can we make Gang01,02,03,04,05 ETC Spawn anywhere with editing the game's internal save data? With this program? (Possibly in the future) Will Sanny Builder ever finally add the ability to compile Stories Main.scm file... my rambling aside... I am very excited for the future of GTA stories modding, And hope to finally see GTA LCS/VCS get the modding scene it deserves! Keep up the good work man! hope to see more from you! :lol:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/691441-gta-lcsvcs-research-project/

Glovenfun21

http://gtaforums.com/topic/691441-gta-lcsvcs-research-project/

Ah... So what exactly does the Limit Adjuster do? Could i use this to do what i had in mind? And if so... exactly how? I'm not very good with coding... But i never had problems with editing the gang densities from the Main.SCM because of being so familiar with it. Also i think i should mention i'm using PSP version of GTA LCS

Edited by Glovenfun21

Shaz22

Would you be making a Save Slot selector that goes with the editor?

That allows you to select and rearrange the save you want to edit in a different save slot by saving the edits made, creating a new save folder onto the desktop.

(I think its a little to advanced because of the Corruption of saves)

But I have ways around it.

I've seen a Vice City save editor that allows you to edit and rearrange save slots from slot 1 to slot 8.

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=12167

It be cool if it was added with this editor and future editors like Vice City Stories. (If your planning to make it)

But that's only for the PC version of it.

I have saved my current LCS save in a different save slot,when it was meant to be saved in the first slot but it ended up in the last save slot.

I didn't want to go again and save In-Game,it would only cause more problems i had dealt with a few months ago.

Edited by Shaz22

thehambone

Would you be making a Save Slot selector that goes with the editor?

That allows you to select and rearrange the save you want to edit in a different save slot by saving the edits made, creating a new save folder onto the desktop.

I wasn't planning on adding a save slot selector, since the one in the VC Save Editor (and my own GTA III Save Editor) is there to load PC saves from the default PC save directory. Since LCS isn't available on PC, I didn't think it would be necessary. But, if it's something people would like, I can always add one. I'd be up to you to choose which folder the save slot selector looks at though.

Also, you can always change the slot a save file loads from by simply changing the number in the save file name. (GTA3LCSsf1.b is slot 1, GTA3LCSsf7.b is slot 7, etc.)

Edited by thehambone

Shaz22

People could browse for their saves when they copy their save file folder to the desktop and put it in a new folder, you can it rename to saves if you want,and select the folder called Saves if your editor can browse for folders.

So you can just browse and select the folder called saves,it should have your LCS save file folders in it.

and your editor should find it and recognise it as a folder full of save files.

And when you are selecting your save it should have a description of wether it was made on IOS,Ps2 and PSP (The ones you said you were going to make your editor compatible for in the future) next to the title of the save in brackets.

For IOS they would open the file directly by copying whole folder from Ifunbox to the desktop and placing it in the new folder I mentioned.

I'm not sure about where Ps2 saves are located but, it should be still the same as PSP

(Thats My Guess,not a legit answer.)

I think it's a little to advanced to add.

It's your editor, you can use this idea or forget about this idea.

I don't mind😊

Edited by Shaz22

eaztbay

how is the progress going on this editor? im excited for a release. (i dont know if one has been released yet... lol )

Edited by eaztbay

thehambone

I've been doing a lot of save file research these past few days. I'm going through and verifying my findings as well as filling gaps. Additionally, I'm making sure that I equally map out PS2, iOS, and Android saves so the editor will be fully compatible with all three formats. I recently acquired the PSP version of the game, but I'm still at a loss as to how to decrypt PSP saves, so PSP support will have to wait for now.

I've discovered a few cool things that aren't normally available in the game. For instance, you can re-enable the Taxi boost jump feature found in VC after dropping off 100 fares. I also have nearly all the stats mapped out, so I plan to have a nice stats editor included in the program.

Still not sure when there will be a release, as there's still a lot to do. I'm considering releasing it before it's fully complete -- I just don't really like the idea of giving people a half-finished product.

Also, the to-do and features list in the OP is outdated. I'll get to updating that soon.

Edited by thehambone

Hendrik498

Can you make one for GTA VCS too? I've been trying to shoot all red balloons, complete all rampages and do all stunt jumps at once, but i died 4 times and loaded the last save everytime i did, but now i died once while doing a rampage, and i won't waste my time doing it all over again so i just bought my weapons from the hospital, i would like to change that "times you've been wasted" from 4 to 0.

Edited by The Lone Spirit

thehambone

Can you make one for GTA VCS too? I've been trying to shoot all red balloons, complete all rampages and do all stunt jumps at once, but i died 4 times and loaded the last save everytime i did, but now i died once while doing a rampage, and i won't waste my time doing it all over again so i just bought my weapons from the hospital, i would like to change that "times you've been wasted" from 1 to 0.

I do want to make a VCS editor, but it'll probably be a separate project.

If you want, you can send me your save and I can try to manually edit the "times you've been wasted" stat for you.