3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA Liberty City Stories Save Editor

thehambone

Hey I got a big problem here. I installed everything required on both my own PC, and on a clean version of Windows 7 Ultimate but it fails every time. The app just won't open. Do I need a certain service pack? Anyway, none of that matters if I can do what I need in HxD, because what I need is a way to confirm the UH 2.0 conversion I am doing on cars which is ofc difficult. Do you got any cue where I would look in the hex for garage data in an extracted save file in save slot 1? I imagine the code for all 12 cars is probably the same length, if I had an idea where to look for the start and of the length and where to find the UH setting in the first one I could just work downstream from there and forego the app for now. I was doing this all legitimately anyway so that's all I need it for. But hey great app dude, sucks it didn't work for me but yeah looks good by the screenshots

Btw, your app isn't just crashing on me but it's more like I never opened it in the first place. I don't even see an app open and close in Process Explorer, it's very weird. I even used different computers, different installation discs and even downloaded the dotnet installers twice to rule that out as the issue. Tried 3.1 and 5.0. Restarted many times.

Edited by imkira3
thehambone
On 11/18/2020 at 6:38 AM, xlaar said:

good job dude!

also can you make one for vcs too?

Thank you! I'll probably make a VCS save editor at some point, but it won't be for a little while.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, imkira3 said:

Hey I got a big problem here. I installed everything required on both my own PC, and on a clean version of Windows 7 Ultimate but it fails every time. The app just won't open. Do I need a certain service pack?

Interesting. I have a Windows 7 VM that I use for testing and I haven't encountered the program crashing on launch. Microsoft's docs about .NET Core support for Windows 7 are kind of unclear; I would recommend installing SP1 and ensure you have all the latest updates (or better yet, upgrade to Win10 if you can). Specifically, make sure you install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 and KB2533623 (see this article). The save editor uses .NET Core 3.1, so you shouldn't need to install .NET Framework 4.x, only .NET Core 3.1.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, imkira3 said:

Anyway, none of that matters if I can do what I need in HxD, because what I need is a way to confirm the UH 2.0 conversion I am doing on cars which is ofc difficult. Do you got any cue where I would look in the hex for garage data in an extracted save file in save slot 1? I imagine the code for all 12 cars is probably the same length, if I had an idea where to look for the start and of the length and where to find the UH setting in the first one I could just work downstream from there and forego the app for now. I was doing this all legitimately anyway so that's all I need it for.

How familiar are you with hex editing? I have a 010 Editor template for LCS save files that I can send you that'll allow you to edit the file directly without needing to touch much of the raw binary data. Send me a DM if you're interested.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, thehambone said:

Interesting. I have a Windows 7 VM that I use for testing and I haven't encountered the program crashing on launch. Microsoft's docs about .NET Core support for Windows 7 are kind of unclear; I would recommend installing SP1 and ensure you have all the latest updates (or better yet, upgrade to Win10 if you can). Specifically, make sure you install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 and KB2533623 (see this article). The save editor uses .NET Core 3.1, so you shouldn't need to install .NET Framework 4.x, only .NET Core 3.1.

How familiar are you with hex editing? I have a 010 Editor template for LCS save files that I can send you that'll allow you to edit the file directly without needing to touch much of the raw binary data. Send me a DM if you're interested.

Hey man, yeah weird but that update you mentioned doesn't exist. I usually update everything selectively but I might try installing all the updates on the PC I keep mostly offline. I definitely won't be installing Windows 10, and I haven't trusted their updates since they released spyware in Windows 10. I can't seem to message you for some reason, but if you could send me that template it might help

thehambone
8 hours ago, imkira3 said:

I can't seem to message you for some reason, but if you could send me that template it might help

DM'd you.

Also, give the standalone version a try. This has all the .NET libraries bundled inside, so it should Just Work™ without the need for any additional installations.

Edited by thehambone
On 5/24/2016 at 11:31 AM, thehambone said:

From my research, I could not confirm that waterproof (WP) was a distinct vehicle property in LCS. It seems to be a side effect, so-to-speak, of the Heavy (H) property when applied to motorcycles (note how every WP vehicle in LCS is a bike that's also heavy). In addition, neither of the two "Unknown Properties" appear to have the effect of WP when applied to both motorcycles and cars.

I have a theory about that. H cars and bikes can ignore the float scripts, and at least some of the properties of a vehicle (like EP for example) apply to Toni if he is inside or entering the vehicle. Cars and bikes have separate scripts when it comes to water. When Toni is in a car in the water he will stay inside the car as it kinda floats and drowns him, bikes however sink like a stone and Toni falls off the bike and starts to float, only taking damage after falling off the bike. Toni never appears to take damage while on the bike, so when the H property forces Toni to stay on the bike in the water, the game doesn't appear to be designed to handle that usually impossible situation and so Toni doesn't lose health. Toni loses health in the car because he is exactly where he is supposed to be to lose health in the water.

Edited by imkira3

also can you tell me how did you made this save editor? 

(coding and stuff or maybe scripting i dunno)

im quite into coding these days

thehambone
On 11/27/2020 at 1:48 AM, xlaar said:

also can you tell me how did you made this save editor? 

(coding and stuff or maybe scripting i dunno)

im quite into coding these days

Lots of hours of research and programming. Entire app written in C# (.NET) using WPF for the user interface. You can find the source code here.