1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

I can't hear game chat on GTA Online(Xbox One)

CantHear

I can't hear game chat in free mode or during jobs(missions, heists, deathmatches, races) etc. I can ONLY hear game chat during waiting lobbies of jobs.

Game chat works on other games. Party chat works. Game chat works for me on Xbox 360 GTA but not GTA on Xbox One. Game chat used to work some time last year, but at some point game chat all the sudden stopped working.

Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem? I've tried all I could think of(chat is set to "Everyone" in the interaction menu).

Its really weird I can ONLY hear game chat during waiting lobbies but not in the actual game.

I tried searching online for a solution but could not find one. Can anyone please help?

When you're joining a session you can hear everyone for like a few seconds. Perhaps when you fully join no one who is on the mic has their chat set to 'Everyone'.

Have you tested this out with a friend?

When you're joining a session you can hear everyone for like a few seconds. Perhaps when you fully join no one who is on the mic has their chat set to 'Everyone'.

Have you tested this out with a friend?

Yes I have tested it with a friend. Also one of my friends sent me a message before commenting on some game chat that was going on, and I couldn't hear any of it.

My game chat is flat out broke.

I was thinking maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the game might fix it. Would uninstalling and reinstalling GTA(i have disc not digital) make me lose my character, settings, and all that?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Voice is set to EVERYONE in the interaction menu. No parental settings are enabled on my console. Still dead silent in every lobby.

Edited by Brooks86

Same here, XB1.

It briefly annoys me every now and again but then I remember it's probably a blessing.

I think it might route chat to your headset if you plug it in? Or there's some xbox setting somewhere?

Have you ever had a comms ban on XB? I wonder if that's related. I have (from messaging f*cking ramming retards on stunt races, mostly...)

Edited by Gridl0k
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to bump, but did anyone ever find a solution to this?

I have my voice chat set to Everyone in the interaction menu, I've looked at every possible privacy setting I can think of and set it the right way - nothing seems to work.

I can't hear anyone at all in public sessions. I can hear voice messages, party chat, and I think I might've heard someone in a lobby/setting up a job once (you know, the waiting screen) - but that's it. In actual gameplay, it's completely silent.

Most of the time I don't want to hear people anyway. But it'd be nice to record people raging, etc. I used to hear some great meltdowns in free mode, back on 360. Now I'll never hear them again (on the One).

• Like 1

Have you tried messing with what's under Settings > Audio and the 'Controller Speaker' or 'Controller Speaker Volume' options?

• Like 1

How about the controller volume level? Is your game and/or party chat sent to your headset or TV?

Don't think we have controller volume level on xbox. I've looked at all the settings ingame and on the console I could find, made them all to send chat through the headset and TV speakers. Also once tried changing it to just TV speakers; no luck either way.

Have you tried messing with what's under Settings > Audio and the 'Controller Speaker' or 'Controller Speaker Volume' options?

I'm not sure that's on xbox, but I'll check.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Go to Home menu, system tab, audio, headset chat mixer, if that slider is all the way to the left or game side, slide it to the right or vc side, this hopefully helps you 

21 hours ago, Chungis said:

Go to Home menu, system tab, audio, headset chat mixer, if that slider is all the way to the left or game side, slide it to the right or vc side, this hopefully helps you 

I will try this next time I'm on. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem too and its bugging the hell out of me. my chat used to work and I can chat and hear people while the game is loading but as soon as I leave my garage in the game and start playing online it goes away I cant hear ppl nor can ppl hear me anymore?? whats the deal??my mic settings are all good in the settings

Edited by beloflash

Was trying to fix this for months even bought a new mic until I realized what the issue was. So I would be able to hear ppl and talk in the waiting period leading u to the game and about the first 30 seconds after the game loads and then NOTHING.. complete silence. Well its nothing with the settings or bugs its a mic ban. When my game loaded a message in a black box on the lower left hand side of the screen said I had been reported often and am on a mic ban until I stack up good behavior. pretty sad because I I would joke a lot on the mic and ppl have problems with that but no problems with shooting hookers and running cops over.. But thats your issue 100% sure 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

press on your tab that one where u can kill yourself and stuff and there is an option with game chat: no-one everyone, i hope this is it for everyone

• 2 weeks later...
TangentCash7693

For me to here other people i had to change my account settings. 

It will be under communication and multiplayer other players can communicate you with voice text or invites you have to change that to everybody. Probably easier to change everything to everyone or allow on that page. This is for xbox one users. Hope this helps. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, TangentCash7693 said:

For me to here other people i had to change my account settings. 

It will be under communication and multiplayer other players can communicate you with voice text or invites you have to change that to everybody. Probably easier to change everything to everyone or allow on that page. This is for xbox one users. Hope this helps. 

Explain more pls what settings is this under and in game or Xbox settings

• 3 months later...
On 3/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, CantHear said:

I can't hear game chat in free mode or during jobs(missions, heists, deathmatches, races) etc. I can ONLY hear game chat during waiting lobbies of jobs.

Game chat works on other games. Party chat works. Game chat works for me on Xbox 360 GTA but not GTA on Xbox One. Game chat used to work some time last year, but at some point game chat all the sudden stopped working.

Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem? I've tried all I could think of(chat is set to "Everyone" in the interaction menu).

Its really weird I can ONLY hear game chat during waiting lobbies but not in the actual game.

I tried searching online for a solution but could not find one. Can anyone please help?

If you download the xbox beta app and connect your phone to your xbox by screensharing or whatever it's called you can talk and hear other people that way from the phone as long as you don't have a mic plugged in.  I wish I could figure out how to just talk to others straight from the mic but I have the same problem as our which is bull

Edited by JetTank1