2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Left Shoulder View is Desperately Needed.

Rexpower_

Switching between a couple of 3rd person shooters (Especially the Division) has made me scratch my head in confusion as to why there isn't an option of switching shoulder views in Grand Theft Auto V. There was absolutely no reason for removing it, as it only hinders you when moving away from cover on your right side. Adding in a left view will benefit not only PvP, but PvE as well. Seriously it needs to be added back, it is annoying when you are trying to engage someone but they have a HUGE camera advantage on you, aiming at you while you're stuck looking at a wall. It's not only the ground view either, the Insurgent/Minigun Limo/ and that Trevor heist one are also prone to this. Honestly, the view when you're on one of those turrets is absolutely horrendous. Sure you can use the first person view, but any movement from the car screws up your aim.

There are still buttons that can be used to change the view that I have tested, and these are Y or A (or for PS users, X or Triangle). As for PC, you have a whole keyboard, something can be implemented especially for you. HOWEVER THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU ARE AIMING, AS THE "Y" BUTTON IS THE ACTION BUTTON FOR GETTING INTO CARS. The A button is used for the stealth mechanic to move faster but that's only if you hold it anyways. Just a simple button press, while aiming, will switch the view. Although, I'm not sure if it should revert back to normal after releasing the aim button or stay on the other shoulder until you manually do it.

TL;DR: Left shoulder view needs to be implemented, turrets need a "center camera" for aiming and the first person view sucks.

Definitely. Just another one of those things I thought were missing when I started playing and had since forgotten about.

Midnight Vibes

This is something that's always bothered me because it was in Red Dead Redemption and was incredibly useful. So many gunfights have you disadvantaged just because you can't switch shoulders. Plus, if they got it right in the past, why would they not include it again?

• Like 1

I hadn't considered this previously, but now that my attention is drawn to it, it IS a feature that GTA V could really use, especially considering the rather poor cover system and camera angle mechanics.

As long as we are discussing camera angles, I'd also like to have an option to independently assign camera height for vehicle types. For boats and cars I like a high camera, but when flying aircraft I much prefer having a low camera angle more in line with the vehicle's path of motion to aid in precision flying (first person view is something I am still learning). Either that, or just have another button option to adjust this on the fly.

It was in Max Payne 3 too.

From the very beginning I wish they had just taken Max Paynes shooting mechanics and transplanted them straight into V. If that were the case I would absolutely love deatmatches in this game.

• Like 1

I hadn't considered this previously, but now that my attention is drawn to it, it IS a feature that GTA V could really use, especially considering the rather poor cover system and camera angle mechanics.

As long as we are discussing camera angles, I'd also like to have an option to independently assign camera height for vehicle types. For boats and cars I like a high camera, but when flying aircraft I much prefer having a low camera angle more in line with the vehicle's path of motion to aid in precision flying (first person view is something I am still learning). Either that, or just have another button option to adjust this on the fly.

From the very start of the game I've been pushing my stick up to get the camera higher while driving. I do it all the time. Really wish that there would at LEAST be a third option. The "high" option is not that high. But low is really low.

Moving the stick to get a better perspective of where I'm going in corners is something you can't do much about, but not having to use it to properly see ahead would be nice.

From the very beginning I wish they had just taken Max Paynes shooting mechanics and transplanted them straight into V. If that were the case I would absolutely love deatmatches in this game.

Yesss that would've been the best! Imagine the shoot dodge and changing of covers! It would've been glorious!

Too bad they didn't :(

countingfingers

God. I really would love this to be implemented. For one, I've played through all of MGS:V using the shoulder swapping mechanic, and I continue to wonder, "Why the hell hasn't this become a staple for third person games. It's always a little disorienting when you're trying to shoot someone while hugging a wall, only to be blinded by the wall. It makes combat tedious and annoying, so I kind of get frustrated when I get killed because I can't get my aim properly lined up. For that reason, I think that GTAV and GTAO need some serious combat revisions to allow it to be fluid and fun.

The combat in MGS:V was excellent, and I always felt like I could hit things properly, while GTAV made me question why I missed that shot or why did it take me so long to strafe.

MitchMaljers

You're really making me urge to re-connect my 360 again... MP3 Multiplayer was such a great game.... I was around the third prestige or so.

It bothered me at first but then I realized the situations that I was in where I would have had to use it were few and far between. Being able to switch position in cover suficed and adjusting shoulder view in a gun fight is time consuming if for no other reason than animation frames.

Edited by TreFacTor

Definitely. Just another one of those things I thought were missing when I started playing and had since forgotten about.

Can't say I have ever lost entire deathmatches because there's no over the shoulder on the left side.

But this could be legit issues for some people that played shooters with that view exclusively. I came from GTA4 deathmatches, so if it wasnt in GTA4, I probably dont know the difference.

Misunderstood

Can't they just map it to the left and right dpad like in RDR (I think)? Not sure what those are mapped to in Online though.

Edited by Misunderstood

Can't they just map it to the left and right dpad like in RDR (I think)? Not sure what those are mapped to in Online though.

Right is flashlight and left is quick grenade/ detonate sticky

Can't say I have ever lost entire deathmatches because there's no over the shoulder on the left side.

But this could be legit issues for some people that played shooters with that view exclusively. I came from GTA4 deathmatches, so if it wasnt in GTA4, I probably dont know the difference.

Think you quoted the wrong post there, I wasn't talking about deathmatches or anything else as specific as that.

There's just no reason to not allow us to change which side the camera is on. Hell, they could just automatically switch it depending on which direction the character is facing. Lots of games have this basic mechanic, it's a bit weird that a big title like the latest GTA is missing this.

Then again, I could probably make a long list of small features (not content) that this game is missing, to improve the overall experience for all players.

And I probably will. And Rockstar will probably not see it or ignore it.