2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Vehicle handling, which one do you like better?

K-Bow

Do you like GTA 4s vehicle handling more or do you like GTA Vs more? I personally prefer 4s driving, flying, and 'boating'. Overall I actually liked the feeling of the cars having body roll but I wish I had the customization of the customs shops that we have now to improve power and etc. Which did you like better for vehicle handling?

GTA V's. Mostly because it isn't as floaty as IV's, and I wont spin out much. ^^

Vs is Muuuuuuch close to realism. All they need is to remove to automatic power cut when sliding and it would be near perfect.

• Like 2

I really didn't like handling in GTA4, everything felt floaty, boaty and generally unresponsive and unsatisfying. Whereas as soon as I got in the first car in GTA5 I knew I was going to get on well with it.

• Like 2

This is bound to turn into a flame war, but I'll bite:

IV has:

-Cars pivoting from where they are supposed to(front axle);

-Lock-on brakes for cars that don't have ABS;

-Body roll;

-Active suspension;

-Improved damage physics;

-Weight shift between the vehicle's axles;

-Momentum carried out by said weight, which in turn allow us to plow through traffic with ANY big vehicle;

-NOT blowning up if we land our cars in a way we didn't intend to;

V has:

-Oversteer;

-Higher sense of speed;

-fliping cars back on it's wheels(ugh);

-Supercars being faster than off-road vehicles in off-road races.

So yeah, I'm sticking with IV.

They took all the good things going on in IV and shat on it IMO.

Edited by pedinhuh

Every car felt like a boat in IV and their attachment to the road felt like slot racing.

• Like 2

VanessaMagick

GTA V, of course. It's more fluid and feels a lot less like a big dog fell asleep on the physics engine.

can't even remember what 4's vehicle handling was like

Put a bunch of ice cubes on a sliding board on a warm day...that was racing in IV and people complain about ramming in V.

O_o

Solid Scorpion

I loved IV's handling model.

I understand why allot of people hated it but I loved that body roll. It made throwing the ass end out and controlling it that more intense.

I liked the way it discouraged smashing over curbs at 100MPH too.

Saying that, it's been that long if I went back to IV now I'd probably be wrecking on every corner.

• Like 2

GTA IV felt way more realistic to me, that's why I prefer it over GTA V's handling.

• Like 2

Put a bunch of ice cubes on a sliding board on a warm day...that was racing in IV and people complain about ramming in V.

O_o

Meh..

I never really get comments like that.. I always see people claim that the vehicles where like boats or on ice. But,,, im not sure what game people where playing when they say that.

GTA V has barely any suspension. the cars have waaaaay to much traction in GTA V. In GTA 4 we could drift around blocks. Its next to impossible on GTA 4 with most cars.

To those who say the driving in GTA 4 was like riding boats or sliding on ice. Well... wheres the proof? I don't remember it like that.. Even the few videos i just googled shows that its not like that.

I mean.. you can see the suspension in action.. But i don't see any boats or ice effect going on.

• Like 3

O_o

Meh..

I never really get comments like that.. I always see people claim that the vehicles where like boats or on ice. But,,, im not sure what game people where playing when they say that.

GTA V has barely any suspension. the cars have waaaaay to much traction in GTA V. In GTA 4 we could drift around blocks. Its next to impossible on GTA 4 with most cars.

To those who say the driving in GTA 4 was like riding boats or sliding on ice. Well... wheres the proof? I don't remember it like that.. Even the few videos i just googled shows that its not like that.

I mean.. you can see the suspension in action.. But i don't see any boats or ice effect going on.

You can't tell a car needs an aligntment by watching someone drive it. You have to get behind the wheel to feel the pull.

Its preference and there's no real right or wrong answer to OP'S question. Unless you did a digital foundry side by side check with a top gear documentary backing up any "proof" provided, it's all just preference.

Edited by TreFacTor
  • Like 2

I don't mind so much now, but the jump between IV and V's driving physics was staggering at first... in the sense that V's felt severely dumbed-down.

IV's may have been a little too floaty, but in general I much preferred them to V's. At least cars had a somewhat believable sense of weight to them.

I don't mind so much now, but the jump between IV and V's driving physics was staggering at first... in the sense that V's felt severely dumbed-down.

IV's may have been a little too floaty, but in general I much preferred them to V's. At least cars had a somewhat believable sense of weight to them.

Thats really whats missing in GTA V, is a sense of weight and suspension. That seems to have been removed from GTA V, cars seem to be weightless and have way to much traction in most cases. Until you loose traction and go flying.

Edited by HulioG
  • Like 3

I like GTA IV's Physics overall.

However Car Handling I prefer GTA V's

Here is a reminder:

O_o

Meh..

The understeer in that video was painful to watch, it reminded me of what I didn't like about it. That's what people mean when they say it was boatish, at least I do.

More realistic maybe but not as fun.

O_o

Meh..

The understeer in that video was painful to watch, it reminded me of what I didn't like about it. That's what people mean when they say it was boatish, at least I do.

I think you guys see things that don't exist. All the vehicles handled differently just as they do in GTA V. Some had more understeer some had oversteer.

I don't see how drifting and a working suspension are BAD? Because thats exactly what they removed. The vehicles in GTA V still handle the same way, they are just more weightless, lack suspension and have alot more traction. Thats pretty much it.

Member's Only

They dumbed down the entire physics engine on GTA V.

They even disabled Euphoria, you need mods to manually enable it.

My Insurgent has enough weight and suspension to suit my needs.

Funny you bring up the insurgent. Because heres proof of what im saying. Watch whats supposed to be a heavy vehicle nudge over a much Heavier truck like the truck is weightless... Then while the insurgent is going full speed, easily come to a stop.. then drives into a parked PV and sends it flying.

Wheres the suspension and weight? Hell none of that even makes sense. Sure its funny to see... but its still silly. Like i said.. they removed suspension and weight from vehicles.

Basically as soon as traction is gone in GTA your car is a feather... and it will fly. This is also why i can PIT an Insurgent while i ride a street bike.

Edited by HulioG
  • Like 3

Well I still enjoy it. To each his own.

Hey man.. I enjoy it too. I love GTA V.

But i do miss how the cars handled in GTA 4 when it came to sliding around.. and suspension bobble.

None of that exists in GTA V. Not that it makes me hate GTA V driving. But i do miss that... and it sort of annoys me when players claim it was like riding a boat or driving on ice. Im just like WTF game where you guys playing?

Sure it was more slidey and bouncey... But thats not a bad thing IMO.

Closest thing to GTA 4 driving now is muscle cars

Edited by HulioG

O_o

Meh..

I think you guys see things that don't exist. All the vehicles handled differently just as they do in GTA V. Some had more understeer some had oversteer.

I don't see how drifting and a working suspension are BAD? Because thats exactly what they removed. The vehicles in GTA V still handle the same way, they are just more weightless, lack suspension and have alot more traction. Thats pretty much it.

It's all in the video you posted, in the Comet race it takes the driver about five minutes to get round every corner. Understeer overload and that was in a Comet, not known for it's understeer.

I agree with you in some respects though, drifting was a lot better in 4 and the weight of the vehicles does feel too light in 5.

Sure my friend, because it's the only f*cking vehicle in the game with any kind of weight at all.

shadowoperative

Sure my friend, because it's the only f*cking vehicle in the game with any kind of weight at all.

I love it.

IV handling was much more fun and sophisticated, as soon as I got off the boat in IV I loved it from the start.

They sucked all the fun out of driving in V and made it bland and soulless specifically for casuals that don't care much about driving.

IV kinda feels like a dumbed down sim, was a good mix.

Then V was like a really dumbed down IV.

Edited by ?!=+_-
  • Like 2