3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

"Death From Above" contact mission discussion

darkgreenmeme

darkgreenmeme

"In his foolishness, an old associate of mine is preparing to testify against me, I want him gone, and I want proof of his departure - a photograph. He's barricaded in his mansion surrounded by bodyguards and police so you'll have to use your mind. Parachute in, fly or, I don't know, anything."

Martin contact mission, 1-4 players, opens at R23 [GTA Wiki]

Feel free to discuss your favorite methods and techniques for playing this mission, and disseminate any information about how the mission might change between updates.

darkgreenmeme

This is an easy mission to do with an armored Kuruma, but not so easy without one.

I have yet to do this one without an armored vehicle, but it must be possible because the mission existed before the heists update.

This is an easy mission to do with an armored Kuruma, but not so easy without one.

I have yet to do this one without an armored vehicle, but it must be possible because the mission existed before the heists update.

Try it out with a Buzzard ;)

I still remember the first time I played this mission, it was awful!

I couldn't afford the Buzzard & I haven't unlocked the Heavy armor yet.

I couldn't get a Helicopter to spawn anywhere, the MerryWeather helicopter never landed for me & Lester never answered his phone.

I used a Benson to jump over the wall, I died before I landed on the other side.

Sometime later, I have a Buzzard now! I killed everyone in that compound lol, you know what they say, Revenge is a Dish Served Cold.

After playing it a plenty of times, I perfected a couple of strategies for it:

A) The Buzzard.

Approach from the West, hover at a safe distance & shoot everyone with the rockets.

When the Police Helicopters show up, destroy them & return to killing everyone in the compound. Once you clear everyone, land, take a picture & evade the cops ... Flying between the skyscrapers in downtown LS will do it.

B) The Sniper rifle.

Use a Helicopter to land on the rooftop on the building west of the compound & use the sniper rifle to kill everyone, take the picture, evade the cops & meet Martin.

Edited by IceDree
  • Like 2

I find this to be probably the hardest mission to do in the game without loosing a life. I pretty much always go in on foot and I have no problems up until the point where you have killed the target, taken the photograph and then need to escape the mansion. This is the bit for me that proves to be really hard. I think only on one occasion that I can recall have I actually escaped the mansion grounds without dying. I guess it actually makes it easier to die at this point as of course dying spawns you outside the mansion where it is then just a matter of loosing the wanted level but I hate to die so it is frustrating for me that I die so often at this stage.

Another issue with this mission is that once you loose the wanted level the GPS route takes you right past the mansion again so you get a wanted level back again if you follow it. So as most people probably do I've learnt to take an alternative route to Martin's place.

Rockstar Games used footage from this mission in the GTAonline trailer, in the scene the players were parachuting to the compound & killing everyone while airborne (thus comes the name: Death From Above)

Did anyone succeed using this method?

Semaj 2JZ♢

There's only ever been two answers. Tank to begin with, AK ever since it came to be. Sure, parachute in and get a few kills. Now comes the 3 star wanted level, tons of never ending cops and 2 crappy cars in the compound for escape...

Maybe as a 4 player attempt, 3 good players could annihilate enemies and do whatever necessary to insure the survival of 1, but solo? Pshh, I'm no slouch at missions but even on Easy, you are in for a rough, costly ammo usage, nightmare, that probably won't be worth the end payment after ammo costs are figured in. Avoid mission at all costs, imo.

darkgreenmeme

You get 3 stars only when you kill a cop. I've done this where I drive in with an Armored Kuruma, just kill and photograph the target, and leave with 2 stars.

darkgreenmeme

Some of notes on behavior/limits of this mission:

Although you can kill the target from a few sniping positions outside of the compound, but you cannot trigger the "photograph target" objective without triggering the "go to mansion" objective first. To trigger the "go to mansion" objective, you must get close enough to the yellow marker, which triggers the alarm. This area is entirely within the compound walls. I must conclude that there is no way to do this mission entirely stealth. You CAN call Lester to chill out the cops, but if you are spotted near the compound, you get a one star wanted level and police backup eventually shows up. Killing any cop or bodyguard will raise the wanted level to 3, but trespassing and being spotted will only get you two.

I haven't non-Kuruma/non-Pegasus soloed it yet, but the approach that I've been working on is breaching the compound on the west side, either by parachuting in, or over the wall with a tall truck. There's a conveniently placed concrete barrier for cover on top of the decking on the west side of the pool. The biggest problem is finding enough cover to get the photo.

Edited by darkgreenmeme

yoshi626262

I seen 1 person who just went to the end place before you get the pic. Makes the mission faster.

yoshi626262

I still never done docks to stocks. That mission is hard. Stealing a cargo bob and getting away from the cops is hard already. But killing some more "cops" then pick the box up then put it down use the cargo bob to pick it up with a wanted level still. Get away then put it down. Even with a heli or ar. Most people suck with the cargobob.

when I was a low level with no Attack chopper I discovered that this mission was easier for me to solo cause I didn't have teammates wasting lives.

I'd call for a helicopter pickup. Then I'd fly to one of the flat roofed houses just north of the mansion. Get out and snipe as many of the guards as possible. Once I got as many as I could see or the police were getting too close for comfort I'd get back in the chopper and fly to the roof of the mansion, kill the guy if I didn't get him already and take his pic. I'd usually die trying to get out but I'd spawn back alive somewhere out of the mansion and be able to lose cops and finish the mission.

Not the most stealthy skilled way of going about it but it worked for me :)

• Like 1

I used the Buzzard technique last night that IceDree mentioned and it worked in that I was finally able to complete the mission without loosing a life (and without the Armoured Kuruma obviously). Only on one other occasion before have I escaped the mansion grounds without dying but in that instance I think the cops killed me as I was trying to loose the wanted level so even then I lost a life. Anyway doing the Buzzard technique mentioned above and approaching from the west worked for me though I took a lot of damage from a police helicopter and my Buzzard was smoking by the time I got rid of the enemy heli. I was surprised actually that it held out for the rest of the mission but I just about managed to pull it off.

hornedturtle

Snipe the guards on the roof

Drive ya super or sports or coupe killing guards on ya way into mansion

Kill target

Take photo

Feel free to die

Enjoy your walk to the house.

Tails Prower

Well thank you for making the topic of this mission.

For those not in my friend/PM regular list I am working on a series of videos for completing missions solo on Hard without loss of life and this one is proving somewhat of a nemesis.

I have tried many methods without the Kuruma but seem to fail every time but there are some interesting tips here.

Personally from recent experiences I do not believe it is possible to do this by simply going in on foot into the mansion anymore, there appear to be

multiple re-spawn enemies that will appear behind you as you try to progress to the target.

Originally I tried doing the method of use the buzzard to land on the roof of the mansion, this then allows you to kill the two roof guards without alerting the rest of the compound.

Then I rained hell on the guards in the compound down below using tear gas and rockets to blow up all the vehicles, the idea thinking that it will give me enough time to photograph

the corpse and then grab one of the sports cars for the getaway however it seems our cops/FIB friends are immune to tear gas and as I was taking the photo *BLAM* headshot in the

back and life lost.

Spawn outside compound with 4 stars result in instant death.

Second method I tried going up in my car to the entrance and then proceeded to clobber the guard outside the gate, then I sniped the two on the roof top and threw a grenade in

the gate to blow up the Granger/kill nearby guards and then run round and killed the target and tried the bribe cops method but the stars refused to flash and as I tried to take the

photo cop gun fire cancelled the photo and by the time the animation was finished I was dead again and instant death outside the compound.

Third time I tried the Buzzard but those blindfire guns had it destroyed in less than a minute as somehow they managed to make it smoke even though I was nowhere near the building

and crashed to my untimely demise.

At this point I gave up in rage and though Rhino tank next time.

Edited by tails_prower_2040

DentureDynamite
Feel free to die

Enjoy your walk to the house.

Now if only that worked in VIP Hostile Takeover work. Not a chance.

I thought Death from Above was bad; your worst nightmare is dying in LSIA Hostile Takeover while trying to retrieve the briefcase. Yes, R* has a new means of accomplishing their vendetta against us, the GTAO player. They may as well re-spawn you wounded and drunk in the middle of the ocean with sharks and a five-star wanted level.

(Slightly OT, but I need to post video footage of an NPC in a gang attack clearly shooting me through a wall--complete with hand and gun sticking through. Finally have proof of that kind of in-game nonsense going on.)

Back on-topic: IMO this mission is impossible to complete without an Armored Kuruma. Even an Insurgent would leave you open to getting picked off easily by R*bots that simply can't miss. Once again, R* went beyond the absurd with the terminator NPCs. It's no wonder most people don't bother playing this to be creative--you really can't be.

Edited by DentureDynamite
  • Like 1

Rockstar Games used footage from this mission in the GTAonline trailer, in the scene the players were parachuting to the compound & killing everyone while airborne (thus comes the name: Death From Above)

Did anyone succeed using this method?

I've long wanted to recreate this and did to some degree several times w my main buddies on 360, two of us would jump from eclipse tower then parachute onto the roof and a third picked us up in a buzzard...not quite how they did it in the trailer but parachuting at least.

The method I use works pretty reliably -- go to the North/West gate, shoot the guard and toss a grenade through the gate, back up to get cover while the grenade does its job, rush in and take out roof guy and any ground survivors between the gate and the back yard, get right up against the building and head to the back yard, kill the guys across the pool before you round the corner, stay up against the building, round the corner, pop the target and bodyguard, get a pic of the guy. Hide behind the table and armor up as needed, retrace your steps out of there and into your car outside the gate, lose the cops, drive up to Madrazo's. It's a challenge, but not too bad, if you die it almost makes it easier to get back to your car.

Not as safe as a Kuruma, but a hell of a lot more fun.

• Like 3

The somewhat tedious no kuruma method I used about a week or so ago: get buzzard. Snipe from top of eclipse towers. Take out one police copter and fly to lose cops. Repeat. After losing cops the second time, there were few enough guards left that I flew in and got the target and maybe three other guards, took the photo, and left. I picked the buzzard over the frogger for its smaller main rotor, I didn't use the buzzard's weapons at all.

Edited by kringled
  • Like 1

hornedturtle

^^ If you have video footage of it, would love to see this..!

Are you asking me or kuruma method?

DentureDynamite

lol I think I just stink as a gamer. I can try these techniques, but doubt I'll survive long enough to complete it. :)

Weedell's non-Armored Kuruma method; I've got to try it and see what happens. :)

• Like 1

Tails Prower

lol I think I just stink as a gamer. I can try these techniques, but doubt I'll survive long enough to complete it. :)

Weedell's non-Armored Kuruma method; I've got to try it and see what happens. :)

No pressure or anything but if you pull it off let me know as I need a method that works for my video.

• Like 1

Not my video, but very similar method:

Things I think I improve on over what's depicted there --

- I park on the south side of the street, maybe 10ft West of the gate, kill outside guard before throwing grenade and ignore the east roof guy.

- Stay closer to the building, I don't go into the pool.

- I don't usually call Lester, the faster you move the less helpful it'll be.

• Like 2

DentureDynamite

^^ (re: hornedturtle vid) Just a quick tip--you can walk up some pretty step inclines by pulling out a gun, aiming it, and then walking up as you aim.

(re: Weedell's reference vid) Hmm...so it's possible to remove the wanted level on any mission except Lester's own missions ("Hi, this Lester; I don't answer my phone...")? Also, do you remove the wanted level or just stick it out?

• Like 1

I had seen this a while back, but this was posted by Rockstar on the newswire, for those interested in doing this non-Kuruma: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52277/rockstar-game-tips-mastering-the-most-challenging-gta

Yep, That's the one.

But you will need a professional crew, otherwise its a waste of time & Ammo ... Might as well Deliver the emp instead ;)

I used the Buzzard technique last night that IceDree mentioned and it worked in that I was finally able to complete the mission without loosing a life (and without the Armoured Kuruma obviously). Only on one other occasion before have I escaped the mansion grounds without dying but in that instance I think the cops killed me as I was trying to loose the wanted level so even then I lost a life. Anyway doing the Buzzard technique mentioned above and approaching from the west worked for me though I took a lot of damage from a police helicopter and my Buzzard was smoking by the time I got rid of the enemy heli. I was surprised actually that it held out for the rest of the mission but I just about managed to pull it off.

Glad it worked :)

If you still have problems with the police helicopters, try to evade them once they start closing in on you ... Fly in a different direction than one they are coming from (I.e. If they are approaching from the North east, head east or if they approaching from the south, head west... And so on) ... That way the helicopters will lose momentum when it adjusts the direction... You can use that to your advantage. The Buzzard can out run Police Mavericks.

I haven't non-Kuruma/non-Pegasus soloed it yet, but the approach that I've been working on is breaching the compound on the west side, either by parachuting in, or over the wall with a tall truck. There's a conveniently placed concrete barrier for cover on top of the decking on the west side of the pool. The biggest problem is finding enough cover to get the photo.

If you can get your hand on a Helicopter, land at the Eclipse Tower & use the Heavy Sniper to take out the guards on the eastern section of the compound (if memory serves, the driveway have the most amount of guards)

Once you clear it out, take the helicopter for a ride around download LS to lose the cops ... Then you can parachute to the compound from the west, take out the target & remaining guards.

Of course, your personal vehicle would be prepositioned next to the gate from an easy & convenient getaway.

I don't recommend the truck method, but good luck

• Like 1

Phantomspirit

Easily solo'd with Karuma,drive in ,take photo from car and scram....