1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Misunderstood

What are your favorite Rockstar years?

Favorite Era?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What years are your favorite?

• 1997-1999 (GTA, Body Harvest, GTA 2)
    • 2001-2007 (GTA 3, GTA: San Andreas, Bully, Max Payne)
    • 2008-2012 (GTA IV, Max Payne 3, L.A Noire, Red Dead Redemption)
    • 2013-present (GTA V, GTA Online)

Curtis

i chose the GTA III years.

also, who's the one person who voted 2013? those years are nothing but two horrible things yet, atleast to the GTA Community. GTA V and GTA O.

Edited by Bender

zuckmeslow

4qr4eh.png

i know. its a fun game that feels very intense. i feel like max payne 3 was going for that found footage style in the cutscenes but the gameplay was just a little bit too repetitive during certain parts.

max payne 3 just needed a better setting. shanghai is much cooler than favelas. thats just my opinion though, i would say max payne 3 is a solid 7 out of 10.

Kane & Lynch 2: is Dog sh*t. Easily one of the worst shooters I've played.

The first Kane & Lynch though, Dead Men? isn't bad at all.

I actually really liked dog days. It was rough but the setting and atmosphere was fantastic. The found footage look is also something that adds alot to the game. I was playing it the other day again and i still think its a great third person shooter. I cant help but think, what if max payne 3 took place in shanghai. It makes more sense, max payne is based on the films of john woo, and even though shanghai is not hong kong, its alot closer in style to a hong kong action movie. Kane and lynch just needed a better physics engine.

Keano

Don't forget the State of Emergency, Smuggler's Run series and ONI for 2000-2007!!

2008 - 2012 was awesome but for childhood memories, 2000-2007. The titles were also more edgy then i:e Manhunt series and 3D GTA games had decapitations.

I miss Midnight Club. Best racing games in my opinion. Doesn't look like we'll have another one :(

Edited by Keano

Cheatz/Trickz

1 vote for 2013-present.

LOL.

Damn, Rockstar have really gone to sh*t.

Maibatsu545

No. You completely misunderstood my entire post. Don't bother responding to me if you lack the reading comprehension to understand what I'm saying and get angry.

Nah, i completly understand what you said, R* didn't got neutered by the hot cofee controversy, otherwise they wouldn't had played with Bully's controversy, R* didn't turned into a crowd pleaser, otherwise they wouldn't had taken gta in another direction (one they ultimately dropped because of a very vocal portion of the fanbase) you can even make a case of SA being more a crowd pleaser while IV is more artsy and pretentious.

Don't do like Osho and blame everyone's "reading" comprehension, you are the one who presents the weak points.

You can't just say you understand what I'm saying and then prove that you don't with the rest of your words lol. That's not how it works. You're going off on some rant against GTA4 when I'm not even a fan of that game. All of your points fail terribly. But Please try harder to sound smarter than you are, it amuses me.

@CheatzNtrickz too true my man! It seems the "magic" has been lost. Oh well. They had a good run.

Edited by Maibatsu545

Queen

1 vote for 2013-present.

LOL.

I'm not convinced. I predict we'll look back one day and the feeling of nostalgia will overcome all of the atrocities.

Well.

One can hope.

:p

B Dawg

1 vote for 2013-present.

LOL.

I'm not convinced. I predict we'll look back one day and the feeling of nostalgia will overcome all of the atrocities.

Well.

One can hope.

:p

GTA V, and Nostalgia? Hah!

PhillBellic

I wonder who that Lone Voter is? :p

Bare

2001-present & future

Since GTA 3 it's been amazing and it's only getting better.

MythicalCreature

Voted for 2001-07. But that's just because i haven't played anything from any of the other eras :blush: so that vote may change.

jeanrjm

2001-2011

Ten years of glory, then the fall

UrbanAdventuring

I have to go with 2001-07. Bully, San Andreas, and Vice City are just amazing games. Liberty City Stories was also pretty good, and I hear Vice City Stories was good even though I never had a chance to play it. GTA 3 still feels classic. It feels more noir than LA Noire at times. The main thing against GTA 3, understandably, is the lack of vehicles, especially motorcycles. That's why I prefer LC Stories.

2008-12 is close. Red Dead Redemption shines above them all, but LA Noire is a great game that mixes detective stuff I used to do on Police Quest with open world action and a realistic map of LA. GTA IV was pretty good, but it needed some more open areas and the ability to fly planes without mods.

2013 onward makes me worry about Rockstar's future in game franchises. Sure GTA V had a nice map, but the missions left a lot to be desired compared to San Andreas' vast assortment of missions (it's not just about count, but locations and types of activities involved.) I really felt cheated when I found out many goodies were reserved for GTA V Online, where I have to deal with kids cheating and killing me out of no where. I would get the PC version but I don't think my machine can handle it. It barely runs Fallout 4 on low settings.

Edited by UrbanAdventuring

GroovyQ

2001 - 2007 because max payne 2, GTA III and San Andreas are some of my favorite games of all time

Sonicguy41

2008-2012 i was going through an Action/Adventure phase and GTA IV was just the game i needed to play.

Lethal Vaccine

2001-2008, strict. 2001-2010, not strict. 2010 counts TBoGT and CW included. But 2001-2008 are where the real gems of the Series are found.

Granted, if Rockstar quit after VCS (2006-7), I wouldn't of cared less. So maybe it's best for me to just say 2001-2007 and say 3D > HD.

Edited by MetalMilitia89

acmilano

2001-2007.Still my favorite era. Later games were good,but sill like 3D the most.

Stoney0503

I find it unfair that GTA V is seperated from MP3, RDR and all the other HD era games, GTA V is part of that era.

Shenmue18

I'd say 2001-2007, even though it's really close, I'd go with that for the larger volume of great games that they made in that period.

I find it unfair that GTA V is seperated from MP3, RDR and all the other HD era games, GTA V is part of that era.

I guess because everyone feels like GTA V is a new direction for R*, with the focus generally being more to the online than the single player.

Stoney0503

I guess because everyone feels like GTA V is a new direction for R*, with the focus generally being more to the online than the single player.

That's not really a good enough reason at all to separate GTA V from the rest of the HD era games, GTA V was initially released on the PS3 and X360 so it counts as being part of the PS3/X360 HD era.

Shenmue18

That's not really a good enough reason at all to separate GTA V from the rest of the HD era games, GTA V was initially released on the PS3 and X360 so it counts as being part of the PS3/X360 HD era.

Yeah, I guess they just want to bully the fat kid and pick on GTA V some more as well, lol. Not that it matters for me, since I'd be voting for the 2001-2007 era either way :p

Keano

1 vote for 2013-present.

LOL.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind GTA V is the only thing we've seen. Another Red Dead, Bully 2 perhaps and AGENT along with Max Payne 4 and this period would rap up nicely not to mention that GTA VI will probably have an announcement.

Edited by Keano

B Dawg

I'd say 2001-2007, even though it's really close, I'd go with that for the larger volume of great games that they made in that period.

And because V's gameplay was dumbed down sh*t and all.

Misunderstood

Nah, I really wish I had put MP3 in with V. The reason I put V and Online in their own place is because I felt it did take their games in a new direction with a heavy focus on Online and just the difference in tone and direction. I agree though, it probably would have been a better idea to put V in with the RDR and the others and put Online in its own or just say f*ck it and put them all together but oh well, what's done is done.

Sunrise Driver

2003 - GTA VC PC, MC2, Max Payne 2.

2005 - GTA SA PC, MC3, Warriors, GTA LCS.

2008 - GTA IV, Bully SE PC, MC LA, MC LA Remix.

Cheatz/Trickz

Not necessarily. Keep in mind GTA V is the only thing we've seen. Another Red Dead, Bully 2 perhaps and AGENT along with Max Payne 4 and this period would rap up nicely not to mention that GTA VI will probably have an announcement.

I think Agent is long dead. And the other potential sequels are barely even rumours, just fans specualting.

Stoney0503

Not really, that's a matter of opinion, a lot of people would disagree with you on that, so doesn't really warrant the game being separated from the rest.

O.Z

I wonder who that Lone Voter is? :p

shadowoperative

Shenmue18

Everyone knows I'm the furthest thing from a GTA V fan but that's not really a reason for it to not be considered part of the HD-Era, bro. just because The Godfather III disappointed a lot of the fans of The Godfather series, doesn't mean it's not part of The Godfather trilogy.

Van_Hellsing

Gta Vice City was the most immersive of the whole gta franchise. Although the story was a complete rip off from Scarface, I enjoyed the Miami Vice atmosphere from the 80's a lot.

Max Payne was ok. I realise there are a lot of MP fanboys in this threat, I just do not like shooters on rails. My bad.

Instead RDR was great. What was not great was the online part.

Jmac

I've enjoyed all the eras, but would probably say I enjoyed Vice City and San Andreas the most with GTA IV close behind.

LA Noire and RDR were both one and done games for me. I enjoyed RDR but the ending killed it for me. LA Noire felt more like work than anything.

Edited by Jmac