2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

How would you rate the characters in GTA IV?

Algonquin Assassin

How would you rate the chracters in GTA IV?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the characters in GTA IV?

Algonquin Assassin

For me it's a 9/10. It only loses a point because I've never really liked Manny, but other than him I love the majority of the characters and find them to be exceptionallly well written. :)

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

The Dedito Gae

Each one of them serve his purpose, rating them 9/10 because i don't find Dimitri to be a good character or antagonist.

• Like 2

9/10. Elizabeta Torres and Manny were annoying, at least for me. The characters are well written, and have a variety and diversity in them. Each characters have proper and interesting backstory, including the random encounter characters. The game has the most lovable characters in any GTA game IMO.

• Like 2

8/10 for me. There's a good variety and they all are believable and fit the world of Liberty City and the serious tone of IV. But still have some humor at times. Their dialogue and Niko's interaction with them always makes watching cutscenes enjoyable.

9/10 for sure. I think Bernie was a bit annoying and I wasn't a fan of Manny either.

But for the most part GTA IV had a terrific cast led of course by the best GTA protag so far. The characters were all believable and grounded (something thats not very common in GTA) and they felt "real". Be it major characters like Roman or even random encounters like Marnie

The classic GTA humor and satire were still there just less in your face and forced (like it was in V).

Edited by Journey_95

Lester-The-Molester

The classic GTA humor and satire were still there just less in your face and forced (like it was in V).

If this was in the V section, people would lose their sh*t for mentioning IV in a thread that has nothing to do with it. Not bashing your post. You're free to say whatever you want, just pointing that out.

OT: 9/10

It loses 1 point because of LJ being abit underused.

If this was in the V section, people would lose their sh*t for mentioning IV in a thread that has nothing to do with it. Not bashing your post. You're free to say whatever you want, just pointing that out.

OT: 9/10

It loses 1 point because of LJ being abit underused.

lol true. But unlike many GTA V fans I'm not going overboard with it. Just saying that the satire was a bit overdone in V

Edited by Journey_95

Algonquin Assassin

Seems to be a pattern emerging that some of us don't like Manny. What are the reasons for you guys? Just curious. For me it's whole "streets" thing that he jams down Niko's throat everytime he's on screen. Like damn lol.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Seems to be a pattern emerging that some of us don't like Manny. What are the reasons for you guys? Just curious. For me it's whole "streets" thing that he jams down Niko's throat everytime he's on screen. Like damn lol.

Yeah same. Also his missions weren't fun at all (especially The Puerto Rican connection).

Still I wouldn't get rid of him, like the rest he has his place and Elizabeta killing him and his reporter was a good scene. Niko's comments were hilarious.

btw I think Elizabeta was a good character and I would have liked to see more of her.

Edited by Journey_95

Lester-The-Molester

Well his missions were bait annoying. (following the drug dealer and the train)

But when it comes to his personality its how he says he tries to clean the streets and whatnot but cares too much about things like if he's looking gay or not on TV.

• Like 1

TheOneLibertonian

I voted a 9. Most characters in GTA IV were very memorable and the way they interact with Niko both as the player and the character, felt really immersed into the world of greed, corruption, and lies. Liberty City maybe is a city of lies, but the story was soo good, and that's partly to the characters. From Niko to Alejandra, I really find most of them really interesting and the small characters serve purpose well to the story. It only had a 9 due to some chump named Manny "The Streets" Escuela. I really find this character irritating and annoying. Whenever I replay IV, I did take my time with his mission strand, but he was so annoying I nearly punched the TV out of annoyance. He serves as the lowpoint of GTA IV's story and characters. But overall, this GTA had the best cast of characters, apart from Vice City. In which had amazing characters, but that's for another thread at the VC forum.

• Like 1

HaythamKenway

Overall, easily my favorite cast in the whole series. I have some issues with characterization here and there (did Florian really need to be that flamboyant?) and some characters are perhaps a little straightforward and flat (Manny, Vlad, Dwayne, Jacob), but honestly, that's complaining for the sake of complaining. Most characters are grounded, believable, likable and interesting with shades of complexity.

• Like 1

Misunderstood

9/10 and it deserves it. I remember every character (From Roman to Eddie Low to Issac, who did the diamond dealings) and I hate very few of them. Only one I can really think of is Derrick, he just annoyed the sh*t out of me. Manny, I hated in a lovable annoying fashion. Niko Bellic is still the best protagonist in the GTA games and the second best character after Ryder, of course. Roman is f*cking awesome and I can't think of one character I hate a lot.

Edited by Misunderstood
  • Like 1

Great writting;

Great acting;

Nice backstories for most of characters;

None of them are trying to be a forced parody of something.

9/10

I only don't give it a 10 because they are not perfect, but I like them that way.

I dont like him because his missions sucks, and he is very annoying.

For me it's a clear 10/10 since no video game got me like that before, having a deep look in to the characters and learn their stories.

i rate 9/10 because bulgarin in TBOGT wasn't as good as in IV. he did have good scenes though, like when he calls you to open the box, and shows you the chopped off head of the cook. that was scary :*(

Edited by Niobium
  • Like 1

i rate 9/10 because bulgarin in TBOGT wasn't as good as in IV. he did have good scenes though, like when he calls you to open the box, and shows you the chopped off head of the cook. that was scary :*(

Yeah but apart from a few moments he didn't feel threatening at all, they turned him into a joke in Tbogt.

The whole Rockstar thing was just bad. Still wish he had a bigger role in IV and that Niko would be the one who killed him.

I gave them all a strong 9/10, since I loved them all (and I hated the ones I should hate).

And to be honest I believe Manny was written very well, as his role was meant to be "reformed" yet extremely annoying preaching gangsta. Notice that even Niko says "I was tired of him as soon as I saw him" and "Not so. For one, I won't have to listen to him talk."

GTA series was always known for well written characters and IV is great example of this.

• Like 4

9/10, a couple derelict bad apples here and there but other than that, I really liked the cast.

Someone voted 4/10... Bret Hart?

The Dedito Gae

Someone voted 4/10... Bret Hart?

I can assure you the only hitman that visits the IV section voted 9/10.

Its understandable that very few like Manny. He is fake, annoying, a pussy. And has a really irritating voice that he always uses for no reason. Screw that guy.

Thread should be about rating each character individually.

Time to rate!

Niko: How he was written, what he stood for, the hypocrisy, the fighting skillz, the dark history, the determination and had the eye of the tiger 9.95/10.

Antagonists: They knew they shouldn't of f*cked with a guy like Niko. They had connections and power, pulling the strings behind Niko's back. Snitches, bitchez and assholes. 8.9/10

Niko's friends/respect list: 9/10

Random characters: Had some depth to it for random characters 7.5/10

Overall: 9.95+

8=

35.85/40 =

8.9 Therefore 9

E: Had to revote.

Edited by UshaB

9/10, not perfect but brilliant enough to make me like them.

Vlad was an annoying dick that i really want to beat up. Served his character purpose.

Killing Dimitri was satisfying. He sold Niko to Bulgarin, burnt the Bellics out Hove Beach and kidnapped Roman which crossed the line.

Niko. I remember the time when we got our first talking protagonist, Tommy. Felt it was neat, now we've got a emotionally damaged, war vet protagonist. Awesome

Roman. Both a comic relief and a good friend to Niko. Hanging out with him is fun.

Packie. My favourite GTA friend. He gives no sh*t and i like his sense of humour.

Brucie. An idiot but i like his personality lol

Little Jacob. Second favourite GTA friend, a loyal Jamaican bad ass. We could use more of his story.

Pegorino. I like his story too, his ambition to be recognized that led to his downfall is brilliant. You can feel he's a lot under pressure near the end of the story. Niko f*cking the deal was the last straw. But tbh, even though he's a great antagonist, i find him much less threatening than Dimitri.

Phill Bell. Paranoid mob guy, love that.

Manny Escuela. Yeah i disliked him the most but i admit some of his quotes are funny.

Edited by rampage08
  • Like 2

8/10. Some could've been fleshed out more (such as Badman, wanted to see more of him), some could've been dialed back a bit (like Manny and being f*cking annoying.)