2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

"I Play GTA Online": Fighting Psychopathic Sterotypes of Viole

Eggobites90

If video games come up in conversation, how do you acknowledge that you play GTA and dodge the inevitable "that's what future school shooters and hooker rapists play" stereotype?

I will tell that person that he is a f*cking idiot and never talk with him again

Edited by Flafty

Nobody I talk to would say that...

Also, unless your social group consists of Jack Thompson's family, who would call you a 'future serial killer' for playing one of the most mainstream games this century?

I will tell that person that he is a f*cking idiot and never talk with him again

Way to prove them right.

Edited by Ruiᴎ

I was actually expecting this thread to be about some kind of crazy cool psycho called Viole.

To answer your question if someone did say that to me I'd just say "yes" and stare at them intensely in silence. Then we'd both laugh. I'm a long way past giving a sh*t what other people think about what I do for fun.

• Like 2

that's what future school shooters and hooker rapists play

Said no-one ever.

• Like 11

I'd tell them, "Even though I relentlessly kill and grief people in online video games, and delight in their suffering, and spew an endlsess stream of hostile, racist, sexist vitrol into the microphone, in real life I am an unmitigated wimp, a total sissy. So don't worry about me."

Lol i'm sorry but GTA is extremely light compared to the other games I play... If a friend ever asked me what game i'm playing and I mention GTA their reply would be 'oh thank god, he's being normal today.'

SkynetOnlineID

Do people really ask this of you OP?

I want to this know too. I've talked to a lot of people who play video games and not once have any of them mentioned this stereotype.

If video games come up in conversation, how do you acknowledge that you play GTA and dodge the inevitable "that's what future school shooters and hooker rapists play" stereotype?

Yeah because the first thing that comes to mind from playing Pong is a school shooting.

Or, Yeah because Pacman soooo helps promote my pill popping habit /sarcasm

I would laugh in their face.

Those idiots are the same clowns who think Heavy Metal music is the devils' work.

If multi-media influences behaviour (it doesn't) they should be more concerned with Soap Operas.

Rape, incest, child abuse, murder, violence, suicide, conspiracies, and generally unpleasant behaviour all feature regularly in these programs.

Oh, but wait, those are mainstream programs. Can't touch those. lol.

• Like 3

TeammateHelper

Never got asked that question. It's mainstream. Even my non-gamer friends know GTa, even at least for the satirical company names.

I'll ask that person if they ever seen anyone who played Mario Bros ever squashing mushrooms and tortoises and breaking brick cubes to find gold coins, special mushroom, and glowing flower.

Edited by luisniko
  • Like 2

Proudly tell them before they ask ,in fact boast about it and remind them how violent the game is then look them straight in the eye and ask if they have any problems, solved.

Proudly tell them before they ask ,in fact boast about it and remind them how violent the game is then look them straight in the eye and ask if they have any problems, solved.

I suppose the way I would handle it is to tell them they are full of sh*t, video games don't lead to real world violence, and then shoot them in the face with a sawed off shotgun. :p Because I learned how to do that in GTA San Andreas.

If multi-media influences behaviour (it doesn't) they should be more concerned with Soap Operas.

Before video games, there was (and still is) a fair amount of activity in rating and vetting the contents of movies so that parents can decide which movies their children can see. It seems quaint, but some segments of society still do it, and seriously there is concern that degenerate or violent behavior in movies really does desensitize impressionable kids (we're all impressionable in our young innocent years). I would say the movies are worse than video games because they seem more real, with real people, acting cool while they are killing. There's a lot more emotional engagement.

Edited by saintsrow

None of my IRL friends play the GTA series in general. They don't find punching a stripper to death appealing which is fair enough, on the other hand I find it hilarious.

Statistically in a study of over 1000 people they found that violent video games cause violent thoughts about a game for 1-4 hours after quiting playing, the violent thoughts had never caused any violent actions in the 3 years the experiment took place with 70% being boys between 8-19 and 30% girls between 8-19.

So in a 3 year experiment with over 1000 people no one was found to be violent, seems odd if video games 'cause violence'. Video games also have many 'good' side affects like increased alertness, teamwork, hand eye coordination and a few others, since I know someone will / has said "video games make you fat and lazy" - Random guy 2016 - Although just like TV and cake if you have too much of it you will get lazy and fat but in moderation you wouldn't have a problem.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Ignore them like i do with all idiots that are stupid while not being funny

Honestly if people think that...few do btw....then they arent gonna tell you.

I mean...i have a beyond average interest in guns living in belgium...

And though belgium has a great manufacturer of small arms( fn fal, fn minimi, fn scar, fn p90,...) people here hate guns since some insane depressed asshole shot and killed a few people. :)

when people relize...they look funny and then just leave me alone...so yea...

i mean its not like i live in a place were they burn people who think diferend...

they still sometimes murder someone for being diferend...but hey...its rare :)

Video game violence causing real violence sounds like it would come from liberals. Just ask them if that means they also believe homosexuality on TV and media also causes young impressionable minds to turn gay.....

The fact that I play GTA:O, or any game for that matter, is my little secret and only my family/bffs know so video games rarely come up in conversations.

Well except for when some of my girlfriends complain about their boyfriends playing videogames...

Edited by IceColdFrostMT

For something that is supposed to be "inevitable" this has happened far too never to me. Is this a regional thing or is it just me having far too few judgmental non-gamer friends?

Since most of the people that got video games a bad name by killing/Reenacting scenes in them were kids i think by now people have figured out its just very sh*t parenting.

Its not hard to make sure your kids know the difference between games and real life, or better yet if its an 18 game don't let them play them, and if they do keep them away from online,

Noone wants to hear your child spout racial slurs and swear in a high pitched squeaky voice for the entire planet to hear.

Simple: if that was true, I would have already slaughtered half of the world's population with a fork.

• Like 2