2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Is there some trick to go fast in the race ?

danielepereto

I think side walls and off-road tyres are a myth.

Only trick I know that actually works is to not make any mistakes and brake before you turn into a corner but those aren't really tricks.

People will talk about double clutching which isn't double clutching (it's actually forcing the vehicle to change down a gear so kick-down) but I honestly don't think it makes a huge difference.

Ultimately, some people are good racers, others are not. We have a guy in the crew who is unbelievably fast in races. He doesn't use any tricks at all. It is rather depressing.

Edited by am30

Only trick I know that actually works is to not make any mistakes and brake before you turn into a corner but those aren't really tricks.

People will talk about double clutching which isn't double clutching (it's actually forcing the vehicle to change down a gear so kick-down) but I honestly don't think it makes a huge difference.

Ultimately, some people are good racers, others are not. We have a guy in the crew who is unbelievably fast in races. He doesn't use any tricks at all. It is rather depressing.

The guy in your crew will be kissing every kerb on corners. Makes a difference even if you arent activly chasing footpaths. Offroads also obviously as they let you chase kerbs.

Edited by elfoam
  • Like 1

I think side walks and off-road tyres are a myth.

I wish it was....lol

Tried it. Made no difference.

Im a race crew.. with some very fast racers. A few bumps and they gain a few seconds on me.

This is something i see every day... for the past 3 years.. If you really want to see it in action, watch someones whos good at it use it. After a few minutes... you will notice it if you don't use it.

And im really not a fan of curb boosting either... i wish R* would fix it to be honest.

Edited by HulioG

The guy in your crew will be kissing every kerb on corners. Makes a difference even if you arent activly chasing footpaths. Offroads also obviously as they let you chase kerbs.

Not at all. I've watched footage. The guy is just very good.

I wish it was....lol

Im a race crew.. with some very fast racers. A few bumps and they gain a few seconds on me.

This is something i see every day... for the past 3 years.. If you really want to see it in action, watch someones whos good at it use it. After a few minutes... you will notice it if you don't use it.

Maybe you're just not very good. Believe me, I have tried every trick and the only thing that works is practice.

Edited by am30

"Double-clutching" does make a difference if you do it properly and on certain cars, it can give a nice boost as far as I know (still mastering it). I don't think there's certain tricks to be faster, it's mostly about driving properly (knowing how to make corners properly etc.) and having a good, fully upgraded vehicle. Just search for the best cars on each class and you'll already on step ahead.

• Like 3

I wish it was....lol

Maybe you're just not very good. Believe me, I have tried every trick and the only thing that works is practice.

Im pretty good... Just no where near the best. And the best racers in GTA will tell you that curb boosting is very real.

I mean, i know some of the fastest racers in GTA. I can hook you up if you really want to see them in action. They run the curbs like a street sweeper.

Infact they know where every little bump is, besides curbs.. Even patches of dirt that cause the bump effect that speeds the car up.

• Like 4

FrugalDangerMan

I wish it was....lol

Exactly. How i know it works is when i use my zenturno to win longest jump freemode events. I use the long run down the western side road at the airport and use the garbage ramp to clear 600ft.

The northern part of that road has some curbs and grass you need to navigate. Using supercar wheels i bounce all over, lose traction or even get air. Put off road wheels on and i all but glide over the same spot.

Its a small difference, but in the right situations, it matters.

• Like 1

I wish it was....lol

Im pretty good... Just no where near the best. And the best racers in GTA will tell you that curb boosting is very real.

I mean, i know some of the fastest racers in GTA. I can hook you up if you really want to see them in action. They run the curbs like a street sweeper.

Infact they know where every little bump is, besides curbs.. Even patches of dirt that cause the bump effect that speeds the car up.

I still call BS. I know some very good racers as well. Not weird tricks used.

Well then feel free to debate the existence of curb boosting here..

http://nodo.freeforums.net/

Or. With my race crew.. here

http://cloud9racing.freeforums.net/

Some people have well over 10k races raced... They know very well how useful curb boosting is and how effective it can be. Thats why some racers even try their hardest to block sidewalk lines in their tracks.

Im not gonna debate it.. I know its real, i also hate it :D

Edited by HulioG

TeammateHelper

I'd rather place last than use off-road tires on my Osiris. I'm slow, not tacky.

Make sure catch up is on in the lobby.

Be losing until the end.

Proceed to pass into first place using the built-in cheat code, catch up.

• Like 2

Blasterman4EVER

In "the" race? Which race?

"Double-clutching" does make a difference if you do it properly and on certain cars, it can give a nice boost as far as I know (still mastering it). I don't think there's certain tricks to be faster, it's mostly about driving properly (knowing how to make corners properly etc.) and having a good, fully upgraded vehicle. Just search for the best cars on each class and you'll already on step ahead.

It's just braking. There is no clutch in this game. I guess I'm just being a dick, but seriously. Tapping the breaks a few times is just slowing the vehicle down and forcing a downshift.

To be good at racing in this game you just have to treat the accelerator and brake triggers as pinball paddles. Left right left right left right left right rapid-fire like when you're dealing with lots of corners.

Arrows to Athens

In "the" race? Which race?

It's just braking. There is no clutch in this game. I guess I'm just being a dick, but seriously. Tapping the breaks a few times is just slowing the vehicle down and forcing a downshift.

To be good at racing in this game you just have to treat the accelerator and brake triggers as pinball paddles. Left right left right left right left right rapid-fire like when you're dealing with lots of corners.

Rev-boosting gives you a significant acceleration boost, and you will see this if you rev-boost a Massacro through every tight corner against another Massacro that doesn't rev-boost. You will notice that you will take off from the tight corners much quicker than the other Masaacro, or any other car that's not rev-boosting, so it does have a benefit in races which have a lot of tight corners that require you to brake hard and lose a lot of speed so the rev-boost can be done.

In response to your 'slows down the vehicle' claim, you only tap the brake button once, and it will only slow you down for like a millisecond before you immediately go back on the gas and get that acceleration boost. Certain cars have a bigger rev-boost than other cars.

Oh, and it's 'brakes', not 'breaks'.

Edited by Fearx--
  • Like 4

I wish it was....lol

Sorry, but it's well known they do dude. It's been in existence since gta4. I can also point you to the best racers going on the ps4 if you want to see.

• Like 2

Arrows to Athens

I wish it was....lol

Sorry, but it's well known they do dude. It's been in existence since gta4. I can also point you to the best racers going on the ps4 if you want to see.

Curbs in this game do indeed make you go faster, which is why many avid racers drive over them in races. I didn't, however, know that this was a thing in IV. Rev-boosting didn't give you a boost at all in that game, though.

curb boosting and off road tires in racing are very real. if you think otherwise the crew i am in has a few public events you can try.

FORUM1_zpsmv8xkxl1.png

time%20trial_zps5lwibhuc.png

we are not a race crew we just like racing, we do however get some of gta's fastest drivers at these events regularly.

Edited by dairyworker
  • Like 3

Find the racing line.

Plan yout attack on each corner.

Accelarate as soon as you can on the out.

Try not to get smashes.

And most importantly, try to reduce as many mistakes as possible. This sounds obvious but I think it's the key to getting better and winning.

Stay calm, don't let it get a grip of you and reduce one mistake at a time and you'll start limbing the rankings of every race.

How to go faster:

Use these following tricks:
-Mid-drive speed boost, which the noobs that have no goddamn idea of how a car works at all refer to as "double-clutching";
-Kerb boosting, already benig discussed here;
-Super boost start, when a race loads after the lobby menu, press and hold the gas unitl the countdown reaches 1 and starts to fade, then release the gas and press it again, it gives you a faster takeoff than the standard start boost;

Equip your rides with the following mods:

-All performance mods, even brakes;
-Spoilers, any kind of spoiler will do, some cars like the Panto can get extra traction by having a Rack on the roof too;
-Off-Road wheels does make your car go faster while kerb boosting, but I don't use them unless it's in a vehicle that fits them;
-Bulletproof tires are a must for GTA Races;
-Same applies for rear window louvres in cars that can have them, like the Dominator and the Pigalle;
-Same also applies armor upgrades, they DO increase the vehicle's weight, but the difference is soo minimal it really won't make a difference;

And now for some basic tips:
-Always look ahead of you on the road, don't keep looking at your own car;
-Slow-in, Fast-out of any tight corner;

-Keep you eyes on the radar to see if there are any other cars right behind you, if there are then set your camera to the farthest view and look behind at every two seconds;
-Use your brakes frequently if you don't want to crash, but depending on the corner you can just release the accelerator and let the car slow down itself;
-If you're oversteering, release the gas and countersteer but don1t countersteer too much or you will launch your car to the other side of the road and crash;

-If there's a opponent right behind your tail, move away from it, if it's keeping behind you it means that they want to spin you, move into the other lane and tap the brakes to let them take over, use this tactic on them and overtake when it's safe or when you're near the finish line.

And for me, the best way to race is:
-Without any traffic;
-Without any cops;
-No contact or with slipstream only, catch-up is bullsh*t;
-Overall racing clean.

I wish it was....lol

i see that you just don't want to believe this.

but if you would be a little more open minded and let yourself convince by actual facts and evidence you could just watch this video, from 6:40, especially at 7:30 (or a couple of other youtube videos about curb bossting):

he also explains in this video that curb/kerb/bump boosting works for all cars in generell but on some cars less than on others.

for example the massacro is one of those cars which don't benefit very much from it (while the jester does).

maybe this was the reason why it didn't work (noticeably) for you when you tried it.

nobody denies that you know very good racers who don't use any tricks like these and are still very fast.

but that doesn't mean that these tricks don't exist.

edit: by the way, you better use offroad wheels for this technique, otherwise you will lose too much traction and risk to spin out. (this is also a good method to see the difference of offroad wheels.)

@ danielepereto

this is also a very good video as answer to your question in your starting post.

Edited by size_m
  • Like 5

I dont really know what level in term of racing you are right now, but i'll go with best general tips that I havent seen so far really.

- Keep as much speed as you can in each corner. What I mean by that is not staying on the gas and not braking, i mean use all the width of the track to your advantage (basically talking about racing lines here but more detailed). For exemple sharp 90 degree right turn, if you stay on the right side of the track before the corner, you will have to break a lot more to enter the corner because you come in with a really bad angle. If on the other hand you go on the left side of the track you can begin your turning before the corner and carry a lot more speed because this time you have a way better angle on the corner.

- Avoid any contact. I know GTA you load into a race you see everyone playing bumper cars, but trust me staying out of any accidents improve your odds of winning a lot. When they are a lot of players all around you dont stay in the middle of the track stay one side. Look behind you a lot and your map, most of the time you can cleary see the intention of the other players with their behaviors. When I see someone in my slipstream that is cleary going to hit me, I just step on the break and let him pass me. You are better off doing that then getting pushed off the track by that dickhead.

- Catchup and slipstream are really bad racing mechanics, you should turn them off at all time. Catchup doesnt reward good driving it only reward sh*tty driver who crash a few time in a race but still have a chance to win at the end. Slipstream causes really bad accidents most of the time. Its not a slipstream its more of a tractor beam to be honest. Should have been 5%-10% of what it is right now. Try it for youself, put slipstream On in a 10 players lobby, first corner there is a huge accident with most people involved, Slipstream off, there are contact here and there and maybe a small accident involving 1-3 players.

Edit: Forgot to mention curb boosting. I don't do it, I feel its kind of a cheap thing to do. You can win most of your online races with random easily without doing it. The only time I'm doing it, its when Im against a hardcore racer who is hitting all these bumps.

Edited by Nomis24

Brake coming in....Accelerate out of the Apex, then use that down shifting thing.

The wall doesn't count as your brakes.

• Like 1

aaronBLUEeyes

Just drive well, get turbo start, and if you can safely curb boost from time to time do that also.

I have never heard about kerb boosting or double clutching, yet my racing wins/losses are roughly 300/100. What Ive always known and used, though, is how to apex the sh*t out of corners. Go in slow, come out fast ;)

I have never heard about kerb boosting or double clutching, yet my racing wins/losses are roughly 300/100. What Ive always known and used, though, is how to apex the sh*t out of corners. Go in slow, come out fast ;)

thats a nice record you got there, ps4? care to join us tonight?

• Like 1