3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Use Director Mode for Random Event?

Djedhiscribe

What's up Everyone,

i've been a member of the forum for a while and before asking a question I always look it up to see if it has already been asked. Anyway I'm going to be upgrading to the PS4 to make use of the Rockstar Editor and Director Mode features to make movies since I am an aspiring screenwriter and want to finally put my story on screen the easiest and cheapest way for now.

What I want to know is are we are able to play a Random Event in Director Mode as our online charactor? I wrote an opening scene and remembered there is a random event that is somewhat similar to that scene and it would be great to be able to use it because it starts off the "adventure" for my character.

What's up Everyone,

i've been a member of the forum for a while and before asking a question I always look it up to see if it has already been asked. Anyway I'm going to be upgrading to the PS4 to make use of the Rockstar Editor and Director Mode features to make movies since I am an aspiring screenwriter and want to finally put my story on screen the easiest and cheapest way for now.

What I want to know is are we are able to play a Random Event in Director Mode as our online charactor? I wrote an opening scene and remembered there is a random event that is somewhat similar to that scene and it would be great to be able to use it because it starts off the "adventure" for my character.

Record the scene playing the normal game, then use director mode to get the rest of your shots. Use the editor to get the angles you require.

Just noticed the second part of your question.

No, as far as I'm aware, there is no way to play single player as your online character. It's possible on PC via mods, however.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heres the reasons why it wont work, and the reasons why making 'the movie you want to make' is almost impossible in Director Mode

- You cannot record during a cutscene
- You cannot activate random events during Director mode

- You cannot use any dialogue you wish to use(they say "yes", "no", "hi", "bye", and then just a whole bunch of curse words and insults.

I make short movies myself using Director Mode, and the movies I end up with are vastly different to what I set out to make in the first place. The major short coming being Dialogue. I know there are alot of people who use subtitled based dialogue, but it really grinds my gears. From the outset, I have always refused to use text based storytelling. Even before I saw Rockstar Editor video that used it. I think it takes away from the greatness that could be. But you're left with the limited abilities that the game gives you. I'm just saying don't expect to make a masterpiece, thats all. Expect that your'e going to have limitations.

If you really want to be a film make/screen writer, buy a real camera and start from the bottom.

Heres a horror I made, attempting to tell a story through actions rather than dialogue.

My advice for anyone wanting to make movies using GTA. Get to know it. Play around with it A LOT, and get to know your limitations. Utilise what functions are available to you, and take advantage of NPC's random actions(sometimes they become the story you tell). Don't write anything before setting out to make it. Come up with ideas, but flesh it out while you're recording it, because it wont always work the way you want it to.

Edited by CKR187

• 2 weeks later...
RIGHTLEFT START

Here is a mad max inspired video its slow and plotting but I worked hard on it I'd love some feedback and a fast and furious inspired romp