1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Can a PSU cause weird grapics?

Davve95

Hi!

I have some months old PC or so.

I once had problem with the picture in Windows and in games (everywhere)

But I got my graphics card replaced, and I got a completly new one.

As there was something wrong with it, when I got it.

When I got the new one, the picture seemd good everywhere, but expect in games.

It looks pixelish or undetialed in everygame I have played.

Plus I'm hearing a weird noise, as I can hear it comes from the PSU.

(Corsair CX750) I have heard alot of peoples having noise problems with it.

But I'm not fully sure if it can cause bad picture ingame.

As the store gonna check it, don't wanna pay it there ain't nothing wrong with it.

My PC parts:

Intel Core i7 4790 3.60GHz

16 GB ram 1600mhz (Now just running with 8GB as I have heard you can't mix memory kits :S...)

And they're excatly the same, just had 2 packs in it..

Grapich card: MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB GDDR5

PSU: Corsair CX750

Motherboard: Gigabyte z97p-d3

Btw I forgot to say, if I open a video or something else much needed grapics thing, the noise will appear.

Edit: Screenshot from games showing the problem: http://imgur.com/a/BRJPr

Noise:

Edited by Davve95

No, the PSU can not cause graphical glitching on its own, however it could potentially damage the graphics card which in turn causes the glitching. I have a hard time believing that's the case here, though. The CX-series is generally regarded to be quite bad but it shouldn't be bad enough to be killing off components like that.

Can you show what the graphical glitching looks like? I can't tell much from the video you posted as I'm on a laptop with really bad audio. Could be bad or could just fans spinning up as you stress the components of your PC.

And what do you mean "As there was something wrong with it, when I got it." ?

And you can mix RAM, it's just not recommended as it can cause stability issues that are really hard to diagnose. The chances of that happening increase the more different both sets of RAM are.

Edited by Andreaz1

No, the PSU can not cause graphical glitching on its own, however it could potentially damage the graphics card which in turn causes the glitching. I have a hard time believing that's the case here, though. The CX-series is generally regarded to be quite bad but it shouldn't be bad enough to be killing off components like that.

Can you show what the graphical glitching looks like? I can't tell much from the video you posted as I'm on a laptop with really bad audio. Could be bad or could just fans spinning up as you stress the components of your PC.

And what do you mean "As there was something wrong with it, when I got it." ?

And you can mix RAM, it's just not recommended as it can cause stability issues that are really hard to diagnose. The chances of that happening increase the more different both sets of RAM are.

Oh, I maybe thought the PSU could cause bad grapichs because of it make too bad power for the graphic card.

If there was something wrong with it.

I already posted some pictures in this link! :) : http://imgur.com/a/BRJPr

" And what do you mean "As there was something wrong with it, when I got it." ? " - Because it was something wrong with the first graphic card I got too, and the store checked at it.

And I got a new one. But I still have problem with the new one.

Oh, gonna install the other RAM'S then.

Thanks for your reply!

Edited by Davve95
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say the noise is probably the fans spinning up on the graphics card as you're utilizing the GPU for video and games. If it's still glitching try updated drivers for the card, failing that I would say perhaps the vendor is using a bad batch of chips in those cards and it really needs a different card instead of being replaced by potentially bad card after bad card. RAM could be the other issue though, run a memory test from boot to ensure there's no bad areas on the RAM itself.

PSU can certainly cause graphical issues, mostly artifacts and instability, ie. freezes and crashes.

In Tom's Hardware, there's a list of quality PSU's, and CX's are considered low grade and not recommended for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

The noise you're hearing is probably is coil whine, but I wouldn't worry about it. It happens and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Edited by X S
  • Like 3

Thanks for your replies! But there's still issues in game.

If you haven't seen the photos, I posted in the first post/main post, please check it.

Look at the bridge, in Just Cause 2.

It does not look detailed, and kinda blurry or what I should call it.

Here's a new picture from Just Cause 3.

Look at the red car in the grill, there's 3 white stripes, caused by the graphic issue.

https://i.imgur.com/x3qQzENh.jpg

Edit: The picture didn't go in so great quality, but you can still see it.

Edited by Davve95
  • 3 weeks later...

This is either bad hardware/software or indeed you've got the graphics settings up too high for your rig to actually process it quickly enough. If you scale back on quality are there so many 'bugs' ?

• 5 weeks later...

This is either bad hardware/software or indeed you've got the graphics settings up too high for your rig to actually process it quickly enough. If you scale back on quality are there so many 'bugs' ?

Hmm, I think so. Didn't help.

Btw, I'm running the 3 era GTA games, and my PC are over the requerments.

Sorry for a bump, but I have forgotten this topic :S. I hope this bump doesn't matter!

What settings are you using in Just Cause? That looks like an anti aliasing issue (a lack of it) or a texture filtering issue.

Is GTA IV modded? That could cause some glitching. Make sure to update your video card drivers. BTW, what card did you have before?

What settings are you using in Just Cause? That looks like an anti aliasing issue (a lack of it) or a texture filtering issue.

Is GTA IV modded? That could cause some glitching. Make sure to update your video card drivers. BTW, what card did you have before?

Thanks for your reply! It would be nice to get the other games to normal sharp too.

My old card was a Radeon R9 290 4G .

Here's my settngs in JC 3. http://imgur.com/a/0c8nz

Edited by Davve95

There is nothing wrong with your computer. You haven't told me whether you modified GTA IV or not. It looks like Just Cause (2, 3) work fine on your PC.

The issue you are noticing is aliasing. In computer graphics, objects are represented\drawn by square pixels which can make diagonal lines or lines that are not perfectly horizontal or vertical appear jagged. This is solved by using various anti-aliasing methods which can make your game have smoother edges and stuff but it's far from perfect. You should find the most satisfying anti-aliasing setting in these games and go for that if the performance hit is not that bad. You can enforce anti-aliasing in your video card's settings but that doesn't always work.

In short your video card is fine as far as I can tell. You just need to tweak your settings more. Here's how SA looks for me: http://i.imgur.com/5mwFrc9.png

The same aliasing artifact is present in my game as well. You kinda have to get used to it or you can buy a bigger resolution monitor like 1440p or 4K to get that extra sharpness that anti-aliasing methods can't deliver. However, with higher resolutions you will be getting much lower frame rates in newer games.

Kristian @ Sorry, I forgot that. GTA IV are just running a cr*ck as I coulden't fix it with the product keys.

(I have bought all my games)

SA and Just Cause are un-modded. SA just runs sa-mp.

It looks worse in GTA IV. And I didn't found a anti alasing setting.

(In game)

http://imgur.com/a/621rv

Edited by Davve95

There is no anti-aliasing option in GTA IV. I think you might be able to enforce some form of that through your video card's settings (I'm not familiar with AMD).

The last picture you took there does look a bit weird. It looks like it could be a texture filtering issue. Here's how it looks on my PC (with these settings):

qjX4RJR.png

What version of the game are you running? I have the 1.0.7 Steam version and the graphics settings look a bit different. Some of the settings for my video card might be affecting the look of the game as well which may account for the smoother looking textures in the distance. It still doesn't quite look like a video card bug (caused by a hardware defect). Those are usually much more pronounced (e.g. missing textures, models etc).

Edit: Well, there is something else that's wrong with your picture. Where are the clouds? I don't recommend using a crack for this game even if you own it. It can cause issues.

Edited by Kristian.

The last one has some weird dither\noise kind of effect on the large buildings. It's not present in the picture I took in my game. It also looks like the sky textures are missing in that one which is weird.

I hate " the lack of anti alaing look " Or what I should call it.

Like this:http://i.imgur.com/ST11HZr.jpg?1

Well, it might be normal as you have stated.

But I seem to have more then everyone else.

Like this guy:

He does not even have it on cars. Like I do.

His seems the way it should look.

Thanks alot for your help too!

Edited by Davve95
  • 2 weeks later...

You have an old version of GTA IV by the looks of it, possibly unpatched given that you cracked the game. This might be the reason for the weird graphics. We are not allowed to talk about cracks and stuff here even though you do in fact own the game.

You could try reinstalling and patching. I am not familiar with the retail version of the game and why you are having problems activating it. I own the Steam version myself. Given that the other games look fine to me (aliasing is not a bug) I think the only problem is with IV.

You have an old version of GTA IV by the looks of it, possibly unpatched given that you cracked the game. This might be the reason for the weird graphics. We are not allowed to talk about cracks and stuff here even though you do in fact own the game.

You could try reinstalling and patching. I am not familiar with the retail version of the game and why you are having problems activating it. I own the Steam version myself. Given that the other games look fine to me (aliasing is not a bug) I think the only problem is with IV.

Yeah, you're right. I'm running an older version. As I want mod support for trainer.

Maybe I could buy it at steam instead.

Are you sure though there's nothing wrong with my pc? Because like everyone else games are looking much better then mine.

Thanks alot for your reply!:)

Edit: Or I could try to re-active my IV.

Edited by Davve95
  • 2 weeks later...

IV has no AA things look raw as f*ck, unfiltered.

Every game with AA disabled or no AA option will have such problems.

Solution? InjectSMAA/FXAA/DSR (4K) or Enable AA Settings in w/e game you play.

Edited by BlackScout
  • 2 months later...

I've never heard of a PSU causing a graphics issue other than simply no graphics at all cause it can't power up the card. I'd say your install is screwed (Old topic but there's never been confirmation that it was solved!)

These screenshots seem fine for me

goddamn i thought i was getting crazy...

they are old games, ofc they will always have jagged edges, even if you play them at 4k

NO your Psu will not cause graphical issues, if your GPU dont get enough juice it will just not work

if you are seeing some random weird artifacts, probably you cranked the GPU clock too high

Also...

16 GB ram 1600mhz (Now just running with 8GB as I have heard you can't mix memory kits :S...)

And they're excatly the same, just had 2 packs in it..

WHAT???

ofc you can use the 2 packs, even if they are from different brands..

even if two sticks are of faster memory, say 1866MHz the worst it will do is they will only run at 1600MHz (not recommended, but they still work)

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83