2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

An idea to make jets balanced without ruining them

Hunter

Would you be ok with this?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ok with the jets cannon being replaced by the Valkyrie's?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'd tolerate it.

When people talk about nerfing jets, they are often keen to turn to drastic measures. Remove jets completely, making the homing launcher literally impossible to dodge, replacing the cannons with weak/non - explosive guns, etc. While these would do the job, they're naturally going to get criticized by others (who might agree deep down that jets area little too powerful) - a lot of people are just concerned that there'll be another tank situation. They don't want the vehicle they purchased to become a complete joke, so will put up resistance to it. Here's an idea I think could sort jets out, that is acceptable to those who use it and doesn't ruin the vehicle.

I think simply replacing the cannons on the Lazer/Hydra with that of the Valkyrie's would make jets much more balanced. The Valkyrie's cannon has two main differences from the Lazer's/Hydra's:

It has a much slower rate of fire. It fires more than quickly enough for a helicopter, but on a jet, it would require the pilot to aim quite well and make their shots count. Right now, a jet's cannons fire so quickly that it can just spray an entire area without even bothering to aim properly. This is what I think is the main problem with jets.

It is slightly weaker. It will still kill a player in one hit, and is still explosive, but is less damaging to vehicles. A lot of cars can survive a shot or two (as opposed to being instantly incinerated as they are now). This would give players on the ground more of a chance to run, and also give vehicles like the tank some vague chance of at least hiding somewhere safe.

I personally think this would make jets a lot more balanced. At the same time, it wouldn't ruin them and they'd still be dangerous in the right hands - you'd just have to aim a better with them, as opposed to spraying everywhere.

• Like 2

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Again...

Flares on everything unarmed thats aircraft and a damage nerf on the homing launcher so it needs 2 to 3 rockets to blow up anything, but a buff on the rockets range, speed and agilety so they coudnt be avoided by anything, even a lazer

I seriously don't see what the problem is? You can't destroy a jet, try something else? if you still can't do it go into passive or change session?

Again...

Flares on everything unarmed thats aircraft and a damage nerf on the homing launcher so it needs 2 to 3 rockets to blow up anything, but a buff on the rockets range, speed and agilety so they coudnt be avoided by anything, even a lazer

You can see why people who like jets don't like the sound of that though - no matter how overpowered jets are, making something completely impossible to dodge doesn't seem particularly fair, especially if it doesn't even need to be aimed.

Just seems to me like the problem is that spray and pray cannon anyway - not their ability to dodge stuff, or armour, etc.

Passive mode works. No need to change anything....you can't fix stupid and stubborn.

And you can see why people on the ground don't like that. That's not what passive mode is for. You can defend anything with that excuse.

I seriously don't see what the problem is? You can't destroy a jet, try something else? if you still can't do it go into passive or change session?

I'm not talking about whether or not I can destroy jets or not - I can (even made a guide to them). But even I wouldn't deny that the cannon they have now is pretty ridiculous, and I can see why ground players aren't happy with jets.

You can destroy a jet pilot who doesn't know what he/she's doing yeah, but against a good pilot, your options are pretty much just passive or leave. Which says a lot about how balanced these things are in my opinion. But that's just me.

Edited by Icantthinkofonew
  • Like 3

That's the problem right there that has been discussed to death here already.

The problem is that we shouldn't have to change sessions simply because somebody is griefing the entire lobby, on Last Gen it forces a meta that either obliges every player to keep hiding from the jet, or use passive mode and get out of their vehicle to not get blown up or even makes other player go get their jet, turning the whole thing into f*cking COD or BF4.

Also, hoping to another session can actually time out your connection and kick you back to SP, don't forget that this game has very sh*tty servers.

• Like 3

Urustay Gordov Matt D.

Again...

You can see why people who like jets don't like the sound of that though - no matter how overpowered jets are, making something completely impossible to dodge doesn't seem particularly fair, especially if it doesn't even need to be aimed.

Just seems to me like the problem is that spray and pray cannon anyway - not their ability to dodge stuff, or armour, etc.

Passive mode works. No need to change anything....you can't fix stupid and stubborn.

And you can see why people on the ground don't like that. That' not what passive mode is for. You can defend anything with that excuse.

I'm not talking about whether or not I can destroy jets or not - I can (even made a guide to them). But even I wouldn't deny that the cannon they have now is pretty ridiculous, and I can see why ground players aren't happy with jets.

You can destroy a jet pilot who doesn't know what he/she's doing yeah, but against a good pilot, your options are pretty much just passive or leave. Which says a lot about how balanced these things are in my opinion. But that's just me.

YESS finally. The homing launcher doesnt need to be impossible to dodge since it doesnt even need to be aimed, with jets atleast you have to AIM and press different buttons.

Again...

And you can see why people on the ground don't like that. That's not what passive mode is for. You can defend anything with that excuse.

Ground players have the option to buy the jet and get good at it. I would understand if the jet was a limited time item but it wasn't. It's available to all and it's up to you to get good or not.

Ground players have the option to buy the jet and get good at it. I would understand if the jet was a limited time item but it wasn't. It's available to all and it's up to you to get good or not.

In my opinion, GTA is about freedom. Forcing everyone to fly jets (even if they're not at all interested in flying) seems to go against the very foundations of the game. And that's what you have to do currently, unless you're playing against a really bad player.

I don't understand all the "get good"/insults here - I'm pretty well known as someone who can fly stuff on these forums. Ask around and check out my guides if you don't believe me. I just recognise that the current cannon is a little cheesy, and would rather have the right changes made than some of the more drastic things others want.

I've never had the issue with jets because if you are on last gen they can't kill you in passive mode on foot and on current gen they can't hurt you at all in passive mode. It's really that simple and I can't help that people are too dumb and pig headed to use what works.

The jet griefer doesn't mind.

Edited by TreFacTor

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Again...

People who fly jets all the time mostly dont like anything balanced anyhow so...yea... :)

Again...

People who fly jets all the time mostly dont like anything balanced anyhow so...yea... :)

Edited by GTAKid667
  • Like 1

In my opinion, GTA is about freedom. Forcing everyone to fly jets (even if they're not at all interested in flying) seems to go against the very foundations of the game. And that's what you have to do currently, unless you're playing against a really bad player.

I don't understand all the "get good"/insults here - I'm pretty well known as someone who can fly stuff on these forums. Ask around and check out my guides if you don't believe me. I just recognise that the current cannon is a little cheesy, and would rather have the right changes made than some of the more drastic things others want.

I understand what you're saying, we shouldn't have to buy things we don't want to just to survive. But sadly, this is how online games are, you either come with the best and be good at the best or die trying. I'm not saying you are bad at jets, or even insulting you I'n saying players have the option to buy a jet and get good at it.

Edited by Final Quake

Everytime you kill someone with a jet, $50,000 is transferred from your account into the person's you just killed.

• Like 3

Two wrongs don't make a right, but you seem to be right. I thought more people would be open to the idea - I mean, you'd have to be mentally challenged to be unable to still get kills with the Valkyrie's cannon instead, yet people stick by the old passive mode/get good, etc.

I understand what you're saying, we shouldn't have to buy things we don't want to just to survive. But sadly, this is how online games are, you either come with the best and be good at the best or die trying. I'm not saying you are bad at jets, or even insulting you I'n saying players have the option to buy a jet and get good at it.

That line of thinking can defend anything though.

Take this as an example. A weapon gets added that 90% of people agree is overpowered - this weapon doesn't need aiming or anything; you just press a button and everyone in the session dies. This hypothetical weapon is blatantly overpowered, but you can still defend it by saying "get one yourself, press the button first".

• Like 1

Two wrongs don't make a right, but you seem to be right. I thought more people would be open to the idea - I mean, you'd have to be mentally challenged to be unable to still get kills with the Valkyrie's cannon instead, yet people stick by the old passive mode/get good, etc.

Take this as an example. A weapon gets added that 90% of people agree is overpowered - this weapon doesn't need aiming or anything; you just press a button and everyone in the session dies. This hypothetical weapon is blatantly overpowered, but you can still defend it by saying "get one yourself, press the button first".

Terrible analogy. Most ground battles are won by who gets the first shot regardles of weapon used.

Are jets annoying...yes. Unless I have to steal one for a daily I'm never in one but I know how NOT to be killed by them while everyone else in the session is firing blindly into the sky.

Edited by TreFacTor

That line of thinking can also defend anything.

I agree if the jet had a weapon of that caliber it would be overpowered but it doesn't, It has a cannon that anyone can use and get good with.

I agree if the jet had a weapon of that caliber it would be overpowered but it doesn't, It has a cannon that anyone can use and get good with.

That's besides the point. Anyone can "get good" with it yeah, but that doesn't mean it's not too powerful.

Anyone can "get good" with the hypothetical one - shot gun: that wouldn't stop it from being overpowered.

Terrible analogy. Most ground battles are won by who gets the first shot regardles of weapon used.

Are jets annoying...yes. Unless I have to steal one for a daily I'm never in one but I know how NOT to be killed by them while everyone else in the session is firing blindly into the sky.

So you would defend this hypothetical weapon?

Anyway, at the end of the day I spend a lot of my time in one of these:

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr

So negative comments are lost on me. I'm just putting up a solution that I think would be more than acceptable for any competent jet pilot, while stopping them from being the "passive or leave" game - breaker they are now.

That's besides the point. Anyone can "get good" with it yeah, but that doesn't mean it's not too powerful.

Anyone can "get good" with the hypothetical one - shot gun: that wouldn't stop it from being overpowered.

So negative comments are lost on me. I'm just putting up a solution that I think would be more than acceptable for any competent jet pilot, while stopping them from being the "passive or leave" game - breaker they are now.

you still wouldn't be helping those who want to fight tanks with good wishes and snow balls. That is after all the demographic this and all nerf ideas cater to. Edited by TreFacTor

Put EMPs in the game with limited range... say 500 feet.

Jet gets too close, hit the EMP, and it kills all electronics for 10 seconds. Pilots can't shoot, steer, or eject for 10 seconds.

Can the jet be counted? Yes it can. Therefore it isn't overpowered. If a player can't spend the time on learning how to counter an effective weapon, they should basically just get over it and not yell out 'overpowered!' all over the place. The jet isn't unstoppable, their are many means in destroying it.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Besides the fact people are idiots, even the rational know jets are power once mastered half-assed...and since this subforum is filled with kd obsessived ones...

Dont blame purely them though...gonna get a lot of fanboy hate over me now....but none of the gta multiplayer experiences ever had balance in them...let alone a purpose besides grieving

• Like 2

you still wouldn't be helping those who want to fight tanks with good wishes and snow balls. That is after all the demographic this and all nerf ideas cater to.

And there's nothing in between? You can't acknowledge that something is a little too powerful, or you want to fight tanks with a snow ball?

Just to get things straight you don't think anything can ever have any form of nerf? Even the hypothetical weapon I mentioned?

• Like 1

Urustay Gordov Matt D.

Jet gets too close, hit the EMP, and it kills all electronics for 10 seconds. Pilots can't shoot, steer, or eject for 10 seconds.

With a cooldown of 10 minutes

With a cooldown of 10 minutes

Sure.

Can the jet be counted? Yes it can. Therefore it isn't overpowered. If a player can't spend the time on learning how to counter an effective weapon, they should basically just get over it and not yell out 'overpowered!' all over the place. The jet isn't unstoppable, their are many means in destroying it.

It can be countered by - you guessed it - another jet.

The only other counters will only work if the enemy jet pilot is terrible at flying.

Maybe Rockstar should just put in nuclear bombs - the counter will be that you can set one off first before another player does. That seems to be the logic of some jet pilots.

• Like 2

I rarely have problems with jets when one is in the session I just ignore it and it ignores me and If the jet attacks me I could either A) fight back or B) run / go passive.

Not to mention the fact a jet moves way too fast that a slow firing cannon would never get enough shots in to be accurate, People still complain about jets everyday I see a new topic about jets yet no one complains about insurgents anymore and rarely karumas yet I find both of those to be more annoying in a PVP fight.

I don't deal in hypothetical. I'm a logic based person besides you didn't read my response to that so it's a wash for me.

I enter a session. I look at the map if there is a jet in the sky and I don't want to die I go passive. Same on last gen except I'd be on foot. 2 simple solutions no need to change anything but you want to fight a jet....the best way is with another jet your suggestion still doesn't change this.

Edited by TreFacTor

Or some sort of Cluster RPG for ground defence.

I don't think the jets need nerfed, we just need a more effective way of dealing with them on foot.

It can be countered by - you guessed it - another jet.

The only other counters will only work if the enemy jet pilot is terrible at flying.

Maybe Rockstar should just put in nuclear bombs - the counter will be that you can set one off first before another player does. That seems to be the logic of some jet pilots.

or a tank, homing missile and even a C4 if you're good enough lol! all the player needs is a willingness to learn. Does that make a weapon overpowered? Not in my opinion. Therefore, I say leave the jet how it is.