Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,809 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sonny F

Things GTA V did better than GTA IV

DetectivePhelps

IV was cool, Episodes of LC were more fun.

But on to the next number. Vs gameplay in SP is just more of a thriller ( for me ). The possibility is endless such as cars, Chop-Shop to modify them, Clothes are classy, period.

Again, this is a different game & thank goodness. Not every gta will be the same, to compare them 2 would be unfair.

I wont bother with details since every player has its taste and thats the point, to each is own.

Hot Pursuit

Other thing V did better, is that you can climb-and-run, IV need you to stand for a few second before continuing

Hot Pursuit

Why did my comment disappear? :blink:

Because this is Things V did better than IV, not Things EFLC did better than IV

Anyway, I liked the protagonist turn faster, in IV they turn slowly

NeonDolphin

Proper reloading animation, not just an illusion with a hand gesture.

Edited by NeonDolphin

Hot Pursuit

I like that there's no loading screen between cutsene and gameplay,

rampage08

Proper reloading animation, not just an illusion with a hand gesture.

Also you can see the empty mags on the ground. I love that detail.

I like that there's no loading screen between cutsene and gameplay,

I like that too, it fits the game style. But i think the character swapping in custscenes are better. Edited by rampage08

Hot Pursuit

GTA V story is not a revenge story clichè where the antagonist betray you, kill you close friend , and the protagonist still felt empty after killing the antagonist, it's a boring clichè, I'm liked that V has better story don't betray you, but already developed a love-hate relation from the beginning, even Frank Tenpenny doesn't need to be a traitor to be a compelling antagonist

Beside revenge is sweet

Edited by CGFforLife

Marcus101RR

GTA V Runs beautifully even on the not so best machines, so a beast computer gaming rig can run this game flawlessly. GTA IV, can't do it, it doesn't matter. GTA 4 was simply a bad port. This is why V is superior, they actually put effort to it, but only because "Online".

Even today I run GTA4 and 5 on max settings, and still 4 drops down to 30-40 fps in certain parts of the city, with very limited activity.

Edited by Marcus101RR

Hot Pursuit

There's no carjacking camera in V

Sleepwalking

I just downloaded EFLC, I want to play TLAD & TBOGT again. but damn, it is impossible to drive in IV era games.

First mission, i wrecked Tony's car twice. Cars are slipping all the time for no apperant reason, the roads feel they don't have friction. This annoying driving physics sucked all the fun from the game. People says driving in GTA V is too arcade, damn; it is at least fun. You don't slip for no reason and cars don't take ages to accelerate.

I need to look some driving mods for EFLC to make it tolerable. I really can't believe people praising driving in IV era games. I hope they keep V's driving system in coming GTA's.

B Dawg

I just downloaded EFLC, I want to play TLAD & TBOGT again. but damn, it is impossible to drive in IV era games.

First mission, i wrecked Tony's car twice. Cars are slipping all the time for no apperant reason, the roads feel they don't have friction. This annoying driving physics sucked all the fun from the game. People says driving in GTA V is too arcade, damn; it is at least fun. You don't slip for no reason and cars don't take ages to accelerate.

I need to look some driving mods for EFLC to make it tolerable. I really can't believe people praising driving in IV era games. I hope they keep V's driving system in coming GTA's.

There's something terribly wrong with the way you drive then. Have you ever played any not-so arcade/middleground racing games in your life? There's not that many cars that actually lose traction and start to slide from simultaneous braking and turning, and the solution to that is problem is to only do one of those at a time for the cars that are affected by it.

Edited by B Dawg

Tengerecki

Everything, except driving physics.

Hot Pursuit

I really like V animation is really smooth and feels more human compared to IV

Not just that, but watching the highly detailed animation combined with smooth 60 fps is a real eyecandy experience

Hot Pursuit

Ability to throw grenade 360° during drive-by, unlike IV which only allow throwing grenade to side

Sleepwalking

Ability to throw grenade 360° during drive-by, unlike IV which only allow throwing grenade to side

I also remember when you want to answer your phone in a car half of the time Niko also drops a f*cking grenade, blow himself up. (@PC version)

A.C.M.

I also remember when you want to answer your phone in a car half of the time Niko also drops a f*cking grenade, blow himself up. (@PC version)

go check out key binding configuration, both actions are possible to put on different button

Hot Pursuit

Even if V euphoria wasn't really good, atleast it wasn't as buggy as IV

Domac

But GTA V has got flying cars, bikes, UFOs, futuristic weapons, Batmobile, underground bunkers and diving!!!

*btw I'm being sarcastic*

ChiroVette

There's something terribly wrong with the way you drive then. Have you ever played any not-so arcade/middleground racing games in your life? There's not that many cars that actually lose traction and start to slide from simultaneous braking and turning, and the solution to that is problem is to only do one of those at a time for the cars that are affected by it.

As much as I have a visceral hatred for IV's driving physics, I still have to agree with this. NOT because I agree with a lot of IV fans who seem to think that the only people who hate IV's driving must therefore suck at driving, BUT because even though I cant stand the driving in IV, I was still nonetheless able to adapt to it quickly enough to get through the game. Once I realized that driving with the same fun and manic style I enjoyed with SA, III, and VC wouldn't work in IV, I simply adapted my driving to fit what the game demanded of me to keep the wheels on the pavement and keep me going in a straight line. In short, the key to driving success in IV is to slow down, particularly before turns, and not try to drive at breakneck speeds. This is, by the way, why I hated the driving in IV. Because having to be that careful, methodical, and fastidious is what I expect to do when I get in my real car, not what I want from a videogame.

🖕

Real plates, not that "LIBERTY CITY" bullsh*t

Sleepwalking

Traffic AI

1)NPC drivers love suddenly changing their lanes in front of me, so I crash them.

2)If I drive slow and carefully to not damage my vehicle, they usually ram behind me. (Especially if i stop at a red light)

3) Cop cars, ambulances, taxis and fire trucks easily stuck some random places and cannot unstuck themself. In GTA V they can easily recover themself in sh*tty situations.

4) Even I am not doing something that interrupts traffic, NPCs do too much random traffic accidents. In GTA V even with increased traffic density mods you don't across too many immersion breaking random car accidents.

5) NPCs are using choppers very slow, in GTA V they can keep up with you while you are getting chased by them. (cop choppers etc)

D9fred95

Traffic AI

1)NPC drivers love suddenly changing their lanes in front of me, so I crash them.

2)If I drive slow and carefully to not damage my vehicle, they usually ram behind me. (Especially if i stop at a red light)

3) Cop cars, ambulances, taxis and fire trucks easily stuck some random places and cannot unstuck themself. In GTA V they can easily recover themself in sh*tty situations.

4) Even I am not doing something that interrupts traffic, NPCs do too much random traffic accidents. In GTA V even with increased traffic density mods you don't across too many immersion breaking random car accidents.

5) NPCs are using choppers very slow, in GTA V they can keep up with you while you are getting chased by them. (cop choppers etc)

I'm sorry, no. I know this is the "what GTA V did better" thread but I have experienced way, way, WAY too much bullsh*t from the traffic AI to not disagree. Not in defense of IV mind you, I haven't played it in a while to say anything about it's traffic for certain. But I've experienced more than my fair share of AI awfulness from V to know that "immersion breaking car accidents" happen ALL the time regardless how you drive.

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry, no. I know this is the "what GTA V did better" thread but I have experienced way, way, WAY too much bullsh*t from the traffic AI to not disagree. Not in defense of IV mind you, I haven't played it in a while to say anything about it's traffic for certain. But I've experienced more than my fair share of AI awfulness from V to know that "immersion breaking car accidents" happen ALL the time regardless how you drive.

To be fair, ALL GTA games have wacky, stupid ass sh*t happening with traffic, though. I remember rolling my eyes in IV watching some of the stupid AL Driver crap unfold in front of me, and lest you think I am bashing IV, I could say the exact same thing about SA, VC, and III. And, yes, V, as well. Not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with the coding of such complex AI "group behavior" in a sandbox or something. But while I don't think V is any better or worse at this than IV, it is odd. I will say that mostly I enjoy it when AL driving goes off the rails in these games, because it is kind of a quirky little bit of entertainment. It is annoying when it interrupts a mission attempt or a getaway from the cops, but I have come to simply accept this in GTA games.

Edited by ChiroVette

D9fred95

It's probably most obvious due to how thick the traffic is in V. While I'm not going to say the 3D era traffic was great, the lulls in traffic allowed for more versatile travel. Even someplace like the Gant Bridge was alright to travel along. V on the other hand is saturated to the brim with traffic which makes travel without colliding with someone a major hassle. Driving in Chamberlain Hills during rush hour is awful due to the tight roads and yellow markings that the traffic drive around which ends up causing one too many accidents.

Doesn't help when the AI makes questionable choices, like a taxi stopping dead in an intersection with no obstacles or a bus driving down the wrong side of the street without a single attempt to correct itself.

🖕

A choice on what your car color is gonna be after you fix it

jpm1

save electricity...? :D

ChiroVette
Posted (edited)

It's probably most obvious due to how thick the traffic is in V. While I'm not going to say the 3D era traffic was great, the lulls in traffic allowed for more versatile travel.

I have to disagree, and I will use IV/Episodes as a citation: For reasons passing understanding, while in a drunken stupor over the holidays, I bought the Episodes during a Steam sale for I think it was like $5.00. lol You can't even buy a shake from Carvel for that. I also snagged Mafia 3 on sale like a week ago. Anyway, I forgot about them and booted up TLaD yesterday to try them out probably because there is NO SIGN of GTA 6 on the horizon. On this topic, dude, while hunting down Seagulls I came upon a traffic jam and a bunch of AI cars just literally piled up aiming and driving at one another. No attempt to avoid a collision. They just all dog-piled right into an intersection in North Jersey. This was near the very beginning of my save. By the way? It has happened like 3 or 4 times already, and it is a lot worse in LC than it is in Los Santos. You said thick traffic? Dude nothing, and I mean NOTHING in GTA history is thicker than the traffic in LC. A problem made proportionally WORSE by the narrow, often circuitous roads.

Anyway, my 2 cents, but I don't know how any IV fan can complain about the bizarreness on the roads in V. It is way more ludicrous in LC. And by the way? I am not complaining. My original point stands that this weird crap happens in all the GTA games. So I am NOT knocking IV or the Episodes for it. Only mentioning that it seems a lot worse in LC because Rockstar was trying to emulate NYC traffic jams, AKA rush hour, and they made the thoroughfares a lot narrower, also exacerbating it.

Edited by ChiroVette

D9fred95

On this topic, dude, while hunting down Seagulls I came upon a traffic jam and a bunch of AI cars just literally piled up aiming and driving at one another. No attempt to avoid a collision. They just all dog-piled right into an intersection in North Jersey. This was near the very beginning of my save. By the way? It has happened like 3 or 4 times already, and it is a lot worse in LC than it is in Los Santos. You said thick traffic? Dude nothing, and I mean NOTHING in GTA history is thicker than the traffic in LC. A problem made proportionally WORSE by the narrow, often circuitous roads.

Well like I said, I haven't played GTA IV in a while so I can't say much about it's AI. But the point I was making is that since the 3D Era traffic is more sparse, presumably due to engine limitations, it makes many screw ups the AI does more forgivable. For example, SA's freeway system isn't great. It's AI is "on-rails" and they change lanes constantly. But it's sparse which allows the player to make quick adjustments if necessary. GTA V on the other hand has the AI making all these sporadic lane changes within heavy, dense traffic making the commute a pain. Or how in the 3D Era a red light may have three or four cars waiting whereas GTA V may have eight to nine cars waiting. More isn't always better essentially, I don't want a GTA game to start mimicking real life when it comes to traffic congestion.

Hot Pursuit

V driver AI always brake their car properly, unlike IV where they will brake their car slighly late in which you or your vehicle usually get bumped

D9fred95

V driver AI always brake their car properly, unlike IV where they will brake their car slighly late in which you or your vehicle usually get bumped

This is also something I have to disagree with. I did a "road rules" playthrough a little time ago and I can't remember how many times I was rear ended at intersections. Some issue with the AI detecting where the player is located which causes them to smash into you. Also they immediately get impatient once the light turns green, even if it's been 0.5 seconds since the light change.

I really got to finish this video I'm making about the traffic AI. I've been recording instances of all this stuff happening but Xbox's Upload Studio is a pain in the ass to use.