3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

boyay22

GTA V was EXTREMELY unfinished.

boyay22

Don't get me wrong here, the storyline was great, but in terms of physics and mapping, it failed to really meet atleast a 7/10 for me. That's just my opinion, you might have a different one but I respect that. Did you guys see how amazing the first trailer was? They covered what was expected in a trailer. Then the game came out for PS3 and XBOX 360 and it looked like TRASH. I might be exaggerating a little, but I mean, seriously. Does Rockstar think were stupid?

Sure, memory has a limit. But there was so much that they could've fit in the penitentiary and Fort Zancudo.

Okay, fine, like I said before, memory has a limit, but what stopped them to adding more accessibility in PS4, XBOX One and PC versions of the game? They just updated the graphics and slapped a few new cars in the game. Wow!

I'm curious to see who agrees with me and who despises me because of this.

Discuss.

Lethal-lock

I would have given V a 9 or a 10 when i first played it so as annoyed as i am with Rockstar's silence on single player DLC im not going to let my frustration keep lowering V's score, it's still a 9 or a 10 in my opinion.

That's all we're talking here anyway, just opinions.

Dangerous and sad

The first line of your paragraph. You have no idea what war you've started :D

Edited by temi4328

ChiroVette

I would have given V a 9 or a 10 when i first played it so as annoyed as i am with Rockstar's silence on single player DLC im not going to let my frustration keep lowering V's score, it's still a 9 or a 10 in my opinion.

That's all we're talking here anyway, just opinions.

Agreed about opinions. I tend to grade the game at a 9.5. There are some issues, enough for me to knock off a half a point overall. Like you, I wouldn't downgrade a complete game based on the lack of future content. That sounds more like adolescent tantrum than a responsible review.

marco6158

I personally like it to be honest. They left the old feeling thing of three/four islands that had to be unlocked and made one whole big thing with various and different areas. Talking "realistically" (not sure if it's the right term in this case) it's better like it's now than how it was before, having some islands blocked for some unknown (or without logic) reasons wasn't the best thing to me, having all the map free to explore immediately was a pretty nice thing to me.

Edited by scania970

Big_Smiley

Not to mention they added a sh*t load of Mountains that took almost half of the other side of the map.

Spadge

IV seemed more finished looking at NPC reactions and physics.

With 5 they had new technology, they could have done a few things better, especially on next gen there was a lot of potential.

About last gen consoles, well it was a wonder the game was so amazingly optimized, and worked on these dinosaurs but still it was obvious it was some kind of beta. The real deal was Pc and next gen afterwards, but they left out some opportunities, they had the chance to give the game a last touch while upgrading, but they didn't give a 100% still a great game.

9/10 for me. Still so enjoyable, masterpiece !

Edited by Spadge

marco6158

@GTA_The_Series

Well, I actually have to agree with you on this. Some mountains (right part of the map) could have been left out and the Senora Desert could have been bigger, I would have loved to have a bigger desert with some dunes to be honest. But the northern mountainous area is fine to me and it fits.

Edited by scania970

ChiroVette

I personally like it to be honest. They left the old feeling thing of three/four islands that had to be unlocked and made one whole big thing with various and different areas. Talking "realistically" (not sure if it's the right term in this case) it's better like it's now than how it was before, having some islands blocked for some unknown (or without logic) reasons wasn't the best thing to me, having all the map free to explore immediately was a pretty nice thing to me.

I agree with you and love the map and the scenery. I think it is very well balanced and represents a fine virtual recreation of Los Angeles and the surrounding areas, like Hollywood, East LA, Orange County, and the various deserts east and north of LA. I think this is one of the best maps I have ever seen in a game to date.

Edited by ChiroVette

57xamrA

Pretty much the entire game is unfinished. Hell, it looks like a pre-alpha version.

Otselot

Well duh.

CarlitoDorito

Finally someone complains about the game and says something different. Compaints started to feel copy and pasted recently with extra lashings of dickishness, but you sir have reinvigorated things.

A poll would help decide this. I think if some agree with you then this becomes undeniable fact, them rockstar bastards.

Gnocchi Flip Flops

Compaints started to feel copy and pasted recently with extra lashings of dickishness, but you sir have reinvigorated things.

Everything in this section has started to feel copy and pasted including all of your spammy posts. I wouldn't be talking.

dooshtoomun

I expected one more major city, a bigger forest and mountain ranges as shown in the first trailer. The reason the country side was loved so much in GTA SA was because it lead to another city. I don't accept some small town to be a good reason to cross an entire country side. I think we can all agree that the forest area was disappointing. Even in the PS3 version you could see the nearest road. And then there's the mountain ranges. That scene in the trailer with the hikers standing in front of Mt Chiliad hyped me so much. I started picturing insane ranges of rock and forest, and instead we got two big almost isolated triangles. I even think R* had to cut out parts of the map since the hill the hikers were standing on is no longer there. I guess you could count the mountains around Los Santos as 'ranges' but to me they were more like hills.

Maybe a whole new city and bigger mountains are too much for just R* North, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Never the less I loved the city and country side areas, especially the two rivers on either side of Mt Zancudo.

Frito-Man

Unfinished?

Last gen = Yes

Current Gen = No

oCrapaCreeper

I love how this thread is being used as another v-hate refuge and nobody is actually discussing the OP.

Error2k

Pretty much the entire game is unfinished. Hell, it looks like a pre-alpha version.

Do you even know how most games look in pre alpha?

zJPwV1ItntlQ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

ChiroVette

Do you even know how most games look in pre alpha?

zJPwV1ItntlQ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

New rule:

Please abstain from using logic and reason while refuting the absurdly fallacious statements by the people who will say ANYTHING, regardless of how ludicrous it is, just so long as they can attack the game. You should be banned for trying to be reasonable and offer an opinion not laced with pejoratives, wild personal attacks, and accusations toward anyone who likes the game.

How dare you!

zuckmeslow

and mapping

dis3.gif

To be fair, the map layout is crap. The level of detail is great, of course, but the layout sucks. They really could not have laid it out worse. Even the map shape is stupid. Like wtf? Were they on acid?

@GTA_The_Series

Well, I actually have to agree with you on this. Some mountains (right part of the map) could have been left out and the Senora Desert could have been bigger, I would have loved to have a bigger desert with some dunes to be honest. But the northern mountainous area is fine to me and it fits.

I agree with you and love the map and the scenery. I think it is very well balanced and represents a fine virtual recreation of Los Angeles and the surrounding areas, like Hollywood, East LA, Orange County, and the various deserts east and north of LA. I think this is one of the best maps I have ever seen in a game to date.

the map sucks, it feels too empty and too cluttered at the same time. the city is clumped up in one corner and surrounded by mountains and empty fields. thats it. what is there to do in paleto bay? everything in paleto can be found in los santos. there is no reason to cross a boring highway to get to a boring ass town that has nothing interesting. and sandy shores is only exciting the first few times until you realize there is nothing unique about it. remember that bs about being treated differently depending where you went, they treated all three protags the same for me.

los santos itself has certain nice parts but overall the downtown looks the same and is not exiting to look at or to even hang out in. the airport is a big nothing that is basically half the size of los santos. it all fells very generic and not like a gta game at all, if you told me that this was a beta map for the next sleeping dogs or just cause game i would believe it, but Grand theft auto? no way mofo sack. no interiors, no unique cities, boring desert and plains, mountains that take up disk space but dont add fun.

the map in general is not good to look at while traveling from one corner to the other, its very cluttered. why so many mountains

there are no straight roads, no large forests, no variety. its a cluttered mess of mountains, open areas, copy and paste streets and underwater that no one cared about.

what we expected

rdr+desert.jpg

what we got

Screen+Shot+20.png

you just dont feel a disconnection to the city, in this map you can go to the top of the map and still feel connected to the city because you know all you need to do is hold the trigger down on the highway and it will eventually lead you to los santos. there is no feeling of getting lost or feeling like you are in the middle of nowhere.

no matter where you are you can always see chilliad and the other mountains. or if you are in the "desert" you can see sandy shores, grapeseed, and harmony and you know where you are. there is no isolation in the game, there is no feeling lonly in the middle of the desert feeling.

this is why north yankton feels so big, because it manages to give the effect of ope n space, but in a small area. if the desert would have been in a better location and maybe gordo wasnt in the game, we might have had an actual flat land desert that could have given us the appearence of it going on for a long time. we could have even got a mirage effect.

anybody play the game fuel? its a terrible racing game but it has the largest map on any console game. the map is so big it is roughly the size of the state of connecticut.

just please watch this video to understand this technology and how the map is that large on consoles.

a map that big for a gta game would be boring but now imagine if rockstar made a game smaller than half the size of fuel and added all of their details, that would be a better map. if you look at the game fuel, it has a great countryside, long roads passing small towns, huge forests, a desert, and a general open feeling.

in gta v if you are on a highway and you drive left, there is either a mountain range or the ocean, if you drive right then there is... a mountain range or an ocean. the map has too many mountains that landlock you in, there isnt a single area that you can get lossed in, you are either near a steep mountain that your character can only climb up so high or you are near a highway. no breathing room. it would be nice to have a straight desert road that leads to many small towns instead of a major highway that goes all the way around the map and cuts through the only forest in the game.

its this that i am talking about

2zp32tf.jpg

this feeling of disconection from the city

2zthpg0.jpg

the town of bright falls in Alan wake is what paleto bay should have been, this extreme rural feeling

34s48yp.jpg

1ot07t.jpg

alan wake is a game that shows what a good countryside should be.

so yes the map in gta v is very poorly made for anyone that needs examples.

chilleverest

Red dead redemption, even if the map is plain desert design and topography, its has more character than GTA V's map layout and design. You could easily distinguish Mexico to new Austin.

Edit: For a game designed for online only with a marketing base that relied on SP and false advertising, GTA V's map makes perfect sense.

Edited by chilleverest

Cheatz/Trickz

About half of what they wanted to put in the game got cut. This could explain the unfinished feeling the game has.

The entire map is filler to justify flying, they said it themselves. The countryside is full of bland textures and nothing to do. They avoided it in IV for this very reason and then put it in V just to make the map bigger for planes. It's just wrong.

American Venom

Rather than quote Zuck's entire post I agree 100%. I've actually described Sandy Shores before as feeling like it's a stone throw away from Los Santos.

PhillBellic

Yes it is unfinished. How did this Livery get through Quality Control?

PoliceCruiser-GTAV-Front-Interceptor.png

Error2k

Well SA had very small drawing distance and if you set it to full you'll see that LS is very close to the desert. Alan Wake on the other hand is not an open world game. If Rockstar wanted to keep same amount of details and give us that countryside feeling that would take ages for them to create. Edited by RedDagger

chilleverest

Well SA had very small drawing distance and if you set it to full you'll see that LS is very close to the desert. Alan Wake on the other hand is not an open world game. If Rockstar wanted to keep same amount of details and give us that countryside feeling that would take ages for them to create.

The most generic, zombiefied, top of the head justification ever. Do people even read ? Zuck even posted RDR with a picture and yet we get comments like these.

One might argue that RDR may not have the same level of details as V but still has a sense of character(monuments, landmarks supplemented by expertly placed secrets and treasures and not just some random mountains thrown in with sh*tty texture mapping.

VenomsnakeVII

Idk i guess i went in expecting a map so big that it had some gratification to complete a roadtrip. almost lie angel pine in sa the moment you get out to stretch and see the long blacktop ahead. Gta 5 may be larger but it doesnt have that feel

kj2022

anybody play the game fuel? its a terrible racing game but it has the largest map on any console game. the map is so big it is roughly the size of the state of connecticut.

a map that big for a gta game would be boring but now imagine if rockstar made a game smaller than half the size of fuel and added all of their details, that would be a better map. if you look at the game fuel, it has a great countryside, long roads passing small towns, huge forests, a desert, and a general open feeling.

Where I agree with almost everything you said, the reason the GTA map is so tiny compared to Fuel, is because Fuel used a purely procedurally generated map, GTA will never be that size because they design it by hand without preocedural generation, which sucks.

OP: The reason they didn't do more on next gen is because it's barely optimized as is. Have you tried using the rockstar editor on PS4? saving a clip takes an eternity. On PC, i'ts more than likely just because it was branched from the PS3 version around the same time the PC version was. Not to mention, anything extra on the map in next gen or PC would have made the last gen users pissed.

Edited by kj2022

Osho

Map layout certainly could've been much better. They shouldn't have gone for the biggest, but instead should have used IVs map as a base, and expand it with the countryside, and one more city. No need for desert areas.

But like some one pointed out, for gta online it could have made more sense to them.

thatstupidbug

Unfinished? NO.

Unpolished? yes.

The idea that i have about gta V is that they tried to improve from GTA IV, but they had trouble (or got lazy) and they were forced to find quick solutions for new problems and to balance the game.

- let's introduce regeneration health and abilities! But wait, now the player is overpowered. Quick (and lazy) soutions: make the player way WEAKER than past gta games.

- let's improve gta IV police system, now the player can evade police in different ways. It is too easy? Quick (and lazy) solution: terminator police and animal reporting crimes.

- Let's create a balanced and fun driving system. It is too arcadish and overpowered? let's limit car speed and make the car explode from tiny jumps (basically ruining stunt driving)

- yeah, first person view, at last! what, it's hard to make it work in cars? let's dumb down the damage, so the head doest' get stuck in rooftops.

- last example (but i can go on and on): 6 robberies in the game! what a storyline! Wait, having so many robberies means the player can be rich in a matter of minutes. Solution? half of the jobs give the player NO MONEY at ALL. Counting the money spent for preparation, the player also LOSE money.

I see all of this as quick solutions to save the balance of the game. But quick solutions can ruin the experience if they aren't used well, and i think they weren't use well in V. At all.

Edited by thatstupidbug

Fuzzknuckles

It definitely wasn't 100% finished. I don't think it was actually supposed to be a last gen game, I think it was supposed to appear for PS4 and Xbox and when they learned the release dates for the new consoles, they shifted priorities into getting it out on last gen, causing them to stop work on numerous features, sections of story and, yeah, enterable locations such as the casino, etc. I think we were supposed to get a lot more stuff outside of the story to do and I think the Chiliad mural is a key indicator for this. That mural was going to mean something, but they didn't get that far.

Ah well, this far down the line it really doesn't f*cking matter anymore. GTA V is what it is and I still think it's a good game, a great game even, but it's not the greatest game in the world, which we probably all to some degree or another expected it to be.

Rockstar could probably have spent another year or two on V to get it finished to the standard we expect and including all the content we really expected to be there, but, honestly, who around here really believes they could have held it together for another 2 years if it had been delayed? People around here are impatient little bitches at best, so that would have probably sent them on some sort of blood-fueled rampage of impatience.