2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V compatible with Windows 10?

JamesTKirk

I bought the 7-DVD retail package and played to 100% completion using Windows 7 OS. Last week, I upgraded to Windows 10 and reinstalled the game from the DVD's, and then I copied over the directory that contained all my saved games (the files that begin with PGTA and SGTA). The game loaded just fine after updating itself, and I spent a few minutes in the game. Everything seemed to be working perfectly.

Today, I went to play GTA V, and received a small game update in the Launcher. Upon completing the download however, a popup appears that says "Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working". So now I can't seem to play the game.

Did anyone else experience something like this happening? I did clean installs of Win10 and GTAV, and the game ran perfectly after I did so... but since it is now crashing while trying to install a game update, I'm thinking maybe this is related to a security issue (the User Account Controls stuff)? Or maybe I need to run in compatibility mode? I tried that, but didn't make any difference. Do I need to run the program as an Administrator?

The good thing is, I've already completed the game, but its still fun to goof around in it from time to time... but if I can't fix this current problem I have, that's not gonna be possible. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

I bought the 7-DVD retail package and played to 100% completion using Windows 7 OS. Last week, I upgraded to Windows 10 and reinstalled the game from the DVD's, and then I copied over the directory that contained all my saved games (the files that begin with PGTA and SGTA). The game loaded just fine after updating itself, and I spent a few minutes in the game. Everything seemed to be working perfectly.

Today, I went to play GTA V, and received a small game update in the Launcher. Upon completing the download however, a popup appears that says "Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working". So now I can't seem to play the game.

Did anyone else experience something like this happening? I did clean installs of Win10 and GTAV, and the game ran perfectly after I did so... but since it is now crashing while trying to install a game update, I'm thinking maybe this is related to a security issue (the User Account Controls stuff)? Or maybe I need to run in compatibility mode? I tried that, but didn't make any difference. Do I need to run the program as an Administrator?

The good thing is, I've already completed the game, but its still fun to goof around in it from time to time... but if I can't fix this current problem I have, that's not gonna be possible. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

No I haven´t had any issues I have played it on 10 without problems.

Edited by GTA4LIFE9000

Ok, thanks - yeah, I'm not seeing any reports either here or on the Reddit GTAV... so it must be something that I did while turning off all of Microsoft's data collection capabilities. C'est la vie, so be it, if this is the end of my GTA V experience, it was a fun ride indeed. It took me about an hour to go thru the entire 7-DVD install, and I really don't think I want to do that again.

I never did complete Michael's final mission - the Omega thing, or whatever its called. I was right in the middle of wearing that goofy uniform for an entire week. Luckily, that mission comes after 100% Completion (how dumb), so it won't affect my life if I never get to complete it. LOL Having said that... I am here posting on the forum, so obviously I do care a little bit about fixing this problem. Just not a whole lot.

using it on windows 10 no issues.make sure you update you graphics drivers. because there was an update for windows 10 drivers.

• Like 1

thebunnyrules

Beyond the fact that it's Spyware for Microsoft and that you can't even take a dump without them knowing it, the main issue you should be aware of with Windows 10 is that some games that were made pre-Windows8 don't ask for administrative rights when they need it as it was not that strictly enforced under 7. so, if things aren't working well in a game under 10, you may need to run it as admin. I've also had alot of headache running sweetFX and GemFX under 10 but none with Reshade/Sweetfx(which include all of the above shaders). Other then that, I've ran games for XP on it. I was part of the "Windows Insider" program and used 10 from it's first TP till well after release but due to the privacy isses, I'm back on 7 now.

• Like 5

My only issue was the memory leak,increase since i upgraded from 8.1.

Before the RAM usage was 78% now sometimes pass 90% lol......(i have 6 gb)

Beyond the fact that it's Spyware for Microsoft and that you can't even take a dump without them knowing it, the main issue you should be aware of with Windows 10 is that some games that were made pre-Windows8 don't ask for administrative rights when they need it as it was not that strictly enforced under 7. so, if things aren't working well in a game under 10, you may need to run it as admin. I've also had alot of headache running sweetFX and GemFX under 10 but none with Reshade/Sweetfx(which include all of the above shaders). Other then that, I've ran games for XP on it. I was part of the "Windows Insider" program and used 10 from it's first TP till well after release but due to the privacy isses, I'm back on 7 now.

I'd be SUPER weary with updating graphics drivers. As soon as i updated my Nvidia drivers for my 970m and ran windows updates my system got f*cked. Had to revert back to Win 8, and then reinstall 10. I haven't updated anything and it's running so damn smooth.

thebunnyrules

GTA uses alot of RAM and when there isn't enough it goes for the virtual memory. The virutal mem settings may have just changed when you upgraded to 8.1. There may be less and GTA is needed to use more RAM because of that.

My only issue was the memory leak,increase since i upgraded from 8.1.
Before the RAM usage was 78% now sometimes pass 90% lol......(i have 6 gb)

thebunnyrules
I'd be SUPER weary with updating graphics drivers. As soon as i updated my Nvidia drivers for my 970m and ran windows updates my system got f*cked. Had to revert back to Win 8, and then reinstall 10. I haven't updated anything and it's running so damn smooth.

Yeah, 10's update policy is just f*cked: mandatory updates and MS stopped telling people what's in the updates. 10 will update the drivers sometimes with the wrong drivers or out of date drivers making your system more unstable then it was. There is an option buried deep in the settings menu that allows you to turn off Driver Updates but 10 just ignores it and continues updating drivers anyway. blixxlez, blocking windows updates was the best thing you could have done. It used to be that updates were useful in patching newly discovered vulnerability or instability but ever since Microsoft has decided to take the path of freemium and data mining, MS has become a much greater threat to user privacy then any Russian script kiddie ever was.

Edited by thebunnyrules
  • Like 2

I tried the solutions listed here, with no positive result: https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/204075496-How-to-Resolve-Errors-in-the-Social-Club-Launcher-for-GTAV-PC

As far as Windows 10 goes, ironically, I am thankful they turned the OS into a glorified data-collection Orwellian nightmare... because that only prompted me into finally going to Linux, getting back to my roots (I go back to the 1970's when we used to code in BASIC and had a carriage-feed ink printer as a "monitor" LOL). Its kind of exciting to go back to the "good old days" when computers were new and exciting mystery... well, that's Linux for me right now. But I WILL learn and adapt to it, and it is all thanks to Microsoft and their corporate stupidity.

The only reason I loaded up Win10 was so I could keep gaming. When I move to Linux, certain games will be unplayable, but I'll just have to discover that as I proceed. Losing GTA V as a playable Windows 10 game on my computer will likely be the final straw for me. It is time to make the big jump and kiss the Microsoft monstrosity goodbye for good.

So my final question - can GTA V run in Linux, is that do-able? Since I have the 7-DVD retail package made for Windows, I suppose I'd have to run the game thru some sort of "interpreter" program, which I think they call WINE, is that reasonably accurate? Does it work?

So I found another report of this exact problem, in the Help & Support Forum: http://gtaforums.com/topic/817530-gta-v-launcher-stopped-working/

There's no answer there, so no need to look... but we're up to three reports now. That report was posted back in August, so it's very old - but he experienced the exact same thing... installed Windows 10, installed GTA V, played the game and it worked perfectly, came back a few days later and the Launcher crashes every time, making the game unplayable.

All my drivers are up to date, and I reinstalled the Rockstar Social Club. The Launcher still crashes upon completion of the game update download.

Edited by JamesTKirk

If you had Win8 on your PC before, absolutely. It runs much better now with Win10, but about 7 vs. 10 I can't tell you which one is best for gaming. But yes 10 is good, I've never had problems until now.

When someone can answer my question to my satisfaction then I may try 10 now my question{ Why is Micro$oft giving 10 away for free?}. And don't say it's because they are going to stop Win 7 updates.

When someone can answer my question to my satisfaction then I may try 10 now my question{ Why is Micro$oft giving 10 away for free?}. And don't say it's because they are going to stop Win 7 updates.

That's a question us mortals cannot answer. Jk :p there's multiple possible reasons for that. Maybe they were aware Windows 8 is awful and wanted to compensate it's users for it, and make the others want to upgrade. Maybe it was since the other OS companies also distribute free upgrades that were making costumers to move to the competition and they wanted to regain them. Maybe it's all a conspiracy and they want the most people possible to use their Spyware so they can track everybody's movements, create a really smart AI and dominate the world. XD

After a search on the Internet, it seems the second is the most plausible. Times have changed after all, more and more people want to be on the edge of the technological advances and not paying for it. Now since they have their own PC brand, smartphones and consoles, it's one more reason to make people use their products, meaning higher sales.

That's a question us mortals cannot answer. Jk :p there's multiple possible reasons for that. Maybe they were aware Windows 8 is awful and wanted to compensate it's users for it, and make the others want to upgrade. Maybe it was since the other OS companies also distribute free upgrades that were making costumers to move to the competition and they wanted to regain them. Maybe it's all a conspiracy and they want the most people possible to use their Spyware so they can track everybody's movements, create a really smart AI and dominate the world. XD

After a search on the Internet, it seems the second is the most plausible. Times have changed after all, more and more people want to be on the edge of the technological advances and not paying for it. Now since they have their own PC brand, smartphones and consoles, it's one more reason to make people use their products, meaning higher sales.

Vista is a poor excuse for a OS but they never gave 7 away ,I tend to go with the bloated spyware conspiracy . More then likely tied in with some goverment agency to keep tabs on it's users.

Edited by kvic

When someone isn't charging you for their product... guess what? *YOU* are the product! Microsoft has set up Windows 10 so it can analyze everything you do online, such as what websites you visit, what games you play, what music you listen to, what videos you watch... it is quite possible (and likely) they are even scanning all your emails for keywords... and they take all that information that they gather "behind the scenes" (meaning, you are not aware they are even doing it), and they SELL IT. They sell it to advertising corporations, or marketing firms, for a lot of money, because they're telling each advertiser, "Hey, we've already analyzed everthing this person does, and we think he would be a perfect customer for your product."

Do you understand? For some people, they may not view this as being the least bit bothersome. To other people, they might wonder, "How come Microsoft gets to make all this money off of MY data, and I get nothing?" Well... we do get something "for free"... the lousy operating system. But the fact is, there are other free PC operating systems out there (such as the Linux Kernel) that do not contain data collection software inside. However, Linux is not without its drawbacks - most especially for avid gamers like myself. We all must make the choice. I know I've made mine.

Edited by JamesTKirk
  • Like 1

SOLVED!

Note: I have the retail game version, not the Steam version. Not certain how this would apply to Steam version, I assume it will work tho.

Problem: Could not obtain/finish the game update download via the Social Club Launcher, I was constantly getting a Windows 10 popup saying "GTA V Launcher has stopped working" before the update finished.

Solution: I used the GTA V Repair Tool, as detailed in a post on the Rockstar Games Support site:

This fixed the game for me! Go to https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate and click DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS when the downloader starts it askes if you want to fix gta 5 or uninstall it (i think) click on fix gta 5. And then let the installer fix the game for you! i had to download an update when i tried to launch the game after that, but after the update the game worked again!

Edited by JamesTKirk

SOLVED!

Note: I have the retail game version, not the Steam version. Not certain how this would apply to Steam version, I assume it will work tho.

Problem: Could not obtain/finish the game update download via the Social Club Launcher, I was constantly getting a Windows 10 popup saying "GTA V Launcher has stopped working" before the update finished.

Solution: I used the GTA V Repair Tool, as detailed in a post on the Rockstar Games Support site:

This fixed the game for me! Go to https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate and click DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS when the downloader starts it askes if you want to fix gta 5 or uninstall it (i think) click on fix gta 5. And then let the installer fix the game for you! i had to download an update when i tried to launch the game after that, but after the update the game worked again!

Really? Ima give this a try.