Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

The Hero

DFF importer and exporter for 3ds max

Recommended Posts

Raulspeed

The Hero excellent mod, how I could export this model of the skin that I extracted from the mod Skin and Bones for GTAIII, because when I introduce it to the game it gives me error

2LekvXR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

Tick 'export skinning' (this should also imply 'create hanim hierarchy') and set the version to GTA III PC.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raulspeed

Ok very Thanks dude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gmer
On 8/14/2019 at 10:38 AM, The Hero said:

Alright, done. Link is the same.

Add 3DS 2020 to the list of supported versions in main post

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
firedihm
On 9/1/2019 at 11:03 AM, The Hero said:

Tick 'export skinning' (this should also imply 'create hanim hierarchy') and set the version to GTA III PC.

Any idea why model size decreases after export? I imported 196KB ped, but it only weighs 140KB after export?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tut98
6 hours ago, firedihm said:

Any idea why model size decreases after export? I imported 196KB ped, but it only weighs 140KB after export?

Some models contain unnecessary/unused data which is removed on some exporters. It's also worth noting that enabling/disabling 'Vertex normals' has a huge play in file sizes.

Further to this, if you imported your model at 45 degree Autosmooth, your custom model's smoothing groups will be modified. And this does change the file size I think, e.g changing value from 30 to 45 does greatly reduce size. But it also makes the smoothing look uglier in a sense.

Edited by Tut Greco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeneric

What map channel "Extra Vertex Colours" uses? Can it be manipulated into using night vertex colors (plus normals and day vertex colors) for vehicles? Either thru RWanalyze or 3ds Max.

 

I'm trying to use Night Vertex Colors for vehicles, not just normals + day vertex colors.

Edited by Zeneric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

The vehicle pipeline doesn't support day and night vertex colours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gold_fish
5 hours ago, The Hero said:

The vehicle pipeline doesn't support day and night vertex colours.

supports, but only day extra colors 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cj2000
On 9/5/2019 at 11:23 PM, gold_fish said:

supports, but only day extra colors 😃

What that should be? Extra colors are night colors.

On 9/4/2019 at 8:10 PM, Tut Greco said:

Some models contain unnecessary/unused data which is removed on some exporters. It's also worth noting that enabling/disabling 'Vertex normals' has a huge play in file sizes.

Further to this, if you imported your model at 45 degree Autosmooth, your custom model's smoothing groups will be modified. And this does change the file size I think, e.g changing value from 30 to 45 does greatly reduce size. But it also makes the smoothing look uglier in a sense.

Smoothing groups can influence only the values of normals, but not their number and only the number of normals influence the size, not their values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

It does reduce the number. If a vertex has more than one normal it has to be stored as many times as there are normals. So the smoother an object is, the fewer normals there are per vertex and the smaller the file will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gold_fish
23 hours ago, cj2000 said:

What that should be? Extra colors are night colors.

Smoothing groups can influence only the values of normals, but not their number and only the number of normals influence the size, not their values.

влияет, если если рассоединишь каждый треугольник (break)

Quote

What that should be? Extra colors are night colors.

не понял ответ

 

p.s. sorry for russian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cj2000
22 hours ago, The Hero said:

It does reduce the number. If a vertex has more than one normal it has to be stored as many times as there are normals. So the smoother an object is, the fewer normals there are per vertex and the smaller the file will be.

But does max alow 1 vertex to have more then 1 normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cj2000
21 minutes ago, gold_fish said:

влияет, если если рассоединишь каждый треугольник (break)

не понял ответ

 

p.s. sorry for russian

Ну так если рассоединит каждый треугольник, то размер вырастет в любом случая независимо от того одинаковые нормали или нет.
Что касается day extra colors, то не понял о чём ты day colors это обычные прелиты а extra colors это и есть night colors, day extra colors это тогда должно быть что то типа day night colors, что не имеет смысла.

 

p.s. also sorry for russian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero
37 minutes ago, cj2000 said:

But does max alow 1 vertex to have more then 1 normal?

Certainly. that's what smoothing groups are for after all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gold_fish
6 hours ago, cj2000 said:

Ну так если рассоединит каждый треугольник, то размер вырастет в любом случая независимо от того одинаковые нормали или нет.
Что касается day extra colors, то не понял о чём ты day colors это обычные прелиты а extra colors это и есть night colors, day extra colors это тогда должно быть что то типа day night colors, что не имеет смысла.

 

p.s. also sorry for russian

I apparently confused myself, I apologize.

For vehicles you can export the day prelite, but you can't night

5 hours ago, The Hero said:

Certainly. that's what smoothing groups are for after all.

 @sj2000 It means each vertex of the triangle will have its own normal

 

And when the normal is the same for all angles of the triangles, then such an angle becomes smoothed and is exported to dff in compressed form using the tristrip method

 

Edited by gold_fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cj2000
On 9/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, The Hero said:

Certainly. that's what smoothing groups are for after all.

But I am tallking about max, so for example I have created a box in max and every of its plains has its own smoothing group, so every vertex should have 3 diferent normals, but it´s not the case instead every vertex has a really strange value for normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

I don't know what a "really strange normal" is. In any case, when you export a cube with hard edges as a dff you will (as you said) need three normals per vertex. with 8 vertices that is 24 normals and vertices. if they all belong to the same smoothing group you have one normal per vertex so 8 normals and vertices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cj2000
On 9/11/2019 at 6:26 PM, gold_fish said:

I apparently confused myself, I apologize.

For vehicles you can export the day prelite, but you can't night

 @sj2000 It means each vertex of the triangle will have its own normal

 

And when the normal is the same for all angles of the triangles, then such an angle becomes smoothed and is exported to dff in compressed form using the tristrip method

 

Theoreticaly you could export night colors for vehicles, but no idea how the game engine would handle such vehicle.

Every vertex of a triangle has its own normal independent of which smoothing group it has. Also tristrip method has nothin gt do with smoothing, map objects are also exported using tristrip method and they use no normals.

2 minutes ago, The Hero said:

I don't know what a "really strange normal" is. In any case, when you export a cube with hard edges as a dff you will (as you said) need three normals per vertex. with 8 vertices that is 24 normals and vertices. if they all belong to the same smoothing group you have one normal per vertex so 8 normals and vertices.

A normal has length value of 1, but normals with different value for length is strange for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toaster_Bath

Hello, does this tool work with 3D Studio Max 2019 ?

 

Thanks in advance for further reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gmer
15 hours ago, Toaster_Bath said:

Hello, does this tool work with 3D Studio Max 2019 ?

No it doesn't, some 3DS versions have cross-compatible SDK but that's not the case for 3DS 2019, a very uncommon version.

 

There are DFF plugins in the .zip for:

 

J8vQw7u.png

 

I advise you to just update to 3DS Max 2020 and use the plugin version for it.

Edited by Gmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pimann

it says 'export module failure' when I try to export anything to any format.

what;s wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tut98
On 11/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, pimann said:

it says 'export module failure' when I try to export anything to any format.

what;s wrong?

I was able to reproduce this error, it occured after I tried to export without having selected anything. You need to select the model that you're wanting to export.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pimann
12 hours ago, Tut Greco said:

I was able to reproduce this error, it occured after I tried to export without having selected anything. You need to select the model that you're wanting to export.

But when you make a skin, select the skeleton root node (waist) and the model will be exported correctly. You can use this to make a GTA 3 skin that will work with The Hero's Skin and Bones plugin.

Edited by pimann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M4k3

So there's this annoying bug with the width of material parameter editor in Slate Material Editor. Whenever I open RW Material's parameters the width of the panel decreases slightly. If I keep on clicking on different RW Materials to edit their properties then the width may end up being unusable. Adding a standard 3ds Max material and opening its properties will revert the width but then again RW Materials will keep decreasing it. https://imgur.com/a/in1CJeH

 

Also the weird viewport bug with some parts of objects being visible through other parts is caused by transparency of the material being enabled all the time. I think some sort of proper alpha detection would prevent this from happening. Bitmap has Alpha Source switch which could be used as the detection. The RW Material's transparency would work only if Image Alpha is selected, otherwise - no transparency at all.

If the above method is not possible then maybe an alpha display switch inside the RW Material itself would be useful.

 

Also Material's alpha value IMHO would be better as 0-255 rather than 0-1,0. Back when I was using Kam's Scripts (and seggaeman's plugin) it was clear that 254 would have only the rendering impact for the part (used to make the game recognize these parts as windows on vehicles). Now it's not clear for me what value to use. Should it be 0,99 or 0,997 or what? The same about 100 value (values 0-99 = totally invisible on vehicles). What should it be? 0.39 or 0.392 or 0.393 or what?

 

Oh and I'd like to have a way to export DFFs with collisions attached without having to use RW Analyze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

The material is slightly weird i agree. alpha and material colours are definitely not nice. and I've never used the slate material editor so i never checked how it works there. as for the general design of the material i just copied the original RW material.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tut98
On 11/8/2019 at 9:38 PM, M4k3 said:

Also the weird viewport bug with some parts of objects being visible through other parts is caused by transparency of the material being enabled all the time. I think some sort of proper alpha detection would prevent this from happening. Bitmap has Alpha Source switch which could be used as the detection. The RW Material's transparency would work only if Image Alpha is selected, otherwise - no transparency at all.

If the above method is not possible then maybe an alpha display switch inside the RW Material itself would be useful.

I have a workaround for this. On Max 2017 I set my viewport quality to HQ, flat color display and disable ambient occlusion + shadows in viewport (for better performance). This seems to render models perfectly fine although obviously it isn't showing normals. If you want to show normals, but not bitmaps, setting it to High Quality will do, and if you need bitmaps display, set it to flat colods. My memory is leaking these days but I think I also use the VertexPaint modifier set to fully show the vertex colors. This should also render the objects just fine in viewport.

Hope it helps

Edited by Tut Greco
Added to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

I have actually considered implementing the material rendering with a shader, but i never could be assed to do it. If somebody wants to fix the material rendering i'll be happy to include it in the zip.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supr1k

@The Hero 

Hello, will there be mass export of dff in the future?

Edited by Supr1k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hero

No, sorry. You can write a maxscript for that.

 

 

In other news: there was a bug with importing skin weights which mostly occurred with SA dffs. Since I never test SA that much I didn't notice. Uploaded a fixed 3.2a.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.