Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,821 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

The Hero

DFF importer and exporter for 3ds max

Tut Greco

This is something that should be automated with maxscript perhaps. I may release a new version in the not too far future. I think I at least understood the skinning issues that I can fix them.

I personally don't mind that the vehicle colors are not included, as I simply use GTA material to set and copy the colors from, thought it may be a waste of time to script.

As for skinning, I'm really looking forward to news on that particular issue. I may not go back to skinning before I get hands on a script which supports smoothing, as KAM's makes it all hard edged. I'm already using your script for vehicles and I got to say a huge thank you for your effort!

Geeviz
Posted (edited)

Hi people,

Im pretty new here, like a few minutes.. I am Geeviz. :lol:

For years GTA is in my veins .. and after years of pause I get renewed (is that a correct sentence? :blink: ) with GTA 3, vice and SA.. However.. I downloaded the DFF 2.1 plugin for 3ds MAX and followed the readme to put all files hopefully in the correct 3ds folder.

At Program Files x86 folder I found an instance of Autodesk and also

in the normal Program Files.. copied to both (right maps) instances of Autodesk

Only don't know what to do with the SRC folder which is also in the pluginfolder.. cannot find in the readme to copy that also..

Only thing is.. after starting 3ds.. what are the exact steps to get the DFF working?

First general message is this one:

"FTL: Virtual device creation failed.."

I tried after clicking the error away.. loading player.dff (GTA 3) but 3ds says...

"File open failed..."

What I am doin' wrong? Is it perhaps i cannot see .dff when i would like to open files? I only see

.max and .chr .. or "all files"

Autodesk does crash now everytime with several DLL DLi errors.. (can't find this, cant load this, can't load that.. no correct version.. etcetera)

Hope some of you can help me out with it..

Cheers, Geeviz.

Edited by Geeviz

The Hero

Forget the old version, I just put up a new link to 3.1d. Try again with that and report back if you still have problems. Make sure you only copy the file for your version and architecture of 3ds max.

Geeviz
Posted (edited)

Got still the same issues.. But what Program Files instance of Autodesk do I copy to?

I found still 1 in the Program Files and 1 in the Program Files x86... Copying the files to their appropiete paths in both instances gives errors after loading..the program..

oh lol.. I get to the conclusion that there is no 2017 plugin file yet.. I hoped the older would work with A.D 3ds 2017

Edited by Geeviz

The Hero

Find out from which directory you start 3ds max. I think 2017 is supported right now.

Geeviz
Posted (edited)

Got the plug working... ☺

new problem.. after opening player.dff which extracted from gta.img I only get 4 gray squares with one a selected yellow border..

even with kam script which menu is visible...

after loading any dff nothing shows up....

Edited by Geeviz

The Hero

I don't think I understand. Show a screenshot.

Geeviz
Posted (edited)

20180503_172157_zpsh1lzgrap.jpg

Unfortunately it is a bad quality pic.. I cannot make anyhow sharp images with samsung..

but for this purpose it is sharp enough to show my screen after loading player.DFF...

4 squares. one square with yellow border.. no more no less ☺

Edited by Geeviz

AdusPL

Unfortunately it is a bad quality pic.. I cannot make anyhow sharp images with samsung..

but for this purpose it is sharp enough to show my screen after loading player.DFF...

4 squares. one square with yellow border.. no more no less ☺

You know you can use prntscr key on your keyboard to capture your screen.

Try importing the model without the "Convert frame hierarchy" option.

Geeviz
Posted (edited)

Screen keeps still the same..

eeeg_zpsdivccw4f.jpg

Edited by Geeviz

The Hero

That's just the 3ds max interface. Try pressing z, i think that's the zoom-extents hotkey.

Geeviz
Posted (edited)

Strangely it is how the screen appears after loading the dff file. If i press z the yellow border changes to the square where the mousepointer is..

Edited by Geeviz

guard3

You sure you're comfortable with 3ds Max? You import from the "import" menu. If the dff is correctly read, it will show a message "convert frame hierarchy". Ok, and the model is imported. Pressing H will list all instances in the project. If you see the model, that means it's loaded and you can select it.

Geeviz

Well, I am quite new to 3DSMax. But I thought opening a little file was not rocket science. Maybe my bad ☺.

Well, to the point.. After opening again player.dff it gets still the above screen. By pressing the H key I get a menu like "select from scene".. but that screen is also black..

Geeviz

It is fixed by setting directx to legacy open gl.. seems my graphics card isn't supported.. lol

All works well Thanks! ☺

Tut Greco

I have encountered an issue when modeling map objects;

I am exporting using your (truly amazing, I can't stop saying it!) DFF exporter but export collisions using another script. I can't figure how to make collisions work properly when exported using your CST/COL exporter. Will the coordinates be the same?

The Hero

I don't understand what you mean. I don't think I ever released the COL part of the plugin as it's unfinished.

Tut Greco

I don't understand what you mean. I don't think I ever released the COL part of the plugin as it's unfinished.

Looks like you have as Rockstar Collision, but I might be mistaken. Anyhow, glad to hear that it's unfinished.

btw, I'm experiencing issues with bitmap types. Apparently PNG images aren't supported in the material editor slots, they go blank/empty. TGA does work fluently but appears to be way less quality than PNG. Any idea what's going on with that?

guard3

Maybe that's 3ds max's fault. Some image formats appear wrong in the editor and/or render. But considering that the final model uses textures from TXD, it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're doing UVW mapping, then maybe you could give DDS a shot ;)

cj2000

Maybe that's 3ds max's fault. Some image formats appear wrong in the editor and/or render. But considering that the final model uses textures from TXD, it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're doing UVW mapping, then maybe you could give DDS a shot ;)

Yes new max versions seem to have problems with image formats sometimes. Had such problem on max 2010, which was a reason I am still on max 9.

Tut Greco

Ah I appreciate it.

Is there any documentation on export settings and material parameters? I seem to be getting large DFF files when enabling certain export settings. I'm also interested in what the material parameters does as I'm used to GTA MTL only. :D

guard3

Depends on what you want to export.

Tut Greco

right now im mostly concerned about the file sizes, and have experienced toggling off normals and light flag has helped a lot. but what are they/how do they affect the dff?

Q9NYerr.png

i'm aware what vertex prelights, node names, extra vertec colors and file version means, not the rest.

HalfwayOrb

See here:

Maybe a bug?

Tut Greco

Will 2dfx (light + particle effects) be integrated in your plugin  at some point to avoid having to run through RW analyze? Kam's 2018 supports it but I don't want to use Kam's 2018 due to issues with the scripts.

The Hero

I'm not saying no, but it's been a while since I last worked on the code and it's not even a priority for me right now. Sorry.

Tut Greco

the updated script seems to import skinned characters correctly (atleast with my attempts). that's amazing. haven't tried exporting, but i reckon it'll work like a charm.

--

i got a bit curious how to work with your script in terms of map objects. i have no issues with .dff's, but i can't figure how to export collisions properly. 

#exporting collisions with kam's script and dffs with your script results in different pos / rot values due to the exporters being different from eachother.

i and a friend have a method for vehicle collisions however no luck with map collisions. 

looking forward to feedback on the issue, thanks in advance 😏

The Hero

Exporting collisions is currently not supported from my plugin. I have written some code for that but it wasn't ready for general use yet.

guard3

@Tut Greco For the time being, you can export col model as 3DS, import it to CollEditor and edit surface properties through that.