2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

isogamer

GTA V PC V sync ON VS OFF?

isogamer

Hi, so recently i got a 960 2GB gtx SSC edition and boy let me tell you what a difference it makes from my previous 760 gtx 2gb card. I didn't think there would be a big difference between the two card, since from my research it shows there is about 10 to 15FPS between two cards, but that 10 to 15fps extra makes a difference ESPECIALLY in 1080p gaming.

Anyways i just wanted to know if V sync is worth enabling it? Cause with the 960 gtx that i have i find a BIG difference when i enable it. I find the game to run more fluid, the image pops up more VS turning it off. With my 760gtx i didn't find a big difference when i enabled V sync but with the 960GTX i do find a difference. I know i get more FPS if i have V sync disabled but the game looks soo much better when i enable Vsync. There are times i run into issues with games like BF4 when i have v sync enabled. If i am in a server with lots of smoke or flares i do lose alot of FPS, and same can be said with GTA 5 when there is alot of stuff going on and i do end up going all the way down to 40ish FPS with V sync enabled. IS it worth having v sync enabled?

I have a Asus 1080p 60hz monitor, and i don't think its a placebo effect that i have, cause to me i find enabling Vsync makes GTA 5 better and other pc games like BF4 and Tomb Raider 2013 look better. Am i wrong?

mahanddeem

You asked and answered. If you like v sync on, nothing in the world can stop you.

lol

Edit: I, myself, like v sync to be on whenever it does not cause major issues (stuttering, input lag, etc.)

Edited by mahanddeem

isogamer

You asked and answered. If you like v sync on, nothing in the world can stop you.

lol

Edit: I, myself, like v sync to be on whenever it does not cause major issues (stuttering, input lag, etc.)

well i mean i just want to know if it is worth it in the long run? I noticed that when i do have vsync off i see some tearing in certain parts of the map

Edited by isogamer

stretchx9

Vsync will only effectively work if your video card always produces fps in excess of your monitor's refresh rate. GTAV will produce massive frame rate variances.

If your fps drops below your monitor's refresh rate (60 hz), Vsync will try to reduce your frame rate to 45 or 30, producing high frame time variances which results in stuttering. I suggest you crank up your game's graphic settings until you can't hit 60 fps and leave Vsync off. That way you will avoid both tearing and stuttering and the game play will be more fluid.

It's said that Adaptive Vsync option turns Vsync off when fps is below your monitor's refresh rate to avoid stuttering which indeed it does....but only in open gl.

*A 120hz monitor will not require Vsync with your 960.

*IMHO* You could have gotten a 4 gigabyte 960 for only a few more dollars and get more Vram for higher textures and eye candy.

Edited by stretchx9

gajrajgchouhan

Turn it off in-game and enable it from Nvidia Control Panel.

stretchx9

Turn it off in-game and enable it from Nvidia Control Panel.

Yep, Vsync in the game has always been broken but enabling it in Nvcp doesn't change it's undesirable characteristics..

Edited by stretchx9

Uncle Sikee Atric

The V-sync debate in GTA V....

I have seen examples of both ends, where users get better performance on and off.

So if it works better with it on for you, by all means do so.

Experiment with all the settings and you'll be stunned what changes in performance you can achieve. There are few games where settings change from PC to PC, but GTA V is one of those games....

GTA-Bobski
There's been a fix for v-sync stuttering from day one but apparently very few know about it.

Make a commandline.txt in the GTA V directory and put this in it:

-FrameLimit 1

Downside is every time you start the game you have to turn v-sync off in the settings. But in return you basically get adaptive v-sync.

mahanddeem

I suggest you crank up your game's graphic settings until you can't hit 60 fps and leave Vsync off. That way you will avoid both tearing and stuttering and the game play will be more fluid.

That's wrong. Tearing can happen anyway with fps more or less than screen refresh rate. It's related to frame timing not count. That's why you can feel smoother experience when Vsync is on (when it works correctly with game, gpu, driver and os). Edited by mahanddeem

Danidasanic

turn on adaptive v-sync :)

ZodaEX

There's been a fix for v-sync stuttering from day one but apparently very few know about it.
Make a commandline.txt in the GTA V directory and put this in it:
-FrameLimit 1
Downside is every time you start the game you have to turn v-sync off in the settings. But in return you basically get adaptive v-sync.
Your fix is bogus/snake oil.

kevincube19900917

I prefer when v-sync is on, because the game is smoother.

WarthogCC
Posted (edited)

I get 60+ FPS whether it's on or off.  But having it off makes my GPU sound like a turbine and overheats it.

Edited by WarthogCC