3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

[PS4] GTA V Time Trials

doubleg213

I know that G, I will not be buying a gaming PC until Bing can afford to buy his own 'cos I am not buying two of the bloody things.

Sod the high frame rate, I would just use mod menus (he says as he boots up his PS3 ;))

Edited by JuniorChubb

You can build something relatively decent for sensible money which would be relatively scale able and easy enough to upgrade.

My current PC is pushing 5 or 6 years old and still will run pretty much anything and it wasn't really as high spec as I would have liked at the time. The only reason I'm looking at a new one is that once I have Illustrator, Photoshop and a few other things open at the same time it's just feeling that little bit too slow for my liking and I'd like to speed up my render times on Premiere.

That and the fact it struggles with 3DS which is frustrating as it's seriously hampering me being able to spend any time improving with that.

You can build something relatively decent for sensible money which would be relatively scale able and easy enough to upgrade.

You can keep that information to yourself if you are on GTA this Saturday afternoon.

He was asking me to transfer his account to PC the other day.......

I consider the folks entering this contest the top tier in GTA racing,

big LOLS coming out of casa catman this lunchtime

• Like 3

PC vs PS4 is all dependent on frame rate.

Some of the NoDo guys did some testing, a consistent 30fps frame rate and a consistent 60fps frame rate gave similar timing ranges and consistent laps within tenths of each other. If you have inconsistent frame rate then you will tend to be slower (mine fluctuates between 45 and 70 depending on light and weather conditions) and I am generally quicker on PS4 than PC.

At the higher frame rates you have gains in acceleration (once you get to 120fps) the theory being that the game is calculating and reacting to your inputs faster and is calculating faster so it processes the fact you are hard on the throttle twice as often and as a result accelerates faster because the game knows that is what you are doing rather than waiting for the next frame that fraction longer at 60fps. Not sure I've explained that even slightly well.

There is definitely a trade off though, Broughy used to complain about "PC understeer" as have a few others, this is as a result of the fact that you are going a tiny bit faster so the braking point needs to be a bit earlier and similarly to the fact it reacts to you accelerating more rapidly it does the same on braking. The extra acceleration can also be a penalty when you're exiting corners, if you get on the throttle where you would on PS3 or PS4 the car is more liable to lose traction and snap sideways because it picks up faster.

In Summary

PS3 = Slower acceleration but better handling

PS4 = Same as PS3

PC @ 30fps = Same as PS3 & PS4

PC @ 60fps = More responsive so broadly similar but gain in acceleration lose in handling, we believe the game also has some level of frame rate compensation in this range as well.

PC @ 120fps and higher = Cheat mode

Anecdotally I bitched for ages about the fact PC seemed to handle completely differently to PS3 when I first got the PC version, I was having loads of trouble with cars I usually had no issues with like the Xion and caused havoc on more than a few NoDo PC playlists because the car just didn't do what I expected it to, largely because of the above.

For better explanations than the above you're best off checking the NoDo forums and looking at posts by Chili as he is the one who typically does the most in depth analysis on this stuff.

Looking back at last years times, only AndyGanteks set competitive times on PC and I personally was quicker on PS3 & PS4 than PC.

I already have a plan in mind if we see people lapping at times that seem like they may be exploiting the 120fps limits. On PC they should be able to record with the FPS counter overlay on and I'd enforce this for PC should it become an issue. If I suspect anyone on PC that will become a permanent requirement for PC laptimes.

Although I would say if your life is so empty that you need to cheat so that you can "win" on a GTA V Time Trials thing online you probably need to take a very hard look at yourself.

Great summary, thanks!

Although I would say if your life is so empty that you need to cheat so that you can "win" on a GTA V Time Trials thing online you probably need to take a very hard look at yourself.

+1

I already have a plan in mind if we see people lapping at times that seem like they may be exploiting the 120fps limits. On PC they should be able to record with the FPS counter overlay on and I'd enforce this for PC should it become an issue. If I suspect anyone on PC that will become a permanent requirement for PC laptimes.

After speaking to a few fellow PC participants, it seems quite a few have unknowingly exceeded 60fps. Just make sure your VSYNC is turned on and you will be locked to 60fps.

• Like 1

Damn it Doubleg.

Been plugging away with this for the past 2 weeks only to find unbeknown to me that my lap is now void.

Been running 144 refresh rate as default for the past few years did not realise it gave us pc players an advantage.

Held back by the consoles bloody typical,Bad enough trying to use a controller on fps [console] games now the refresh rate limit.

Microsoft and Sony need to get there research teams on this to catch up with our machines

Edited by JimWolfy
  • Like 1

After speaking to a few fellow PC participants, it seems quite a few have unknowingly exceeded 60fps. Just make sure your VSYNC is turned on and you will be locked to 60fps.

That's how the NoDo PC lot used to try and cover it on racing events.

I run with VSYNC on anyway as if the frame rate ramps up on mine I start getting screen tearing anyway.

• Like 1

Damn it Doubleg.

Been plugging away with this for the past 2 weeks only to find unbeknown to me that my lap is now void.

Been running 144 refresh rate as default for the past few years did not realise it gave us pc players an advantage.

Held back by the consoles bloody typical,Bad enough trying to use a controller on fps [console] games now the fps limit.

Microsoft and Sony need to get there research teams on this to catch up with our super elite machines.

My now defunked lap with 144 refresh rate was *****,Will fire away with this eye burning 60 fps for the last few days.

Respect!

Edited by hookitandbookit

I Cant seem to be able to send PM, how do i submit? :blink:

I see you only joined a week ago, isn't there a minimum post requirement until you can send PM'S???

As an anti spam thing I think you need 5 forum posts to PM.

If you're on PS4 for this round send an image to my PS4 account doubleg213 until you have your post count up.

I've also sent a PM to you, see if you can reply to that.

Edited by doubleg213

That's how the NoDo PC lot used to try and cover it on racing events.

I run with VSYNC on anyway as if the frame rate ramps up on mine I start getting screen tearing anyway.

yeah same here. I also get occasional stuttering with VSYNC off.

As an anti spam thing I think you need 5 forum posts to PM.

If you're on PS4 for this round send an image to my PS4 account doubleg213 until you have your post count up.

I've also sent a PM to you, see if you can reply to that.

Is it forum PM only for entries G? No probs, just checking

Preferably although there are always some dodgy layabouts who seem to think they can just message me on PS4 all the time.

Edited by doubleg213
  • Like 1

Preferably although there are always some dodgy layabouts who seem to think they can just message me on PS4 all the time.

Bastards the lot of em..........

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, this post makes two so I'll just find a few more threads to post in on here to keep things easy.

XDBX thread. Pop into the VANS thread to say hello and then reply to this and you should be good I imagine.

• Like 1

Bastards the lot of em..........

Pesky kids!!

I'm in the same boat, this post makes two so I'll just find a few more threads to post in on here to keep things easy.

Like G said, just pop into the Vans thread and post some BS like the rest of us do...

• Like 2

Love it haha, learning my way about here n saw a caption competition thread, would be doing everyone a disservice if I didn't have a crack at that lol

• Like 2

Insulting Chubb works quite well as a means of getting your post count up. That's probably about 97.6% of my output on here.

Edited by doubleg213
  • Like 2

I liked and un-liked that post to show my dislike of that post...

I might be able to curb your behaviour by reminding you that I still posses the Clarkson pic ;)

• Like 1

A hope it doesn't lead to an automatic docking of points but I don't actually have a bad word to say about Chubb from any of the times I've played with him lol

• Like 2

and a Legend is born....

or are you just posting BS to get your post count up? :lol:

Edited by JuniorChubb
  • Like 1

It's definitely BS.

• Like 1

Haha I'll come back to you's on that one when the times are out eh? :D

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Recently joined the forum so I can have a go at these time trials (hopefully I put in some representative times!).
This is my first post and I just saw the post about the anti-spam thing, so now getting my post count up.

Name: Clydicality
Crew: SCR7
Platform: PS4

Edited by Clydicality
  • Like 3