2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming overclocking

DEALUX

There's a full list of components in my sig. I am interested in overclocking my card in order to boost performance a bit in games. Right now I want a more stable 60 FPS in GTA V (it's mostly 60 FPS, but it can go as low as 45 with lots of explosions).

Is it worth it to overclock a GPU? What are the drawbacks? Can my motherboard handle it or do the other components factor in as well? I don't want to f*ck anything up. I know my version of this card supports overclocking but I want to do this right.

Edit: I did a GPU stress test with the three available profiles in OC Guru (Gigabyte utility). Here are the results:

1WAt0HR.png

KaqubGI.png

jOImF42.png

Now I'm wondering, how far can I push it? I'll do a GTA V benchmark later and see if there are any improvements.

Edit: I did a benchmark. I can't see any noticeable improvements with the 1391 Mhz clock speed. The framerate went as low as 43 FPS during the explosions in the benchmark but even in those brief moments it was mostly 50-60 FPS. GPU load is under 80% at all times.

Edited by Kristian.

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | Hifiman Sundara | Fiio K9 Pro

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro

What's your CPU load like? The fact that GPU utilisation sits below 80% suggests there's a bit of a bottleneck somewhere else in your system to me. No noticeable improvement with a ~10% GPU overclock might corroborate that too.

What settings and resolution are you playing at? I get a solid 60fps with only very occasional drops below that with the system in my signature, and that's using a considerably less powerful GPU.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I'm playing in 1080p with these settings:

http://i.imgur.com/JgTzjdj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3vgEowr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pABAYJ1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZIPHls2.jpg

The benchmark is weird. I did it twice and on the last one the frame rate sat between 50-60, mostly 60 FPS. CPU load was under 90% (mostly between 60-90%). GPU load this time went as high as 90% but it was mostly under.

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | Hifiman Sundara | Fiio K9 Pro

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

But, that's obvious that GPU will not fully get utilized when V-Sync is ON. Even I have a 980Ti and play with V-Sync ON. GPU only loads itself to that extent where it is able to give you smooth 60fps. When I turn V-Sync off the utilization reaches to 99% in most cases where it is able to gives as many frames as it can render.

Also, why are you playing with this low settings. I have turned everything to highest possible with grass to "Very High", FXAA "Off", Frame Scaling "Off" and still get 60 fps and around 50 in grass areas.

Internet is also one of the factors that affects my gameplay when playing online. I would suggest to check your NAT type if you are playing online. Even for me their are certain fps drops when I play special RPG matches where everyone havocs the place with explosions.

I'm not playing online yet since my ISP sucks. I'm probably switching to 300-1000 megabit this month.

I don't care about frame rates higher than 60 because then it would be all over the place and almost unplayable (also, I have a 60 Hz display). If I max out the settings then the frame rate can go as low as 40 (it can briefly go even below that), especially if the soft shadows are set to something like Softest or nVidia PCSS (which looks f*cking amazing by the way) and I am in an area with lots of grass.

Edit: With max settings the GPU load did go up as far as 98% regardless of v-sync being on or off. It's not playable. I don't know how you are able to stay in the 50s and 60s like that. Mine goes between 30 and 60 in grassy areas with a core clock of 1391.

Edit 2: You said grass is on Very High. What is the soft shadows setting set to? nVidia PCSS is the most taxing option there I think. If you enable High Resolution Shadows in the Advanced Graphics tab it will further slow you down.

Edited by Kristian.

The Audiophile Thread