1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Nihilanth1982

Does anyone here get videogame 'burnout'?

HaythamKenway

I've had one during the winter. Barely touched any of the consoles I have, but I've slipped back in in the last few weeks. It comes and goes, sometimes I just have to get gaming out of my system. I don't have enough time nowadays either, so I have to be picky when it comes to choosing what to do with it. When I remember that just five years ago I was able to burn through expansive games in weeks' time or spend whole afternoons and evenings on my favorite TF2 server... whew.

A bigger burnout was from circa 2012 to the last year. A line of disappointing releases, starting with Battlefield 3 and ending with GTA V (though it's funny how I turned around and eventually ended up loving two of them - AC III and Halo 4) just completely soured my enjoyment of the hobby as a whole. For a while, I just wasn't satisfied with most of the games I played, as they just kept failing to live up to my expectations. They became tiring and the industry as a whole was making one bad move after another. I turned negative, pessimistic.

It finally broke last year, with the purchase of the Xbone and 3DS, but I was warming back up for quite some time beforehand. That was more of a culmination of the whole process. I think the most important thing was just to change my approach. I stopped caring about the backstage schemes, dwelling on what I didn't like and getting unhealthily hyped for upcoming titles. I take them as they are, gaming is supposed to be an entertainment after all, and when I turned the whole hobby into a drama, I just ruined it for myself. It wasn't worth it. And sure, I still complain and whine, but I just don't let it impact what I do enjoy about gaming right now. I think the burnout has taught me to separate the two better.

And being unable to put in so many hours into gaming, period, probably really helped too, now that I think about it.

Edited by HaythamKenway

Dan_1983

I haven't played any video game since October of last year. I do get that now and then where I game a lot and then take an unplanned break.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

well....i see me as what i call a binge gamer

i go crazzy about a game for months....and afterwards....i will leave the game for months or for ever

Alice R Razi

Does Your Work Stress just seems endless and you are losing your life to it? According to the World Health Organization, Work Stress could lead to burnout. Here is the burnout checklist, read about the common symptoms and factors of work burnout and how to recover from burnout. According to WHO (World Health Organization), Burnout is a work-related phenomenon rather than a medical phenomenon. WHO released a burnout checklist which attaches it to Work or Job-related stress. 

Syrens

When I was a kid, no, basically never, but I did hit like a 6 years hiatus on gaming, just life got ontop of me and I couldn't see the point in gaming my adult life away.  But now when I play a game, I usually give it a maximum of 2 hours before I hit a wall, I just can't play long sessions anymore, I get headaches, and my eyes hurt, I feel dizzy and all sorts.  So it's certainly helped avoid the burnout I guess.

Billy Russo

All the time, actually.

I have to take days away from games to make myself feel the urge again. I blame it on becoming an Adult. I have a lot more things to worry about now, and sometimes I can't just can't bothered. I feel like I've basically played everything at this point. It's why I edge towards playing more nostalgic and familiar titles, as I know they are good.

SonOfLiberty

I don't get "burnout" necessarily, but I have a habit of buying videogames and never finishing them lol. The amount of games I've bought over the last couple of years has been insane. I reckon 50 or more across both my PS4 and XB1, but the number I've finished is very low.

Mostly I just buy on impulse because I'm tempted by a sale or something on the storefronts. Of course priorities change as you get older and I rarely play for long stints anymore.... well besides when RDR2 launched. That was the last game I played for more than 4 hours straight because I waited 8 years for it.

However in saying that it's kind of a weird feeling to think of the day I just say "f*ck it" and get rid of all my gaming things for good. I'll be 40 in 7 years so I've been pretty much gaming the majority of my life. It's been a pretty significant chunk so I don't know what'll happen when it's over some day or atleast imagine life when I'm not gaming in some fashion.

CanadianMuscle

I recently noticed i've been losing interest in certain aspects of gaming, very slowly, but even with everything I have to attend to IRL nowadays, I need to treat it as more of an "unwinding" activity rather than being an enthusiast of it as I once was.

LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy

I too, thought this thread was about Burnout.  Fun game.

I’ve been burnt out on video games for over 10 years now.  Call of Duty: 4 and GTA IV were I’d say the last games I spent copious amounts of time on. ... It’s just that nothing really interests me any more. I literally pretty much just play GTA, Call of Duty sometimes, and PUBG.  If it’s not any of that, I can’t be bothered to even put a disc in.

Billy Russo
7 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

I don't get "burnout" necessarily, but I have a habit of buying videogames and never finishing them lol. The amount of games I've bought over the last couple of years has been insane. I reckon 50 or more across both my PS4 and XB1, but the number I've finished is very low.

Mostly I just buy on impulse because I'm tempted by a sale or something on the storefronts. Of course priorities change as you get older and I rarely play for long stints anymore.... well besides when RDR2 launched. That was the last game I played for more than 4 hours straight because I waited 8 years for it.

However in saying that it's kind of a weird feeling to think of the day I just say "f*ck it" and get rid of all my gaming things for good. I'll be 40 in 7 years so I've been pretty much gaming the majority of my life. It's been a pretty significant chunk so I don't know what'll happen when it's over some day or atleast imagine life when I'm not gaming in some fashion.

I don't think I'd ever just flat out sell all of my gaming stuff, even if I was super burnt out. There is too much money invested in to my PS4 in particular, my library has hundreds of pounds worth of digital games. 

If anything, I think I'd just pass it on if I ever get a kid or whatever.

LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Billy Russo said:

I don't think I'd ever just flat out sell all of my gaming stuff, even if I was super burnt out. There is too much money invested in to my PS4 in particular, my library has hundreds of pounds worth of digital games. 

If anything, I think I'd just pass it on if I ever get a kid or whatever.

This^^^

In 7 years you’ll be 40 bro? 7 years? That’s a long ways from now, and, that means you’re 33 now.  If you haven’t had the bug to throw it all out already, then you won’t ever have it.

My parents still have their Atari “video game” console.. with the Tetris cartridge still operable ! I’m close to your age, so you can guess how old they are.  

Sure, there’ll come a time when you’re completely jaded.  You might be already... but that just means playing less — as it does for me.  Like I said, I’ve been burnt on games for about a decade, but still play; and will continue to play.  We’re already adults..it’s not like in a few years we gonna be “too old” to play lol.. can’t imagine waking up and pitching the PS4 out the window

Edited by LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy

Goldn-Bayse

I recently went through a video game burnout in May. I had nothing to play despite having several games in my backlog. I eventually went through them because they were short. Though these days I've noticed I drop games more frequently or stop playing them after the first hour and don't bother revisiting them for a few months. That said I've finally got some games to play now without feeling burnt out or dropping them.

DarksunDaFirst

Sometimes, but it's more often than not about a certain type of game rather than gaming in general.

I can only take about 6 months of Call of Duty, than I need a rest for about 3 years.
I played the hell out of Fallout 4 - couldn't bring myself to buy 76 because....
I played the hell out of Skyrim - bought ESO and was quickly burned out by it.

GTA:O I had to take several breaks, usually coming back a week before an update.  After a while when stuff really became obscenely OPowered & OPriced did I just not give a f*ck anymore.
RDR: O was getting close for a while and they're not quite there yet.  But if some decent PvE stuff doesn't get released soon...ugh.

Sports games - I usually only play 1 at a time, and I rotate which ones I do.  Right now I'm on basketball with NBA 2K Playgrounds 2.  4 years ago I had MLB '14.  3 years before that NHL '12.  Haven't played Madden since 2007 or 2008.

Zombie games?  Not really my thing but a good game will keep me on for a while.  TLOU (remastered) was the last good one for me.

Billy Russo

I always experience it around this time of year. I'll be burnt out after this weekend until like later in the year. I always see all the new games at E3 and I'm always like "Oh." because I realise I have to wait. That is painful.