3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Can't find a satisfying AA method?

Jaffi

Hi,

I am playing the game on a 390X @1920x1080 resolution, all settings on "very high" and I can't seem to find a good AA method. I tried:

-AMD VSR: Bit blurry image, but it is ok. Still would need FXAA though and that's just too much blur

-Ingame resolution scaling x1.5: No blur (if that's possible at all), looks very good, eats too much FPS though in Sandy Shore since it scales higher than 1440p. Also messes up routes on minimap somehow.

-MSAA x4: Imho looks the best, least jaggies, but it eats too much performance in grassy areas, also some grass disappears when msaa is enabled (wtf?), I don't want FPS to drop below 50

So is there anything else I could try?

Edited by Jaffi

Misunderstood

I use 2x and FXAA at 1080p. Looks nice and doesnt hit my performance too much.

Like others said, you can have 2x MSAA at 1080p. However, try to drive to the bad lands and the FPS goes from bad to worst.

The game is so poorly coded, it MSAA'ed every single grass you can see. If R* would optimize the game so that the grass won't be anti-aliased,

it would have very great. But no, R* decided to apply MSAA on every single grass, to bring even the most high-end GPU on its knees.

Like others said, you can have 2x MSAA at 1080p. However, try to drive to the bad lands and the FPS goes from bad to worst.

The game is so poorly coded, it MSAA'ed every single grass you can see. If R* would optimize the game so that the grass won't be anti-aliased,

it would have very great. But no, R* decided to apply MSAA on every single grass, to bring even the most high-end GPU on its knees.

That's not how anti aliasing works. I doubt there is any game in existence that does that.

If you want anti aliasing try to reduce Vegetation (High is a must but Normal will do if your card can't handle it) and Shadow quality (especially soft shadows). I had to compromise vegetation and shadows even on my 980 Ti to get a somewhat stable 60 FPS framerate in 1080p.

Edit: You need a Crossfire\SLI config to run GTA V at 60 FPS with the highest settings even in 1080p.

Edited by Kristian.

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | AKG K612 Pro | Etymotic ER3XR

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3

Kristian,

By vegetations you mean particle effects?

Can you share your settings? Text or image

Thanks

VanossGaming

Maybe they wanted to keep the game alive? That might be partially the reason, but I think they wanted to see how each gen did, and when it did well, they released the second gen a year later. I'm sorry if I'm confusing you xD

Kristian,

By vegetations you mean particle effects?

Can you share your settings? Text or image

Thanks

I meant Grass Quality.

http://i.imgur.com/JgTzjdj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3vgEowr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pABAYJ1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZIPHls2.jpg

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | AKG K612 Pro | Etymotic ER3XR

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Thanks Kristian!

The weird thing is that with exact same settings on my system (4790K and GTX980 G1) game reports 3GB+ in VRAM (higher than what it shows in your image). MSI AB in game reports 3.5GB+ most of the time.

What further helps your 980ti(besides better cores and shaders) is the extra 2GB VRAM it has(more than 980 and 970).

Edited by mahanddeem

Are you also playing in 1080p? I think it's that low for me because of reducing the shadow quality (not just the soft shadow setting, but the other one as well). 6 GB is more suitable for 1440p and above but there's no way you can run the game at high resolutions while also maxing out the details on a single card.

The video memory counter in the settings there is just an approximation. It's likely higher in most situations.

The Audiophile Thread

The only solution with this game is to go above 1080p.

Run it at 2k(2560x1440) + 2xMSAA and you'll notice a huge difference,this game at 1080p even with 4xMSAA is still jagged as f*ck.

Edited by _MK_

It looks alright to me. I purposely bought a 1080p monitor because I want to be able to play games at max (or near max) settings and preferably 60 FPS for the next 2-3 years.

The Audiophile Thread

That's not how anti aliasing works. I doubt there is any game in existence that does that.

If you want anti aliasing try to reduce Vegetation (High is a must but Normal will do if your card can't handle it) and Shadow quality (especially soft shadows). I had to compromise vegetation and shadows even on my 980 Ti to get a somewhat stable 60 FPS framerate in 1080p.

Edit: You need a Crossfire\SLI config to run GTA V at 60 FPS with the highest settings even in 1080p.

Yes, and that's why I turned off MSAA to have a steady 60FPS while the Grass settings is on High.

And I also bought a 1080p monitor on purpose to play games on 1080p60 on max/vh settings the next 2-3 years.

However, I also bought this monitor because of its great blacks and contrast.

Yeah. I have a medium to low quality IPS monitor and there's noticeable gradient banding and backlight bleeding on it. If you care about image quality you should definitely not be cheap when it comes to monitors (for a 1080p display you should spend upwards of $300; I got mine for a little under $200).

The Audiophile Thread

I agree with that all AA types are not perfect. MSAA 4x is the better one but still not enough for the game to look good (I play @1080p 144hz). Tried DSR 2K and 4K but it introduced input lag for me (with all v sync on off and half combinations and hoops and loops).

Game defiantly can use more optimization but R* at this point got their money worth of the game and I doubt they would work more toward enhancing performance.

I'm not sure MSAA makes everything more smooth (instead, I think it makes everything worse) and not sure it is an AA at all. Look at my screens I''ve made yesterday.

MSAA x2:

bbvOMXL.jpg

MSAA off:

ZwT75VO.jpg

MSAA x2 (look at the bridge):

jzTfmCt.jpg

MSAA off:

xKVckiQ.jpg

Edited by Sonny3787

I got much better result by setting DSR to x2.0, but it dropped my FPS badly, so I guess I will be playing it using current settings until I buy a new video card

poland stronk

Frame scaling is the best option. Shame you can't decide how huge image you want to downscale but instead have to deal with fractions. If you struggle with FPS then reduce things like Tesselation. I have it on medium because high and very high have no difference even when wall-licking palm trees but take huge fps hit. Also Grass Quality actually is all about shadow simulation, if you have grass visible then the game only improves lighting with each better option.

Edited by poland stronk

Best one I found is MSAAx2 + MFAA. This applies to Nvidia though, unfortunately. I don't know if there is an MFAA equivalent for AMD.

Best one I found is MSAAx2 + MFAA. This applies to Nvidia though, unfortunately. I don't know if there is an MFAA equivalent for AMD.

MFAA+MSAA 2X is inferior to MSAA 4X. MFAA introduces glitches in shadow and blurring the image overall.

Yup one of the most frustrating things about GTAV is the AA. I played around with different AA settings for ages at 1080p with varying results. Trouble is GTAV is such a huge & varied environment, ie one set of settings would look good in one part of the city & not in another or cause to much FPS drop.

Since I upgraded to a 1440p monitor though AA is much less of an issue & running x2msaa+txaa works very well over the entire city with not to many performance drops at 1440p.

I think as resolutions get higher the need for AA will be less which is good.

I also think quite a few games suffer with bad AA especially open world games.

Edited by lysander

What about SMAA? It looks nice without much performance loss.

SMAA requires using Sweetfx (Reshade), which makes you under risk of ban from R*

Plus it's inferior to MSAA no doubt. Tried it once before with disappointing results.

Edited by mahanddeem

southparkmayor

SMAA requires using Sweetfx (Reshade), which makes you under risk of ban from R*

Plus it's inferior to MSAA no doubt. Tried it once before with disappointing results.

Do you know how to use SweetFX for just the SMAA? I dont want it to mess up my colors or contrast.

Do you know how to use SweetFX for just the SMAA? I dont want it to mess up my colors or contrast.

Sure you can. You can use whatever you want by changing 1 or 0 in settings txt file

See here, Google is your friend :

https://www.google.com/search?q=gta+v+reshade&oq=gta+v+reshade&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.5821j0j4&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

On a side note, with 1080p and EVERY setting on HIGHEST(even grass on ultra ) minus MSAA and advanced menu, my 4790K and 980 g1 can pull anywhere from 80 to 140 fps!

Any MSAA value definitely does not deserve that huge fps impact(dips to 30s). I was under the impression that recent game build/nvidia drivers messed up game performance but no, it's because I didn't try the game without any form of aa for months now.