4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

m8son

BigBoyBertram
6 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

Metro Exodus' gameplay sucks. The graphics were updated, but the controls still feel like they're from around 2010. The sound design is also outdated that everything is either too loud (had to turn down the volume around halfway!!!!!) or too quiet. The mixing is also awful and most sounds are pre-mixed that they end up sounding fake.

Bro you've practically declared war against the Metro Franchise at this point. I love it lol

1 hour ago, Jason said:

TW3 is repetitive. There are huge aspects of the game that are very formulaic and aged poorly (some very quickly tbh) - UI (inventory), gear/loot design, general progression, open world side content, contract quests.

What set TW3 apart and what made it such an important and influential game was the quality of the story, the side stories and the overall scale of the story. Side quests in particular were an area TW3 revolutionised really, as in open world RPG's side quests were basically glorified fetch quests and nothing more - in some games they're still that - but in TW3 they were these massive really good stories that in many cases genuinely mattered in the long run.

Take away the technical issues the game has had and Cyberpunk has many of the same problems. Outdated gear/loot design, outdated skill tree, outdated progression in general, repetitive open world side content (albeit in a variety of locations/interiors and each with their own text story). But despite that, the main story and the side stories are as good as any game out there.

It's one of the main genuine sources of Cyberpunk's criticism for me. Again take away the technical stuff and missing features, Cyberpunk's biggest disappointment is probably that it didn't push the genre to new places like TW3 did. It was just more of the same, which is not at all a bad thing if it does it well but with Cyberpunk everyone, led on by CDPR's talk pre-release, really thought the game would be the next big step in open world RPG's and while I personally think it's a great game despite it's flaws I can also admit that it did diddly squat for the RPG genre. If I were to reach I'd say it may inspire more first person open world RPG's but given how controversial of a decision that was (for various reasons, none of them outright bad) I doubt any other dev will be willing to take that risk as they didn't have the leeway CDPR did pre-Cyberpunk's launch.

Good points. I'll even go a step forward and say that CDPR open worlds are very weak, at least among the AAA development scene. Their worlds may be visually impressive and have some great atmosphere, but the content is, as you say, very repetitive and arguably Ubisoft tier in a lot of areas. The worlds are shallow and offer next to no interactivity. IF it wasn't for some of the genuinely impressive side quests, I honestly would prefer they stick to linear games, that's how little I think of their overall open worlds. Hell, I feel right now that Cyberpunk 2077 should have been a linear, more focused experience, or at least something akin to Mafia I or II. Let the characters and dialogue shine instead of forcing them into positions where they may not thrive.

Edited by BigBoyBertram

1 minute ago, BigBoyBertram said:

Their worlds may be visually impressive and have some great atmosphere, but the content is, as you say, very repetitive and arguably Ubisoft tier in a lot of areas.

Not wholly inaccurate but a little unfair IMO. Ubi very slightly improved on their worlds with Valhalla and it's mini events but for the most part their open worlds are lifeless. Pretty and good representations of their setting (they do that well), but they're not interactive and there is very little in the way of story telling.

CDPR, especially with Cyberpunk (TW3 less so, but it was there) did tell stories with their open world. All of the open world side content (gigs etc) had their own story which gave you context for what you were doing (beyond clear/kill X for loot) and there's also a lot of secrets to be found, often in little thought out scenes with a little mini story to go with it. It's small stuff but Cyberpunk's world has life and stories to it, which is part of what really makes an open world special, it's just as you and I my self have said many times, you can't really interact with it... like, at all. Can't interact with the million food stalls, can't go to bars and order drinks, can't do off the cuff stuff with side characters, can't play the arcades (except 1 which they just added), can't interact with NPC's. You also can't make a meaningful place for your self in the world, they did finally add apartments but you can't customise them, you can't customise vehicles, this in combination with the other stuff means you can't just take a step back from the story and go off and live in the world.

R* do that well, being able to just go off and live in the world and do random stuff. Bethesda also does this very well, their worlds are really interactive with damn near everything being physical - going into a crypt in Skyrim for example and actually physically looking around all the tombs, urns, bookcases, etc for loot physically hidden away in and around them.

But yea, this is an area CDPR haven't ever really nailed. TW3 didn't really "suffer" from it cause it was 2015 and was special in it's own way back then, but the expectations around Cyberpunk were just massive (again, CDPR fuelled this, so it's not entirely on the players) and yea, in the end it just didn't push forward the genre - or CDPR's own open world RPG design - in any shape or form.

• Like 1

My main problem with TW3 is the clunky controls and UI. Wanna fast travel? Here's a candle/lamp you have to ignite. Oh, so you love hoarding? Here are the thousands of resources/potions/food you've collected on your playthrough.

I hope they got rid of the UI lag for hoarders like me.

• Like 2

One of the best mods I installed was an inventory mod that added labels to every item, lol. It made using poisons in particular actually something I wanted to do where as before I had to spend an embarrassing amount of time going through each poison one by one to find the one I was looking for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

One of the best mods I installed was an inventory mod that added labels to every item, lol. It made using poisons in particular actually something I wanted to do where as before I had to spend an embarrassing amount of time going through each poison one by one to find the one I was looking for.

I only ever use four decoctions for my Euphoria build. Some potions are for emergencies only like the one for health. I'd greatly appreciate it if there was a way to hide or put them in storage.

This is a pipe dream, but I hope there's an inventory management like the weapon/item wheel from RDR2.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

There's a similar set of mods for FO4 which utterly revolutionises the Pip-Boy menu.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Just now, sivispacem said:

There's a similar set of mods for FO4 which utterly revolutionises the Pip-Boy menu.

Aye, I think I had that one in my FO4 PC run too. Skyrim also has UI mods that improve the game a lot, even some mods that allow stuff like hotswapping spells on the fly w/o having to use the favourites menu.