2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

What do you think would happen if Ryder didn't betray the Families

Rose.Quartz

I always think about this because Ryder was always my favorite out of the 4 (CJ, Sweet, Big Smoke, and Ryder) even though Ryder was a jerk to CJ. What if he didn't betray them and only Big Smoke did?

Edited by Eleed

i have been thinking that actually too! I think there would be f'ing great team fight against smoke

Nothing.

Ryder is only useful in the game for allegedly finding sources of Weapons, which nobody seems to ever get.

Ryder is "chrome" for the game, and NPC to add flavour and personality.

Nothing more.

The "Betrayal" is fiction. (As is the whole story, by the way.)

The NPC Ryder is presumed to be a lackey of Big Smoke, liked his drugs and lived for them. He followed BS and that is all there is to it.

Edited by lil weasel

I think Ryder would instead be with Sweet during the Green Sabre mission after Cesar exposes Smoke's betrayal to CJ and when CJ goes on to warn Sweet about this, Ryder would be by Sweet's side chastising CJ for not being here sooner. Then while Sweet is taken to the prison hospital, CJ and Ryder would both be in exile in the Badlands and Ryder would probably blame everything that happened on CJ for leaving LS five years ago, eliciting a physical altercation between the two right before CJ finally tells Ryder to end it. After that Ryder would probably smoke his last joint, give up the water for good this time, and work alongside CJ in the Badlands and continue their job in San Fierro along with Cesar after obtaining the garage.

Either that or C.R.A.S.H. would probably kidnap Ryder and take him to rehab.

Edited by Luke27
  • Like 2

Probably Tenpenny would've kidnapped Ryder and killed him because it would've been easier for them to only deal only with CJ and Sweet.

I think Ryder would instead be with Sweet during the Green Sabre mission after Cesar exposes Smoke's betrayal to CJ and when CJ goes on to warn Sweet about this, Ryder would be by Sweet's side chastising CJ for not being here sooner. Then while Sweet is taken to the prison hospital, CJ and Ryder would both be in exile in the Badlands and Ryder would probably blame everything that happened on CJ for leaving LS five years ago, eliciting a physical altercation between the two right before CJ finally tells Ryder to end it. After that Ryder would probably smoke his last joint, give up the water for good this time, and work alongside CJ in the Badlands and continue their job in San Fierro along with Cesar after obtaining the garage.

Dude, this is great! I wish we could have something like that in GTA:SA.

I know people are complaining: "Why even bother about Ryder? He hates CJ" but I agree this is a love&hate relationship with a lot of funny situations and insults from both sides. And the fact that Ryder who seems to be the betrayer from beginning turns out to be on Sweet's and GSF's side for whole time would be awesome!

I see Ryder keep b!tching on CJ because they got caught by C.R.A.S.H "It's your fault! Busta! sh*t, what now?" :D

And later working on getting cars, helping in LV and bank robbery. And of course more funny quotes in more Ryder missions he would appear in!

Edited by Jacek_K

I always kind of liked Ryder and even Big Smoke, for that matter. When I played the game for the first time, I was disappointed that they betrayed CJ. I really enjoyed their dialog in the early parts of the game.

• Like 1

Ryder was the 'diplomat' of Big Smoke to Loco Syndicate, indicating that he found out about their operations and told Big Smoke and Tenpenny about it. So Big Smoke wouldn't have made it 'big' without Ryder.

If Ryder didn't pair with Big Smoke, he would have most likely died in the Mulholland Intersection shoot-out, or arrested and killed by Tenpenny afterwards. You should remember that Tenpenny kept CJ alive so that he could do his dirty work for him, and kept Sweet alive as a bargain chip. He could always threaten CJ to do his work by using Sweet. CJ didn't care about Ryder that much, and he was pretty much useless for Tenpenny, so I guess Tenpenny could try to make him join with Big Smoke or kill him.

Don't post spoilers in the thread title pls.

Everyone who has played gta knows these little things and those who still don't know are noobs who live for gta 5 and don't even care!

Well, he'd help CJ and Sweet when CJ's back in LS, when you take back teritories and stuff, and gone with you to kill smoke :D

I think Ryder would of either gotten killed or kidnapped and then probably killed unless CJ decides to save him. He is one of CJ's childhood friends so there is a chance he would save him.

Henry Hernandez

Regardless of what anybody else would believe, I doubt CJ would be apathetic about Ryder if the latter didn't betray him. I mean sure Ryder was a bit of a jerk to CJ, but he was still his homie, and I think if C.R.A.S.H. ever did kidnap Ryder, CJ would convince them to let his homie live and instead of having Ryder killed, C.R.A.S.H. would put him in rehab due to all the weed he smoked while CJ was in exile in deference to CJ and Ryder would be clean by the time CJ gets to SF and would work with CJ and Cesar there.

SpyzBackstab

I also loved Ryder but i think Rockstar made the decision for him to betray GSF late in development.

I would rather see Ryder killed by Smoke's goons when CJ comes back to LS that gives even more reason for CJ and Sweet to look for him making the game even more emotional.

Instead we got a sh*t death for one of the most loved characters in GTA..

I always saw Ryder as a fool. Even if he didn't betray CJ would have anyways killed him for his increasing drug use getting beyond control.

This miserable fool was born to die.

Naw, CJ wouldn't kill his homie for nothing like that. If Ryder didn't betray CJ, he would most likely be held captive by CR.A.S.H. and CJ would give them an excuse to keep Ryder alive. Instead of jailing Ryder along with Sweet, C.R.A.S.H. might probably put Ryder in rehab in Las Ventures from all the weed he's been smoking and CJ would finally meet Ryder there and the two would do missions in Las Ventures in a similar fashion as CJ and Cesar did in San Fierro. I truly believe Rockstar didn't plan to have Ryder betray the families and just though of it the last second.

he'd probably frazzle his brain from all the pcp and be admitted to a psych ward

EqqGXy2.gif

Someone says that Ryder was unuseful. Who help cj in early missions with ballas, huh. Cleaning the hood is the best example sweet and smoke talk a lot but do nothing compare to pcp guy who finds Bear and have conections with scums (dealers) and useful people like LB which can be pretty useful.

Also he knew about green sabre and wanted to make reakcjon on sweet but nothing happend. Damn, I firstly thought that sweet is a traitor. Seriously.

But what would happend? Sweet will probably died. In green sabre or after relase from prinson. Ryder could inform us about yay leaving San Fierro and help us with selling this which will be more realstic kuz he have know-how in that job. He can even dismantle Vietnam gang consition all members and help us take their turf alongside with Triads.

Also he could kill Tempenny by sniper shoot in high-noon.

Finally he could help us to kill Bs on his "mansion" rooftop.

Cj: So this is the ending

R:Yep

Cj:So what we do now

R:I don't know men, I don't know.

Official General

I always kind of liked Ryder and even Big Smoke, for that matter. When I played the game for the first time, I was disappointed that they betrayed CJ. I really enjoyed their dialog in the early parts of the game.

Yeah same here, but for me especially Ryder, I really liked him. Believe it or not, I actually felt very bad about killing him despite his betrayal, which really disappointed me at the same time. I just wish I didn't have to kill him though. But it makes sense for Ryder to die regardless, his betrayal meant that there was no way the story could allow him to live - every classic story where a character commits treachery always ends in tragedy.

I think there should have been an alternative, more complex end for Ryder, rather than CJ straightforwardly simply killing him out of sheer vengeance, because CJ does that to Big Smoke anyway. What should have happened after the Pier mission is that CJ chases Ryder down, shoots him, but only wounds him and not kills him. CJ takes pity on him and convinces him to switch sides again back to join him and Sweet and the rest of Grove Street, and together they hatch a plan to take down Big Smoke, the main architect of the betrayal. Ryder then pretends to still be Big Smoke's right hand man, but agrees to secretly help CJ out on some missions to take down Big Smoke, but Big Smoke finds out, lures Ryder into a trap and then kills him. Big Smoke then calls up CJ on the phone to taunt him that is secret plan didn't work and that he don't wanna kill him like he did with Ryder, but if he tries again, this time he will kill him. CJ gets really mad and becomes more determined than ever to kill Big Smoke. That would have been so interesting.

Still liked it as it is though !!

Edited by Official General
  • Like 1

Yeah same here, but for me especially Ryder, I really liked him. Believe it or not, I actually felt very bad about killing him despite his betrayal, which really disappointed me at the same time. I just wish I didn't have to kill him though. But it makes sense for Ryder to die regardless, his betrayal meant that there was no way the story could allow him to live - every classic story where a character commits treachery always ends in tragedy.

I think there should have been an alternative, more complex end for Ryder, rather than CJ straightforwardly simply killing him out of sheer vengeance, because CJ does that to Big Smoke anyway. What should have happened after the Pier mission is that CJ chases Ryder down, shoots him, but only wounds him and not kills him. CJ takes pity on him and convinces him to switch sides again back to join him and Sweet and the rest of Grove Street, and together they hatch a plan to take down Big Smoke, the main architect of the betrayal. Ryder then pretends to still be Big Smoke's right hand man, but agrees to secretly help CJ out on some missions to take down Big Smoke, but Big Smoke finds out, lures Ryder into a trap and then kills him. Big Smoke then calls up CJ on the phone to taunt him that is secret plan didn't work and that he don't wanna kill him like he did with Ryder, but if he tries again, this time he will kill him. CJ gets really mad and becomes more determined than ever to kill Big Smoke. That would have been so interesting.

Yeah that's a pretty good idea. Another plotline could have been like CJ and Ryder working together in SF and even in some parts of LV. At the end both of them could have taken Smoke out together. Then the irritating guy would've turned out to be the good guy.

• Like 1

Yeah that's a pretty good idea. Another plotline could have been like CJ and Ryder working together in SF and even in some parts of LV. At the end both of them could have taken Smoke out together. Then the irritating guy would've turned out to be the good guy. Agreed, except I actually think only CJ and Cesar should work together in SF while CJ works along with Ryder in LV in a similar fashion after the latter is out of rehab. Just imagine the antics CJ and Ryder when they collaborate on their missions. They would be just like Dan and Chris from Dan vs. It would be funny as hell. lol
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...