The Gaming Chat Café

Hit by Lightning

I do wonder how many of these handhelds are just the same sh*t underneath with a different case and screen. They all seem to have the same underlying issues, anywho.

SteamDeck OLED remains the most attractive one as far as I've seen, even despite the fact it's not got the horsepower of the newer ones - it still outpeforms many though, cause of SteamOS and better opimisation/features/software. SteamDeck 2 will like wipe the floor with them all, as it'll probably be another custom APU again. Microsoft's may be interesting, cause you'd think they'd have that pull to get a custom APU too, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I'm not really into the whole handheld market, but don't they all tend to have piss poor battery life? 

2 minutes ago, lndex said:

I'm not really into the whole handheld market, but don't they all tend to have piss poor battery life? 

Depends on the game, but yea. It's why the SteamDeck is so good as it has a really good balance of power and battery life, most of the rest run on thirsty AMD or Intel chips that are basically off the shelf parts.

Failed Again

I don't think I will ever get one..

Maybe if MS releases something Good.

ha🍀

Gettin up
On 6/12/2024 at 1:13 PM, Jason said:

It's an Epic published game, it'll probably never come to Steam. They're most likely willing to cannibalise their PC sales just to keep it an EGS exclusive.

Are you saying that EGS has Remedy by the balls now?

Original Alan Wake Steam release took like 1 year 9 months to arrive on Steam.

Control Steam release was exactly 1 year later.

6 hours ago, Gettin up said:

Are you saying that EGS has Remedy by the balls now?

Original Alan Wake Steam release took like 1 year 9 months to arrive on Steam.

Control Steam release was exactly 1 year later.

Control was published by 505, AW1 by Microsoft.

Alan Wake 2 was funded for and published by Epic Games.

Epic don't have Remedy by the balls, but they do have AW2 by the balls, unless Remedy worked in some 1 year later Steam deal which is very TBD cause Epic don't typically do that.

Cluckin Bell CEO
12 hours ago, AudaxTenebra said:

Ubisoft games were also called stuff like pepperoni, etc. Afaik there's no Ezio game in production. Only Shadows, Hexe and Infinity (which is CoD HQ for AC) and the MP one. Jade is shelved cuz China and Tencent

Isn't there a black flag remake also in development? some people also saying AC 1 is getting a remake too

I've just been thinking there, and if I've got the dates right, Black Myth, SW: Outlaws, Stalker 2, and SM2 will all be released a week or so after each other. Absolute megaaaa couple of weeks for games then. Luckily, there's day 1 GP on atleast one of them lol.

Hammerfist11
5 minutes ago, Cluckin Bell CEO said:

Isn't there a black flag remake also in development? some people also saying AC 1 is getting a remake too

its modern ubisoft, idk why people are looking forward to anything they make. They haven't made a good game for over a decade now. 

9 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

its modern ubisoft, idk why people are looking forward to anything they make. They haven't made a good game for over a decade now. 

They've made several, but it's best to look at their games as comfort food, especially their open world stuff. Nothing groundbreaking but easy to jump into and have fun with. That being said, AC Odyssey was one of the best open world ARPG's last gen, it's just not a good AC game (like all their AC RPG games).

• Like 1

Only Outlaws for me in that list (I assume you mean GoW:R and not SM2), but I will be playing GoW:R at some point, probably when I have a quiet period. TDU3 and (rumoured to be) Starfield DLC in September too, though I'll probably be skipping TDU3 at launch to avoid server issues, and it'll need performance improvements before I buy it I think.

November could be very busy for me, Avowed (rumoured 12th), Shadows and we'll see where DA4 ends up, Oct or November you'd think for that. Diablo IV expansion in October as well. Gonna be a nice few months for games with at least one or two games every month for me... expensive too lol.

Yeah, I completely forgot about the GoW:R release, but yes, Space Marine 2 being a September 9th release date?

TDU3 is a massive question mark for me at the moment. I've not even had an interest in trying the demo yet lol.

Oooh Space Marine 2, my brain frazzled and I thought you meant Spider-Man 2 instead of GoW:R. :lol:

I like the look of SM2 but not sure it's the type of game I'll wanna play day 1 and put time into... might be a wait for sale/GP game, like Robocop, which I still haven't picked up.

And yea, TDU3 even at 20 quid on CDkeys is a no thanks right now because of the performance for me. I aint playing a game that needs DLSS balanced all on low to somewhat maintain 60fps, I'd rather go download Horizon 4 or 5 and max it out and run it at silky smooth 60fps+. Especially with the amount of games dropping at the end of this year.

Hammerfist11
44 minutes ago, Jason said:

They've made several, but it's best to look at their games as comfort food, especially their open world stuff. Nothing groundbreaking but easy to jump into and have fun with. That being said, AC Odyssey was one of the best open world ARPG's last gen, it's just not a good AC game (like all their AC RPG games).

Yeah that's a reasonable way of looking at them. To each their own, but I would rather replay an older ubi game than play any of the new ones personally... and sony exclusives like ghost of tsushima and days gone do the bloated open world better since they have actual good mechanics and systems which ubisoft haven't had for a decade. Modern ubi games have 2024 graphics with mechanics worse than ps2 games.

AC Odyssey had a good concept but as is common with modern ubisoft games, its severely underbaked, somehow the combat was even jankier and clunkier than origins with no proper animation blending or cinematic values whatsoever, just generic attack animations and generic stagger animations. Ubisoft devs just put 0 effort into their games and are there just for the paycheck really and to push a political agenda unrelated to the game they're making.

Edited by Hammerfist11
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

Yeah that's a reasonable way of looking at them. To each their own, but I would rather replay an older ubi game than play any of the new ones personally... and sony exclusives like ghost of tsushima and days gone do the bloated open world better since they have actual good mechanics and systems which ubisoft haven't had for a decade. Modern ubi games have 2024 graphics with mechanics worse than ps2 games.

Ghost of Tsushima is a really good game but it's open world is pretty and not much else IMO, it has really generic side content and thus a lot of repetition. Days Gone is as generic as they come, and that's I think a large part why the reviews weren't good - it had generic, uninteresting gameplay and the typical Sony open world formula, which is a bad combo.

Most Sony open world games don't have interesting open worlds tbh, they just have great production values and great gameplay, but the content is no better than what you get in a Ubisoft game. That being said, I was impressed by HFW's side content, it's not perfect but it was a huge step up over HZD, way better variety, map progression, etc.

26 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

AC Odyssey had a good concept but as is common with modern ubisoft games, its severely underbaked, somehow the combat was even jankier and clunkier than origins with no proper animation blending or cinematic values whatsoever, just generic attack animations and generic stagger animations.

Opposite for me tbh, Odyssey has the best combat out of the three AC RPG's IMO, it's very much a hack and slash game and while it's not super in depth, there's no mad combos or anything, but when used in combination with your abilities there's quite a lot of freedom, and combined with the loot system it plays and feels like a really solid loot ARPG. The world in that game, while repetitive, is also really good - Ubisoft's open worlds always look good in fairness to them, especially their AC games with their historical settings. Then you've got Kassandra who is one of the best protagonists of that generation and in general one of the best protags Ubisoft have ever done.

31 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

Ubisoft devs just put 0 effort into their games and are there just for the paycheck really and to push a political agenda unrelated to the game they're making.

lol

Ubisoft games are typically limited in ambition because the head honchos have a formulaic approach to game design which they apply to all their teams, it's nothing to do with supposedly pushing political agenda.

This is a publisher whose leaders have been widely reported to be scum of the Earth and you think they're using the company to push political agendas... no lol.

• Like 2

Hammerfist11
40 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ghost of Tsushima is a really good game but it's open world is pretty and not much else IMO, it has really generic side content and thus a lot of repetition. Days Gone is as generic as they come, and that's I think a large part why the reviews weren't good - it had generic, uninteresting gameplay and the typical Sony open world formula, which is a bad combo.

Most Sony open world games don't have interesting open worlds tbh, they just have great production values and great gameplay, but the content is no better than what you get in a Ubisoft game.

In terms of world design and level design i agree but you actually have good mechanics and systems that make the game enjoyable, ubisoft games have mechanics that are horrid.

40 minutes ago, Jason said:

lol

Ubisoft games are typically limited in ambition because the head honchos have a formulaic approach to game design which they apply to all their teams, it's nothing to do with supposedly pushing political agenda.

This is a publisher whose leaders have been widely reported to be scum of the Earth and you think they're using the company to push political agendas... no lol.

I get what you mean but they will push an agenda because they believe it will lead to profit. They are scum and profit is all these people care about, hence the pandering, denuvo implementation, not releasing on steam, since their narrow minded hyper capitalist ass think it will lead to higher profit.

There's also a difference between an underlying political ideology (like most western movies, especially italian ones - and far cry 2 for an example within ubi) which adds depth and meaning behind the themes and story without being preachy, and preachy virtue signaling tokenism crap they want to push in an unrelated game/movie for whatever reason (AC Shadows). 

Edited by Hammerfist11

22 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

In terms of world design and level design i agree but you actually have good mechanics and systems that make the game enjoyable, ubisoft games have mechanics that are horrid.

Oh yea it's the gameplay and visuals that make Sony games really good, but I do think Ubi's mechanics are solid enough. I've said it in other threads, but I never expect a Ubisoft game to be great, just fun, they're typically 8/10's at best.

23 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

I get what you mean but they will push an agenda because they believe it will lead to profit. They are scum and profit is all these people care about, hence the pandering, denuvo implementation, not releasing on steam, since their narrow minded hyper capitalist ass think it will lead to higher profit.

The only agenda Ubisoft push is GaaS. That's what has infested all their games, and to enjoy their games nowadays you have to ignore it as much as possible, because there's really no AAA game of theirs where you can hide from it, even single player. Valhalla was REALLY bad for it, the game had something like a dozen armour sets you could earn in the game at launch, and then several more you could buy on the store day 1, which they've only added to. Now the amount of purchasable sets vs earnable is like 5:1 or something mad, and they're not cosmetic sets, they have stats and unique bonuses. That is some dirty sh*t.

25 minutes ago, Hammerfist11 said:

and preachy virtue signaling tokenism crap they want to push in an unrelated game/movie for whatever reason (AC Shadows). 

I've played a fair few AC games new and old and never once felt the game was forcing anything political or doing any sort of virtue signaling. Not once. GaaS being pushed onto me? I noticed that, but nothing political.

Same with Shadows so far. I see a game with a fictional Japanese shinobi and a samurai based on a real world figure from the time and era. Nothing about that is virtue signaling or token-y. I'd perhaps be more sympathetic to some arguments if we had no games with Japanese samurai in them... but we have a sh*t ton nowadays, which we can probably thank in part to GoT and Sekiro, which both seem to have given studios a lot of confidence in the setting, as seen by the bajillion games with samurai's today lol.

The PS Vita still has the most slick and best design of any handheld device to this day. I hope Sony gives us a Vita 2.

AudaxTenebra
3 hours ago, Hammerfist11 said:

Youre crazy for a 14 years old game bro. Rockstar hasnt released anything in 6 years. All they did is milk GTA Online

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I gave up on GoT because of how empty and boring the world was. Everyone kept hyping that sh*t up and I was like "thats it?". Doesnt help that I religiously would play Doom Eternal every single day. A far superior game imo. I just dont enjoy walking sims. Ubisoft games are fun because they arent ground breaking but also arent walking sims. They are actually unique, which is weird to say. But you can EASILY recognize a Ubisoft game

12 minutes ago, AudaxTenebra said:

Doesnt help that I religiously would play Doom Eternal every single day. A far superior game imo. I just dont enjoy walking sims.

I mean, completely different genres of games right there, lol.

GoT's open world I can get behind cause it's similar to how Ubi do checklist stuff in their worlds. The same goes for RPG elements and crafting.

GoT's open world is a bog standard Sony/Ubi open world, few different types of side content repeated across the map. I do like checklist content in a comfort food type of way but yea, GoT's fun because the visual and art design plus the genuinely great combat. The rest of the game is nothing special, be it stealth, loot/rpg progression or side content.

Ellie-H

oh wow, why was I randomly notified of this topic if I dont recall ever posting here

Under that regard... I have some stuff to comment, specifically about Valve stuff, for now all im gonna say, that new Valve game is actually lots of fun...

15 minutes ago, Ellie-H said:

oh wow, why was I randomly notified of this topic if I dont recall ever posting here

Possibly cause some off-topic stuff got shifted from the Red Dead 1 thread.

• Like 1

Ellie-H
4 minutes ago, lndex said:

Possibly cause some off-topic stuff got shifted from the Red Dead 1 thread.

oooooh right right

12 hours ago, Emmi said:

The PS Vita still has the most slick and best design of any handheld device to this day. I hope Sony gives us a Vita 2.

Have you softmodded yours yet? Got a 256GB MicroSD card in mine and got pretty much everything I want for the Vita on it.

"One day I will think of this as just another job. After all, this is what I do."

3 hours ago, RARusk said:

Have you softmodded yours yet? Got a 256GB MicroSD card in mine and got pretty much everything I want for the Vita on it.

I have no Vita. :(

Now that's one hell of a mess.

It looked like a potential winner, had some good ideas, but they delayed early access (which was supposed to be this summer) indefinitely.

I wouldn't be surprised if under the hood the game was just a mess of technical issues that were out of their resources or capabilities to fix, so they just flat out binned it.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 6/13/2024 at 8:21 PM, Jason said:

I do wonder how many of these handhelds are just the same sh*t underneath with a different case and screen. They all seem to have the same underlying issues, anywho.

SteamDeck OLED remains the most attractive one as far as I've seen, even despite the fact it's not got the horsepower of the newer ones - it still outpeforms many though, cause of SteamOS and better opimisation/features/software. SteamDeck 2 will like wipe the floor with them all, as it'll probably be another custom APU again. Microsoft's may be interesting, cause you'd think they'd have that pull to get a custom APU too, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I must have spent like a month literally just watching Youtube and browsing the web when it came to wanting a new handheld, and only at the last second did I decide to go for the ROG Ally over the SD Oled, think mainly because, as much as I despise the new OS, it would feel so familiar having a device with Windows on it. Part of me regrets my choice, but also loves my choice. It's a powerful and decent handheld, comfortable too for long periods of play, but as said it's let down by it having Windows 11 on it. Safe to say, what I've so far actually used my Ally for, I should have just gone for the SD, since I don't think I've actually purchased any 'modern' titles on it. Safe to say I've gone nowhere near the SD Card slot on my Ally...

Microsoft/Xbox would be wise to avoid what the Portal did, and make it so you can actually install your owned digital games to the device, as well as making games dedicated to the system.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:32 PM, lndex said:

Yep, and I'm no expert but I reckon it'll be a fair few years before we see a 'PC' handheld that's capable of running modern titles at suitable rates, and have a decent battery life. I just sit with mine plugged in anyway, and use my Switch as my main handheld gaming device.

On 6/14/2024 at 11:57 AM, Jason said:

Most Sony open world games don't have interesting open worlds tbh, they just have great production values and great gameplay, but the content is no better than what you get in a Ubisoft game. That being said, I was impressed by HFW's side content, it's not perfect but it was a huge step up over HZD, way better variety, map progression, etc.

Personally for me, there's definitely various factors that weigh in when it comes to the side content of an open world game. GoT is a visually stunning game, so I actually enjoy(ed) working my way through the various content, such as the Shrines, which were a puzzle in their own little area (only let down by the sometimes annoyingly finnicky jump controls), or the Fox dens that usually resulted in some combat or another little traversal through some areas. Admittedly, it did take me a while to realise that the green little fly's were there to lead you to hidden content. The rest of the content in some way helped with the lore of the world or the game itself. Apart from the numerous leaps of faith to my death, I've heavily enjoyed exploring the game.

I enjoyed both the Horizon games, but yeah, it's fair to say FW takes the upper hand, purely because of the advanced power of the game allowing for so much more.

On 6/14/2024 at 2:03 PM, Emmi said:

Been wanting one of these for a while now, but currently trying to research which is the better model, and also which model is best for what I'm after...

KilnerLUFC.gif

26 minutes ago, LongHairedFreakyGuy said:

I enjoyed both the Horizon games, but yeah, it's fair to say FW takes the upper hand, purely because of the advanced power of the game allowing for so much more.

I don't think it's so much that, it's that with FW they had a strong foundation to build on from the first game. That's always the key to any great game, having strong foundations, be it tech, systems, gameplay, etc.

I expect the next GoT to be orders of magnitudes better than GoT1 when it comes to side content because of that. If it's not, then I'd put major questions in front of SP tbh.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.